Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Domantas Sabonis thread

Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    From what I remember he tends to use his off hand to shield himself from possible block. In a game against heat he got an offensive foul for that once. He did that couple times last season as well. I hope they wont take it away from him, because without it some of those dunks could have been blocked.
    The thing is that in actual moment it's very hard to notice such contact (you can see James Johnson didn't even complain, such contact is meh in NBA, Domas made a wrist move rather than literally dragging him down). Most of the times offensive players gets away with that because they have overall strength advantage in those situations. I seen that moment you talked about and I thought it was huge exaggeration by refs, but at least they were consistent at both ends that night. NBA bigs gets away with way tougher moves like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2ZT1aPBoE

Here's from last season, Sabonis working with his right hand a little bit as well, but Lee never complained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83lsNGO-H8

The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    The thing is that in actual moment it's very hard to notice such contact (you can see James Johnson didn't even complain, such contact is meh in NBA, Domas made a wrist move rather than literally dragging him down). Most of the times offensive players gets away with that because they have overall strength advantage in those situations. I seen that moment you talked about and I thought it was huge exaggeration by refs, but at least they were consistent at both ends that night. NBA bigs gets away with way tougher moves like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2ZT1aPBoE

Here's from last season, Sabonis working with his right hand a little bit as well, but Lee never complained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y83lsNGO-H8
    Yepp thats the momment I was talking about. Seems worse on replay then when it actually happens. He needs to do those smart little things to compensate his short hands.

Boy Sabonis is good. 1 quarter against Wolves and he's just working: absolutely natural nifty passes, rebounding, sticks a jump shot, works on CAT in the post (5pts, 5rebouds, 1 assist in 6min). Easily most impressive players of Indiana at the moment since Myles Turner out. Don't know how he'll do later (got 2 early fouls) since I'm going to sleep, but from what I've have seen so far this season I can say he's really good, I didn't expect Sabonis to be that good already.

Boy Sabonis is good. 1 quarter against Wolves and he's just working: absolutely natural nifty passes, rebounding, sticks a jump shot, works on CAT in the post (5pts, 5rebouds, 1 assist in 6min). Easily most impressive players of Indiana at the moment since Myles Turner out. Don't know how he'll do later (got 2 early fouls) since I'm going to sleep, but from what I've have seen so far this season I can say he's really good, I didn't expect Sabonis to be that good already.
    Just the thought of him being with the NT this summer makes me wonder, if we would have won against greeks?

Its insane how good he is now. He can post up, has good footwork, can bully his opponents with strength, can rebound, can shoot, can dish passes, sets amazing screens, can stick with agile players in space on defense. He is good almost everywhere, not elite, but atleast average to good in all aspects of the game.

I expect his numbers to go down and normalize at around 11 ppg and 8 rpg when the season progresses and especially when Pacers' best big Turner is back into the rotation again, but yeah, he's playing a very smart and mature basketball for essentially still a teenage basketball player at 21 He's probably the smartest big man in the NBA right now, along with Marc Gasol for certain. And this especially bodes well for his career trajectory, as he essentially is almost not relying on any physicality in his game and gets things done on pure skill alone

Quote Originally Posted by Svajunas View Post
    Just the thought of him being with the NT this summer makes me wonder, if we would have won against greeks?
    He would have helped, I'm sure We had problems at 4 and I remember the moment when JV couldn't step out to prevent Bourousis from shooting three. That's not happening with Sabonis at 5. And, again, I think Sabonis' offensive game fits FIBA BB much better. With his passing ability and versatile offence, I really think we might make Sabonis a cornerstone, an axle of NT offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    Its insane how good he is now. He can post up, has good footwork, can bully his opponents with strength, can rebound, can shoot, can dish passes, sets amazing screens, can stick with agile players in space on defense. He is good almost everywhere, not elite, but atleast average to good in all aspects of the game.
    I think he has a chance to have one elite skill - scoring in the paint. He is ridiculously crafty under the board. And his p&r game now is kinda funny, he just spinning constantly setting screens, ready to receive the ball, it doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    He's probably the smartest big man in the NBA right now, along with Marc Gasol for certain. And this especially bodes well for his career trajectory, as he essentially is almost not relying on any physicality in his game and gets things done on pure skill alone
    Classy man You just couldn't, right?

Now i have to stay and watch the game . How long is that Turner guy is out for ? Sabonis seems to be lucky for the second year in a row to be able to start the games and get some credit points yearly .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    Now i have to stay and watch the game . How long is that Turner guy is out for ? Sabonis seems to be lucky for the second year in a row to be able to start the games and get some credit points yearly .
    Bad timing. Adams too big and strong for current Sabonis 2 quick fouls, few missed at O. Going to sleep

It's official now. Sabonis is the best Lithuanian big and arguably best player at the moment of the country. Didn't take too long. Sure, he will still have his inconsistencies offensively, some nights off, but he doesn't have any obvious flaws such as JV has. He really is the key player of Pacers at the moment. With him on the court, constantly making screens and moving the ball, stretching the floor or finishing in the paint, they are different team. Some clutch points and career high - 22pts, 12rebounds, 2assits in 33 minutes. Pacers big win over Spurs. Domas' highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85R75lNYByU
    Last edited by Straight forward; 10-30-2017 at 12:58 AM.

It's official now. Sabonis is the best Lithuanian big and arguably best player at the moment of the country. Didn't take too long. Sure, he will still have his inconsistencies offensively, some nights off, but he doesn't have any obvious flaws such as JV has. He really is the key player of Pacers at the moment. With him on the court, constantly making screens and moving the ball, stretching the floor or finishing in the paint, they are different team. Some clutch points and career high - 22pts, 12rebounds, 2assits in 33 minutes. Pacers big win over Spurs. Domas' highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85R75lNYByU
    you know, I like Sabonis Jr just as much as any other lithuanian player, but you are reaching here big time lmao...
    As you may well know, this was Domantas' best game in NBA yet. Do you know how JV started the season before he got injured? Yeah, he only dropped 23 and 15 and nobody even batted an eyelid because those numbers are a regular occurence to him. And he plays on a team with two entitled black holes offensively too, which further hinders his progress and career stats. But it's all good, as Doma is a very good player in his own right - sets the picks right, rolls to the basket in time and is benefitting from Pacers best players' absence. Like I said, we'll see what his numbers will look like when Turner returns

not need to overreact after 3 good games, Valanciunas is still best lithuanian player overall.Kuzminskas is best player we have right now in fiba game.

But saying that i believe in 2019-2020 it will be open question who is better center Valanciunas or Sabonis.We will have twin towers,but problem they both need to be centers.It will hard to play them together alot of minutes.When Domantas plays together with ale Valanciunas or Adams or in this year case Turner he is not effective in PF role.He cant use his inside skills,he is shooting jumpers in PF position.I have a feeling his numbers will fall when Turner will comeback from injury.I hope they gonna put him in second unite as center and wont put him as starter near 3 point line ale PF like thunder did and ltu2016 did.

what i like most about Domantas,he is strong on 2 areas where Jonas is very weak.Is basketball IQ and pickenroll defence.In fiba game IQ and pickeroll defence is way more important than strenght and lenght.Mobility is very important in todays basketball .

Well guys, it's only my opinion. As a coach I would pick current Sabonis over JV. With JV you always have defensive issues and very often offensive as well (tunnel vision, poor passing instincts). JV surely has his advantages, but whole package Sabonis brings looks more impressive to me. Flexibility, mobility, all around skills mean much more in current BB than few elite kills JV has. Another key thing: you can't make JV a No.1 option (again, he sucks at reading defences and never will be good at it even if he's slowly improving) and I can actually see Sabonis being one because he reads the defences naturally, instinctively, he can beat the double team with a good pass. Maybe not exactly now, but I can see Sabonis being a focal point of NT offence.

IMO, Sabonis is much more different now compared to what he was in 2016 OG. He shoots jumpers with much more confidence, but I agree that JV and Sabonis is not the best duet. Maybe splitting their minutes at 5 will be the best solution. 2 stud, dominant world class centers is not the worse thing to happen.

As for Kuzminskas, he may be our best offensive player at FIBA (yet we didn't see how current Sabonis deals with FIBA BB unfortunately), but he has his own flaws and issues - particularly defensive ones and he also still has focus issues, he can't bring consistent intensity, toughness and aggressiveness while he's in action. Some opponents abused him badly. That's the reason why coach is hesitant to play him in NBA - his defence is very mediocre...

I see such hierarchy of bigs today: Sabonis, JV, Jankunas, Gudaitis, D-Mo (D-Mo might reach 3rd spot if he shapes up in China)

And such hierarchy of best players overall: Sabonis, Valanciunas, Kuzminskas, Jankunas, Lekavicius
    Last edited by Straight forward; 10-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Sabonis continues to feast. This time heavy load of minutes and career high 6 assists. He also added 15pts, 12 rebounds in 37 minutes. That's another great thing about Sabonis, you can actually play him 36-40 minutes. It's barely happening with JV and many other big, lumberjack centers. Love how Indiana playing, it's an amazing trip so far, such a relief after the Raptors nightmare...they destroyed Cavs sharing the ball and playing aggressive transition BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOlMi8-ZOg
    Last edited by Straight forward; 11-02-2017 at 04:58 AM.

From RealGM Pacers board:

"Domantas Sabonis leads the Pacers in: RPG, eFG%, FG%, TS%, FTr, OWS, WS, WS/48, BPM, VORP, and is slightly behind Al Jefferson in PER

The Indiana Pacers outscore opponents by 5.4 points per 100 possessions when Domantas Sabonis is on the floor. They're outscored by 5.5 points per 100 possessions when he's on the bench.

Top 10 in PTS per PnR roll-man possession (min 25 POSS) 1-Julius Randle (1.56) 2-Rudy Gobert/Clint Capela/Kristaps Porzingis (1.47) 5-Al Horford (1.39) 6-Blake Griffin (1.36) 7-Pau Gasol (1.33) 8-Domantas Sabonis (1.25) 9-Karl-Anthony Towns (1.24) 10-Nene (1.21)

Domantas Sabonis has a REB% of 20.2 and an AST% of 15.6. Players who’ve had 20+ REB%/15+ AST% seasons: Charles Barkley (3x), Tom Boerwinkle (2x), DeMarcus Cousins (2x), Kevin Garnett (2x), Carlos Boozer, Nikola Jokic, Clifford Ray and Bill Walton."

I am not gonna lie , Pacers is the team I like to watch instead of Toronto nowadays .
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by auris1 View Post
    I am not gonna lie , Pacers is the team I like to watch instead of Toronto nowadays .
    Pacers is pleasure, Raptors is pain.

It's not even close really...

Pacers is pleasure, Raptors is pain.

It's not even close really...
    If we swapped the coaches and management of both respective teams you guys would change your opinion instantly...

Now it's a real battle between Turner and Sabonis, who's the boss big of Pacers. The question is - can Sabonis keep it up, he's amazing now and how much better will Turner be in the future, obviously he's not 100% yet. The situation now has been described like this:

"While their baseline stats appear similar -- a lone point and rebound separate their per-game production -- evidence the Pacers are a better team with Sabonis on the floor is around every corner."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ner/852779001/

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    If we swapped the coaches and management of both respective teams you guys would change your opinion instantly...
    Really? Just coaches and management?

4th Q assist numbers:

JV : 23 minutes : 2 assists : 1 turnover
    DD : 68 minutes : 2 assists: 5 turnovers

God I hope that JV gets traded. I know that its his fault too that he is not working on his game enough, but omg he is in a bad enviroment.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314