Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 2014-2020 be as successful as 2006-2012 for Team USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
    '08 was nothing special when compared to other classes. Do you even know who was in those classes? Maybe we should clarify something- When you say those '06-'08 classes are the golden generation do you mean as feeder classes into Team USA or into the NBA in general? You're not being very clear.

Also I'd like to hear your case as to why Rondo is the most overrated player in the NBA.
    Not even remotely true. I'm talking about the players, period. Whether they play in the NBA or for Team USA, those three classes are the best in decades. Considering that's roughly my age group, I know very well who was in those classes thanks.

He gets called one of the best point guards in the league when he's not even remotely a point guard. He could barely even score until this year, and even still he has yet to play in a situation where he actually gets guarded on every play, he plays no defense and only goes for steals, he makes every play harder than it has to be and does nothing but try to draw attention to himself and show off his nonexistent streetball skills.

That's why.

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
    He should have represented Australia had he chosen to, prior to being a member of the 2010 USA U18 and 2011 U19 USA squads. Irving does not know FIBA qualifications pertaining to citizenship.
    Ryan Richards is supposedly going to play for Jamaica though even though he played for GB prior to this. Can't Kyrie do the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
      Not even remotely true. I'm talking about the players, period. Whether they play in the NBA or for Team USA, those three classes are the best in decades. Considering that's roughly my age group, I know very well who was in those classes thanks.

He gets called one of the best point guards in the league when he's not even remotely a point guard. He could barely even score until this year, and even still he has yet to play in a situation where he actually gets guarded on every play, he plays no defense and only goes for steals, he makes every play harder than it has to be and does nothing but try to draw attention to himself and show off his nonexistent streetball skills.

That's why.

Ryan Richards is supposedly going to play for Jamaica though even though he played for GB prior to this. Can't Kyrie do the same thing?
      I can see that there have been a number of good players in those classes but to say that they are the best for Team USA simply isn't true. The best in decades? Wow........and..........no.

And I guess we'll agree to disagree about Rondo. The guy who led the league in assists is "not even remotely a PG"? And how is he "not guarded on every play"? That simply is not true. I think you are misinterpreting defenders backing off of him because of his broken jumper with not defending him. He's a very good rebounder for his size and is the glue that makes that Celtics offense go. Plus, he comes up big in playoff games all the time. I partially agree with you about the going for steals but I would reel back your comment and say he 'goes for steals too often' instead of 'plays no defense and only goes for steals'. He's a disruptor on the defensive side of the ball which, historically, it has been shown that most teams need one guy who disrupts and plays the passing lanes to be successful. His win shares, wins against replacement player, defensive win shares, assist %, Player Efficiency Rating all say he is a very good player. And you have it wrong that he couldn't score until this year, that's backwards. He actually scored more and was more efficient 2-3 years ago.

I admit that he's actually taken a step back in the last year on the offensive end, IMO. But many of your claims about him, well, the evidence just isn't there to back it up. I think the guy is a top 20 player in the league.

Comment

We could also argue the case of Roy Hibbert who wanted his release from Jamaica's national basketball federation to be able to suit up for Team USA. FIBA Article 3-23 says otherwise.
        Sacramento Kings
        HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

He should have represented Australia had he chosen to, prior to being a member of the 2010 USA U18 and 2011 U19 USA squads. Irving does not know FIBA qualifications pertaining to citizenship.
          He didn't play for the U19, only U18. Players certainly have switched but it would require approval from FIBA and in practice probably USA Basketball as well. IMO if he was going to try to switch to Australia it would have happened this year.
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
            He didn't play for the U19, only U18. Players certainly have switched but it would require approval from FIBA and in practice probably USA Basketball as well. IMO if he was going to try to switch to Australia it would have happened this year.
            Wait... Now I'm confused.
            Austin Rivers, Kyrie Irving and Vander Blue highlights from the FIBA Americas 18U tournament in San Antonio. From SI.com's Luke Winn.

I remember now, U19, Kyrie Irving could not suit up.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Considering Durant will only be 25 in 2014 and 31 in 2020 it's safe to say that yes Usa will be as dominant as during 06-12.

Comment

I can see that there have been a number of good players in those classes but to say that they are the best for Team USA simply isn't true. The best in decades? Wow........and..........no.

And I guess we'll agree to disagree about Rondo. The guy who led the league in assists is "not even remotely a PG"? And how is he "not guarded on every play"? That simply is not true. I think you are misinterpreting defenders backing off of him because of his broken jumper with not defending him. He's a very good rebounder for his size and is the glue that makes that Celtics offense go. Plus, he comes up big in playoff games all the time. I partially agree with you about the going for steals but I would reel back your comment and say he 'goes for steals too often' instead of 'plays no defense and only goes for steals'. He's a disruptor on the defensive side of the ball which, historically, it has been shown that most teams need one guy who disrupts and plays the passing lanes to be successful. His win shares, wins against replacement player, defensive win shares, assist %, Player Efficiency Rating all say he is a very good player. And you have it wrong that he couldn't score until this year, that's backwards. He actually scored more and was more efficient 2-3 years ago.

I admit that he's actually taken a step back in the last year on the offensive end, IMO. But many of your claims about him, well, the evidence just isn't there to back it up. I think the guy is a top 20 player in the league.
                You should really drop the attitude until you learn more about basketball. The generation labeled the "hip hop" generation of basketball produced immature, often flawed players with the exception of guys like LeBron. This generation, on the other hand, produced mature, more complete players who play the game the right way with the exception of a few players who never had to work hard enough to grow up and so they didn't go anywhere.

He led the league in assists because he only passed the ball when he would get an assist and because the players he passes it to are some of the best, most talented scorers in the league. He doesn't play like a point guard and never has. At best, he plays like a combo guard. He actually doesn't get guarded so yeah it is completely true. How can you call somebody who missed open layups, could barely shoot or even do any kind of skilled move before this year an "efficient scorer"? They didn't defend him because he was not, isn't now, and isn't ever going to be the focus of the offense on any good team. He's not a good rebounder just because he gets high stats. He goes into the paint when he should be playing defense or getting back after a missed shot. He is not even remotely any kind of glue but in fact an anchor who holds his team back. He didn't come up big in any playoff games; I've watched them all. He's not any kind of defender, not a disruptor or anything else. He's somebody who goes for steals because he's all about the attention and glory. Those "advanced" stats are bullshit and made up by nerds who don't actually understand the game.

Actually, the evidence of the game film is in fact there. You think wrong. If you want to learn, give me the time to and I can point out to you in any piece of game tape you can find exactly what he does wrong and why, even his "highlights".

We could also argue the case of Roy Hibbert who wanted his release from Jamaica's national basketball federation to be able to suit up for Team USA. FIBA Article 3-23 says otherwise.
                So does this mean that Ryan Richards won't be able to suit up for Jamaica either?

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                Considering Durant will only be 25 in 2014 and 31 in 2020 it's safe to say that yes Usa will be as dominant as during 06-12.
                But he doesn't do the things LeBron does when it comes to being a point-forward or on the defensive end. Who's going to do that in the future or do you think maybe the USA instead goes to a more traditional set-up with a guy who mainly defends and hits shots at the 3 and having the PG run the offense at all times?

Comment

So does this mean that Ryan Richards won't be able to suit up for Jamaica either?
                  Yes. Richards should continue with GB.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

You should really drop the attitude until you learn more about basketball. The generation labeled the "hip hop" generation of basketball produced immature, often flawed players with the exception of guys like LeBron. This generation, on the other hand, produced mature, more complete players who play the game the right way with the exception of a few players who never had to work hard enough to grow up and so they didn't go anywhere.

He led the league in assists because he only passed the ball when he would get an assist and because the players he passes it to are some of the best, most talented scorers in the league. He doesn't play like a point guard and never has. At best, he plays like a combo guard. He actually doesn't get guarded so yeah it is completely true. How can you call somebody who missed open layups, could barely shoot or even do any kind of skilled move before this year an "efficient scorer"? They didn't defend him because he was not, isn't now, and isn't ever going to be the focus of the offense on any good team. He's not a good rebounder just because he gets high stats. He goes into the paint when he should be playing defense or getting back after a missed shot. He is not even remotely any kind of glue but in fact an anchor who holds his team back. He didn't come up big in any playoff games; I've watched them all. He's not any kind of defender, not a disruptor or anything else. He's somebody who goes for steals because he's all about the attention and glory. Those "advanced" stats are bullshit and made up by nerds who don't actually understand the game.

Actually, the evidence of the game film is in fact there. You think wrong. If you want to learn, give me the time to and I can point out to you in any piece of game tape you can find exactly what he does wrong and why, even his "highlights".

But he doesn't do the things LeBron does when it comes to being a point-forward or on the defensive end. Who's going to do that in the future or do you think maybe the USA instead goes to a more traditional set-up with a guy who mainly defends and hits shots at the 3 and having the PG run the offense at all times?
                    Well it simply seems like we won't be seeing eye to eye and I'll resist the urge to put you in your place for saying that I'm the one who needs to drop the attitude.

Comment

Well it simply seems like we won't be seeing eye to eye and I'll resist the urge to put you in your place for saying that I'm the one who needs to drop the attitude.
                      You'll "resist the urge to" because you're incapable of it. You mouthed off to somebody who knows more about basketball than you, somebody who can back everything he says up with game tape. Have you ever even played basketball? I have and do pretty damn often against all kinds of very talented players, some of whom played in college. I know why players like Rondo are an anchor that holds the team back, how important it is for your point guard to not be an attention-whore and to get you the ball consistently in a place where you're comfortable, etc. I clearly know a lot more about basketball than you do, no matter what stats you try to pull out of your ass.
                      Last edited by CHBB; 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

You'll "resist the urge to" because you're incapable of it. You mouthed off to somebody who knows more about basketball than you, somebody who can back everything he says up with game tape. Have you ever even played basketball? I have and do pretty damn often against all kinds of very talented players, some of whom played in college. I know why players like Rondo are an anchor that holds the team back, how important it is for your point guard to not be an attention-whore and to get you the ball consistently in a place where you're comfortable, etc. I clearly know a lot more about basketball than you do, no matter what stats you try to pull out of your ass.
                        Nice try, tough guy. I still play on a traveling team that goes all over the state and I'm guessing I've been playing and watching basketball for almost longer than you've been on this Earth.

Know more than me? Your arguments have been baseless, you back things up with your only evidence being what you see. I back mine up with what I see, along with the opinions of countless experts and statistics that you don't like because, frankly I would bet every penny I have, that you simply don't understand them. Essentially I've got a butt load of evidence and your evidence is in your own head and nowhere else. I don't even know why I'm taking the time to argue this with a guy who doesn't even know how many teams are in the NBA:

One other point......I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.

Either way, I've got an over/under of 70 posts before this guy gets banned.
                        Last edited by NorCal; 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                          I dunno if Durant will want to play in 2014 but I think he will play in 2016 Olympics if healthy. Most likely we will see more young players with few veterans in 2014. Team USA does not really care much about world championship so I am not sure if they will win that.

Comment

I see trends in you of not addressing the issue as stated, underlying anger management issues, trying (and failing miserably) to get other posters mad, biases that have no evidence to back them up, incredibly misguided perception of yourself and your limited basketball knowledge...........is that you Fiba Europe Basket/whatever you call yourself these days? Are you still mad about Nigeria? I'm taking a stab in the dark but you remind me of him a lot.
                            Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
                            2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
                            3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

All meant in good fun, of course

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
                              I dunno if Durant will want to play in 2014 but I think he will play in 2016 Olympics if healthy. Most likely we will see more young players with few veterans in 2014. Team USA does not really care much about world championship so I am not sure if they will win that.
                              It's still way too early to tell, but it seems your impressions are right on all accounts. Durant probably would play in 2016, and I do think that LeBron would be a possibility: being Team USA's all-time leading scorer and the only four-time Team USA Olympian has to have some legacy appeal.

As for 2014, unfortunately it seems like Davis is the most likely person from this 2012 team to make a reappearance. For what it's worth, ESPN is quoting a sketchy "insider" as saying that 2014 will be a youth movement team highlighted by players like Irving and Davis

Source: http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...sa-roster-2016

Comment

Originally posted by Pleasant View Post
                                Haha! I know who you mean; he's still trolling on some smaller, unmoderated blogs. If you're interested in hearing the latest from him, it seems that David Stern, in addition to bribing the Olympic refs (as usual) also bribed the Spanish federation to force them to play its inferior NBA players because he knew that they would beat Team USA if they played their superior Euroleague players

While I see the similarities between the two in terms of posting styles and impolite language, I also think the FIBA guy is genetically incapable of saying anything good about the USA or anything that (even indirectly) questions the superiority of Spanoulis and Greek basketball in general

My three stabs in the dark about CHBB:

1. He's just a guy who's very passionate and opinionated about his basketball, and lets his emotions get in the way of manners sometimes;
                                2. He's the type of person who will never outwardly agree with someone or be able to be convinced to change his mind, because every conversation is a competition that he has to win; or
                                3. He really is FIBA/Olympiacos/VS666, posing as a Team USA fan as part of a diabolical plan to make Americans seem mean-spirited and arrogant towards other countries

All meant in good fun, of course
                                Yeah I've caught some of 'internet basketball's most famous troll' on some other sites. At some point it actually becomes pretty entertaining instead of frustrating.

As for CHBB- assuming he's not Fiba Europe Basket- I don't have a problem with disagreeing with each other, its just the way he phrases everything in a confrontational manner and dismisses things you say that he doesn't agree on with abrasive language. Nobody likes being talked to (or written to I should say) in that way and so of course there are going to be disputes. CHBB- just tone it down a little bit and none of these threads will become flame wars. I'd like to hear your opinion on all things basketball and will respect it going forward as long as you'll do the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information