Balkan League - Hapoel Tel Aviv & Hapoel Gilboa/Galil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balkan League - Hapoel Tel Aviv & Hapoel Gilboa/Galil

Gilboa/Galil and Hapoel Tel Aviv passed on the Eurochallenge for a far flung operation run by a former Israeli referee.

It took four years for CEO Shay Shriks to land an Israeli team for his Balkan League; and this summer, he brought in two - Gilboa/Galil and Hapoel Tel Aviv.

"I think this decision will help a lot, because Israel is a basketball country," Shriks, a former basketball referee in Israel who now lives in Bulgaria, said on the league's website last week.

Prior to this season, the league featured teams strictly from Bulgaria, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia.

Hapoel Tel Aviv played in the Southern European league nine years ago, and joining the Balkan competition, which underwrites the team's travel expenses for league games, makes sense. "Hapoel is a big name in Europe," says club executive Uri Shelef. "We want to return there, and the Balkan League will give players experience and the opportunity to participate in these kinds of competitions."

Hapoel head coach Erez Edelstein says the team opted for the league over the Eurochallenge because the other competition did not guarantee the club a spot in the group stage. "We could fall in the qualifiers against a strong team and be eliminated after two games," he told Haaretz. "Here, we are guaranteed 10 games."

For Gilboa/Galil, in contrast, it seems the league was a default choice for last year's Super League runner-up. "The moment ULEB did not permit us to leverage our achievements to be in the Eurocup, we sought a more sterile environment focused on sports and not wheeling and dealing," said owner Haim Ohayun.

"We could have gone to the Eurochallenge, but the wind was taken out of our sails by the guys dealing in politics," Ohayun continued. "The Balkan League is a fun competition. It may be less prestigious, but the level of interest in the other competitions is not so high. What does it matter if we meet teams from Serbia or the Czech Republic? The point is that we play in front of our fans. We see a challenge in this competition, and maybe we'll find a home for a few years."

The Balkan League includes 12 teams that will play in two divisions. After two rounds of games, the division winners will automatically advance to the Final Four, to be joined by the winner of playoff games between the second and third-place finishers. If one of the Israeli teams advances to the Final Four, it could well be held in Israel.

Gilboa/Galil looks like a favorite, but head coach Lior Lubin is cautious. "There are no teams here who are the lions of Europe, but neither are we the lions of Europe," he said. "The teams are less famous, but I gather we'll have some tough games, certainly away. It's also a different style of basketball."

Hapoel Tel Aviv, which plays in the second-tier national league, has no such expectations. "I have no idea what our level is in relation to the league," Edelstein said. "If we win, they'll say the competition is easy; and if we lose, they'll say we're not a team. It's important for us to play; and even if we don't advance, it won't be a failure."

Hapoel opens tonight at home against Serbia's Napredak Rubin. Gilboa/Galil's opener against Bulgarian rival Rilski Sportist is scheduled for November 23.

Balkan League's website:

Maccabi Tel Aviv

EUROLEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS - 1977 & 1981 & 2001 & 2004 & 2005 & 2014
    Intercontinental Cup - 1980
    Adriatic League Championship - 2012

11 Oct 2011

Hapoel Tel Aviv 74 - 66 KK Napredak Rubin

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

25 Oct 2011

KK Feni Industries 82 : 85 Hapoel Tel Aviv
      Last edited by [M-120]; 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM.

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

very good game for hapoel.
        the level of the game was Surprisinly good.
        Feni didnt succesed to take adventage in here inside game over Hapoel and just shoot alot of 3rs that luckly scored in high % (something like 50%),that is probably why the game was close antill the very end.
        Hapoel in the other hand scored only 2 shots from the 3 but still with high tempo (they score 50 pts in tyhe half).

the level of all this league is basiclly just above the level of our second devision but less than our first devision.
        and for all of the european fans that impress that a second devision team from israel is making it big in this league ,just know, Hapoel tel aviv is the top team in the second d and they are probably the Maccabi of the second devision.

Comment

26 Oct 2011
          KK Mornar 76 - 78 Galil Gilboa

27 Oct 2011
          Levski 85 - 78 Hapoel Tel Aviv

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

Galil wins against o k k with a monster game of our own Israeli player Dagan Yavzuri. Dagan is just above this league.
            I expect a final of Hapoel vs galil

Comment

09 Nov 2011

Galil Gilboa 84 - 62 OKK Beograd

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

lol i see israel really kick some serbian ass this season.
                1. hapoel wins by 14 vs nepordak robin.
                2.galil wins by 20 and something vs OkK
                3. maccabi wins 2 times vs partizan.

Comment

Originally posted by cscarlos View Post
                  lol i see israel really kick some serbian ass this season.
                  1. hapoel wins by 14 vs nepordak robin.
                  2.galil wins by 20 and something vs OkK
                  3. maccabi wins 2 times vs partizan.
                  Yea too bad we lost in the Eurobasket

Comment

Originally posted by MaccabiTA View Post
                    Yea too bad we lost in the Eurobasket
                    let me remind you that:
                    A.casspi wasnt there.
                    B. Moran Roth and Raviv Limonad werent in the NT (Shivek fault) and instead Tal
                    burstein and afik nissim were in. (Yuval nahimi was to much on the bench too).

finally we lost in small diffrence after a long match.
                    i think we will be ok in the next time.

Comment

let me remind you that:
                      A.casspi wasnt there.
                      B. Moran Roth and Raviv Limonad werent in the NT (Shivek fault) and instead Tal
                      burstein and afik nissim were in. (Yuval nahimi was to much on the bench too).

finally we lost in small diffrence after a long match.
                      i think we will be ok in the next time.
                      You actually complain about Nissim being there instead of Lame-onad or Roth? Nissim was our best player against Serbia.
                      The truth is that if Partizan would play against any Israeli team that's not Maccabi they'd probably rape them, so don't compare the 2nd best Israeli team (Galil) to a Serbian team that wasn't even good enough for the Adriatic.

Comment

Originally posted by MaccabiTA View Post
                        You actually complain about Nissim being there instead of Lame-onad or Roth? Nissim was our best player against Serbia.
                        The truth is that if Partizan would play against any Israeli team that's not Maccabi they'd probably rape them, so don't compare the 2nd best Israeli team (Galil) to a Serbian team that wasn't even good enough for the Adriatic.
                        who said galil is the second best team? beside maccabi everybody very equal
                        partizan its like the maccabi of serbian bball so beside them who else can ''rape'' us?? red star?? lol.
                        and if you dont think Moran Roth is a great player you dont know what basketball is.
                        he getting better season after season. now days he make in hapoel hulon monster stats of something like 13 pt and 8 assis.
                        Moran is a perfect pg, he is quick, he is a leader, he make his teammate alot better,make easy buckets, he can shoot from 3 or penetrate. its just enjoyble to watch him play.
                        no need to say more, Tal out Roth in.

Comment

who said galil is the second best team? beside maccabi everybody very equal
                          partizan its like the maccabi of serbian bball so beside them who else can ''rape'' us?? red star?? lol.
                          and if you dont think Moran Roth is a great player you dont know what basketball is.
                          he getting better season after season. now days he make in hapoel hulon monster stats of something like 13 pt and 8 assis.
                          Moran is a perfect pg, he is quick, he is a leader, he make his teammate alot better,make easy buckets, he can shoot from 3 or penetrate. its just enjoyble to watch him play.
                          no need to say more, Tal out Roth in.
                          Red Star and Hemofarm are better than any Israeli team that's not Maccabi, I have no doubt. Mighty Galil of last season that finished second after winning the championship played in the Euroleague qualis against fu**ing Hemofarm and lost..
                          As for Moran Roth, mighty basketball expert, he's only great for the joke koppeleague, nothing more, monster stats like 13 and 8 in Israel? wow.. any average d-league PG can do that here.. he got his chance in the preparation games and proved he's below the Eurobasket level, simple as that. Perfect point guard? oh please tell me you're joking.. his physicality is far below average for European level and so is his height, his outside shot is average at best an unstable and so is his shot from pretty much every range, his 2pt% is very low in a league where there aren't mighty defenses inside and his FT% is laughable sometimes for a guard and average if he's having a good streak, his rebounding ability is near non-existent and his performance drops in the post season. Perfect point guard? if anybody here doesn't know what's basketball I'd say it's you.. he's a good PG for the Israeli league, would be a huge flop in any serious league in Europe.

Comment

Like a typical Israeli and especially as maccabi fan, you like to dismiss everything Israeli beside maccabi.
                            You just so used to the level of maccabi that you forget to notice everything below.
                            From your analyze of Moran Roth I see that you are the one who trys to talk like an expert.
                            I saw Moran plays enough beyond the stats to know him enough.
                            "every average d league player can do that" lol. You just love to think that every one so good and we are so bad.
                            An average d league player? Like who? John sechyer ? What was exactly the stats of Jeremy Pargo in Galil befor he went to maccabi? Worst then Moran. Now look who maccabi was so depend on last year? The Israeli league arent so bad are they?
                            Galil of last year could have lost to almost every team in the Israeli league and could almost win every team,like I said the league is very equal.
                            Last edited by cscarlos; 11-13-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Like a typical Israeli and especially as maccabi fan, you like to dismiss everything Israeli beside maccabi.
                              You just so used to the level of maccabi that you forget to notice everything below.
                              From your analyze of Moran Roth I see that you are the one who trys to talk like an expert.
                              I saw Moran plays enough beyond the stats to know him enough.
                              "every average d league player can do that" lol. You just love to think that every one so good and we are so bad.
                              An average d league player? Like who? John sechyer ? What was exactly the stats of Jeremy Pargo in Galil befor he went to maccabi? Worst then Moran. Now look who maccabi was so depend on last year? The Israeli league arent so bad are they?
                              Galil of last year could have lost to almost every team in the Israeli league and could almost win every team,like I said the league is very equal.
                              Don't make me what I'm not, I love Israeli basketball and I always support Israeli teams etc. you can ask our friend Roy M with whom I had an argument when he said he'd support Hamas if they play against Hapoel while I said I support them in Europe all the time, I loved watching their great ULEB season but I also acknowledge the weakness of our league and our basketball, maybe the thing with D-league was too much but you know what I meant, every athletic American guard that comes here can get impressive averages of 15&5 or even better and you can see that over the years, half the teams here rely on such players.
                              The difference between a guy like Pargo and a guy like Moran is physicality, athleticism, even height and mainly potential. Pargo did what he did here in Israel in his first pro season, Moran only got to such stats in the peak of his career and Moran's physicality will only be enough for a league like ours, where there are no real big men (except Maccabi) and not many serious players overall, by not serious I don't mean guys that you can pick from the streets but these guys don't belong in the high level like Euroleague or in Moran's case Eurobasket.. We've seen in preparation that he couldn't do anything because against high level players it's not enough to have great court vision (which he has) and it's not enough to have a talent, you need nature to be on your side and unfortunately for him that's simply not the case, he is not athletic enough, not strong enough and not tall enough and having all 3 disadvantages together is simply too much especially if you have no stable shooting that you can rely on. I also enjoy watching Roth here but let's face it, he couldn't do anything special in the Eurobasket, we've seen Mekel who was the 'Israeli of the year' in our league and in the Eurobasket looked like a 9th grader playing against pros, his shots were always too short, he held the ball too long and made endless number of mistakes, true he had some good plays here and there but wasn't consistent.. what's enough for Israeli league can be enough like Perkins, Pargo, Morris etc. but only when it comes together with athleticism and strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information