Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the first local to dunk in a PBA game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. During the early years, the second game was shown live on TV. After the game will be the evening news and then the first game will be shown on a delayed telecast basis. The out-of-town games are somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes they are shown on a delayed telecast. Other times they are not shown at all.

If you don't have school the following day, you can stay up late to watch the delayed telecast. Otherwise it's way past our bedtimes.

Comment

Originally posted by gary_hole View Post
      Yes. During the early years, the second game was shown live on TV. After the game will be the evening news and then the first game will be shown on a delayed telecast basis. The out-of-town games are somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes they are shown on a delayed telecast. Other times they are not shown at all.

If you don't have school the following day, you can stay up late to watch the delayed telecast. Otherwise it's way past our bedtimes.
      Tita Mel Tiangco used to do that between game news break. It was only when she transferred to ABS-CBN that we came to know she also knows how to speak Tagalog.

Comment

Those were the days when the PBA was still being shown on GTV-4, the government-owned NMPC network under then Information Minister Greg Cendana. The second game was shown live at 7:30PM, right after the early evening news of 7PM (at that time, the news was only for 30 minutes). The 7PM news was normally handled by Bon Vibar and Dada Lorenzana-Santiago or Mel Tiangco. After the second game, another thirty-minute late evening news was shown at 9:30PM, this time featuring newscaster Thelma Dumpit or Ruth Gaddi-Baltazar. Thereafter, the first game will now be shown at 10PM on a delayed telecast basis. Then announcers Dick Ildefonso and Emy Arcilla, along with other panelists, Lauro "Bay" Mumar, Rizal Marte, Caloy Loyzaga, Tito Eduque, or Bill Warne, were careful not to give any clues as to the outcome of the first game, particularly if the second game's results will be influenced by the first game's outcome.

When Vintage took over the PBA broadcast rights in 1982, they aired it over BBC 2, owned and operated by Roberto Benedicto and manned by his daughter, Kitchie. The same broadcast coverage was retained where the 1st game will be shown on a delayed telecast after the first game. A difference though was that Vintage decided not to have the same set of broadcasters covering both games. Because they had Joe Cantada and Pinggoy Pengson as anchors, and Steve Kattan, Andy Jao and Joaqui Trillo as analysts (Jun Bernardino was the first PBA's Man On The Ball or courtside reporter), it was not uncommon to see Pengson and Trillo doing the first game coverage while Cantada and Jao taking over the second game, and vice versa. This is unlike the previous broadcast coveror which saw Ildefonso and Arcilla covering both games 3x a week (Tue, Thu and Sat).

Eventually, both games were shown live. I'm not sure what year this happened, but if my recollection is correct, I think this happened sometime in 1985. Because the TV ratings was soaring and Vintage was gaining more leverage with its excellent coverage, BBC 2 was willing to give more primetime airtime for the PBA. After EDSA I though, and the Lopez Group was able to re-secure Channel 2 from the dictatorship, Vintage went to then PTV-4 for the continued airing of the games. PTV-4 was more than willing to give so much airtime for the PBA to earn more income for the network and because of the then new government's de-emphasis on highlighting its activities.

Comment

It was in 1982 when the new style of broadcasting was developed by this Vintage group featuring Steve Kattan, Joe Cantada and Pinggoy Pengson. Taking off from NBA broadcasts, they did away with the reporting of individual scores as done last by Dick Ildefonso and Emy Arcilla.

Back then Filipino basketball viewers have grown accustomed to how many points their favorite player scored at halftime and after the game (amidst a background of local street urchins, who wanted to be seen on television also) as duly reported by Emy. Even players who scored onlly one point were reported before signing off or segueing to the next game.

Or if you are lucky enough, even those who did not score would be noted. That is why in those times, you knew whether notable benchwarmers like Ricky Palou of San Miguel or Danny Picache of Crispa were not branded as DNP-Coaches decision during the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
            x x x Ruth Gaddi-Baltazar.
            It's Rita Gaddi-Baltazar. She was my father's contemporary in UST. She was my contemporary at the San Beda College of Law circa 1985. She was in 4th year when I was a law freshman.

Which reminds me, as a law student whose first class was at 4:00 pm, I actually saw more of the replay of the first game than the live game. Our classed usually ended at around 8:30 pm, and coming from Recto to Fairview, I usually arrived to catch the last five minutes of the live second game.

The PBA aired both games live on Sundays. It was the week-day schedule (Tuesdays and Thursdays) where the first games were replayed. From what I recall, the PBA was aired live beginning the 1986 Open Conference, the one that featured Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett combining to lead Ginbera tothe championship.

Comment

VIDEO | Meneses wins PABL dunk crown vs Patrimonio, Lastimosa, Alvarez

Jaemark Tordecilla · Thursday, December 1, 2011 · 9:07 pm

By now, we all know that YouTube is the gift that keeps on giving — even if those tapes are in the form of footage salvaged from moldy Betamax tapes. Posted above is video from the 1987 slam dunk contest of the Philippine Amateur Basketball League, which featured the biggest stars outside the PBA back then. High-flyers Alvin Patrimonio, Jojo Lastimosa, Bong Alvarez, Nelson Asaytono, and Andy de Guzman were expected to battle for the crown, but a young freshman from Jose Rizal University named Vergel Meneses came along to steal it away. The most remarkable part? Meneses was competing as a guest dunker, as he wasn’t even a PABL player yet back then.
              LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
              Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

This is like the holy grail !

Hope to see more of this rare footage of our legends.

Comment

Medyo Ot.
                  maybe someone here has some footages of the rare dunks of our current stars, i found some in youtube, like the first and only james yap dunk in pba, the paul artadi dunk in a college game...still looking for that mike cortez dunk in lasalle...

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information