Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Stern talks Olympics, flopping

NEW YORK -- David Stern wants to take a closer look at flopping and referees to be able to take a second look at all flagrant fouls.

And the NBA commissioner isn't sure he wants to see his veteran players in the Olympics anymore.

Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday the league is committed to sending top players to the Olympics only through London, and then wants to look into saving them just for the world basketball championship and having the Olympics reserved for those 23 and under, as soccer does.
    -ESPN
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

I thought the Olympics were more prestigious than the WC in the eyes of the NBA
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
        They are now, but perhaps they are eying a model where the NBA takes a financial interest in the new WC?

Chris Sheridan seemed to interpret Stern as wanting to limit both competitions to U23, but that wouldn't make sense with the soccer analogy:
        NEW YORK — Our best vs. your best, and let’s see who can win the gold medal in men’s basketball at the Olympics. That was the idea that spawned the Dream Team, and now NBA commiss…
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

NBA always crying, they should send the best to both tournament, World Cup and Olimpic Games. FIBA and NBA, should make their seasons shorter and players should be able to go to both. Who will like to be part of the Olimpic Game? Who will like to be part of a World Cup?

I think that shorter seasons, better games, better competition and most important less injuries, and sure of course, can also be profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sykes View Post
            Ricky Rubio played in NBA untill he get injured, as much time as in 2 years in Barcelona (Spanish and Euroleague)
            This isn't true.

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
            Whatever makes more money is what is more prestigious to the NBA. FIBA World Cup has the potential to make them way more money than the Olympics does.

Comment

1)How is the NBA crying in this situation?? It was just a suggestion that USA only send 23 and under like futbol Olympic tourney.

2)USA did send its best teams to FIBA WC 2010 and Olympics 2008.

3) I agree with you the NBA needs a shorter season. I prefer 66 game season.

Comment

Originally posted by Raze Lupin View Post
                1)How is the NBA crying in this situation?? It was just a suggestion that USA only send 23 and under like futbol Olympic tourney.

2)USA did send its best teams to FIBA WC 2010 and Olympics 2008.

3) I agree with you the NBA needs a shorter season. I prefer 66 game season.
                Stern seems to be implying either NBA players or all players, not just Team USA players. So that would definitely be Stern trying to wield way more power than he should have over the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post

Whatever makes more money is what is more prestigious to the NBA. FIBA World Cup has the potential to make them way more money than the Olympics does.
                  This isn't true. At this time the FIBA world cup does not have the potential to make the NBA more money than the Olympics. The Olympics is a much bigger draw for casual fans.

Comment

Yes I interpreted Stern's interview as either or. Either the tourney be 23 or under for everyone or if not the USA should field its best 23 and under. Either way its just a suggestion and whether you like the guy or not he has a right to express his opinions. As of now there is no FIBA legislative moves or proposals. That we know of...

Comment

Might not be a bad idea. Focus on the World Championships instead of the Olympics, in my opinion. Basketball is just one part of the Olympics, but a stand-alone tournament would be much more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Raze Lupin View Post
                        This isn't true. At this time the FIBA world cup does not have the potential to make the NBA more money than the Olympics. The Olympics is a much bigger draw for casual fans.
                        Yes it does. Easily. As soon as the Olympics was made an U-23 tournament, then Americans would watch FIBA World Cup instead. FIBA and the NBA (under this proposal) would share the profits. Where now the Olympics gets most of the profits.

Thus, FIBA World Cup can be more profitable than the Olympics are.
                        Last edited by Olympiacos; 06-02-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Not sure how some people here can even ...
                          Everyone should be entitled to participate in Olympics .Age discrimination is illegal ,no matter what.Same way as race discrimination.So if he said that black people should not participate ,people would tear him apart,right?
                          Yet...
                          As for the money- the only tickets unsold for London 2012 are football .Loads and loads of it.
                          And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                            Age discrimination is illegal ,no matter what.Same way as race discrimination.
                            Not true

Comment

Now if Stern's plan is followed, who will watch Olympics Basketball now?

Then again, other nations might have a better chance at winning too so i guess that helps the parity of the tournament.
                              If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                                Now if Stern's plan is followed, who will watch Olympics Basketball now?

Then again, other nations might have a better chance at winning too so i guess that helps the parity of the tournament.
                                Even if that would theoretically (maybe) help in case of parity - the tournament still would be dead and buried.

With football it's totally different and long story and is an exception. Sadly now it's simply impossible to change the routine/schedule and bring the best football to Olympics, so only that compromise was found with 3 23+ players. While for any other sports there must be no stupid age restrictions for Olympics, it's the biggest sports event, the dream of most athletes, so why the hell to ruin it all?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information