Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the first local to dunk in a PBA game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
    Continuing on with the world history of dunks (ha-ha), the one league that highlighted or hyped the dunk was the defunct American Basketball Association (ABA) which existed for 9 seasons from 1967-68 to 1975-76 before four of its teams were absobed by the NBA.

It was because that they had supreme dunkers like Julius Erving, Darnell Hillman, Moses Malone, Artis Gilmore and in its final season, David Thompson that they made the dunk a main attraction of their games.

The first dunk contest was held in the halftime of the last ABA All-Star Game in Denver, Colorado. Julius Erving won that one.

As for the question if Jawo, Arnaiz, Hubalde, and Adornado could dunk, the answer is no, no, no, and no. They didn't have too. They were great players who didn't have to dunk as there were other facets of the game where they were great.

Among the four, I know Freddie Hubalde could really elevate. In the La Salle-Mapua 1974 NCAA championship game, I sam him jump for a rebound with his head nearly touching the rim, but the dunk shot was never a part of his arsenal. He had that high banking shot.
    in later years he'll be known more for those boarding shots which he trully mastered in any angle .... even near the endline hahaha!

Those were the times players were really Pros, they would really try to at least master a certain skill by heart.

So not everybody were that driven to do the dunk shot. As previously mentioned only Guidaben and Fernandez would early on try to do out-do each other on who can dunk while others would do their own thing. Martirez, Webb and Fabiosa would try to make the most steals. Philip Cezar was the Shot-block king. King of the boards was no other than Abe King. Nobody can fish for a foul better than Lim Eng Beng. The acrobatic shots is done by Florencio. Adornado is the player who does so many fakes. The floating finger roll layup of Arnaiz is unblockable. The perfect way to do your freethrows was modelled after Jaworski. Fernandez also has his Elegant shot. How about Atoy Co's turnaround fadeaway shot. The best one-one-one post-up player was Arnie Tuadles. even if there were no 3-point shots yet, Jimmy Mariano and Jun Papa could shot baskets a few steps away from the mid-court line with both frequency and accuracy. Ompong Segura is like a wide-receiver who is the best in finishing the fast break.
    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Guidaben was the first one i saw - a 2-handed break away dunk.

Abe King was the first one who did a reverse dunk.

First few guards and small forwards I saw dunked were Gary Vargas, Joey and Totoy Marquez, and Steve Watson.

Players then can really dunk but don't try as much because the ring back then wasn't collapsible and might have been painful for them
      "better to know myself first before messing up with my enemies.." - jologs

Comment

Probably one of the reason why they seldom dunk during the old days was the defender sees it as a disrespect to them. So expect a cheap shot from the defender on the next play.

Comment

Saw Marlou Aquino Did 8 Dunks in 1 game.
          Why worry when you can Pray...

Comment

great read brings back memories. can anyone recall their very first game watched. question. if pros were allowed to play in the Olympics in the 70's . how far would we have gone with jawo, fernandez and company ? top 8 ?

speaking of dunking, that ginebra player before Ampalayo, I think is his name he dunks, right?
            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

The Little Engine that could

Jimmy Alapag actually made a dunk in one game.

Comment

The first to dunk in a PBA game was Ramon Fernandez.
                To the delight of all basketball fans at the Araneta, Don Ramon accomplished the feat by executing a breakaway, garden variety type, one-handed slammer. During warm ups, a lot of tall young pros back then dunked, and as suspected only time held back its debut on the hard-court in a live game. The "Elegant One" delivered the first!

Next one to do so was Toyota team mate Abe King Jr.; he did a twisting two-handed reverse, spectacular! In so doing made it also the first acrobatic dunk in the PBA.

Third in this esteemed list was by far the most authoritative slammer-in-waiting. During the pre-game festivities, the early birds at the dome were treated to the most number of dunks that the locals can dish out, and there was none more prolific than our next dunker, and as time had proven, the most successful game-time dunker in the PBA during the early years.

He had the highest elevation, owed largely to his athleticism on his six-foot-five frame, tallest in the pros at the time, allowing for more lee way in accomplishing the feat. Alberto Guidaben could easily have had the pleasure of having the title for the first Pinoy to dunk in a game had it not been for the traveling violation called on him by the stripes, as earlier mentioned by a few of our old timers here.

After his first successful one in a game, Abet dunked the ball almost in all solo plays. He had that elevation; he did not need all the elements to align in order for him to do so, much unlike the first two dunkers, Mon Fernandez and Abe King.

Then came the time when the Crispa Redmanizers with Guidaben, played against a touring French basketball team(GIMM). He had a dunking spree that night. Since although they were tall, the young French ballers were slower than the Camiguin Island native, so he was able to out quick them to the basket, dunking at will.

That was the break that Guidaben needed for after that game dunking to him became so natural, even when doing it against imports. So an easy conclusion is that the novelty for “stuffing” finally wore off.

Next significant dunker was Manny Victorino. He dunked on Toyota import, Michael Hacket like he owned him.

After, turning the pages rather hastily here, few were known to have done so in dunking in a game in the PBA like Jojo de Guzman, Vic Sanchez, Romulo Mamaril, Salazar, Villamin and etc...

Meanwhile, a new crop of dunkers emerge in the amateur ranks. A new breed of jammers in the fore, as they were more blessed with better vertical lifts, making noise in the amateur ranks, these were the young group with Benjie Paras, Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa, Paul Alvarez, Pelaez, Nelson Asaytono, and Vergel Meneses. All said and done, all these high leapers graduated with stars after their names.

Lastly, I have an uncle that I've known to be a certified gym rat back in the day at the old Rizal in Vito Cruz, he swore by his old sneakers that Caloy Loyzaga have done it occasionally in his games in the old MICAA and even so more astounding, while still playing college ball for San Beda!

Speaking of dunking in college during the days of old, Edgardo Carvajal, all six-foot-six of him, heavy bomber from Jose Rizal College, was the one widely regarded to have done the feat regularly in games. He too, was the first one I've seen with my own eyes on the old tube, to have dunked in a game in the defunct MICAA while playing for my beloved YCO painters.

Spilled out there is my own personal recollection, even if it is a widely known fact that there is danger in all probability that age could easily have dulled its accuracy, heck! I still wanted to share it.
                Last edited by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid; 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool_Enz View Post
                  Jimmy Alapag actually made a dunk in one game.
                  a follow-up slam at that off a willie miller missed fastbreak lay-up...

paul artadi tried to dunk in a game during his rookie season with purefoods but missed it...coach RG was so furious at him that he did not attempt another dunk until now...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
                    Speaking of dunking in college during the days of old, Edgardo Carvajal, all six-foot-six of him, heavy bomber from Jose Rizal College, was the one widely regarded to have done the feat regularly in games. He too, was the first one I've seen with my own eyes on the old tube, to have dunked in a game in the defunct MICAA while playing for my beloved YCO painters.
                    Thank you for sharing your recollection. Young readers might think its a factual error but it's true that after college playing days in the the Jose Rizal College (JRU to the young ones), Carvajal and the Cezar brothers, the main cogs in JRC's last NCAA championship in 1972, first donned the YCO colors in a non-MICAA tournament before transferring to Crispa in another non-MICAA tournament. Do you also have recollections if the famous Jimmy Santos was his back-up in JRC?

YCO was their first commercial team because Philip Cezar's brother in law was Elias Tolentino and could have influenced the move. Their first game with Crispa was memorable because it was against YCO and they overcame a 20 point lead to eventually win in their Crispa debuts.

ED Carvajal at 6' 6" was the tallest center in his time and was a teammate of Philip and Atoy in the 1972 RP Youth team. His transfer to Crispa also caused Abet Guidaben to change his jersey number # 14 to the # 5 that we are more familiar with. Ed Carvajal's basketball career ended prematurely under unfortunate circumstances. Last article I read about him is that he is still alive but has been bed-ridden for decades.

Comment

Then came the time when the Crispa Redmanizers with Guidaben, played against a touring French basketball team(GIMM). He had a dunking spree that night. Since although they were tall, the young French ballers were slower than the Camiguin Island native, so he was able to out quick them to the basket, dunking at will.
                      Yeah he even remembers that touring French team that played Crispa, Tanduay and other PBA teams in an exhibition series midway the 1977 Open Conference.

That was a proper French team that visited us here. The Adidas-France team that competed in the 1980 Invitationals was actually a selection of American imports playing in the French league.

Comment

Originally posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
                        Yeah he even remembers that touring French team that played Crispa, Tanduay and other PBA teams in an exhibition series midway the 1977 Open Conference.

That was a proper French team that visited us here. The Adidas-France team that competed in the 1980 Invitationals was actually a selection of American imports playing in the French league.
                        Clabon being the only true French citizen in that team.

Comment

Originally posted by fordmo47 View Post
                          Clabon being the only true French citizen in that team.
                          We thought so at that time, but remember that column of Quinito Henson when he said that James Clabon is an actually American import, and it was only Dick Ildefonso's frenchified pronunciation of his name "Cla-BOHNG" that gave the impression of his being a French player when actually he was not.

Comment

The first to dunk in a PBA game was Ramon Fernandez.
                            To the delight of all basketball fans at the Araneta, Don Ramon accomplished the feat by executing a breakaway, garden variety type, one-handed slammer. During warm ups, a lot of tall young pros back then dunked, and as suspected only time held back its debut on the hard-court in a live game. The "Elegant One" delivered the first!

Next one to do so was Toyota team mate Abe King Jr.; he did a twisting two-handed reverse, spectacular! In so doing made it also the first acrobatic dunk in the PBA.

Third in this esteemed list was by far the most authoritative slammer-in-waiting. During the pre-game festivities, the early birds at the dome were treated to the most number of dunks that the locals can dish out, and there was none more prolific than our next dunker, and as time had proven, the most successful game-time dunker in the PBA during the early years.

He had the highest elevation, owed largely to his athleticism on his six-foot-five frame, tallest in the pros at the time, allowing for more lee way in accomplishing the feat. Alberto Guidaben could easily have had the pleasure of having the title for the first Pinoy to dunk in a game had it not been for the traveling violation called on him by the stripes, as earlier mentioned by a few of our old timers here.

After his first successful one in a game, Abet dunked the ball almost in all solo plays. He had that elevation; he did not need all the elements to align in order for him to do so, much unlike the first two dunkers, Mon Fernandez and Abe King.

That was the break that Guidaben needed for after that game dunking to him became so natural, even when doing it against imports. So an easy conclusion is that the novelty for “stuffing” finally wore off.

Next significant dunker was Manny Victorino. He dunked on Toyota import, Michael Hacket like he owned him.

After, turning the pages rather hastily here, few were known to have done so in dunking in a game in the PBA like Jojo de Guzman, Vic Sanchez, Romulo Mamaril, Salazar, Villamin and etc...

Meanwhile, a new crop of dunkers emerge in the amateur ranks. A new breed of jammers in the fore, as they were more blessed with better vertical lifts, making noise in the amateur ranks, these were the young group with Benjie Paras, Codinera, Jojo Lastimosa, Paul Alvarez, Pelaez, Nelson Asaytono, and Vergel Meneses. All said and done, all these high leapers graduated with stars after their names.

Lastly, I have an uncle that I've known to be a certified gym rat back in the day at the old Rizal in Vito Cruz, he swore by his old sneakers that Caloy Loyzaga have done it occasionally in his games in the old MICAA and even so more astounding, while still playing college ball for San Beda!

Spilled out there is my own personal recollection, even if it is a widely known fact that there is danger in all probability that age could easily have dulled its accuracy, heck! I still wanted to share it.
                            slight correction .....

Michael Hackett never reached the time of Toyota and he only played for Ginebra. Ed Carvajal only played for the Crispa Redmanizers which recruited him from the then NCAA Champion Jose Rizal College Heavy Bombers. http://www.philstar.com/sportsarticl...bcategoryid=69

Wow! you remembered Tano Salazar the former Letran Knight but he is not that old as he is part of Caidic's PBA Rookie Class of 1987. And even Jecjec Pelaez, the former UM Hawk who also played at the PBL team of Crispa but became a star at RFM-Swift also at the PBL but I feel he went to the PBA when his game was already on the way down.
                            LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                            Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                            THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                              Yes, but they hardly did so. Fernandez, probably more often. Cezar hardly dunked the ball though, but he was capable of doing so. I don't recall him dunking though in an actual game.

Guidaben was probably the most frequent dunker back in the 70's among the locals. And as what POF said, more often than not, he was called for a traveling violation since he needed a momentum to elevate himself.

Jimmy Javier, the 6'5 reserve center of Crispa, was also able to dunk during actual games. His dunking style back then was actually more finessed than Guidaben's, although the latter improved his style dramatically entering the 80's.

The most vicious dunker during the 70's though would have been Abe King...
                              Yea i remember i was watching a game live where he did a double back to the rim dunk on a breakaway the first local to do that in a game

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this guys. I just have a quick question though. Were all the PBA games televised? Or did you see them live?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information