This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by weward View Post
    it was mvp who rescheduled? does that mean..."dont go back,we dont need you anymore,makiramdam ka" ?
    Can't you guys see the elephant in the room? Thanks.
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• The idea of having 16 PBA players in the pool is all for show. With the limited time they will be available to prepare (1 month) there is no way half of the 16 will even get to practice once much more play an official game. Think about it with a month prior to FIBA Asia. ideally your 12 man line-up should be set with at most 3 reserves ( Maximum of 15 players) with half (8) of those players coming form Gilas II members mostly amateurs and Doulthit. that leaves just 7 slots left for PBA players to be included in the pool to practice for a month. (no way will there be a 20 man plus pool with a month to go)

That's why the 16 man pool from the PBA is silly.. I can understand the 15 player pool from SInag , as there is enough time to filter who really is the most deserving players from this pool, as there will numerous practices and games over a few months to prepare and to eventually cut down the number. Plus 15 is a good size that you need for a tourning team. But 16 new players from the PBA for a month ! on top pf the aleardy 16 players from SINAG.. redicoulous ! that sound more like a whole league rookie summer camp rather than a team that will compete for the biggest tournament in less than a month. Another of Salud's silly promotional ideas !
      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
      https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Instead of promising a pool of 16 players, I hope they can just promise the availability of the ex-Gilas boys.

This way, they don't need to practice for a long time because they already know the play. Of course, this is provided the fact that the system will be continued.
        Hello Lipa: Lipa City's First and Biggest Lifestyle Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
          Can't you guys see the elephant in the room? Thanks.
          Silent Killer?
          sigpic
          the Future!

Latest NBA Trades
          NBA Boxscores
          PBA Updates
          PBA D-Leagues development
          Boxing Latest Buzz
          MMA's Head to Head Match up

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
            MVP had already said his preference for point guards that are big, from what we understood even Kevin would not pass the taste of MVP, he prefers the size of the Semerad Twins, so guys like Dillinger and Norwood has the advantage .... but in all probability we might be look at Filipinos who were born and are now based overseas.

With the current scarcity in the local leagues for Filipinos who are of unlimited height, consistent outside shooters and of tall point guards, we might look at the option of going the "Azkal" way wherein we tap talents who might come as unknowns locally as they are Overseas-based Pinoys who fits the kind of players who can be more competitive internationally.
            hmm..holt banchero pringle.. ^^, hopefully CS and Jordan Clarkson

Comment

• Toroman, MVP meeting reset to January; SMART-Gilas to ask help from Uichico, Cone

JAKARTA—The much-anticipated meeting between SMART-Gilas Pilipinas coach Rajko Toroman and Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manuel V. Pangilinan has been reset to January next year.

Toroman confirmed this in a text message to InterAKTV.

“I am still in Serbia. They rescheduled my trip to Manila for January,” wrote Toroman.

The veteran international coach was supposed to meet Pangilinan on November 15 to discuss plans on the future of the SMART-Gilas program.

Toroman, who led Iran to its first FIBA Asia crown and its first Olympic basketball stint, refused to give details about his new function with the next batch of SMART-Gilas, a squad referred to as Gilas-2. “I will talk by January, after my meeting with MVP,” said Toroman. “I can’t speak about my options now.”

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas deputy executive director Bernie Atienza said he has no knowledge regarding the decision of resetting of Toroman’s appointment with Pangilinan.

“Hindi ko alam yan. MVP (Pangilinan) alone can answer that,” added Atienza, who is currently here supporting the men’s and women’s basketball team seeking for the gold medal in the 26th Southeast Asian Games.

Butch Antonio, SMART-Gilas operations chief and Sinag Pilipinas team manager, said Toroman is still included in the shortlist of candidates to become coach of Gilas-2 along with the other coaches under the MVP stable.

Pangilinan supports several other teams including the Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters and Meralco Bolts in the PBA, the Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles in the UAAP and the San Beda College Red Lions in the NCAA.

“When we say coaches under the MVP stable, that also means (Ateneo head coach) Norman Black, (Talk ‘N Text head coach) Chot Reyes and (Meralco head coach) Ryan Gregorio,” said Antonio.

Black is the head coach of Sinag Pilipinas national team currently playing in the 26th Southeast Asian Games men’s basketball tournament. Reyes and Gregorio served as assistants to Toroman in the FIBA Asia Championships in Wuhan, China. Reyes also mentored the national team in 2007 FIBA Asia Championship in Tokushima, Japan.

“We want to have continuity in our program.”

Antonio also disclosed the group’s surprising plan for the Gilas-2.

“We would also ask for the help of Jong Uichico and Tim Cone, two former national team coaches to join us and share their thoughts,” added Antonio.

Cone was coach of the Philippine national team that competed in Bangkok, Thailand in 1998, while Uichico helmed the squad in 2002 in Busan, South Korea. The decision to consult with the two is surprising because both coaches are under the employ of the San Miguel Corporation, a rival stable of the MVP group in the PBA.

“I think both Jong and I would be honored to be part of the national program, It’s a no-brainer,” said Cone in a text message. “But this is a management decision which would be based on time commitment and the handling of our current teams. That’s not always a simple or easy decision for them depending on organizational priorities.”

“That’s flattering,” Uichico would say in his own text message. “I would if time and management permits.”

Comment

• Originally posted by elisher View Post
                Toroman, MVP meeting reset to January; SMART-Gilas to ask help from Uichico, Cone

JAKARTA—The much-anticipated meeting between SMART-Gilas Pilipinas coach Rajko Toroman and Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manuel V. Pangilinan has been reset to January next year.

“I am still in Serbia. They rescheduled my trip to Manila for January,” wrote Toroman.

The veteran international coach was supposed to meet Pangilinan on November 15 to discuss plans on the future of the SMART-Gilas program.

Toroman, who led Iran to its first FIBA Asia crown and its first Olympic basketball stint, refused to give details about his new function with the next batch of SMART-Gilas, a squad referred to as Gilas-2. “I will talk by January, after my meeting with MVP,” said Toroman. “I can’t speak about my options now.”

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas deputy executive director Bernie Atienza said he has no knowledge regarding the decision of resetting of Toroman’s appointment with Pangilinan.

“Hindi ko alam yan. MVP (Pangilinan) alone can answer that,” added Atienza, who is currently here supporting the men’s and women’s basketball team seeking for the gold medal in the 26th Southeast Asian Games.

Butch Antonio, SMART-Gilas operations chief and Sinag Pilipinas team manager, said Toroman is still included in the shortlist of candidates to become coach of Gilas-2 along with the other coaches under the MVP stable.

Pangilinan supports several other teams including the Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters and Meralco Bolts in the PBA, the Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles in the UAAP and the San Beda College Red Lions in the NCAA.

“When we say coaches under the MVP stable, that also means (Ateneo head coach) Norman Black, (Talk ‘N Text head coach) Chot Reyes and (Meralco head coach) Ryan Gregorio,” said Antonio.

Black is the head coach of Sinag Pilipinas national team currently playing in the 26th Southeast Asian Games men’s basketball tournament. Reyes and Gregorio served as assistants to Toroman in the FIBA Asia Championships in Wuhan, China. Reyes also mentored the national team in 2007 FIBA Asia Championship in Tokushima, Japan.

“We would also ask for the help of Jong Uichico and Tim Cone, two former national team coaches to join us and share their thoughts,” added Antonio.

Cone was coach of the Philippine national team that competed in Bangkok, Thailand in 1998, while Uichico helmed the squad in 2002 in Busan, South Korea. The decision to consult with the two is surprising because both coaches are under the employ of the San Miguel Corporation, a rival stable of the MVP group in the PBA.

“I think both Jong and I would be honored to be part of the national program, It’s a no-brainer,” said Cone in a text message. “But this is a management decision which would be based on time commitment and the handling of our current teams. That’s not always a simple or easy decision for them depending on organizational priorities.”

“That’s flattering,” Uichico would say in his own text message. “I would if time and management permits.”
                This answers on why coach toroman didn't come last november 15.
                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                  MVP had already said his preference for point guards that are big, from what we understood even Kevin would not pass the taste of MVP, he prefers the size of the Semerad Twins, so guys like Dillinger and Norwood has the advantage .... but in all probability we might be look at Filipinos who were born and are now based overseas.

With the current scarcity in the local leagues for Filipinos who are of unlimited height, consistent outside shooters and of tall point guards, we might look at the option of going the "Azkal" way wherein we tap talents who might come as unknowns locally as they are Overseas-based Pinoys who fits the kind of players who can be more competitive internationally.
                  how about stanley pringle and chris banchero who are just 6'0 - 6'1 but good.
                  sbp must push to get both of these guys. 2013 is just around we need guys who would be able to perform for real by that time.
                  Darling it's better
                  Down where it's wetter
                  Take it from me.

- Sebastian, The Little Mermaid

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                    sir nardy. if i may add.

why was coach rajko's flight rescheduled to january? who rescheduled it? sbp or coach rajko himself? any insights?
                    By this time you guys should have read between the lines on MVP's action or inaction on Toroman. As I said in the past if MVP is still going to shoulder financially Gilas 2.0 by his lonesome, it would be MVP's call on who would be the Head Coach. With him making a clear announcement that he offered Rajko a Consultancy Position and not as Head Coach before Toroman left for vacation in Serbia is as clear as day MVP was not satisfied with Rajko's performance. Of course Toroman wants a second chance. I think it is a bluff when Rajko said he has an offer in Europe as there has been a lot of coaching changes all over the world and been surfing the net and so far has not come across of any club or national team wanting to get Coach Rajko. When the supposed Nov 15 deadline came, it was not from the SBP nor Gilas Management where news about Toroman came from. It was actually a tweet by Noli Eala that he got surprised by a sudden text by Rajko Toroman that his return has been postponed to January even if Noli had not actually contacted him.

As a consultant, MVP had other plans for Toroman. We really need to have transfer of technology to the local coaches which was one of his objectives but Coach Rajko had barely accomplished. MVP had grand plans for the development of basketball at all levels. A lot is still to be done with regards to grassroots development. If we really want to regain our international glory, it is not enough to concentrate on the Men's National Team, there are other important things we should address. Some of the more basic things which really needs attention are the detoriation of our players free throw accuracy at all levels and the sudden lack of players who are consistent outside shooters, its not only 3-point shooters as we are also now lacking good mid-range shooters. What we had developed are scorers but not shooters. With our lack of height we also need to get our players and teams to learn to play different zone defense, our dependence on man-to-man defense makes all our teams so predictable in defense. So improving merely the Mens National Team is not enough, there must be changes all over.
                    LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                    Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                    THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                      The idea of having 16 PBA players in the pool is all for show. With the limited time they will be available to prepare (1 month) there is no way half of the 16 will even get to practice once much more play an official game. Think about it with a month prior to FIBA Asia. ideally your 12 man line-up should be set with at most 3 reserves ( Maximum of 15 players) with half (8) of those players coming form Gilas II members mostly amateurs and Doulthit. that leaves just 7 slots left for PBA players to be included in the pool to practice for a month. (no way will there be a 20 man plus pool with a month to go)

That's why the 16 man pool from the PBA is silly.. I can understand the 15 player pool from SInag , as there is enough time to filter who really is the most deserving players from this pool, as there will numerous practices and games over a few months to prepare and to eventually cut down the number. Plus 15 is a good size that you need for a tourning team. But 16 new players from the PBA for a month ! on top pf the aleardy 16 players from SINAG.. redicoulous ! that sound more like a whole league rookie summer camp rather than a team that will compete for the biggest tournament in less than a month. Another of Salud's silly promotional ideas !
                      The SBP especially Executive Director Sonny Barrios is giving the PBA particularly Commisioner Chito Salud a benefit of doubt and diplomaticaly see the offer are in good faith. The MVP Coaches Chot Reyes, Ryan Gregorio and Norman Black together with Jong Uichico and Tim Cone who would be asked to join as National Team consultants would brainstorm and the group would come up on who are the 16 PBA Players who should be in the pool but as of now alumni of Gilas 1.0 had the edge as the SBP would like continuity. Jordan is a good example that there is still continuity if the core of the team stays together even if there is a change from Coach Palma to Coach Baldwin.

But with the SBP also announcing that they'll also choose 15 non-PBA Players is an indication if the PBA fails to deliver, they would have more than enough players to do the job.

However personally I still have reservations on the PBA offer as there is just a lot of limitations which could be factors that might make the pool not really work effectively. For example if the non-PBA players learned a lot of new techniques from months of training overseas, how can we use said new techniques in the Final line-up of the FIBA tournament, if lets say half of the team are PBA players who are not familiar with said techniques as they were barred from overseas training as it is in conflict with the PBA season.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                        This answers on why coach toroman didn't come last november 15.
                        feel sad for coach .... but this kind of things do happen and maybe its time to move on.

If you know how MVP is in business, his offer of Consultant would stand. To Toroman, he either takes it or leave it. From what I remember, Nov 15 is really the date Toroman comes back if he accepts the offer. But from the looks of it Coach Rajko wants to have a meeting maybe to justify himself being retained as Head Coach but it seems MVP is not willing to pay for his airfare, board and lodging for a meeting at this time.

I think he is still awaiting for coaching offers before Toroman officially turn down MVP's offer of a Consultancy position. He texting Noli is a way to tell Eala that he is still available a subtle way of asking if there is a position available at the SMC Group where Eala has a great influence in decision making with regards to basketball matters.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                        THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• This is very good. if I understand this correctly, the SBP is consulting the top coaches on who they will recommend to be the national coach. i hope this is what will happen -local or foreign coach , as long as its a choice recommendation by the top coaches of the land. no palakasan.

Originally posted by elisher View Post
                          Toroman, MVP meeting reset to January; SMART-Gilas to ask help from Uichico, Cone

=========================================
                          Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

• So who are our prospective FIBA 2013 members, not just Gilas II members? from the SINAG team?
                            The guys who I see potential, not necessary the best now, but can really get better are:

PG: Ravena , Garcia maybe?
                            SG Parks
                            SF Ellis
                            C Slaughters

All the rest SInAg menbers I can't see their upside. They seem undersize for elite Asian level competition.

If you add , Ramos, Fajardo , Bachero
                            Other Fil-ams , interested in joining Gilas II.
                            Gilas I allumni and TNT's Castro, Dillinger and Williams.

You have a pool of 16 or so talented players to choose from. Reason I singled out TNT members is given the situation, they will have realistic more time to practice with the NT team. While Gilas I allumni know the system and Int'l ball
                            NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• If the SBP plans to win the 2013 championship, I think they should really give it a thought if they should consider the "gamble" of inserting the young guys such as Parks and Ravena. Yes I admit they are athletic and skilled but in terms of experience the Gilas veterans, which are also skilled and athletic, are the logical choices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jomar09 View Post
                                If the SBP plans to win the 2013 championship, I think they should really give it a thought if they should consider the "gamble" of inserting the young guys such as Parks and Ravena. Yes I admit they are athletic and skilled but in terms of experience the Gilas veterans, which are also skilled and athletic, are the logical choices.
                                The decision to include young guys like Parks and Ravena in the final 12 man line-up for 2013 FIBa can be made just prior to tournament. We don't need to make that decision now and we can afford to include them now in the training pool as aspirant and evaluate their readiness when 2013 arrives.
                                What is important is what we do now or starting early next year, And that is to form the training team (Gilas II) , not only will we be training the young guys , who might or might not be included in the team, but more importantly we will be developing or continuing the system centered around the most imporant piece in the puzzel our naturalized center "Doulthit".

Marcus at center and Tiu at point form the starting foundation which everything else can be built on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information