Japanese 2012-2013 National Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese 2012-2013 National Team

The Japanese Basketball Association had parted ways with the national team head coach, Thomas Wiseman. This was revealed after a recent executive board meeting.

The executives did not grant a term of renewal for Wiseman, who steered the Japanese men's squad into a seventh finish in the 2011 FIBA Asia Olympic Qualifier. Another board meeting will be held sometime this year to discuss plans about the national team for the 2013 FIBA Asia Basketball World Cup Qualifiers, including potential head coach candidates.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Found this article from the Japan Times:

JBA axes national team coach Wiseman
    Staff report
    Japan men's basketball coach Thomas Wiseman was relieved of his duties on Wednesday, the Japan Basketball Association announced.

The decision to fire Wiseman was finalized at a JBA executive board meeting on Wednesday. The national team's failure to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics was cited as one factor in Wiseman's dismissal.

Japan hasn't qualified for Olympic men's basketball competition since the 1976 Montreal Summer Games. Wisman's squad placed seventh at the 2011 FIBA Asia Men's Basketball Championship in China.

Wiseman was hired as the Japan national team coach in May 2010 after leading the Link Tochigi Brex to a JBL championship in the 2009-10 season. He has also led the JBL's now-defunct Isuzu Motors squad (1997-2002), and previously served as the bench boss for the Britain and Malaysian national teams.
    Sacramento Kings

Comment

A head coach for the Japanese national team could be named in March, April and May no later. Names like Kazuo Nakamura (Hamamatsu Higashimikawa Phoenix) of the BJ-League and former NBA coach as well as former Tokyo Apache head coach, Bob Hill are being considered.

As of the moment, a committee from the Japanese Basketball Association have drawn up candidates according to sources. Discreet negotiations are to follow after the short list.
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Japanese 2012-2013 National Team

The Japanese Basketball Association revealed the twenty man player pool for the 2012-2013 international competition.

JR Sakuragi (Aishin SeaHorses)
        Fumihiko Aono (Panasonic Trians)
        Ryota Sakurai (Levanga Hokkaido)
        Atsuya Ota (Hamamatsu Phoenix Higashimikawa)
        Takumi Ishizaki (BV Chemnitz 99ers)
        Kosuke Takeuchi (Toyota Alvark)
        Joji Takeuchi (Hitachi SunRockerz)
        Takuya Kawamura (Link Tochigi Brex)
        Takatoshi Furukawa (Aishin SeaHorses)
        Takahiro Kurihara (Toshiba Brave Thunder)
        Hironori Watanabe (Panasonic Trians)
        Kosuke Kanamaru (Panasonic Trians)
        Makoto Hiejima (Gakuin University)
        Sean Hinkley (Link Tochigi Brex)
        Yuya Nagayoshi (Gakuin University)
        Daiki Tanaka (Tokai University)
        Tenketsu Harimoto (Gakuin University)
        Kosuke Hashimoto (Tokai University)
        Yuta Watanabe (Makoto Gakuin HS)
        Ryogo Sumino (Fujiwara HS)

Appointed head coach was Aishin SeaHorse coach Kimikazu Suzuki.
        Last edited by CKR13; 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM.
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

Lots of new names to me. And no Yuta Tabuse?
          “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
          -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
            Lots of new names to me. And no Yuta Tabuse?
            The Japanese national team are in a transition. Gone are noteable veterans like the favorite Yuta Tabuse, Shinsuke Kashiwagi and Tomoo Amino. The JBA is moving into the youth direction where players like Kanamaru and Kurihara are now included as they have earned their place due to their recent performance in the last JBL season as well as them moving up from national team prospects into full time national members in accordance with their program.

The likes of Kawamura, Takeuchi twins and Sakurai are now considered the veteran leaders of the squad. This team has a youthful team as there is no player above the 31 year old margin, with the exception of JR Sakuragi, who was handpicked by Suzuki as the naturalized candidate to add rebounding and ceiling with the team.

Young bigman like Hashimoto is now being groomed to be the next in line.

Initially, Suzuki has the chance to tap more players into the pool on his call. Perhaps that would pave the way for veterans and other prospects to fill in.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Japan selects Suzuki to lead men's basketball team

The Japan Basketball Association officially introduced Kimikazu Suzuki as the new head coach for the men's national team on Wednesday in Tokyo.

The 52-year-old Suzuki, the head coach of Japan Basketball League club Aisin Sea Horses, will be serving in his second stint with the men's top team. He led Team Japan between 2006 and 2007, but the team finished sixth in the Asian Games and eighth in the FIBA Asia Championship. He was fired shortly after.

"I was 46 years old and was asked by the association to take over all of sudden, and I wasn't ready mentally," Suzuki said at a news conference. "Honestly speaking, I swore I would never do this again (when I was fired), but people around me understood my place at that time and asked me to take the chance one more time.

"Obviously, I have tons of things to reflect on from my last tenure, and I intend not let them happen this time."

Japan has already missed out on qualifying for the London Olympics, so Suzuki has no need to be in a hurry to come up with major results right away.

Having going through disastrous outcomes in international competition, including the FIBA Asia Championships, over the past several years, JBA national team development director Hideta Suzuki acknowledged that the men's national team had produced nothing but humiliating defeats, adding that it needs to have a bigger and longer vision.

"We would like to rebuild our program as quickly as possible," the executive said. "As far as our goal, it's to finish within the top three in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championships. But we're also looking at the Olympics of 2016 and 2020. We have got to raise the overall level by developing young talents."

Along with the new personnel and plans, the JBA has also started youth and junior programs to pick up elite talents from all the age categories, including elementary, junior high and high-schoolers from all over the nation.

The JBA also anointed German Torsten Loibl the team's associate head coach. While Loibl helps Suzuki at the top national team, he'll observe the Under-16 and Under-18 teams as a sports director.

Toibl, who had coached for the German Under-16 team between 1994 and 2004, led German top league club BV Chemnitz 99 to third place in the 2010-11 campaign and was chosen as the coach of the year.

"First of all, I want to say I'm very honored to take over such an important position as the sports director in a double function as the associate head coach for such a big organization, the Japan national team," said the 40-year-old Loibl, who guided Toyota Motors Alvark to the league championship in the 2006-07 season. "I've been working with the Japanese basketball players at all levels, from mini-basketball to the professional level, in almost every prefecture for the past 12 years.

"I've been impressed with the potential of the Japanese basketball. I always call Japanese basketball a sleeping giant. It's a giant, but it's sleeping because we haven't found a way to use the potential on the professional level yet."

Loibl was the head coach for Levanga Hokkaido and led the financially struggling club to a respectable fifth place finish this past season.

The JBA announced the 20-man provisional men's team, too. It focused on younger players, featuring five collegiate and two high school players, while only selecting two players above 30 years old.

The team will begin activities starting with series of training camps in June, and participate in a few international tournaments, such as September's FIBA Asia Champions Cup, which will be held in Tokyo this time.
              -Japan Times
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

List from Asia-Basket.com

it appears that there is no one shorter than 6'2" other than 5'11 Watanabe.. with only three players going shorter than 6'3".

J.R. Sakuragi (206-F/C-76, college: UCLA),
                Takatoshi Furukawa (190-G/F-87),
                Fumihiko Aono (210-C-78),
                Hironori Watanabe (180-G-88),
                Kosuke Kanamaru (193-F/G-89),
                Ryota Sakurai (194-G-83), Atsuya Ota (206-C-84),
                Takumi Ishizaki (188-PG-84),
                Kosuke Takeuchi (206-C/F-85),
                Joji Takeuchi (206-F/C-85, agency: N.E.T.),
                Takuya Kawamura (193-G-86),
                Sean Hinkley (197-F-91),
                Takahiro Kurihara (192-G/F-87),
                Makoto Hiejima (189-G-90),
                Yuya Nagayoshi (198-C-91),
                Tenketsu Harimoto (196-C/F-92),
                Daiki Tanaka (191-F-91),
                Kosuke Hashimoto (201-F-93),
                Yuta Watanabe (195-G-94),
                Ryogo Sumino.

is sean hinkley considered as a japanese local player? or as a naturalized player?
                Last edited by asapa11; 05-10-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Happy to see Atsuya Ota of the BJ-League being renamed into the squad. A very under appreciated center in Japan. Ota is a major piece of the two championships of Hamamatsu Phoenix Higashimikawa. Ota's presence serves as a backup for JR Sakuragi. Allows Kosuke Takeuchi and Joji Takeuchi to man the power forward slot.

I will choose Ota over Fumihiko Aono.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Head coach Kimikazu Suzuki hinted that he will capitalize on the presence of JR Sakuragi and Kosuke Takeuchi by using the plays (Inside Triangle) he implemented with Aishin when Sakuragi and Takeuchi were still teammates in the said team. Though Suzuki also said that he will further refine the system to take advantage of the other JBL stars in the team.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Yuya Nagayoshi and Daiki Tanaka were a part of a Japanese national team that played against their South Korean counterparts last week. Nagayoshi was badly outplayed by a Korean frontcourt of Kim Jong-Kyu and Jang-Jaesuk in the annual Korea-Japan youth showcase.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                        Yuya Nagayoshi and Daiki Tanaka were a part of a Japanese national team that played against their South Korean counterparts last week. Nagayoshi was badly outplayed by a Korean frontcourt of Kim Jong-Kyu and Jang-Jaesuk in the annual Korea-Japan youth showcase.

I think Jang-Jaesuk should be selected into NT.

Comment

Originally posted by yuanqiuchiren View Post
                          I think Jang-Jaesuk should be selected into NT.
                          It seems that South Korea's bigman prospects far outclasses the Japanese crew. Jaesuk's future appearances is likely for the Koreans, though he will have to contend with other bigmen. The JBA has been pro-active in selecting youth with height and training them via the JBA Elite Bigman programs.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

The Japanese Basketball Association have thrown their full support in the Japanese Olympic Committee's bid for the 2020 Olympic Games to be staged in Tokyo.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Ryota Sakurai and Takumi Ishizaki were named co-captains for the duration of the summer training camp.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information