Portuguese LPB 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese LPB 2012-2013

Sports newspaper Record informs that FC Porto waived PG José Costa (1.87, 1973). The former member of the Portuguese NT says that he is not yet ready to retire.

Welcome back, coach

Académica Coimbra has a new Head Coach and it is a familiar face: NORBERTO ALVES replaces Orlando Simões.

Comment

New rules for the V LPB (2012-2013)

These are old news but well worth mentioning again. In 2012-2013, the number of foreign players will be limited to 3 (three!!!) per team. Furthermore, each team will have to include 3 (three) U23 players on their roster.

Comment

Wise move

PG MÁRIO FERNANDES (1.74, 1982) signed a two years contract with FC Porto. This is a huge move by FC Porto. Last season, the point guard scored 11.5 points and dished out 6.6 assists for CAB Madeira. He will probably be the starting PG for the Portuguese NT in the qualification campaign for EUROBAKET 2013.

Comment

Work in progress

F.C. Porto remains very active this offseason: according to the team’s site, contract extensions were agreed between the club and NUNO MARÇAL (SF, 2.05, 1975), DAVID GOMES (PF/C, 2.00, 1986) and DIOGO CORREIA (G, 1.82, 1990). Furthermore, ANDRÉ BESSA (PG, 1.79, 1989) returns from his loan to Vitória Guimarães where, last season, he posted encouraging numbers: 7.8 points, 2.0 assists and 1.57 steals.

Comment

One more season... really???

Acording to a local site (Guimaraesdigital.com), Vitória Guimarães will participate in the 2012-2013 LPB season. The team currently has 0 (zero) players, one head coach (Fernando Sá) that accepted a salary reduction and a budget of about 50 000 Euros.

Comment

He will be missed

Small-forward SÉRGIO RAMOS (2.00, 1975), arguably the best Portuguese player of the last 15 years, will not play for S.L. Benfica next season and will probably retire. He was offered a position on the coaching staff but an agreement is yet to be achieved. Last season, despite injuries, Ramos was still able to be a very productive player: 10.0 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 steals, tons of character and outstanding leadership.

Comment

He'll be missed. He still holds the record for most points in a league game (55).
                Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Académica de Coimbra waived point guard Miguel Barroca (1.82, 1984). Last season, Barroca fought Diogo Simões for the starting PG job. His stats: 6.5 points, 2.0 assists and 1.14 steals.

Comment

S.L. Benfica lost one of their brightest prospects: ANTÓNIO MONTEIRO (PF/C, 2.02, 1989) will head for Angola having signed a contract with reigning champions C.R.D. Libolo.

Comment

F.C. Barreirense lost their Spanish head-coach: next season, ANTONIO HERRERA will be in charge of Basquet Coruña (LEB Silver).

Comment

Originally posted by JRS Bonnet View Post
                        S.L. Benfica lost one of their brightest prospects: ANTÓNIO MONTEIRO (PF/C, 2.02, 1989) will head for Angola having signed a contract with reigning champions C.R.D. Libolo.
                        Is it common for Portuguese players to head to play in Angola because I thought it was usually Angolans who would go to play in Portugal?

I know that Angola used to be a Portuguese colony and speak Portuguese so this definitely helps.

And which league would you consider to be better because recently and with the economic crisis and such I think the Angolan league has become slightly more competitive than the Portuguese one I think?

Comment

Times... they are changing

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                          Is it common for Portuguese players to head to play in Angola because I thought it was usually Angolans who would go to play in Portugal?

And which league would you consider to be better because recently and with the economic crisis and such I think the Angolan league has become slightly more competitive than the Portuguese one I think?
                          The days when the best Angolan players (Jean-Jacques Conceição, José Carlos Guimarães, Aníbal Moreira, David Dias, Paulo Macedo …) spent several seasons in the Portuguese league are long gone.

I completely agree with your opinion about the Angolan league being more competitive than the LPB. Basketball popularity in the African nation, the economic crisis in Portugal and the Angolan economic boom allowed the Angolan clubs not only to retain the top local talent but also to offer Portuguese coaches (Mário Palma, Alberto Babo, Luís Magalhães) better working conditions.

António Monteiro is following the footsteps of Armando Costa (starting PG of the Angolan NT), a player formed in C.A. Queluz (near Lisbon).

Comment

Yes, there's definitely a shift there. I can see more Portuguese players going to Angola where salaries are higher and the league much more competitive. Besides, there they can have the chance to win a continental title...
                            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Thanks for the info. guys

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information