Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

U23 for basketball in the Olympics after London (like in football). That's what David Stern thinks. Check it out (3:35).
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

No surprise there, with injuries mounting you know NBA owners with stars headed to the Olympics are concerned about them potentially getting injured. Stern's just voicing their doubts. Barring more changes to the CBA the owners really can't do much at this point aside from piss and moan about it (See Marc Cuban).

The growing dissent among sports media here is far more interesting, there's a lot of nostalgia for the pre dream team days amongst sports pundits that seems to grow each year.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Can't see the IOC going for that.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
        Can't see the IOC going for that.
        Actually it's not clear (at least to me) if he's talking about just the NBA or the entire Olympic tournament. But I agree, I also fail to see the IOC or FIBA going for that.
        He provides the example of football, but you can't compare the culture of football and basketball as far as the Olympics is concerned. Those are two different realities.
        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
          Actually it's not clear (at least to me) if he's talking about just the NBA or the entire Olympic tournament. But I agree, I also fail to see the IOC or FIBA going for that.
          He provides the example of football, but you can't compare the culture of football and basketball as far as the Olympics is concerned. Those are two different realities.
          Going by the flow of the conversation I believe he's talking about NBA players, as he has no control over what the IOC decides and didn't mention them in the conversation. He also said it wasn't a big deal if deal if we lose implying it would primarily effect the US. Still even if it is only with NBA players the union would have to agree with it. Granted some owners would definitely make a case for it, and probably fight for it (Cuban), but there's no telling if there's enough to make it an issue.

Comment

for me its a cheap idea
            sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

It would suprise me if something like that happened. Anyways, they can only apply this to US players since I doubt that FIBA would accept having no international NBA players in the Olympics. Even the players would oppose something like that.

I suppose that they are trying to get something from IOC in exchange of having all the US stars there, since the dream team is the attraction of the tourney. But its presence is not so strong that it can erradicate the importance of the competition meaning that all the other teams would "kill" for an olympic medal, so they would present their absolute best teams, with international NBA stars included.

Comment

While this may be in the interest of the NBA, it sounds like a good idea to me. As a basketball fan I will miss a summer of high level basketball, but this is one of the best things that can happen for the World Championship as well as the Continental Championships. Twelve European federations have opted for a Eurobasket every four years as well. This means that we'll have one big tournament every two years. That's enough and it sounds good to me. This is the best way to minimize absentees of top Euroleague and NBA players in those competitions.

I remember a remark Peja Stojakovic made some years ago when reporters asked him why he wasn't part of the Serbian NT. His reply was: "There's always another tournament next year, or the year after that...., there is never a break"
                PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                  Actually it's not clear (at least to me) if he's talking about just the NBA or the entire Olympic tournament.
                  Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                  Going by the flow of the conversation I believe he's talking about NBA players
                  Given the way he drew a parallel to soccer I interpreted it as making the whole thing a U-23 tournament (with overage players?). It would be even weirder if the tournament had U23 NBA players but unlimited players from elsewhere.
                  Originally posted by Fedfan
                  Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                  Originally posted by GuTO
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

On the positive side, if this happens, then the FIBA World Championship would become a more prestigious event.

Comment

The problem is not the Olympics, the problem is the NBA competition system.
                      You can´t play more than 80 games of 48 minutes in 6 months, it is insane for a human body, that´s why so many players get serious injuries, not for playing 15 days in a summer tournament in games of 40 minutes.
                      Ricky Rubio played in NBA untill he get injured, as much time as in 2 years in Barcelona (Spanish and Euroleague)
                      They are humans not robots, yes I know it is a bussiness but this year with the blockout, maybe has been much better for the most of the players.
                      Olympics should be always with the best players, in my opinion, if don´t it will be as atractive as archery.

Comment

Originally posted by Sykes View Post
                        You can´t play more than 80 games of 48 minutes in 6 months, it is insane for a human body, that´s why so many players get serious injuries, not for playing 15 days in a summer tournament in games of 40 minutes.
                        Ricky Rubio played in NBA untill he get injured, as much time as in 2 years in Barcelona (Spanish and Euroleague)
                        They are humans not robots, yes I know it is a bussiness but this year with the blockout, maybe has been much better for the most of the players.
                        Olympics should be always with the best players, in my opinion, if don´t it will be as atractive as archery.
                        I agree. But Stern disagrees. He mentions in the interview that the injuries they talk about there have nothing to do with the long season.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Actually there have been more high profile injuries this year with the 66 game schedule, though that's because it is so condensed and lacked a proper training camp.

In either case while the NBA could probably benefit from a 60 game non compacted schedule it will never happen because it's too much of a loss of revenue.

Comment

totally disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sykes View Post
                              100% agreed.

Stern wants the best for his league (NBA), more money and etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information