Thread: Do you think PBA should change into a regional league?

Default Do you think PBA should change into a regional league?

what do you think guys?

Quote Originally Posted by rjmolera20 View Post
    what do you think guys?
    You mean like the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA)? Although the concept is enticing, it's not really realistic. First, most of the big companies in the league are Manila based (or have the HQ offices in Manila). That's why the PBA is Manila-based in the first place. Second, logistics will be a nightmare. Issues like broadcasting equipment, renovation/construction of playing venues, travel expenses and hotel accommodations for "visiting teams" and broadcast crews ... all of those things will make the operational costs skyrocket. Third, it would mean that the current players who have established a life in Manila would have to uproot to the provinces (or at the very least, they'd have to spend a significant chunk of the year living away from their families). It would be different if the PBA was a fledgling upstart league where everything and everybody has to start from scratch. But the PBA has been around for decades.

It looks great on paper, but look at what happened to the MBA. That didn't turn out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilyong Husband View Post
    You mean like the Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA)? Although the concept is enticing, it's not really realistic. First, most of the big companies in the league are Manila based (or have the HQ offices in Manila). That's why the PBA is Manila-based in the first place. Second, logistics will be a nightmare. Issues like broadcasting equipment, renovation/construction of playing venues, travel expenses and hotel accommodations for "visiting teams" and broadcast crews ... all of those things will make the operational costs skyrocket. Third, it would mean that the current players who have established a life in Manila would have to uproot to the provinces (or at the very least, they'd have to spend a significant chunk of the year living away from their families). It would be different if the PBA was a fledgling upstart league where everything and everybody has to start from scratch. But the PBA has been around for decades.

It looks great on paper, but look at what happened to the MBA. That didn't turn out well.
    yup! you have a lot of good points there.. but the MBA was copied from the NBA that is why it didnt turn out well.. lack of sponsors.. the best example are leagues from europe.. (see liga endesa of spain) where teams are co-sponsored by companies and cities.. for example.. a team from quezon city.. the name in front of the team's jersey is not QC, rather the co-sponsored company of the city.. both city and company are represented by the team.. it will not also eliminate the advertisement part.. the idea is to save the league from decreasing fans who's patronizing it.. my point is, an arena is only jam-packed for one specific team like ginebra.. thanks to jawo.. hehe.. but the other teams.. naaahh.. forget it.. hehe.. good arenas are not going to be a problem.. there are wealthy cities and provinces that has good arenas.. and those affluent cities or province can provide and participate I believe.. and logistic expenses is not going to be a hitch either.. for me, we should try it.. we must evolve.. I think, PBA is the only remaining basketball league in this world that is not regional based.. (sorry for my bad english) (:

This is a mere possiblity that we can talk all day and all night, Day in and Day out. The main motive behind this change that you want (TS) is because the Arenas and Coliseums can be filled up to the rafters knowing that each city or province have a strong and huge fanbase.

yup! you have a lot of good points there.. but the MBA was copied from the NBA that is why it didnt turn out well.. lack of sponsors.. the best example are leagues from europe.. (see liga endesa of spain) where teams are co-sponsored by companies and cities.. for example.. a team from quezon city.. the name in front of the team's jersey is not QC, rather the co-sponsored company of the city.. both city and company are represented by the team.. it will not also eliminate the advertisement part.. the idea is to save the league from decreasing fans who's patronizing it.. my point is, an arena is only jam-packed for one specific team like ginebra.. thanks to jawo.. hehe.. but the other teams.. naaahh.. forget it.. hehe.. good arenas are not going to be a problem.. there are wealthy cities and provinces that has good arenas.. and those affluent cities or province can provide and participate I believe.. and logistic expenses is not going to be a hitch either.. for me, we should try it.. we must evolve.. I think, PBA is the only remaining basketball league in this world that is not regional based.. (sorry for my bad english) (:
    PH actually explained why this is difficult. And while it can be done, the logistical nightmare coupled with high maintenance cost will impact on the bottomline. The sad part is that businesses are pretty much centralized in the NCR region. Sure, there are big businesses in Cebu, Davao and other major cities but only some of them can afford to maintain a regional team. Cebu can be sponsored by the Lhuillier or the Aboitiz family; I think the Floreindo clan was the benefactor for the Davao Eagles. Putting up their brand names can help but only if their businesses extend nationwide. Otherwise, it may be a futile cause.

love to! true fan base home and away game very exciting love to have in our province...........

Not happening anytime soon. For this to happen, PBA teams have to evolve into entities separate from the companies that bankroll them.
    Believe!

Emman Monfort says you may kiss his PBA draftee's ass

Id like to have this teams in case it will happened

Ginebra QC ( Araneta Coliseum)
    Meralco Pasig ( Ynares Center, Pasig City)
    Air 21 Laguna (Laguna Provincial Sports Complex)
    Smart Pampanga (Angeles City)
    B-MEG Manila ( The Arena)
    Pasay Alaska ( Cuneta Astodome)

what do you think guys?
    MBA = dead
    You've got to have it to win it

Quote Originally Posted by bognut View Post
    MBA = dead
    Minsan ka lang pre magpost pero sapul

Trans:

Bognut = money.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by bognut View Post
    MBA = dead
    Minsan ka lang pre magpost pero sapul

Trans:

Bognut = money.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    PH actually explained why this is difficult. And while it can be done, the logistical nightmare coupled with high maintenance cost will impact on the bottomline. The sad part is that businesses are pretty much centralized in the NCR region. Sure, there are big businesses in Cebu, Davao and other major cities but only some of them can afford to maintain a regional team. Cebu can be sponsored by the Lhuillier or the Aboitiz family; I think the Floreindo clan was the benefactor for the Davao Eagles. Putting up their brand names can help but only if their businesses extend nationwide. Otherwise, it may be a futile cause.
    well, my idea right now is every conference or season, the league can re-shuffle the companies associated w/ the city or province..

like:

this season:

smart davao city
    san miguel quezon city

then next season it will be:

san miguel davao city
    smart quezon city

Have heard of your league before is that not regional now? Like the NBA and Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzaroll View Post
    Have heard of your league before is that not regional now? Like the NBA and Europe?
    yup! it is not.. since it was introduced in 1975..

As a huge MBA fan when was a kid. I don't think a Regional League in the Philippines will succeed. MBA flopped because they overpaid their players. It's very costly to televise some games in the province. The Provincial Government or some multimillion dollar owners needs to support these regional teams if the PBA plan to change the format.

well, my idea right now is every conference or season, the league can re-shuffle the companies associated w/ the city or province..

like:

this season:

smart davao city
    san miguel quezon city

then next season it will be:

san miguel davao city
    smart quezon city
    Don't you think that will defeat the purpose of having a regional league?

It's not as simple as it seems. With name sponsorship comes the burden of having to pay players, coaches, and staff. Should one business entity pull out of sponsoring a regional team, one cannot simply find abother corporate sponsor that is willing to step in. What happens, then, to players on multi-year contracts?

A regional league can and will succeed, but I still hold on to the premise that teams should be corporate entities in themselves.
    Believe!

Emman Monfort says you may kiss his PBA draftee's ass

Quote Originally Posted by kerouac82 View Post

It's not as simple as it seems. With name sponsorship comes the burden of having to pay players, coaches, and staff. Should one business entity pull out of sponsoring a regional team, one cannot simply find abother corporate sponsor that is willing to step in. What happens, then, to players on multi-year contracts?

A regional league can and will succeed, but I still hold on to the premise that teams should be corporate entities in themselves.
    Exactly. Almost all of the big and successful European ballclubs are corporate entities. Look at the Euroleague teams: Gescrap Bilbao, Regal Barcelona, Real Madrid, Fenerbahce, and Partizan Belgrade (to name a few). These clubs not only deliver in domestic competitions but are also big contributors to their national teams.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

OK yan, if PBA goes regional after a year you're going to expect a lockout
    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by kerouac82 View Post

yup! any of your ideas are most welcome guys.. ((:

Exactly. Almost all of the big and successful European ballclubs are corporate entities. Look at the Euroleague teams: Gescrap Bilbao, Regal Barcelona, Real Madrid, Fenerbahce, and Partizan Belgrade (to name a few). These clubs not only deliver in domestic competitions but are also big contributors to their national teams.
    ((: yup, i think we should pattern ours from european leagues.. we really deserve to have this kind of league..