Page 57 of 128 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2547

Thread: SBP Long-Term National Pool (Vol. XVII)

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post

Don't do it, Chot.
    Oh, no LOL...
    See You In #SPAIN2014

See you In #DUBAI2014

Quote Originally Posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Jordan coach: RP can be great again
    June 25, 2010 By JONAS TERRADO

Jordan national team coach Mario Palma believes the Philippines can be a powerhouse team in Asia if it plays the right way - no fancy moves and play tough and honest defense.

Palma, a Portuguese national who guided the Jordanese to their first-ever stint in the FIBA World Championship in Turkey this August, thinks that with Rajko Toroman coaching the Smart Gilas-RP team, the culture of Philippine basketball is in for a big change.

"I haven't coach against this team (Smart-Gilas) but I heard it's a pretty good team," said Palma.

"I don't know about the team but I have an idea about how coach Rajko is doing with this squad."

This marks the first time that Palma will be playing against the Smart-Gilas team although he's no longer stranger to the Filipinos' brand of play, having played against the PBA-backed RP team in 2007 and 2007.

Jordan won in both occasions that undermined its status as one of the fast emerging powers in Asia.

Palma acknowledges the country's very rich crop of talent but said the Philippines can't achieve its goal playing back in the Olympics if the Filipinos won't play as a team. "You see, basketball is a team game. Offense sells tickets but defense wins games," said Palma.

"The Philippines can be great in the world but for what I see, if they (Filipinos) play for spectators and not play to win games, it will be very difficult. When you go to international tournament and you have only talent then it will be difficult for the since other teams have also talent but more effort."

"I think the Philippines has very much talent than us but they lost to us (Jordan). Why Because we are better organized in terms of defense. It's a team game," he added.

"They are really good, they have talented players but in the end, you cannot win like this in my opinion and coach Rajko will change this. So I think it's a very different team it will not be the same team that I saw before." he added.

Barangay Ginebra team manager Samboy Lim, who was one of the key components of the fabled Northern Consolidated squad of American mentor Ron Jacobs, agreed with Palma, saying during their time, they also prepared for two to three years before they realized their talent as a team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do U think Mario Palma was trying to drive-out in making those statements? Wasn't Palma trying to tell us that Philippine basketball's free-wheeling & individualistic style of game would never work in international competitions and that certain changes as far as our approach of the game must be made?

When Rajko Toroman was hired as head coach of Smart Gilas program, among the objectives of the program was to teach the Filipino players how to play the international style of basketball. Like Palma, Toroman believes that Filipino players have the individual talent & that Philippine basketball has a greater depth of talent than most countries in Asia. Toroman however believed that Filipinos lacked the "tactical skills" essential in the international game. It is for this reason that the Smart Gilas program was founded - to teach & train our promising amateur cagers the techniques & tactics of the international game. It is for this reason why Toroman believed that the amateur players of Gilas, as young & raw as they were, will be more competitive than the more talented & more matured PBA-select national teams. While amateur players were inferior than their PBA counterparts in terms of individual talent, learning the techniques & tactics of the international game from a veteran international coach, combined w/ cohesion & the experience playing in international meets will more than compensate for whatever deficiencies in individual talents & maturity these amateurs had.

With the Gilas program, Toroman has put emphasis on passing, team defense, ball movement & movement w/o the ball & playing under a structured system. Players were made to realize that superiority in individual talent & line-up depth don't count in international basketball as much as teamwork & cohesion do.

In terms of individual talent, Smart Gilas cagers (w/ the exception of Marcus Douthit), were no match against their PBA counterparts. PBA superstars are obviously more refined, more polished, & more matured compared to the amateur cagers of Gilas. Chris Tiu would be no match going one on one w/ James Yap or Mark Caguioa. Jimmy Alapag will easily outsmart Jayvee Casio. Kerby Raymundo, be4 he got injured, would easily outplay a Mac Barracael. Yet facts will tell us that Smart Gilas team fared better in international tournaments than the PBA-select national teams in 2007 & 2009.

Toroman was in the process of revolutionizing Philippine basketball - transforming it from an individualistic free-wheeling style to a teamwork oriented & structured system concept. It was unfortunate that Toroman had to go & be replaced by a PBA coach. Just when our players were starting to master the international game through a foreign coach, we kicked that foreign coach's ass & replaced him w/ a PBA coach whose basketball orientation isn't really geared towards the international game. It seems to me, we are going in circles instead of making some progress.

Let's take those words from a proven "winner" like Mario Palma who knows his basketball much better than anyone of us in this forum. We have to remember, those words were coming from a "neutral" individual. I wonder what Palma would be saying if informed that Smart Gilas under Toroman finished 4th in last year's FIBA-Asia, yet we kicked Torman's ass & replaced him w/ a local coach simply becoz Toroman failed to accomplish his mission. Perhaps Palma would only be shaking his head as if to say "Filipinos have never learned their lessons"
    Unfortunately, Palma's opinion does not matter to MVP. Chot's opinion meanwhile...

And oh, Toroman is currently revolutionizing SMC's basketball. If you get my drift...
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by dtfernando View Post
    What's the big deal about Toroman and Palma in this thread? Amateur coaches who are as good or better than them are dime a dozen in the USA. One of these coaches, Jacobs, delivered results even better than Toroman's. An amateur coach from Florida State Seminoles, North Carolina Tar Heels or Duke Blue Devils would likely produce even better results for the Pinoy national teams -- these coaches tend to be far fiercer and more pattern- and work-oriented than NBA coaches -- than the named coaches based on the recent consistent good quality ball produced by these schools.

Did I forgot to say that the present successful coaches of the USA NBA players for the Olympics are still associated more with amateur ball than pro ball?

In fairness to Pinoys, none of the three teams mentioned are small, and are easily coachable like all college-level teams. The Seminoles, which upset the favored North Carolina in the ACC, now has a 15-man team that has the size, three-point shooting and quickness that can crush the current Chinese national team. Oddly, Duke has three Plumlee brothers who are all forwards standing 6'10"-6'11". North Carolina doesn't even have a center (half of 16 players are forwards); but their forwards are some of the smoothest and coolest playing ones for the NCAA.
    What's the big deal about Palma & Toroman in this thread? They understand basketball much much more than anyone else in this thread. That's the reason why their opinions weigh a lot more than ours.

"Did I forgot to say that the present successful coaches of the USA NBA players for the Olympics are still associated more with amateur ball than pro ball?"

I'm very much aware of that. Wasn't coach "K" who led team USA to the gold medal podiums in the 2008 Beijing Olympics & 2010 World Basketball Championship an amateur coach handling Duke University? Why do U think USA Basketball decided to hire an amateur coach to handle the USA "Redeem" team instead of simply picking an NBA coach? Simply becoz NBA coaches had difficulty adjusting to FIBA rules in international game as evident of the dismal performances of NBA-select USA teams in the 2002 World Basketball Championship (6th place) & the 2004 Athens Olympics (3rd place).

The Americans shifted to an amateur coach to handle their national team. They realized that the dissimilarity of style of NBA basketball from international basketball makes it difficult for NBA coaches to adjust to FIBA rules. In our part, it has also been a proven fact that PBA style is different from the FIBA style. Wouldn't also be prudent that we do away w/ PBA coaches handling our national team & stick w/ a foreign coach who has vast experience in international basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Killer View Post
    Oh, no LOL...
    chot fans: "but he is a legit nba starter" .... "he gets double double in the nba no one can stop him in asia"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"When I cry, it is not because I lost. It is because I won. I never lost. I always get up and move forward"

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Don't do it, Chot.
    Hahaha. Come on now DT. He's only 23 years old and he actually works and plays hard, even though he does some "stupid" things on the court. If he played on a team that had more veterans, he'd definitely play better and not have as many bone headed plays. For someone as young as him, playing on a team like the Washington "Black Hole" Wizards won't do well in his development. I actually feel for John Wall as he can't do anything when he's on such a bad team. The Wizards are talented, but their players are just too selfish (e.g. Nick Young, Jordan Crawford). I'm willing to give McGee time to develop even further. He's still young. In the meantime, we still have Douthit for the immediate future so I suggest we focus on getting him to resign with Gilas. :P
    Credit goes to CKR13 for this! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by elcian View Post
    Hahaha. Come on now DT. He's only 23 years old and he actually works and plays hard, even though he does some "stupid" things on the court. If he played on a team that had more veterans, he'd definitely play better and not have as many bone headed plays. For someone as young as him, playing on a team like the Washington "Black Hole" Wizards won't do well in his development. I actually feel for John Wall as he can't do anything when he's on such a bad team. The Wizards are talented, but their players are just too selfish (e.g. Nick Young, Jordan Crawford). I'm willing to give McGee time to develop even further. He's still young. In the meantime, we still have Douthit for the immediate future so I suggest we focus on getting him to resign with Gilas. :P
    i am not for or against an eventual McGee acquisition really. Excited to to say the least, but i don't know what to expect or make of it. If we do take that road i hope they consider it more than a pure business move (exposure) and actually think of how he is going to be used in the system. Then again, ultimately i don't think we can afford him so that could be a blessing in disguise.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Banned

Unfortunately, Palma's opinion does not matter to MVP. Chot's opinion meanwhile...

And oh, Toroman is currently revolutionizing SMC's basketball. If you get my drift...

YES DT!.. TOROMAN is indeed revolutionizing it...
    clear proof is replacing CA44 w/ Vroman.
    2-1 vs 1-2!....

do the MATH!

well difference between Palma,Toroman and the local coaches.These coaches had experience playing in the Olympics and WBC.In the case of Ginebra,sucks to be on your team.Maybe it's the aging over dribbling locals they should replace
    "Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail"

Quote Originally Posted by kgi View Post
    2-1 vs 1-2!....

do the MATH!
    Should have been 0-3 with Alexander. + 1-2 with Vroman. Yup, it should have been 1-5 and out of playoff contention

SMALLBALL, bitches..

2-1 vs 1-2!....

do the MATH!
    ask the Petron, Ginebra and Bmeg, they were supposed to lead the league as of today

Default Belief and foul throw shooting

There is a science article today that should be read by all foul-throw shooters of the national team who tend to foul up shots when these matter the most. In essence, the best baseball batters believe the ball is bigger, and the best foul-throw shooters think the basket is bigger.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0313121729.htm

2-1 vs 1-2!....

do the MATH!
    Once again you have succesfull in bringing the NT team discussion to the toilet bowl

2-1 vs 1-2!....

do the MATH!
    LOL what a stupid reply to a topic... a retard in disguise....

Since Japeth is warming the TNT bench, why don't they send him to states so he can be trained, just like what Redbull did in the past for Kerby Raymundo. Raymundo was disappointing in his early years, so they send him to states to be trained and look at the result, he is a much better player

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by analyzed View Post
    Once again you have succesfull in bringing the NT team discussion to the toilet bowl
    hahahha..
    y yo mad bro??? affected?????

oo nga pala... ur one of the TORO boys...
    sori if i hurt ur feelings...
    trabaho lang po.
    hehehehe!.....

who knows they indeed revolutionize it... lets hope for the best!
    Go BGK!
    GINSANITY!

snow badua
    MANNY V. PANGILINAN: Sina JUNMAR FAJARDO rin hopefully they join GILAS. Madami pang kinu-consider. Pero yung COACHING POOL na ang bahala.

snow badua ‏
    MANNY V. PANGILINAN: Oo, tama mataas basketball IQ ni KEVIN ALAS. Saka matapang. Si GARVO LANETE din. Magaling.

snow badua
    MVP: Gusto ko sa amateur yung ibang players ng BASTE, sina ABUEVA, SANGGALANG, GREGORY SLAUGHTER, KIEFER and also yung KEVIN ALAS.

snow badua
    MVP: Pero syempre, we have to identify muna our cadets (college & amateur) players. Sila ang foundation tapos PBA ang reinforcement.
    snow badua ‏
    MANNY V. PANGILINAN: We would want yan si GARY DAVID. Magaling siya. Skillful at scorer. And then iyan si RANIDEL DE OCAMPO.

snow badua
    SNOW to MANNY V. PANGILINAN: May wishlist po ba kayo sa mga players na i-i-include? MVP: Merun. Madami. I think yun din halos ang kay COACH

snow badua ‏
    MANNY V. PANGILINAN: In the next few days or weeks, mailalabas na ni COACH CHOT REYES ang composition ng SMART GILAS NATIONAL TEAM 2
    You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take!

I didn't know that doing this forum is now a profession. Mind educating me how I can earn here?

hahahha..

trabaho lang po.
    hehehehe!.....

Go BGK!
    GINSANITY!

hahahha..

trabaho lang po.
    hehehehe!.....

Go BGK!
    GINSANITY!
    trabaho?stupido bakero!

BTW can u just fix the formatting of your sentences here?its pretty annoying.
    Gin Kings is on the roll, rolling out of the playoffs.

hahahha..

trabaho lang po.
    hehehehe!.....

GINSANITY!

Mad is not the word, more like annoyed. I didn’t know we had professional trolls here whose job is to annoy.

Some PBA team fans become more enthusiastic and curious when they see posts here. Anyway, the Snow Badua factoids should establish that Smart Gilas 2 is about the development also of a very strong pre-PBA pool as it is about the PBA teams. An NLEX/Sinag selection can already easily hold its own against the best PBA teams; it even has the advantage of having energetic young players who are also less prone to injuries. A good mix of international size, athleticism, resilient youth, cool veterans and shooting power would now be possible for Smart Gilas 2 in a way that was not possible with the earlier version.

Once the SBP stabilizes its high school candidates' tournaments and pool, the later versions of Smart Gilas would create even more excellent choices at all positions.

Page 57 of 128 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast