• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanoulis-Parker-Shved
    Diamantidis-Navarro
    Kirilenko-Batum
    Nowitzki-Ilyasova
    Pau-Marc-Noah

I think this team would pass USA 4-2 or 4-3...
    Republic of FENERBAHÇE

Comment

Originally posted by Chopin View Post
      I am sure that Europe team would play better team basketball in FIBA but the US would have 2-3better individualls + a better 1 on 1 game, this series could go eiter way, but I give a small + for Europe because of better passing ability + more experience in FIBA basketball.
      This is interesting. Why are you sure the Europe team would play better team basketball? For me, the biggest advantage elite non-US teams have in FIBA tournaments is their cohesion and familiarity with one another, which allows them to maximize their talent against a team of individually more talented players. If you are taking that national unity away, what makes you think chemistry will still be on the side of a mish-mash of Europe's best players?

Comment

C: Howard, Bynum
        PF: Bosh, Aldridge
        SF: Durant, Melo
        SG: Lebron, Kobe, & Westbrook
        PG: Paul, Willams, & Rose
        Kobe can create his shot better than Durant. If that's what you're trying to say then I absolutely agree with you. Though when it comes to scoring, it is, as it seems to me that Durant is a matchup nightmare. He is to fast for traditional height vs height schemes and shoots over the top of the average small forward.
        No disrespect intended but Thabo locking Westbrook down is a joke. There is know way Thabo stays in front of Westbrook. If you would of said Thabo locking down Lebron then I would of still disagreed but that matchup is more favorably to Thabo. The comment about him not being offensively smart I completely agree with you it's like his body goes faster than he can think. If he plays his role he can be a major asset but if he tries to do to much he is marginal at best.

Comment

Only Dirk can stop Dirk but on the flip side of that he can't stop no one either. Pau & Aldridge has a very similar game, both can play back to the basket and both players have an above average shot. Bosh is quicker than Gasol and his shot is slightly better but Gasol is a better rebounder. Ibaka defensively is a beast but if he's in you lose offensive production. Imo opinion this matchup is even because everything gained by Dirk is lost by his defense same scenario for Ibaka. I don't see Pau out playing Bosh or Aldridge but neither do I see them outplaying Gasol. Team work and schemes closes the gap between the two teams but individual talents and athleticism makes the difference. Thats why USA wins because if it was about team work Europe is far and away a 40 to 50 point favor. All the USA does is whoever has the ball score there is no sets no elaborate schemes and yet they win. These guys are to talented for schemes they will find a way to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasant View Post
            This is interesting. Why are you sure the Europe team would play better team basketball? For me, the biggest advantage elite non-US teams have in FIBA tournaments is their cohesion and familiarity with one another, which allows them to maximize their talent against a team of individually more talented players. If you are taking that national unity away, what makes you think chemistry will still be on the side of a mish-mash of Europe's best players?
            Their experience in their NT-s, where they played more cohesive basketball is a plus. There is also the issue Euroleague or 1.basketball leagues in Europe - NBA (for all the americans the NBA was their first pro-contract). So, a lot of Europe`s players have, besides NBA, also experiance in playing the best European league which is a big +, because the game is more team oriented there, especially in defense. More experience you have with different pro leagues better FIBA rules player you can be imo...

But maybe the nationality factor would be a strong + for the americans, that is a good point I guess. I dont know how strong the European pride against America would actually be . The motivation would not be a problem for Europe though imo, but it is hard to predict it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopin View Post
              Their experience in their NT-s, where they played more cohesive basketball is a plus. There is also the issue Euroleague or 1.basketball leagues in Europe - NBA (for all the americans the NBA was their first pro-contract). So, a lot of Europe`s players have, besides NBA, also experiance in playing the best European league which is a big +, because the game is more team oriented there, especially in defense. More experience you have with different pro leagues better FIBA rules player you can be imo...
              I definitely understand your point that most of these potential All-Europe Team players played significant amounts of time in European leagues before going to the NBA. Still, I think the USA is much better at understanding FIBA rules now than it was in, say, 2004, but that's probably because our core is so used to FIBA rules at this point. Future teams with newer players might be at a disadvantage there.

However, I wonder if it's true that other NTs play more cohesive basketball. To give some examples: Team USA averaged 25.0 assists per game this Olympics, while Spain averaged 19.3 assists per game and Russia averaged 19.8 (just for fun, Nigeria averaged 10.6 ).

Next, Team USA had five players average at least 11 points per game, compared to just three in Russia and Spain. Team USA also only had three players play more than 20 minutes per game, while Spain had five and Russia had six.

I know these averages aren't a perfect measure of what you're talking about, but I thikn a lot of fans, including USA fans (like me), tended to underestimate the "cohesion" of Team USA simply because they play a very unusual and unpredictable style of basketball that is unusually balanced, with no clear "alpha dog" (just a tier of three alpha dog-like players) and a whole roster of players who step up in some games and step back in others. In your opinion, was the 2010 USA team, with Durant as the clear go-to guy, a more cohesive team? If you think so, I think it's just an illusion

So unless I don't have your definition of cohesion in mind, I think Team USA is simply so balanced that it strikes us as a strange form of basketball, which we assume to be less cohesive. But I'm not sure that's true

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                As if team USA plays hard defense. All they did is shoot threes and make fast breaks. Their defense is nothing special. Actually it's pretty bad.
                They played an uptempo game and used their speed to their advantage. So it's usually a high scoring game. But they played defense when they have to. Look at the final quarter against Spain, they made all necessary stops and made adjustment at the end of the game. Spain only scored 18 and 6 of them are giveaways at the end. But I agree with you, USA defense was nothing special but it's not bad. Look at Russia, they played the best defense in the tourney, but they could not put a clamp on Spain on the 2nd half when they need it the most.

Comment

Originally posted by cwr View Post
                  C: Howard, Bynum
                  PF: Bosh, Aldridge
                  SF: Durant, Melo
                  SG: Lebron, Kobe, & Westbrook
                  PG: Paul, Willams, & Rose
                  Kobe can create his shot better than Durant. If that's what you're trying to say then I absolutely agree with you. Though
                  when it comes to scoring, it is, as it seems to me that Durant is a matchup nightmare. He is to fast for traditional height vs height schemes and shoots over the top of the average small forward.
                  No disrespect intended but Thabo locking Westbrook down is a joke. There is know way Thabo stays in front of Westbrook. If you would of said Thabo locking down Lebron then I would of still disagreed but that matchup is more favorably to Thabo. The comment about him not being offensively smart I completely agree with you it's like his body goes faster than
                  he can think. If he plays his role he can be a major asset but if he tries to do to much he is marginal at best.

If it is an NBA game, I don't think the Europe can beat Team USA in a best of 7. Defensive 3 second rule will make the lane wide open and Team USA is too fast on dribble penetration and 1 on 1. But in FIBA these are neutralized by playing full zone. Also in NBA rule, you can't leave like Howard 1 on 1 or Bynum, they gonna have to double them. But in FiBA, they can park in the painted and thus reducing post up guys like Howard and Bynum effectiveness. To me, it's quite a different a game. It's still basketball but international teams have better chance on FIBA game.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                    This team could beat USA, why not. But they could very well lose as well. In 7 games I would still bet 4:3 for USA probably.

On other hand against USA it should be more of athletic and fast lineup, I agree with Southpaw.

PG. T. Parker. Rubio.
                    SG. Rudy, Navarro (just to have one pure shooter), Batum (to use as a big guard)
                    SF. Kirilenko, Iliasova, Kleiza
                    PF Pau Gasol, Nowitzki, Ibaka
                    C Marc Gasol, Noah (or Mazgov, Kaun, Koufos)

This team would fit more against USA , IMO.
                    I like your team. The only thing I have to change is Ilyasova. Deng would actually be a better fit at SF.

Comment

What about an all world team?

What players could be added to the roster? Nash, Ginobili, Scola, Nene...

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
                        I like your team. The only thing I have to change is Ilyasova. Deng would actually be a better fit at SF.
                        Deng doesn't have exprerience on an international level. Illyasova has had a lot of playing time, both with Turkey as well as in the Euroleague.
                        PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by cwr View Post
                          PG: Chris Paul, Deron Willams, & Rajon Rondo
                          SG: Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, & Rusell Westbrook
                          SF: Lebron James, Kevin Durant, &Carmelo Anthony
                          PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Chris Bosh, & Kevin Love
                          C; DwightHoward, Andrew Bynum, & Kevin Garnett

No one mentioned what this all European squad would be up against. Starting five, Chris Paul, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, & Andrew Bynum. Dwight and Andrew will crush Pau, Marc, Joakim, Sergei, & especially Dirk. The 5 & 4 match up is not even close. Deng & Kirilenko holding Durant. Ok let me put it like this!, this dude has the potential to be the greatest scorer in NBA history. The only player who can stop Durant is Durant but it is 2 players imo that makes his shots a little more tough and that is Lebron and Deng. Kirilenko guarding Durant one on one forget about it. Now Navarro and Batum guarding Lebron is probably the worst possible match up between the two teams. Lebron easily in this matchup. PG: match up can go either way between Parker & Paul
                          Too much talent can work as a boomerang for the team chemistry. Actually this years team was almost as good as it gets. Twelve excelent players along with three superstars, Kobe, Lebron, Durant.
                          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

more like 12 superstars

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                              Too much talent can work as a boomerang for the team chemistry. Actually this years team was almost as good as it gets. Twelve excelent players along with three superstars, Kobe, Lebron, Durant.
                              I agree this was an all star line up.

Cheap Name Basketball Sneakers, Expert Reviews From ShoeFarmer Store, Ever seen a pair of Skechers Work Shoes/running Sneakers

Comment

Really someone mentioned Teodosic as PG?!

Spanoullis as starting SG????

niggaplease.jpg

Sir Yao Ming, knows there's better players to counter Team USA specifically

and let's no do cross generations comparisons
                                "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information