Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who was the first local to dunk in a PBA game?

Default The Little Engine that could

Jimmy Alapag actually made a dunk in one game.

The first to dunk in a PBA game was Ramon Fernandez.
    To the delight of all basketball fans at the Araneta, Don Ramon accomplished the feat by executing a breakaway, garden variety type, one-handed slammer. During warm ups, a lot of tall young pros back then dunked, and as suspected only time held back its debut on the hard-court in a live game. The "Elegant One" delivered the first!

Next one to do so was Toyota team mate Abe King Jr.; he did a twisting two-handed reverse, spectacular! In so doing made it also the first acrobatic dunk in the PBA.

Third in this esteemed list was by far the most authoritative slammer-in-waiting. During the pre-game festivities, the early birds at the dome were treated to the most number of dunks that the locals can dish out, and there was none more prolific than our next dunker, and as time had proven, the most successful game-time dunker in the PBA during the early years.

He had the highest elevation, owed largely to his athleticism on his six-foot-five frame, tallest in the pros at the time, allowing for more lee way in accomplishing the feat. Alberto Guidaben could easily have had the pleasure of having the title for the first Pinoy to dunk in a game had it not been for the traveling violation called on him by the stripes, as earlier mentioned by a few of our old timers here.

After his first successful one in a game, Abet dunked the ball almost in all solo plays. He had that elevation; he did not need all the elements to align in order for him to do so, much unlike the first two dunkers, Mon Fernandez and Abe King.

Then came the time when the Crispa Redmanizers with Guidaben, played against a touring French basketball team(GIMM). He had a dunking spree that night. Since although they were tall, the young French ballers were slower than the Camiguin Island native, so he was able to out quick them to the basket, dunking at will.

That was the break that Guidaben needed for after that game dunking to him became so natural, even when doing it against imports. So an easy conclusion is that the novelty for “stuffing” finally wore off.

Next significant dunker was Manny Victorino. He dunked on Toyota import, Michael Hacket like he owned him.

After, turning the pages rather hastily here, few were known to have done so in dunking in a game in the PBA like Jojo de Guzman, Vic Sanchez, Romulo Mamaril, Salazar, Villamin and etc...

Meanwhile, a new crop of dunkers emerge in the amateur ranks. A new breed of jammers in the fore, as they were more blessed with better vertical lifts, making noise in the amateur ranks, these were the young group with Benjie Paras, Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa, Paul Alvarez, Pelaez, Nelson Asaytono, and Vergel Meneses. All said and done, all these high leapers graduated with stars after their names.

Lastly, I have an uncle that I've known to be a certified gym rat back in the day at the old Rizal in Vito Cruz, he swore by his old sneakers that Caloy Loyzaga have done it occasionally in his games in the old MICAA and even so more astounding, while still playing college ball for San Beda!

Speaking of dunking in college during the days of old, Edgardo Carvajal, all six-foot-six of him, heavy bomber from Jose Rizal College, was the one widely regarded to have done the feat regularly in games. He too, was the first one I've seen with my own eyes on the old tube, to have dunked in a game in the defunct MICAA while playing for my beloved YCO painters.

Spilled out there is my own personal recollection, even if it is a widely known fact that there is danger in all probability that age could easily have dulled its accuracy, heck! I still wanted to share it.
    Last edited by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid; 10-20-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Enz View Post
    Jimmy Alapag actually made a dunk in one game.
    a follow-up slam at that off a willie miller missed fastbreak lay-up...

paul artadi tried to dunk in a game during his rookie season with purefoods but missed it...coach RG was so furious at him that he did not attempt another dunk until now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
    Speaking of dunking in college during the days of old, Edgardo Carvajal, all six-foot-six of him, heavy bomber from Jose Rizal College, was the one widely regarded to have done the feat regularly in games. He too, was the first one I've seen with my own eyes on the old tube, to have dunked in a game in the defunct MICAA while playing for my beloved YCO painters.
    Thank you for sharing your recollection. Young readers might think its a factual error but it's true that after college playing days in the the Jose Rizal College (JRU to the young ones), Carvajal and the Cezar brothers, the main cogs in JRC's last NCAA championship in 1972, first donned the YCO colors in a non-MICAA tournament before transferring to Crispa in another non-MICAA tournament. Do you also have recollections if the famous Jimmy Santos was his back-up in JRC?

YCO was their first commercial team because Philip Cezar's brother in law was Elias Tolentino and could have influenced the move. Their first game with Crispa was memorable because it was against YCO and they overcame a 20 point lead to eventually win in their Crispa debuts.

ED Carvajal at 6' 6" was the tallest center in his time and was a teammate of Philip and Atoy in the 1972 RP Youth team. His transfer to Crispa also caused Abet Guidaben to change his jersey number # 14 to the # 5 that we are more familiar with. Ed Carvajal's basketball career ended prematurely under unfortunate circumstances. Last article I read about him is that he is still alive but has been bed-ridden for decades.

Then came the time when the Crispa Redmanizers with Guidaben, played against a touring French basketball team(GIMM). He had a dunking spree that night. Since although they were tall, the young French ballers were slower than the Camiguin Island native, so he was able to out quick them to the basket, dunking at will.
    Yeah he even remembers that touring French team that played Crispa, Tanduay and other PBA teams in an exhibition series midway the 1977 Open Conference.

That was a proper French team that visited us here. The Adidas-France team that competed in the 1980 Invitationals was actually a selection of American imports playing in the French league.

Quote Originally Posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
    Yeah he even remembers that touring French team that played Crispa, Tanduay and other PBA teams in an exhibition series midway the 1977 Open Conference.

That was a proper French team that visited us here. The Adidas-France team that competed in the 1980 Invitationals was actually a selection of American imports playing in the French league.
    Clabon being the only true French citizen in that team.

Quote Originally Posted by fordmo47 View Post
    Clabon being the only true French citizen in that team.
    We thought so at that time, but remember that column of Quinito Henson when he said that James Clabon is an actually American import, and it was only Dick Ildefonso's frenchified pronunciation of his name "Cla-BOHNG" that gave the impression of his being a French player when actually he was not.

The first to dunk in a PBA game was Ramon Fernandez.
    To the delight of all basketball fans at the Araneta, Don Ramon accomplished the feat by executing a breakaway, garden variety type, one-handed slammer. During warm ups, a lot of tall young pros back then dunked, and as suspected only time held back its debut on the hard-court in a live game. The "Elegant One" delivered the first!

Next one to do so was Toyota team mate Abe King Jr.; he did a twisting two-handed reverse, spectacular! In so doing made it also the first acrobatic dunk in the PBA.

Third in this esteemed list was by far the most authoritative slammer-in-waiting. During the pre-game festivities, the early birds at the dome were treated to the most number of dunks that the locals can dish out, and there was none more prolific than our next dunker, and as time had proven, the most successful game-time dunker in the PBA during the early years.

He had the highest elevation, owed largely to his athleticism on his six-foot-five frame, tallest in the pros at the time, allowing for more lee way in accomplishing the feat. Alberto Guidaben could easily have had the pleasure of having the title for the first Pinoy to dunk in a game had it not been for the traveling violation called on him by the stripes, as earlier mentioned by a few of our old timers here.

After his first successful one in a game, Abet dunked the ball almost in all solo plays. He had that elevation; he did not need all the elements to align in order for him to do so, much unlike the first two dunkers, Mon Fernandez and Abe King.

That was the break that Guidaben needed for after that game dunking to him became so natural, even when doing it against imports. So an easy conclusion is that the novelty for “stuffing” finally wore off.

Next significant dunker was Manny Victorino. He dunked on Toyota import, Michael Hacket like he owned him.

After, turning the pages rather hastily here, few were known to have done so in dunking in a game in the PBA like Jojo de Guzman, Vic Sanchez, Romulo Mamaril, Salazar, Villamin and etc...

Meanwhile, a new crop of dunkers emerge in the amateur ranks. A new breed of jammers in the fore, as they were more blessed with better vertical lifts, making noise in the amateur ranks, these were the young group with Benjie Paras, Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa, Paul Alvarez, Pelaez, Nelson Asaytono, and Vergel Meneses. All said and done, all these high leapers graduated with stars after their names.

Lastly, I have an uncle that I've known to be a certified gym rat back in the day at the old Rizal in Vito Cruz, he swore by his old sneakers that Caloy Loyzaga have done it occasionally in his games in the old MICAA and even so more astounding, while still playing college ball for San Beda!

Spilled out there is my own personal recollection, even if it is a widely known fact that there is danger in all probability that age could easily have dulled its accuracy, heck! I still wanted to share it.
    slight correction .....

Michael Hackett never reached the time of Toyota and he only played for Ginebra. Ed Carvajal only played for the Crispa Redmanizers which recruited him from the then NCAA Champion Jose Rizal College Heavy Bombers. http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticl...bcategoryid=69

Wow! you remembered Tano Salazar the former Letran Knight but he is not that old as he is part of Caidic's PBA Rookie Class of 1987. And even Jecjec Pelaez, the former UM Hawk who also played at the PBL team of Crispa but became a star at RFM-Swift also at the PBL but I feel he went to the PBA when his game was already on the way down.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    Yes, but they hardly did so. Fernandez, probably more often. Cezar hardly dunked the ball though, but he was capable of doing so. I don't recall him dunking though in an actual game.

Guidaben was probably the most frequent dunker back in the 70's among the locals. And as what POF said, more often than not, he was called for a traveling violation since he needed a momentum to elevate himself.

Jimmy Javier, the 6'5 reserve center of Crispa, was also able to dunk during actual games. His dunking style back then was actually more finessed than Guidaben's, although the latter improved his style dramatically entering the 80's.

The most vicious dunker during the 70's though would have been Abe King...
    Yea i remember i was watching a game live where he did a double back to the rim dunk on a breakaway the first local to do that in a game

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this guys. I just have a quick question though. Were all the PBA games televised? Or did you see them live?

Yes. During the early years, the second game was shown live on TV. After the game will be the evening news and then the first game will be shown on a delayed telecast basis. The out-of-town games are somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes they are shown on a delayed telecast. Other times they are not shown at all.

If you don't have school the following day, you can stay up late to watch the delayed telecast. Otherwise it's way past our bedtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hole View Post
    Yes. During the early years, the second game was shown live on TV. After the game will be the evening news and then the first game will be shown on a delayed telecast basis. The out-of-town games are somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes they are shown on a delayed telecast. Other times they are not shown at all.

If you don't have school the following day, you can stay up late to watch the delayed telecast. Otherwise it's way past our bedtimes.
    Tita Mel Tiangco used to do that between game news break. It was only when she transferred to ABS-CBN that we came to know she also knows how to speak Tagalog.

Those were the days when the PBA was still being shown on GTV-4, the government-owned NMPC network under then Information Minister Greg Cendana. The second game was shown live at 7:30PM, right after the early evening news of 7PM (at that time, the news was only for 30 minutes). The 7PM news was normally handled by Bon Vibar and Dada Lorenzana-Santiago or Mel Tiangco. After the second game, another thirty-minute late evening news was shown at 9:30PM, this time featuring newscaster Thelma Dumpit or Ruth Gaddi-Baltazar. Thereafter, the first game will now be shown at 10PM on a delayed telecast basis. Then announcers Dick Ildefonso and Emy Arcilla, along with other panelists, Lauro "Bay" Mumar, Rizal Marte, Caloy Loyzaga, Tito Eduque, or Bill Warne, were careful not to give any clues as to the outcome of the first game, particularly if the second game's results will be influenced by the first game's outcome.

When Vintage took over the PBA broadcast rights in 1982, they aired it over BBC 2, owned and operated by Roberto Benedicto and manned by his daughter, Kitchie. The same broadcast coverage was retained where the 1st game will be shown on a delayed telecast after the first game. A difference though was that Vintage decided not to have the same set of broadcasters covering both games. Because they had Joe Cantada and Pinggoy Pengson as anchors, and Steve Kattan, Andy Jao and Joaqui Trillo as analysts (Jun Bernardino was the first PBA's Man On The Ball or courtside reporter), it was not uncommon to see Pengson and Trillo doing the first game coverage while Cantada and Jao taking over the second game, and vice versa. This is unlike the previous broadcast coveror which saw Ildefonso and Arcilla covering both games 3x a week (Tue, Thu and Sat).

Eventually, both games were shown live. I'm not sure what year this happened, but if my recollection is correct, I think this happened sometime in 1985. Because the TV ratings was soaring and Vintage was gaining more leverage with its excellent coverage, BBC 2 was willing to give more primetime airtime for the PBA. After EDSA I though, and the Lopez Group was able to re-secure Channel 2 from the dictatorship, Vintage went to then PTV-4 for the continued airing of the games. PTV-4 was more than willing to give so much airtime for the PBA to earn more income for the network and because of the then new government's de-emphasis on highlighting its activities.

It was in 1982 when the new style of broadcasting was developed by this Vintage group featuring Steve Kattan, Joe Cantada and Pinggoy Pengson. Taking off from NBA broadcasts, they did away with the reporting of individual scores as done last by Dick Ildefonso and Emy Arcilla.

Back then Filipino basketball viewers have grown accustomed to how many points their favorite player scored at halftime and after the game (amidst a background of local street urchins, who wanted to be seen on television also) as duly reported by Emy. Even players who scored onlly one point were reported before signing off or segueing to the next game.

Or if you are lucky enough, even those who did not score would be noted. That is why in those times, you knew whether notable benchwarmers like Ricky Palou of San Miguel or Danny Picache of Crispa were not branded as DNP-Coaches decision during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
    x x x Ruth Gaddi-Baltazar.
    It's Rita Gaddi-Baltazar. She was my father's contemporary in UST. She was my contemporary at the San Beda College of Law circa 1985. She was in 4th year when I was a law freshman.

Which reminds me, as a law student whose first class was at 4:00 pm, I actually saw more of the replay of the first game than the live game. Our classed usually ended at around 8:30 pm, and coming from Recto to Fairview, I usually arrived to catch the last five minutes of the live second game.

The PBA aired both games live on Sundays. It was the week-day schedule (Tuesdays and Thursdays) where the first games were replayed. From what I recall, the PBA was aired live beginning the 1986 Open Conference, the one that featured Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett combining to lead Ginbera tothe championship.

VIDEO | Meneses wins PABL dunk crown vs Patrimonio, Lastimosa, Alvarez

Jaemark Tordecilla · Thursday, December 1, 2011 · 9:07 pm

By now, we all know that YouTube is the gift that keeps on giving — even if those tapes are in the form of footage salvaged from moldy Betamax tapes. Posted above is video from the 1987 slam dunk contest of the Philippine Amateur Basketball League, which featured the biggest stars outside the PBA back then. High-flyers Alvin Patrimonio, Jojo Lastimosa, Bong Alvarez, Nelson Asaytono, and Andy de Guzman were expected to battle for the crown, but a young freshman from Jose Rizal University named Vergel Meneses came along to steal it away. The most remarkable part? Meneses was competing as a guest dunker, as he wasn’t even a PABL player yet back then.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

This is like the holy grail !

Hope to see more of this rare footage of our legends.

Medyo Ot.
    maybe someone here has some footages of the rare dunks of our current stars, i found some in youtube, like the first and only james yap dunk in pba, the paul artadi dunk in a college game...still looking for that mike cortez dunk in lasalle...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12