full european league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full european league?

maccabi's owner david federman had an interview about maccabi.
    he has been asked about the adriatic league and say that one of the reason maccabi join to the aba
    is to make the euroleague play more games. he say it succeed and it the first step for turn the euroleague into full european league which is going to happen in 3 tears.

somebody know what "full european league" mean? i would be happy to get an explanation...

link?
    sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade View Post
      link?
      its in hebrew so i don't know much helpful it would be for you, but here:

Comment

google translate will be my friend
        sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

so, israeli team is forcing euroleague to crate full euro league this should be some nba copy-paste league, right?

lol
          Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Old man Federman lost all credibility when he dissed David Blatt in this interview. He should stick to money making and leave basketball to people who actually know something about basketball and Blatt clearly knows.

Comment

Old man Federman lost all credibility when he dissed David Blatt in this interview. He should stick to money making and leave basketball to people who actually know something about basketball and Blatt clearly knows.
              Dissed David Blatt ? It's probably cultural differences between Israel & Europe: nobody here gives a flying f&ck about hierarchical formalities ( owner-employee", "soldier-officer", etc) , while straight talking on what on one's mind is appreciated.

What is important that Federman don't interfere with Blatt sphere of responsibility ( decision not to play Ohayon in the end of 4th game, Papaloukas playing time, etc) even if he thinks Blatt is totally wrong.

Not many coaches could ignore owner's ideas and to do what he thinks is right.

Comment

Here is a part of the interview dedicated to "Full European league:

"הליגה האדריאטית הצילה אותנו בגלל נושא הזרים. אם אנחנו לא מגיעים להצלבה, אנחנו נשארים בתחילת מארס עם שלושה זרים שאין לנו מה לעשות איתם. הליגה גם איפשרה לשחקן כמו לנגפורד להשתלב מהר מאוד. אין ספק שזה עומס גדול מדי ובאופן נורמלי לא צריך לשחק בשלוש ליגות, אבל היו לנו שתי מטרות: לגרום ליורוליג להעלות את מספר המשחקים, ובזה הצלחנו, כי מספר המשחקים יגדל בעונה הבאה. זה שלב ראשון בדרך לליגה אירופית מלאה בעוד כשלוש שנים. המטרה השנייה היתה לפתור את הקונפליקט מול הליגה הישראלית, שהיתה מונעת בעיקר מהשאלה איך דואגים שמכבי אולי לא תיקח את האליפות".
                Adriatic League saved us in a context of foreign players issue. If we couldn't get into EL play-offs , we would stay with 3 foreign players that aren't allowed to play from the beginning of March ( BB: There is a restriction of maximum 4 foreign players allowed per game in BSL )
                There were 2 goals of MTA joining Adriatic : to persuade EL to increase number of games per season and we did succeed with that. That's the first phase toward full "European League" in the next 3 years .

The second goal was to resolve the conflict with BSL , whose main task was to ensure Maccabi won't get a championship. ( BB: a subtle hint on BSL's final four championship system & a restriction on maximum 4 foreign players allowed per game )

Comment

With all respect to Federman, he is not one who should speak about basketball. He, Jordi and co. are destroying evrything good about euro basketball. I used to toght FIBA is dirty money making machine and was happy when Uleb took their place, but now FIBA looks like saints compared with these guys
                  Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

so full european league is a euroleague in NBA format(the same clubs every year)?

Comment

so full european league is a euroleague in NBA format(the same clubs every year)?
                      I think Federman refers to number of EL games. A competition with only 23 games per season (for EL Final Four team) is hardly a full league. Ever a tiny (11 team) Israeli league has ~ 30 games per season .

From the next season EL will look like a full league: 30-31 games for FF team & 24 games for Top16 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bounce View Post
                        I think Federman refers to number of EL games. A competition with only 23 games per season (for EL Final Four team) is hardly a full league. Ever a tiny (11 team) Israeli league has ~ 30 games per season .

From the next season EL will look like a full league: 30-31 games for FF team & 24 games for Top16 team.
                        but he say that the euroleague will turn into full european league in 3 years, and the new top16 format start next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ironwill23 View Post
                          I think so but not sure . I heard Obradovic saying that he thinks thats great idea and I agree with him . But I would like that much games like NBA teams have .

Comment

While trying to respect other people opinion, I disagree with them and don't except the whole "heisdevil" image of Jordi Bertomeu. I think that the idea of the full "NBA-model" European league is a very good idea, that will push the European basketball forward, and will raise the popularity and the quality of the game.
                            I also think there's no big secret about the final goal of the Euroleague organization, and all the clues lead us in one direction: real league with constant number of games and more or less the same teams each year. This structure provides the financial stability for the clubs and the maximized value for the fans.
                            11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

I'll put it a bit harsh... In Israel, where Maccabi's dominance is taken for granted and is unquestioned, NBA modeled euroleague might seem as a good idea, but within countries that don't consider giving only few teams the priviledge to run whole of their basketball, such development would be a dissaster. Slovenia might be in a pretty simmilar situation as Israel, so I'm getting your point, yet most countries would rightfully disagree...

Greece: no way they'd earn more than one team in the long run (long run=10+years) and let the red-green arguement who deserves it begin!... maybee even going for a third option in AEK as those two won't be able to agree properly untill than... even thougher as some are still believing in Thessaloniki teams to wake up one day
                              Spain: Real and Barca... but wait, what have the Basques, one of the most basketball crazy regions in europe, have done to dislike them up to the level they should abandon all hopes for one great and two very promising teams due to Valencia's or some other city's marketability promise
                              Italy: pick Milano, Roma and Napoli, guarantee them an euroleague and you can be deadlock sure they'll become canonfood accordingly, while cutting off basketball crazy Cantu, Varese, Pesaro, Bologna off...
                              Turkey: I guess now it's all about Fener, Gala and Bešiktaš, so we can chew Efes and spit them out... who cares about either Ankara or Bursa their fans aren't worth it anyways
                              Ex-Yu: as apathic as Zvezda's delije might be right now when it comes to basketball, with some convenient rhetoric and some press propaganda, Partizan set in euroleague for the next 50 years no matter the results (although they're basicaly almost there somewhere for the past 15 years) has potential to evolve in a civil war; Dalmatia still is the heart of Croatian basketball, Split or Zadar in euroleague would probably set an unprecendented euphoria even if once in a decade or so

...while with some centralised 24team NBA like euroleague you'd basicaly get (Pao, Oly, Partizan, Milano, Roma, Alba, Bayern, Fener, Gala, Real, Barca, Valencia, London, Paris, Lyon-Asvel, Maccabi, CSKA, team from Zagreb, Partizan, potentialy a Lithuanian, Slovenian, Polish, Belgian and someother team if not overpowered by the economic potential of Vienna, Zurich, Koln, Kopenhagen, Lille, Manchester, St.Petersburg, Prague, Amsterdam... with all that easily leaving out 75% of actuall basketball fans, namely fans of Split, Zadar, Zvezda, Bosna, Pau, Tau, Bilbao, Unicaja, + other decent Spanish teams, Varese, Cantu, whole Bologna, Pesaro, Aris, Paok, AEK, Efes, Tofas, Žalgiris or Rytas (you decide ) and many others.

That's not really the mentality most of the europe has, football has set different standards in most countries... if Olimpija screws up, what do you expect me, to cheer for Zagreb? Partizan? or some Vienna Thunders? over my dead body... but I'll patiently wait a decade, two or even three... waiting for the comeback of "the only team" i am really devoted to and that's how things work.
                              Closed up NBA model would definately kill the attendance euro-wide, with most of the small teams generating the talent, that basicaly means big decrease of the talent production over the period as you can't become a real basketball player on the street playing with your friends. Short term increase of quality doesn't put up with much weaker long term work with talents in small clubs behind the gods back.

Euroleague can't model themselve on NBA, it's as if the NCAA would decide to play march madness teams only in a closed up league to increase the competition level, now that's a genuine madness sure the competition level would increase, but people wouldn't care about such league half as much as they do now.
                              To cut the whole story short: ... it all started and it all ends with fans...
                              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information