Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIBA: Eurobasket once in 4 years, 12-14 World Cup qualification spots for Euro NTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA: Eurobasket once in 4 years, 12-14 World Cup qualification spots for Euro NTs

FIBA: Can you explain the format that will be brought into play under the new competition system?
    Mainini: This new system of competition consists of a four-year period in which there will be a FIBA Basketball World Cup, the Olympic Games, one continental championship per FIBA Zone and one separate summer dedicated exclusively to Women’s Basketball.

This calendar takes into consideration the players: in any sport, they are the key value, the capital. If you give them too many games, it can lead to them getting injured and suffering exhaustion. We value quality over quantity and therefore players will have one summer of rest in every cycle.

Because the qualification process will be continuous throughout the year, we expect national teams to use a larger pool of players, which means more players will get to represent their countries and we should, in the long-term, produce more talents.

It probably will be that players have to travel more, but at the same time they will require less preparation time as they will not be coming together with their national team just once a year as is the case right now. There will be more continuity with players and their national teams.

As I mentioned, the new competition system is based on home and away qualification games, so most countries will get to enjoy the right to play in front of their fans a lot more.

The second important change as part of this new competition system is that the FIBA Basketball World Cup will consist of 32 teams, thereby allowing for good representation for every continent. For example, you could have 12-14 European teams that qualify for FIBA’s flagship event.

Finally we will always play the FIBA Basketball World Cup a year after the football World Cup, starting in 2019 (instead of 2018). Today the rivalry between the two events is very detrimental to us in terms of exposure and partnerships. I don’t think we can go in that direction anymore.

src: http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...sReleArti.html

well, i just hope it will help bring back stars to copetitions, because today's nt competitions lost all value once had
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
      well, i just hope it will help bring back stars to copetitions, because today's nt competitions lost all value once had
      What kind of stars are you missing?
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
        What kind of stars are you missing?
        stars who are to tierd to play for national team when they can swim in sea
        Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
          stars who are to tierd to play for national team when they can swim in sea
          Who cares about such players? Eurobasket's system is just fine, IMO. Players that have no motivation, passion or enough of rest can swim as much as they want. Better for all.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Don't forget next year EL is expanding Top16 from 6 games to 14 , it's 8 more games per week.

I don't even mention that some ( e.g. Lithuanian ) clubs would probably play 3 leagues next season: EL, LKL, VTB.

With this calendar leading Euro players would finish season falling from exhaustion . I doubt their motivation & passion could overcome the basic need to rest.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information