Aaron "Air" Gordon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron "Air" Gordon

Was recently named California's Mr. Basketball, Player of the Year. Becomes the first junior to receive the honor since Tyson Chandler from Dominguez-Compton in 2000. Jason Kidd was selected as a junior in 1991 from St. Joseph Notre Dame-Alameda.

Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

This guy is so good. If he were only 2-3 inches taller I think he'd be considered the best prospect in his class above Parker, Randle, the Harrison twins, etc. As is he's still great.

Comment

Gordon will miss the remainder of the AAU season with a fractured toe.

ESPN Recruiting Profile
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

He could even miss the U17 World's championship, with less than two months to go. That would be a big blow for the US team, as he was the leading scorer and rebounder of the 2010 U16 squad.
        From updated news it looks like later this week it should be known how long he will be out.
        Aaron Gordon, a 6-foot-8 forward from Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif.) and a third team ESPNHS All-American this past season, will be off the AAU circuit indefinitely because of a broken bone in his foot.

Comment

Aaron Gordon: Who do you think you are?

Player: Aaron Gordon
          School: Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif.)
          Position: Small forward/power forward
          Height/weight: 6-8/210
          ESPN 60: No. 3

Who is Aaron Gordon?

With a devastating inside-out game and elite athleticism, Gordon has been one of the top frontcourt prospects in the country for the past few years. He's led Archbishop Mitty to back-to-back state championships, posting a line of 33 points and 20 rebounds in the most recent title game win. For the 2011-12 season, Gordon averaged 22.9 points, 12.8 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game, earning him Cal-Hi Sports Mr. Basketball honors. He should be on the short list for Gatorade National Player of the Year next season.

Scouting report

According to ESPN RecruitingNation, Gordon uses his length, athleticism and high-energy motor to dominate the paint. He does major damage on tip-ins and putbacks, relentlessly attacking the ball off the rim. He's also improving his perimeter skills, taking bigger defenders outside and driving past them with a tight handle and quick first step. Gordon is one of the top finishers in the country, easily getting above the rim and slamming the ball with authority. He's the type of recruit who can change a college program as a freshman, which is why schools like Kentucky and Arizona are going after him hard.

Most frequent comparison: Blake Griffin

ESPNHS comparison: Derrick Williams

The most obvious similarity between Gordon and Minnesota Timberwolves forward Derrick Williams is that they can both fly. At Arizona, Williams put himself on the map by viciously dunking on Duke repeatedly in the 2011 NCAA tournament, and Gordon has that type of ability. And just as the 6-foot-8 Williams is carving out a role as a swing forward in the NBA, Gordon also falls somewhere between being a classic 3 or 4. Williams shot 51 percent from 3-point range in college, so Gordon is going to have to keep working on his stroke in order to make the transition to the perimeter. He's already got good ball-handling ability and solid mechanics on his jumper.

Gordon's comparison: Scottie Pippen

Gordon doesn't necessarily agree with the comparison he hears most often -- Blake Griffin. "I think that's people's way of saying that I'm one-dimensional, that all I can do is dunk," says Gordon. "I think I have more perimeter skills than that."

In fact, Gordon sees himself resembling one of the most skilled small forwards of all time in former Chicago Bulls star Scottie Pippen. At 6-foot-8, 228 pounds, Pippen wasn't much bigger than Gordon is now. He won six NBA championships and earned a reputation as one of the most well-rounded stars in NBA history, averaging 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 2.0 steals for his career. He often served as a primary ball-handler and distributor, and he was selected to the NBA's All-Defensive first team eight times.

Gordon believes he can develop that type of skill set.

"I'm definitely more of a Pippen," he says. "I think eventually I'm going to be most effective facing the basket and working out near the 3-point line. I could even develop more explosiveness and play as a really big 2."
          -ESPN
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Gordon was named into the second batch of the the 2012 Elite 24. He joins the likes of Canada's Tyler Ennis and Tyus Jones.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

Aaron Gordon and other prospects in pictures from Under Armour Elite 24.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Aaron "Air" Gordon summer mixtape

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Gordon is scheduled to visit the Kentucky Wildcats.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Another mixtape for Gordon.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Fresh from a visit to the Kansas JayHawks, Aaron Gordon will visit the Arizona Wildcats this weekend. John Calipari is also in pursuit of Gordon.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Gordon recently visited Kentucky. Gordon stated that the Wildcats are in his top five.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

The 360 alley-oop dunk at 1:00 is really impressive!

Comment

Aaron Gordon gets some love from SLAM Magazine:

San Jose Clash

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Gordon would have loved to wrap up his HS career with a title, but the lost to Mater Dei was personally disappointing for him. But he has the NCAA and NBA to look forward to.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information