Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France national team 2012

FRA - Collet to visit France’s leading men in USA

PARIS (Olympics) - France have announced that coach Vincent Collet and national team director Patrick Beesley will travel to America next month to meet with the team’s leading players ahead of the Olympics.

Les Bleus booked a spot in the London Games by reaching the Final at EuroBasket 2011 in Kaunas, Lithuania, in September.

Collet and Beesley will be in the United States from 24 February to 3 March and will visit Portland’s Nicolas Batum, Chicago’s Joakim Noah, San Antonio’s Tony Parker and Charlotte’s Boris Diaw.

French Basketball Federation (FFBB) technical director Jean-Pierre de Vicenzi said: "It seems important to us that Patrick Beesley and Vincent Collet get the opportunity to meet before the preparations (for the Olympics) with the key players of the French national team.

“Together, they will be able to refine and shape the preparations that should allow France to build up for the Olympics in the best conditions possible.”

France have not played at the Olympics since the 2000 Sydney Games, when De Vicenzi coached them to a silver medal.

“This summer's get-together will be a special moment in the lives of our athletes and all those who are involved in French basketball must do everything in their power to make it a memorable/unforgettable time.”

The Olympics will be held in London from 27 July to 12 August.

Mickael Gelabale, meanwhile, is reportedly going to sign with BC Khimki in Russia after all.

The France sharpshooter had agreed to a move to the Moscow Region in December but the deal fell apart before Christmas after he failed a medical.

Gelabale hasn’t played this club season because of the ankle injury he picked up in Lithuania which hasn’t fully healed.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

France, being the second-best team out of Europe according to EC 2011, should have high expectations set for the 2012 Olympics. I really think they can vie for a top three spot at the 2012 Olympics, and I see them (best case scenario) getting a bronze. I'm not sure if they can defeat Spain or SA who both seem to be on their own level for international basektball, but they can definitely compete with them. Worst possible thing that could happen to France - having a bad game in the Knockout Rounds and falling down to 5-8th place classification games; they'd end up getting fith in my opinion. Definitely a good team led by Tony Parker.
    sigpic

Comment

FRA - Traore helps his case

KRASNODAR (Eurocup/Olympics) - Ali Traore is on the bubble when it comes to making France's Olympic squad.

He was fortunate to travel to last year’s EuroBasket in Lithuania because France coach Vincent Collet had cut him late in the preparations, only to call him back into the squad when an injury knocked Ronny Turiaf out of the tournament.

The 2.05m power forward/center Traore then made the most of the opportunity with strong displays off the bench.

In the Quarter-Final triumph over Greece, Traore had six points in nine minutes while in the pivotal Semi-Final against Russia, he had eight points and three rebounds in 10 minutes.

The 79-71 victory over Russia punched France's ticket to the London Games.

With Turiaf, Washington Wizards teammate Kevin Seraphin, Dallas Mavericks center Ian Mahinmi and Chicago Bulls pivot Joakim Noah all hoping to play at the Olympics, Traore needs to have a very good season with Lokomotiv Kuban to make the French squad.

His Lokomotiv coach, Slovenia national team boss Bozidar Maljkovic, is relying heavily on the Frenchman and Traore is delivering with averages of 13.3 points and 8.5 rebounds in the Eurocup, 10.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks in Russia’s PBL and 10.6 points and 4.3 boards in the VTB United League.

In the Russian club's Eurocup Top 16 opener on Tuesday night against Lietuvos Rytas, Traore had 15 points and nine rebounds.

On Wednesday, it was pointed out to Traore on Twitter that he had good statistics in Russia, and the big man was also asked how things are going in Krasnodar.

He tweeted: "It's going great in Russia, and you want to know what's better than good looking stats? Big fat WINS we get."

Indeed, more important than player statistics are club wins and that will not go unnoticed by Collet.
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Actually, with his profile, Traoré is a must in this team... You need to bring an inside threat. All the others are good, but can not create for themsleves like "le Magicien". He is the kind of guy who is never cold.
        It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

From FIBA.com: FRA - Noah may be more influential in London
          Sacramento Kings
          HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

FRA - Collet hoping lynchpins Gelabale, Turiaf make squad

PARIS (Olympics) - Mickael Gelabale and Ronny Turiaf haven't been playing much this season and that’s cause for concern in an Olympic year for France.

But the veterans still have a good chance of making the country's team for the London Games.

That has been confirmed by national team coach Vincent Collet, who last year at the EuroBasket in Lithuania guided Les Bleus to their first Olympic qualification since Sydney 2000.

Gelabale, an athletic, long-armed defender and a terrific shooter, averaged more than 25 minutes per game before hurting his ankle against Turkey at the EuroBasket.

After sitting out a couple of games, Gelabale played sparingly in France's last three games.

The injury has disrupted his 2011-12 campaign.

Initially on the books of Charleroi, the 2.02m forward parted with the Belgian team and eventually joined BC Khimki in January.

He has yet to play big minutes for the Russian team, though hopes to be fully fit and contributing a lot by the end of the season.

In his blog with the Le Monde newspaper last month, Gelabale accepted that it's been a difficult time but wrote: "The ultimate goal is obviously to be in the France team for the Games.

"After the great adventure of the Euro, we all really wanted to do something in London."

In an interview with FIBA.com, Collet was asked about Gelabale.

"Mickael Gelabale was one of our main players last year," Collet said.

"So, I consider him more, like, I hope he's going to play a little bit to get back on track.

"But for me, I know what he can do for the French team. I just want him to be in good shape.

“I think now, he's healthy, and I wish that for the rest of the season, he'll get more minutes and get his rhythm back to start (France training) camp in good shape.

"I hope that's going to be the case.

"But, we consider this situation for sure and can change our mind if it's too much."

Turiaf had to withdraw from the EuroBasket 2011 squad after breaking his left hand in the London Test Event.

The 2.08m center broke the same hand in January while playing for the Washington Wizards.

The 29-year-old came off the inactive list on Tuesday and should start playing again, soon.

His past experience with France counts in his favor, just as it does for Gelabale.

"It's exactly the same," Collet said.

"That's what I consider.

"I consider the team that we had last year was good and I don't want to change for no reason.

“We had a very good chemistry, a good hierarchy, and I think it would be stupid in an Olympic year to try a new situation everywhere and change what we did last year which allowed us to do well.

"We just want to try and improve and not change everything so for sure, for this reason, these key players have leader status so we hope they will have a chance to get back.”

While supportive and positive, Collet says neither player is a cast-iron certainty for the Olympics.

“It seems important to me that they feel comfortable with it and for sure if Turiaf didn't play the whole season, we would consider the situation,” Collet said.

"The same for Mike.

“It's necessary that he gets the minutes to get his rhythm back.

“That's for sure.”
            Artificial Nature

Comment

A 14-part series entitled:“On the Road to Britain” about the national team's preparation for the London Olympics was released.

Following Parker, Noah, De Colo and Team France “On the Road to Britain”
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

FRA - In the Flo

PARIS (Olympics) - Florent Pietrus is like a kid in the candy shop these days.

He wakes up in the morning with a smile and wears it all day.

There is a look of expectation in the 31-year-old forward's eyes, too.

Something big is about to happen.

"The Olympics is getting closer," Pietrus says.

"I think about it every day."

Pietrus has had to wait a long time.

He very nearly made it to the 2004 Olympics, but France lost to Italy at the death in the Bronze Medal Game at EuroBasket 2003.

Four years later in Spain, France looked to be on their way to a podium finish and a spot in the Beijing Games, but eventual champions Russia beat them in the Quarter-Finals and the French then careered out of control, falling to Croatia and then Slovenia to miss out on the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT).

Pietrus is an eternal optimist and never gave up hope.

Realistically, however, London was his last chance to make it to the Summer Games because by the time Rio De Janeiro comes along in 2016, he'll be 35.

"I think it's going to be a good experience for me, for us, because we haven't been there for so long," Pietrus says.

"Every day I think about it.

"I cannot imagine what it's going to be like. I just have to focus on the end of the season (with Valencia Basket) and then we can look ahead."

Pietrus is willing to admit there are aspects to the Olympics he's looking forward to.

"Everything," he says, "especially the Opening Ceremony.

"Everyone is talking about that and the Olympic Village because every athlete is going to be there, so it's going to be a great moment for all of us."

Is he going to put on a suit and wear a hat at the Opening Ceremony?

"Of course, this is the tradition," he says.

"Everyone wants to wear this. Everything about the Olympics, all of it together.

"We're so excited.

"I've spoken to the guys and we're just so excited about getting together. We're just waiting for July before we can get ready."

Pietrus is also relieved that a key man in the squad, Ronny Turiaf, was able to recently sign with Miami.

He had played just four games with Washington before breaking his hand and was sent to Denver before the trade deadline, only to be released.

Turiaf is in that core group of players that coach Vincent Collet wants to have in London.

"He needs some minutes and to play," Pietrus says to FIBA.com.

"This year is the biggest year ever for the national team and he deserves it. He's been with us for like 10 years and it’s great for him to find a team like Miami because he'll have a chance to play for the title."
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Nic Batum of the Portland Trailblazers is dreaming of a medal finish.

Olympics-France's Batum looking to tick item off bucket list
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Mickael Pietrus of the Boston Celtics is offering his availability for the National Team in the London Olympics.

Pietrus Wants to Play for France
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Collet announced preliminar roster, which contains 18 players + 6 reserves (M.Pietrus only among them)

La liste :

Meneur (PG) : Andrew Albicy, Tony Parker, Rodrigue Beaubois, Steed Tchicamboud

Ailier (SG/SF) : Fabien Causeur, Nando De Colo, Nicolas Batum, Yannick Bokolo, Yakhouba Diawara, Mickaël Gélabale, Charles Kahudi

Intérieur (PF/C) : Boris Diaw, Florent Piétrus, Ali Traoré, Joakim Noah, Ronny Turiaf, Ian Mahinmi, Kévin Séraphin

Remplaçants (reserves): Edwin Jackson, Alexis Ajinça, Evan Fournier, Thomas Heurtel, Kim Tillie, Mike Piétrus

Comment

Noah doubtful because of an ankle injury.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Without Noah, they don't seem likely to content for anything more than the bronze medal, but they'd be a legit contender for this. Very deep and experienced team, if they depend on Parker's one on one abilities less, they'll stand more chances to go far. The trio of Cuaseur, De Colo and Batum will be extraordinary in the wings and I'm glad to see Diaw becoming more fluid this season

They should battle with Russia, Argentina, Brazil and Lithuania for the 3rd place
                          Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

Originally posted by wardjdim View Post
                            Without Noah, they don't seem likely to content for anything more than the bronze medal
                            That's some strong statement, wardjdim! They do have an impressive roster and one of the deepest teams around. But they couldn't do a single thing against Spain in Eurobasket 2011 final. Their basketball (durring Eurobasket) wasn't at the level that Olympic tournament requires for being among contenders. Basically, it's a well known problems: lack of team play, BB IQ, poor shooting from downtown. Something always missing.

Not that they can't be much better than last year, but it's a huge challenge for them, IMO, and they are not standing as proven contenders there only because of well looking lineup.

I found it as a surprise the fact that France beat Russia in the semis last year. Also they played against B team of Greece in the 4 finals.
                            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                            Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Anyone think the French has a chance of beating Team USA this year?
                              i bet on anything!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information