This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
    all this team needs is a GOOD coaching staff. hoping that MVP can pry Tab Baldwin away from Jordan hehehe. Coach T is more of a bench tactician than a player developer so he should have Norman Black to help with him eh??
    Tab Baldwin (New Zealand) along with Ruben Magnano (Brazil) and Mario Palma (Portugal) are the best bench tacticians in international basketball. They have proven track record in transforming teams from being a developing team to a contender. . . All three could make and guide future Gilas team to greater heights. Unfortunately neither of the three is available at the moment as they are all tied up with existing contracts.

Comment

• Without offer from SBP, Toroman looking at coaching options in Europe

With the renewal of his contract with the Philippine national team still up in the air, former SMART-Gilas Pilipinas coach Rajko Toroman is looking at coaching jobs closer to his home country of Serbia.

“I have several options I am thinking about,” Toroman wrote in a text message to InterAKTV. “Some are connected with the beginning of the new season in Europe. There were options to start now, but some changes were necessary within the team.”

After leading SMART-gilas to a fourth place finish in the 2011 FIBA Asia Championships last August, Toroman went home for a vacation and was originally scheduled to fly back to the Philippines last November to discuss his contract status. But his meeting with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manuel V. Pangilinan was postponed for January next year.

Apart from Toroman, also being considered as national coach are Chot Reyes, Ryan Gregorio, and Norman Black.

Last September, the coach said that the Philippines was his top priority when it comes to his next coaching job. The lack of a clear signal from SBP’s top brass, however, means that Toroman has to look elsewhere.

“I can’t say that the Philippines is my No. 1 option,” said Toroman. “I simply have no offer from the Philippines.”

Still, Toroman won’t be making a decision until hearing from Pangilinan.

“I made a promise to MVP that we will have a talk. First, I have to hear what is his offer and then I will make a decision.”
      "You don't play against opponents. You play against the game of basketball" Bobby Knight

Comment

• jayr_emlanoCPA Jon Robert F. Emlano
        RT "@PBAonAKTV: Without offer from SBP, Toroman looking at coaching options in Europe - bit.ly/slyqgc" ~why? Paging MVP! @NoliEala

NoliEala Noli Eala
        @
        @BongParedes Rajko and I will talk very soon.
        "You don't play against opponents. You play against the game of basketball" Bobby Knight

Comment

• Many fine coaches... Topex Robinson comes to mind!

Comment

• “I can’t say that the Philippines is my No. 1 option,” said Toroman. “I simply have no offer from the Philippines.”
            i hope we're classy enough to tell him what we want. And not lowball him with an offer of a team consultant position or such-- that'd be a big hit to his ego. Just tell him we are looking at other options and let's move on. (we=SBP)
            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• When will we ever learn?

Originally posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
              Many fine coaches... Topex Robinson comes to mind!
              Yes, there are many "fine" coaches in the country. Question is, are they fine enough to succeed in the highly complex world of international basketball?

For some years now, our criteria in selecting a national team coach is on who's the hottest or the winningest coach in the PBA for the particular period. But did this system work?

the Chot Reyes-mentored San Miguel-RP team finished a dismal 9th spot in the 2007 FIBA-Asia Men's Championship. Yeng Guiao, who was the hottest PBA coach in 2008 & 2009, piloted Powerade-RP team to just 8th place in the 2009 FIBA-asia. Then for a change, we hired a foreign coach in Rajko Toroman- a veteran internationalist to handle the Smart Gilas-RP team w/c finished 4th in the 2011 FIBA-asia.

Yet despite of the remarkable improvement of Philippine basketball in the 2011 FIBA-asia from the 2 previous editions of said tournament, our basketball leaders seem inclined to replace Rajko Toroman and revert back to the old process of selecting a national coach. Process that was proven to fail!

When will we ever learn?
              Last edited by JAMSKIE; 12-19-2011, 02:22 AM.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                Yes, there are many "fine" coaches in the country. Question is, are they fine enough to succeed in the highly complex world of international basketball?

For some years now, our criteria in selecting a national team coach is on who's the hottest or the winningest coach in the PBA for the particular period. But did this system work?

the Chot Reyes-mentored San Miguel-RP team finished a dismal 9th spot in the 2007 FIBA-Asia Men's Championship. Yeng Guiao, who was the hottest PBA coach in 2008 & 2009, piloted Powerade-RP team to just 8th place in the 2009 FIBA-asia. Then for a change, we hired a foreign coach in Rajko Toroman- a veteran internationalist to handle the Smart Gilas-RP team w/c finished 4th in the 2011 FIBA-asia.

Yet despite of the remarkable improvement of Philippine basketball in the 2011 FIBA-asia from the 2 previous editions of said tournament, our basketball leaders seem inclined to replace Rajko Toroman and revert back to the old process of selecting a national coach. Process that was proven to fail!

When will we ever learn?

If we failed miserably again in international basketball games. Lol.
                Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam (a.k.a.) Tuwid View Post
                  Many fine coaches... Topex Robinson comes to mind!
                  hehe I would have to agree on this...even coach Austria has smart half court plays..but I doubt that MVP would take a gamble on them.
                  "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Heard his radio interview yesterday, I believe with Dennis Pincipe and Ron ?? on 92.3.... how was I even surprised that this guy strikes as a very toughtful, an in depth type, and no pretensions but ambitious young coach. How this youngish SSC mentor tied to knots ADMU's Coach Norman Black's (GM level) game preparations from a novice or greenhorn standpoint (probably CM candidate master) is stuff for the water cooler talk ... pardon the bit on the chess jargons... hehe!

I gathered he is a Yeng Guiao disciple minus the bark.... and instead, all bite. I see only a giant upside to this young tactician when and if given any decent opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxjayrock2008 View Post
                      If we failed miserably again in international basketball games. Lol.
                      I thought you would say "pag tinubuan na ng buhok si coach kalbs" ahaha just kidding
                      but honestly I think we need a chris tiu to be the head of SBP sounds funny but he's more than capable and he fits the bill I wish he will be the successor of MVP , not barrios or anyone else just him. we need a young leader who is charismatic and idealistic not an old man na nauubusan na ng idea on how he will run the organization :d
                      Ako ang may pinakamalakas na confidence!

Comment

• What if SMC comes back as sponsor of the NT?
                        Maybe MVP can share the limelight? or he wants it all?
                        Darling it's better
                        Down where it's wetter
                        Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Comment

• Originally posted by toikins View Post
                          What if SMC comes back as sponsor of the NT?
                          Maybe MVP can share the limelight? or he wants it all?
                          We'll have two national teams. And we'll suffer for it.
                          If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• speaking of which.

anyone knows why SMB has stopped bankrolling the National Team? is it because of SBP is headed by MVP? coz i can remember that during BAP days specially the last national team organized by BAP. it was Cebuana Lhuillier who sponsored it. Anybody knows why?
                            The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• For those Filipino Basketball players born outside the Philippines and has future plans of trying out for the Philippine National Team and/or playing professionally at the Philippine Basketball Association, the first step to be taken is for said player to secure his/her Dual Citizenship plus Philippine Passport at the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate, its best if this could be done prior to the player's 15th birthday.

Getting a foreign player naturalized prior to his or her 15th birthday is also the most ideal.
                              Last edited by nardy; 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM.
                              LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                              Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• SBP to pursue naturalization

MANILA, Philippines - The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas yesterday vowed to work on the naturalization papers of Chinese center Zheng Xiaoping early next year after it was shelved despite Congress’ approval on its second reading.

“I have no update on the matter, maybe because of the holiday season,” SBP executive director Sonny Barrios told The STAR yesterday. “But the SBP will work on it next year.”

The SBP had hoped to include Zheng in the team that finished second in the recent SEA Games.

A portal of daily newspapers covering Philippine news headlines, business, lifestyle, advertisement, sports and entertainment. Also delivers Manila and Cebu news.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information