Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euroleague 2012/13 teams

Unicaja won today versus Banca Cívica in the regional derby and finally keeps it A license.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!
    EŭroKorbo, the useless basketball blog in esperanto.

Let me be the first

Situation in domestic championships is currently showing this:

A licence:
    (13) Barcelona, Real Madrid, Vitoria, Unicaja, Siena, Milano, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, Fenerbahce, Efes, Maccabi, CSKA, Zalgiris
    B licence:
    14 Gravelines
    15 Galatasaray
    16 Partizan
    17 Cedevita
    18 Olimpija
    19 Brose
    20 Prokom
    21 Khimki
    (22 C licence)
    23 qualifier
    24 qualifier

So my first question is, will Valencia get C licence if Khimki holds on to B licence.

Second, will VTB league get the right to be included in the distribution system. Unics is runner up there and in domestic championship is way down. Do they know something we don't? I think EL will give them qualifying spot at most so I don't understand their domestic flop.

Quote Originally Posted by fortaleza View Post
    So my first question is, will Valencia get C licence if Khimki holds on to B licence.
    When Rytas won both LKL (got B license) and Eurocup (C license) few years back - the C license was given to Khimki - runners-up in Eurocup. Also earlier when Real beat Rytas in final and later earned the spot in EL throught own championship, also the place were given to runners-up of Eurocup. So if ULEB will follow it - Valencia should get it, but with ULEB you never know

Quote Originally Posted by fortaleza View Post
    Second, will VTB league get the right to be included in the distribution system. Unics is runner up there and in domestic championship is way down. Do they know something we don't? I think EL will give them qualifying spot at most so I don't understand their domestic flop.
    If anything like that will happen with VTB, it'll be from next season. Negotiations were on, now it stopped. While Unics domestic flop can easily be explained by their focus on EL. Their roster is filled with veterans and their bench isn't long, so they simply couldn't play in both competition with the same intensity and motivation. Another thing is, they would still made the play-offs, but in case of Olympic qualifiers, the season in Russia was shortened and it was decided not to play quarterfinals, so that means that Unics out of chances for EL for next season. And this decision was made very late in the season, just few weeks ago, so Unics were victims of that

Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    ".....evropski kup poslje sedam godina..." -".....eurocup after 7 years"-bavcevic words after game
    Sportske Novosti, may 3. 2012.:
    komentar nakon utakmice sa Zagrebom:
    Nikša Bavčević: Plasirali smo se u ABA ligu, čestitam svima. Navukli smo dvije muke ježeve, igrat ćemo u ABA ligu a mislim da će nam stići i pozivnica za Eurochallenge.

comment after the game against Zagreb (Split won and secured third place in croatian championship which secures a position in ABA league next year without paying for invitation):
    Nikša Bavčević (Split coach): We secured a spot in ABA league, congratulations to everyone. We now have two worries, we will play ABA league and I also think we will receive an invitation for Eurochallenge.

Sportske novosti are the biggest daily sports newspapers in Croatia.
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

some of the people on the forum are allowed to do whatever they want as long as they have guys from upstairs holding their back. way to go interbasket!

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    Sportske Novosti, may 3. 2012.:
    komentar nakon utakmice sa Zagrebom:
    Nikša Bavčević: Plasirali smo se u ABA ligu, čestitam svima. Navukli smo dvije muke ježeve, igrat ćemo u ABA ligu a mislim da će nam stići i pozivnica za Eurochallenge.

comment after the game against Zagreb (Split won and secured third place in croatian championship which secures a position in ABA league next year without paying for invitation):
    Nikša Bavčević (Split coach): We secured a spot in ABA league, congratulations to everyone. We now have two worries, we will play ABA league and I also think we will receive an invitation for Eurochallenge.

Sportske novosti are the biggest daily sports newspapers in Croatia.
    don't know what bavcevic ment, maybe he ment eurochallenge but on tv, right after game he said: "... i jos nesto, ako zavrsimo treci vjerovatno cemo dobit poziv za evropski kup poslje 7 godina. Hvala vam!"...his direct words from where this statmant one of bigest bullshit papers in croatia take and shape. he also didn't metnion any worries
    Romeo Travis @RomeTrav

I said coach why we practice so much. He said God will bless us after all this hard work. How can I argue with that !
    Romeo Travis about Zadar coach Ante Nazor

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    When Rytas won both LKL (got B license) and Eurocup (C license) few years back - the C license was given to Khimki - runners-up in Eurocup. Also earlier when Real beat Rytas in final and later earned the spot in EL throught own championship, also the place were given to runners-up of Eurocup. So if ULEB will follow it - Valencia should get it, but with ULEB you never know
    The question is if ULEB will want five ACB teams again. If Unicaja would lose the A license it would be easier.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!

lithunia final playoffs zalgiris leads 2-0 rytas ...rytas goes to el qualifying...

Quote Originally Posted by FernandoLive View Post
    lithunia final playoffs zalgiris leads 2-0 rytas ...rytas goes to el qualifying...
    Both games were a blowouts I must add.

Please correct me if I miss something, seed raking taken from here

A Licence:

Seed1
    FC Barcelona
    Olympiacos
    Maccabi
    Panathinaikos

Seed2
    Montepaschi
    Real Madrid
    CSKA
    Caja Laboral ( Valencia could shift them into Seed3 , if qualifies)

Seed3
    Khimki ( C-license)
    Partizan
    Unicaja
    Efes Pilsen

Seed4
    Zalgiris
    Fenerbahce
    Prokom
    AJ Milano

B Licence: ( Places 17-23)
    Partizan ( Serbia, Adriatic)
    Cedevita ( Croatia, Adriatic)
    Olimpija ( Slovenia, Adriatic)
    Brose Basket ( Germany, likely champ )
    Besiktas (Turkey, Finalist )
    (France, champ)
    (France, 2-nd)
    Valencia ( Spain, likely 3-rd)

EL Qualification ( Places 1-8 )

Banco di Sardegna/Scavolini Siviglia ( Italy, 3-rd )
    Kolossos ( Greece, 3-rd )
    Charleroi/Oostende ( Belgium, champ)
    VEF Riga ( Latvia, champ)
    L. Rytas
    Nymburk
    BC Donetsk
    Buducnost ( Adriatic, 3-rd )
    EiffelTowers ( if Valencia 4th in ACB, Netherlands, champ)
    Last edited by Billy Bounce; 05-28-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Not sure for France, I thought not 2nd placed team, but regular season winner goes to EL or it's qualies, but maybe I'm wrong here. Also ASVEL had agreement with EL for B-license and qualies, don't know if it's still valid, the same goes for Prokom and Milano A-licenses, I thought it's only for 1 year. Also Greek 3rd team is Panionios, they beat Kolossos 3-2

As always lot of questions - little answers what comes to EL

If I remember correctly, Galatasaray was the runner up in last years TBL, and they had to qualify to play in the EL. So I would say that Besiktas are in qualifications as well unless they become champions of TBL.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Victorious View Post
    If I remember correctly, Galatasaray was the runner up in last years TBL, and they had to qualify to play in the EL. So I would say that Besiktas are in qualifications as well unless they become champions of TBL.
    GS was runner-up only the last season.

I read there are some new things: like now the runner-up of Germany would go to the qualifiers instead of the Greek 3rd. And Valencia can't get the third position. If loses at semis, they'll be fourth yes or yes.
    FIRE THE NEXT ONE!!!

After first three years (2009-2012) with no changes the B license (country) ranking - like it had been announced three years ago - from now on will be modified (according to the recent results an developments) on an annual basis. As long as the Euroleague does not publish this new country ranking, we can only speculate, which countries will get how many B-licenses or spots in the qualification round. In Germany they say, that the BBL according to the new ranking like Turkey and France could send their champion into the Euroleague and their runner-up into the qualification round.

The special agreement between Euroleague and French league (ASVEL wild card) should be no longer valid. Instead there is a new deal with VTB league, but I think, this will work only from the next year on. Also the A-license ranking from now on will have a promotional system (i. e. every year the worst team out of the 13/14 teams with an A-license looses its A-license - another team will become a new A-license holder). Like Mindozas I am not sure about Italy's 2nd A-license: Wasn't it taken away from Roma and given to Milano only for one year?

Another interesting question will be, if the Euroleague allows A license holders Siena and Barcelona to play in their small arenas, while even CSKA now moves into a big arena to answer Euroleague standards (10.000 minimum).

Euroleague qualification round will have only 8 teams (instead of 16). One of these 8 qualifies. The 2nd spot, which in the last season was reserved for the winner of the second quali tournament, becomes a wild card. Looks like in this summer there's more room for speculations about the 24 Euroleague teams than ever …

Damn, typed a long message, but lost it with a forum bug

A short version:

I agree that all attempts to figure out future EL teams are speculations, especially minding EL habit of changing the rules each summer.

However , there is plenty public accessible info that could clarify the whole picture:

Financial situation of clubs that won EL spot, but could not afford to participate in it budget wise.
    For example Hopoel Holon won BSL a couple of years ago, but every child in Israel knew that they won't play in Euro competitions at all, let alone EL

Some club getting new arena is another factor. It's known that EL has a soft spot for new markets , rich clubs & new big arenas. Spartak St. Peterburg has it all, so they are natural choice for EL wild card .

Last edited by Billy Bounce; 05-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Banned

Greece won't lose the third place team going to the qualifiers if the new rankings are based on game results. Because Greece should actually move up in the rankings. The problem for Greece's spot is that they base 30% of the ranking on "arena size and attendance". So, that would probably lose them the place. However, the Panionios owner is willing to spend the money to move them into a new arena.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2012/05/dribbling/5335

Jordi Bertomeou has great respect for Panionios’ owner and a conversation between the two may take place next week. There has already been a conversation with Kostas Rigas, who left a window open for Panionios, even though he clarified that there are not many chances. Some chances though, do exist, especially from the moment that there is a ranking for every country, based on the achievements of each team. And this year, with Greek basketball having two representatives in the Euroleague Final Four, and also having the last two champions, Greece for sure will be high in this ranking.

If Panionios makes it to the preliminaries, they will try to use as a home court, the beautiful arena used in the 2004 Olympiacos for Tae Kwon Do in Paleo Faliro, since Elliniko is not available any more.
    If they play in Eurocup, then they will stay in Nea Smyrni, as long as they make some improvements inside the small city owned gym.

I'm not sure why Helliniko isn't available anymore, as it passed the city's land survey. But anyway, Jordi loves those teams with shiny new arenas. So, I bet that gets Panionios in there. What would be the excuse then? Greece would be high in the national rankings and Panionios would be playing in a nice arena ---> faliro8th.jpg

Thanks for correction, Mindozas.

Victorious, Turkish finalist placed at border of direct spots/qualification , so even a small change of giving only one EL ticket to qualifiers give them a direct spot.

Prokom and Milano are in anyways, regardless of their A license.

Seed1
    FC Barcelona
    Olympiacos
    Maccabi
    Panathinaikos

Seed2
    Montepaschi
    Real Madrid
    CSKA

Seed3
    Khimki ( C-license)
    Partizan ( B- license)
    Unicaja
    Efes Pilsen

Seed4
    Zalgiris
    Fenerbahce
    Prokom
    AJ Milano

(France, champ)
    (France, 2-nd)

Panionios ( Greece, 3-rd )
    L. Rytas
    Nymburk
    BC Donetsk

My guess Jordi will get Valencia into EL: after all they're top4 ACB & EC runners-up. Probably a trick with Khimki C-license given to Valencia as EC 2-nd place.

What about those guys arenas : Banco di Sardegna, Scavolini Siviglia , Panionios, Buducnost, EiffelTowers ? Could they meet EL requirement of 5k arena ?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympiacos View Post
    Jordi loves those teams with shiny new arenas.
    But he hates empty seats ...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bounce View Post
    Thanks for correction, Mindozas.

Victorious, Turkish finalist placed at border of direct spots/qualification , so even a small change of giving only one EL ticket to qualifiers give them a direct spot.

Prokom and Milano are in anyways, regardless of their A license.

Seed1
    FC Barcelona
    Olympiacos
    Maccabi
    Panathinaikos

Seed2
    Montepaschi
    Real Madrid
    CSKA

Seed3
    Khimki ( C-license)
    Partizan ( B- license)
    Unicaja
    Efes Pilsen

Seed4
    Zalgiris
    Fenerbahce
    Prokom
    AJ Milano

(France, champ)
    (France, 2-nd)

Panionios ( Greece, 3-rd )
    L. Rytas
    Nymburk
    BC Donetsk

My guess Jordi will get Valencia into EL: after all they're top4 ACB & EC runners-up. Probably a trick with Khimki C-license given to Valencia as EC 2-nd place.

What about those guys arenas : Banco di Sardegna, Scavolini Siviglia , Panionios, Buducnost, EiffelTowers ? Could they meet EL requirement of 5k arena ?
    Bodućnost's Morača is somewhere at 4500 capacity (potentially 5000 at max. in case of EL I'm sure they'd work something out), Scavolini Pesaro has Adriatic arena with around 10500 capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Olympiacos View Post

I'm not sure why Helliniko isn't available anymore, as it passed the city's land survey. But anyway, Jordi loves those teams with shiny new arenas. So, I bet that gets Panionios in there. What would be the excuse then? Greece would be high in the national rankings and Panionios would be playing in a nice arena ---> faliro8th.jpg
    Why isn't Helleniko available? Does it have something to do with a certain team with red and white colors which also happens to be the new European champion?
    They were always keen in moving to Helliniko. The arena is excelent.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Russian "Sport-Express" wrote about new system/rating of upcoming EL season(s). I don't know how credible it is, but you can check it there. Sorry, don't have time for translation, but IMO google translate will make it clear, atleast what comes to rating changes of countries

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast