Overrated/underrated movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated/underrated movies

Name them according to the box office, awards and nominations, IMDB rating...
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

The Hurt Locker, very lame, the worst war movie I've ever seen. And it got the Oscar...

Comment

Few overrated came to my mind now:

Hangover - ok I understand the large incomes: it was kinda mainstream movie, so everyone went to see it, just for the hype of it, but... 7.9 rating on IMDB - wtf... Do people actually liked it that much? Never understood the hype about it, another lame comedy, quite poor acting, uniteresting characters. Though, don't get me wrong - I like dirty jokes, black humour and I ain't any kind of abstinent, far from that but this was surely not my cup of tea

Paranormal Activity - also incomes are understandable (hype), it was kinda unique style of horror movie, but also unique boring. You are waiting, waiting, waiting for smth to happen, almost fell a sleep, but it doesn't. Also, young couple, so many nights were shown and... no sex scene, wtf

Comment

Watched "Warrior" the other night cause i'm kind of partial to Tom Hardy since "Bronson" and cause it got a rating of 8.sth at IMDB.
        What a huge pile of steaming manure!
        Of course it's not the first time IMDB's ratings are completely off the mark...

Comment

Overrated
          Slumdog Millionaire - An incredibly hyped fairy-tale. 8 Academy Awards, 82 at IMDb, 86 at Metacritic.
          American History X - Too simple for such complex subject. 86 at IMDb.
          The King's Speech - It was an OK movie that won the Best Picture award over Inception or Black Swan. Colin Firth did a good job, but this movie was hyped as hell.

Underrated
          Sleepers - One of my favorite movies. Great story, star-loaded cast (De Niro, Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon), but surprisingly not hyped. 74 at IMDb, 49 at Metacritic.
          21 Grams - Sean Penn was amazing once again.
          Carlito's Way - Al Pacino and Penn are not outstanding, but it is a good story. My favorite mafia-related movie, along with Godfather. 79 at IMDb, no Academy nominations.
          Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Since when the sub-forum is Music and Movies and not only music?
            Just what comes to my mind...

Overrated:
            I really don't get what is so good (except the music) in "pulp fiction". The same for all the movies with catchy phrases of criminals that people like to repeat after watching the movie.
            Also the movie Pi, that made by director that I liked some of his movies very much, but this one really irritated me with some things that don't make any scene from technological and mathematical point of view.

Underated:
            - as mentioned in another topic : "city of the lost children". But I can understand why not everybody would like it.
            - I really really like and recommend "El Metodo" to everyone. I watched it more than a year ago, but it couldn't be anytime more relevant than today in some aspects. Maybe for understanding some of the nuances one should be familiar with Spanish mentality (for example the parts related to the attitude to the Spanish language and other languages that exposed during the game with the ball . I mean I myself was exposed to this attitude several times is some basketball forums), but most of it I think stands no mater where you are from. Genius comedy IMO. I really don't understand why it's only 7.4.
            Last edited by ip84; 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM.
            My Youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by ip84 View Post
              Since when the sub-forum is Music and Movies and not only music?
              There was never a separate section just for Music
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information