Who will replace Coack K since this is his last stint as Team USA Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will replace Coack K since this is his last stint as Team USA Coach

Who ever his replacement is, those shoes will be really big to fill. I can't think of any coach that will be able to accomplished what he did for USA Basketball. He will surely be missed. Does this mean the end of a terrific run since 2008 and what going to happen for Team USA in 2016? He guided and won the 2010 World Championships dispite aganst all odds. I hope that USA Basketball will continue to flourish and continue Coach K legacy in years to come.

Rivers and Popovich seem to be the front runners.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

^That's what I was going to say. Rivers and Pop.

Comment

What do you guys think...

What do you guys think about a foreign coach?

Comment

I think it would be difficult to have a foreign coach for Team USA. I think Coach K had it right- you need to give our guys enough structure to be organized on the court but it is detrimental to try to have too much structure given the short preparation time we usually have before each tournament.

I would personally love to see more structure and strategy but with the roster turnover we always have and the fact the limited preparation time I don't know if that will ever be an option for us.

My vote is for Popovich. I love him as a coach. He would be respected by the players and the offense they run in San Antonio is the type of offense I would like to see the USA run. Plus, Pop was an assistant previously with Team USA for what that's worth.

Comment

The two front runners would have to be Rivers and Popvich, with Doug Collins and John Calipari as dark horses.

My vote would be for Doc Rivers. I like the continuity that Coach K provided, coaching in the 2006 World Championships, 2008 Olympics, 2010 World Championships, and the 2012 Olympic Games. My worry with Popovich is that at the next Olympic Games, he'll be 67 and then 71 in 2020. I'd prefer to see a coach come on for two World Championships and two Olympic Games. Rivers can provide that, not sure if Popovich can.

I throw Calipari in just because I've thought for some time that someone high up, perhaps Colangelo, told him to go coach another country in order to get exposure to FIBA basketball, as him coaching a team such as the U-19's was not feasible. Plus, Calipari is as good as anyone at getting stars to play together, albeit at the college level.

Comment

Popovich because of how he has handles Spurs basically-- not only coaching but GM'ing (not a word, of course )
              If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

My first choice is Doc Rivers. My second choice is Billy Donovan.
                Sacramento Kings
                HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Has to be a "players coach" that isn't wedded to an offensive system and is comfortable playing a very uptempo style. Not sure who that is, there isn't anyone in the NBA who plays like our team played but then there isn't any team that has the same collection of talent. Pains me to say it but K was the perfect coach for this program. Cal would actually be a decent choice but too controversial.
                  Originally posted by Fedfan
                  Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                  Originally posted by GuTO
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

How about someone from the college ranks, say Tom Izzo or even Butler's Brad Stevens, give or take four years?
                    Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Mike-DAntoni-Playoffs.jpg

He will introduce the no-lay-up rule...on offense. Only 3 pt chucking :0
                      47-70
                      76-58

Comment

Doc Rivers also endorses Doug Collins of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Rivers: Collins Should Replace Coach K
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

I think the best choices are Popovich and Rivers. Pop understands the international game. Rivers is great with Xs and Os too. Rivers might be a reason that Rondo finally gets on board. I think the assistant coaches should remain the same. D'Antoni and McMillian did a great job.

Comment

Both D'Antoni and McMillan are the unsung heroes of Team USA's endeavor. Coach K himself values their inputs during pre-game, in-game and post-game. If ever this is the last time Coach K will be at the helm and someone else from Rivers, Collins or Popovic assumes the mentorship, they will most likely pick out their own assistant coaches.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

If Coach K steps away, Colangelo may find respite in the college ranks again. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo is interested in the position, and Colangelo confirmed to Lansing State Journal columnist Joe Rexrode that the Spartan is a contender for the job.

"I think he's a terrific coach and a great guy," said Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo, confirming only that Izzo is one of several possible candidates to replace Krzyzewski. "And I love his (style), he's got a toughness to him that is very impressive. And he's well-respected."

Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich (who has reported beef with Colangelo) are the apparent front-runners for the position, but having a college coach in that position certainly has limited the controversy, which might be worth it. That said, it should be Pop's job to lose, if he wants it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information