The Chris Tang Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chris Tang Thread

He is transferring to Oak Hill Academy. This is the same school that had Carmelo Anthony, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Jennings, Josh Smith, Tyson Lawson, and for 1 year Kevin Durant.

Another product of Boo Williams' program, rising junior guard Chris Tang of Hampton Roads Academy, is Oak Hill-bound, according to his host family in Williamsburg. Tang hails from China and as a sophomore earned first-team Division II all-state honors from the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association.
    Also already gaining interest from D1 Universities:

There may be a simmering diplomatic battle between China and Taiwan in trying to claim the allegiance and origin of budding Knicks star Jeremy Lin, but there's no debate about where the next Jeremy Lin hails from: He is Chinese, and he is a spectacular, under-the-radar prospect tearing up the mid-Atlantic prep hoops scene. Continue reading

While Lin slipped almost completely below the radar, it seems exceedingly unlikely that a similar fate will befall Tang, who has been living in Virginia with a foster family since arriving in the U.S. as an eighth-grader and is reportedly completely comfortable with life as an American teen.
    The sophomore -- who is currently averaging more than 20 points per game -- also stars for the powerhouse Boo Williams AAU program on the summer circuit, where he has already caught the eye of recruiters from Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Davidson, among other schools. A strong academic candidate, Tang has also reportedly piqued the interest of Lin's alma mater Harvard.

Maryland recruiting 2014 PG Chris Tang, the "next Jeremy Lin"

I don't like the stereotypical "He's Asian so he has to be the next Jeremy Lin!" thing, but I know we'll see it everywhere for the next few months. Anyway, Tang, a 2014 PG from Newport News, is drawing interest from Virginia, VT, and Maryland - he actually visited for the UNC game a few weeks ago, our friend Joe Davis at ScoutsFocus tells us.

Truth be told he looks way bouncier than Lin and a good bit flashier as well. It's a ways out, but add him to the growing list of potentially elite locals in the 2014 class.

Last edited by stuart; 05-14-2014, 06:09 PM.

Even the Virginia Tech Hokies are keeping an eye on Tang.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Height?

Comment

He's been listed between 6'2"-6'3"

Comment

His real name is Tang Zihao, I've first heard of him back in 2009, although back in 2007 he already distinguished himself for a trip to the States for the Junior NBA game that took place during All-Star Weekend.

He was one of the better players in China when he left, but certainly not among the best, but I've heard good things about him, he's a hard-worker and strives to improve. The competition doesn't look great in the videos, but from what he displayed (and the fact that he can score 40+ multiple times) I believe now he's good enough to make the China U18 & U17 teams. I'm not convinced of his age though. Anyway he should become the first China-born guard in Division I basketball, and many will follow. I'm a strong proponent of guards honing their skills in the U.S., but big men (really tall ones) are probably better developed in China.

He was at the 2009 Adidas Asian Camp

In 2010's Nike All Asia Camp he was 184cm:

PS: If you click the link above when Tang Zihao participated in 2010 Nike All Asia Camp another dude called Kevin Huang (Huang Shiqian) was his schoolmate over there in Hampton Roads Academy. (They were listed "Shanghai" for some reason but I knew back then they were both in that Virginia school.) Huang Shiqian is now in China after it didn't work out and was at the recent 2012 All Asia Camp. Tang on the other hand seems to have found success in America.
          Last edited by sinobball; 06-12-2012, 03:01 AM.
          aim low, score high

Comment

He has join the Oak Hill Academy

2012-2013 Oak Hill Academy Basketball Roster
            The Warriors
            #1 Ike Iroegbu
            Class: Senior

Stats: 6’2″, 190
            cdth Guard

#2 Chris Tang
            Class: Junior

Stats: 6’3″, 185
            cdth Guard

#3 Sindarius Thornwell

Stats: 6’5″, 200
            cdth Guard

#4 Nate Britt

Stats: 6’1″, 175
            cdth Guard

#5 Troy Williams

Stats: 6’6″, 195
            cdth Guard/Forward

#21 Victor Ieronymides

Stats: 6’6″, 210
            cdth Forward

#23 Terrence Phillips
            Class: Sophomore

Stats: 5’10″, 165
            cdth Guard

#24 R.J. Curington

Stats: 6’5″, 190
            cdth Guard

#30 Gonzalo Santana

Stats: 5’9″, 155
            cdth Guard

#31 Khadim Dieng

Stats: 6’10″, 180
            cdth Center

#33 Rokas Gustys

Stats: 6’8″, 245
            cdth Center

1346382381_026106.jpg

Comment

The 2012-2013 Schedule:

Comment

Gatorade S25 ranks Oak Hill as #1.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

The Next Jeremy Lin?

Comment

aim low, score high

Comment

Comment

Comment

Tweet back on March 29th that wasn't posted yet.

David Schneider ‏@BigShotsSkills 29 Mar

Spoke with Chris Tang 2014 6'4 G Oak Hill (VA) Oregon still at the top of his list. Heavy interest from PAC 12. Versatile explosive shooter.

Comment

Comment

It seems Tang is no longer in Oak Hill?
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information