Top Players at Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Players at Olympic Qualifying Tournament

So now that we have the rosters pretty much established, who do you think are the best players at the tournament by position?

PG: Arroyo, McCalebb, Spanoulis
    SG: Barea, Vasquez, Fridzon
    SF: Kirilenko, Aminu, Garcia
    PF: Kleiza, Khryapa, Printezis
    C: Horford, Valanciunas, Mozgov

Honorable Mention: Martinez, Akingbala, Shved, Vukona, Morais, Jasikevicius, Bourousis

An alternative roster

Even if we exclude all the players from Christodoulos76’s list we are still able to come up with a very decent team.

PG: Shabazz Napier (1.82, 1991, Dominican Republic), Vlado Ilievsky (Macedonia)
    G: Nikos Zisis (1.96, 1983, Greece)
    SG: Larry Ayuso (1.85, 1977, Puerto Rico)
    SG/SF: Kostas Vasiliadis (2.00, 1984, Greece)
    SF: Olímpio Cipriano (1,92, 1982, Angola), Kostas Papanikolau (2.03, 1990, Greece)
    PF: Zaid Abbas (2.03, 1983, Jordan), Paulius Jankunas (2.05, 1984, Lituania)
    PF/C: Olumide Oyedeji (2.08, 1981, Nigeria)
    C: Daniel Santiago (2.16, 1976, Puerto Rico), Pero Antic (2.10, 1982, Macedonia)

Comment

Originally posted by christodoulou76 View Post
      So now that we have the rosters pretty much established, who do you think are the best players at the tournament by position?

PG: Arroyo, McCalebb, Spanoulis
      SG: Barea, Vasquez, Fridzon
      SF: Kirilenko, Aminu, Garcia
      PF: Kleiza, Khryapa, Printezis

Honorable Mention: Martinez, Akingbala, Shved, Vukona, Morais, Jasikevicius, Bourousis
      You don't actually think that Arroyo is better than McCalebb and Spanoulis do you? Seriously?

Aminu and Garcia? How are they even that good of players? They are not at the same level as the other players you have mentioned here.

Valanciunas is better than Bourousis how? Vazquez better than Jasikevicius?

Akingbala, Vukona, and Morais probably don't even make the rosters of most of the European teams in the tournament.

Originally posted by JRS Bonnet View Post
      Even if we exclude all the players from Christodoulos76’s list we are still able to come up with a very decent team.

PG: Shabazz Napier (1.82, 1991, Dominican Republic), Vlado Ilievsky (Macedonia)
      G: Nikos Zisis (1.96, 1983, Greece)
      SG: Larry Ayuso (1.85, 1977, Puerto Rico)
      SG/SF: Kostas Vasiliadis (2.00, 1984, Greece)
      SF: Olímpio Cipriano (1,92, 1982, Angola), Kostas Papanikolau (2.03, 1990, Greece)
      PF: Zaid Abbas (2.03, 1983, Jordan), Paulius Jankunas (2.05, 1984, Lituania)
      PF/C: Olumide Oyedeji (2.08, 1981, Nigeria)
      C: Daniel Santiago (2.16, 1976, Puerto Rico), Pero Antic (2.10, 1982, Macedonia)
      These players in bold are not that good. Also, Santiago is well past his prime.

I don't see how any of those in bold or Santiago are among the best payers in the tournament.

Papanikolaou still isn't proven at the senior national team level yet, but he certainly looks good recently.

Antic, Zisis, Abbas, Ilievsky, Vasileiadis, Jankunas are proven players and still producing. But Ilievsky isn't what he used to be, and Jankunas is nothing special.

Antic, Abbas, Zisis, Vasileiadis stand out to me from that list, along with Papanikolaou, if he can continue his recent level of play.
      Last edited by Olympiacos; 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Oyedeji is a very good rebounder and plays hard, but he has no post moves and would miss layups, many times he simply flops on offense trying to get calls. Still an effective player and a good leader.
        aim low, score high

Comment

Penitence and justification

Responding to “Olympiacos” criticism:

I guess I was showing my age by selecting Larry Ayuso, Daniel Santiago and Vlado Ilievski, players on the downside of brilliant careers. However, I still stand by my decision to include Olímpio Cipriano on the list. I hope he proves me right by helping Angola to surprisingly qualify for London, an achievement almost as great as CDR Libolo (Cipriano’s team) Angolan title.
          Shabazz Napier could turn out to be the best player on that roster… or a huge flop (his sophomore season was inconclusive).
          Last edited by JRS Bonnet; 06-15-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Responding to “Olympiacos” critics:

I guess I was showing my age by selecting Larry Ayuso, Daniel Santiago and Vlado Ilievski, players on the downside of brilliant careers. However, I still stand by my decision to include Olímpio Cipriano on the list. I hope he proves me right by helping Angola to surprisingly qualify for London, an achievement almost as great as CDR Libolo (Cipriano’s team) Angolan title.
            Shabazz Napier could turn out to be the best player on that roster… or a huge flop (his sophomore season was inconclusive).
            OK, I know what you mean about the players that got old. Cipriano is indeed a good player, it's just that he is inconsistent and injury prone. To me he isn't reliable. He seems very good one summer, then average in the next summer, due to injury issues.

Comment

top Qalifying tournament players: Stojanovski ,McCalebb ,Antic ,Samardziski.

Comment

There should be some room for Jordan's NT Leader/Captain (Sam Daghles) ... best Point Guard in Asia & CBA in the past couple of years. ;-)

Comment

I'll include 5 players on each position 'cause there are a lot of solid players here:
                  PG: Bo McCalebb (Macedonia), Greivis Vasquez (Venezuela), J.J. Barea (Puerto Rico), Edgar Sosa (Dominicana; if he will play), Mantas Kalnietis (Lithuania)
                  SG: Vassilis Spanoulis (Greece), Vitali Fridzon (Russia), Alexei Shved (Russia), Rimantas Kaukenas (Lithuania), Kostas Vasileiades (Greece)
                  SF: Andrei Kirilenko (Russia), Jonas Maciulis (Lithuania), Eulis Baez (Dominicana), Oscar Torres (Venezuela; I know he is 37 y.o. but the memories of him playing in Khimki are so sweet), Segei Monya (Russia)
                  PF: Viktor Khryapa (Russia), Linas Kleiza (Lithuania), Georgios Printezis (Greece), Pero Antic (Macedonia), Nathan Peavy (Puerto Rico; is he on the roster?)
                  C: Al Horford (Dominicana), Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania), Timofei Mozgov (Russia), Ioannis Bourousis (Greece), Josh Asselin (Dominicana)
                  2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

Comment

Well after Puerto Rico's games against Dominican Republic and Mecedonia (twice) I think it is pretty safe to say that Bo McCalebb is not in the level of Barea and Arroyo considering that even Filiberto Rivera, who is already cut from the PR squad, outplayed him at times. Another thing is that both PJ Ramos and Daniel Santiago are better than Josh Asselin who pretty much seemed like a useless player for Dominican Republic.

At the PF position Nathan Peavy and JM Martinez should be included at the top players, maybe at the top 5 PF.

Comment

It's tough to decide...

I 'll make a try to pick the 3 best in every position:

PG: Vasquez, Barea, McKalebb
                      SG: Spanoulis, Shved, Kaoukenas
                      SF: Kirilenko, Kleiza, Aminu
                      PF: Printezis, Diogu, khryapa

Comment

PG: Shabazz Napier (1.82, 1991, Dominican Republic)
                        Surprised no one called you out on this. Napier is puerto rican.

I suppose you might have meant Edgar Sosa or confused the countries?
                        Originally posted by J-Mart
                        the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDW View Post
                          Well after Puerto Rico's games against Dominican Republic and Mecedonia (twice) I think it is pretty safe to say that Bo McCalebb is not in the level of Barea and Arroyo considering that even Filiberto Rivera, who is already cut from the PR squad, outplayed him at times. Another thing is that both PJ Ramos and Daniel Santiago are better than Josh Asselin who pretty much seemed like a useless player for Dominican Republic.

At the PF position Nathan Peavy and JM Martinez should be included at the top players, maybe at the top 5 PF.
                          Originally posted by TDW View Post

Too early to make that statement, not to mention Barea and McCaleb both sucked offensively. What games where you watching? Bo had 28 points combined and Barea scored 24.

Barea had 17 assists and Bo 15 assists.

So they are practically equal, just like I said last year when I watched Bo against the europeans: "Damn when did Barea request the macedonian nationality?"

Arroyo might be otros 20 pesos
                          Originally posted by J-Mart
                          the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saalsapr View Post
                            Too early to make that statement, not to mention Barea and McCaleb both sucked offensively. What games where you watching? Bo had 28 points combined and Barea scored 24.

Barea had 17 assists and Bo 15 assists.

So they are practically equal, just like I said last year when I watched Bo against the europeans: "Damn when did Barea request the macedonian nationality?"

Arroyo might be otros 20 pesos
                            Hello saalsapr,
                            please have a look at Private message when you can.
                            Thanks!

Matteo

Comment

The best five:
                              1.Bo MaCcaleb(FYROM)
                              2.Vasilis Spanoulis(Greece)
                              3.Andrei Kirilenko(Russia)
                              4.Linas Kleiza(Lithuania)
                              5.Giannis Bourousis(Greece)

Comment

Working...
                              X