China 2012 [update]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
    No way he'll be dropped. Like I said, he'll be an important piece. You'll see.
    I know where your post is coming from, but Guo is a good kid and not a disrespectful player. He just has his own style and own opinions. Donewald is not as stupid, narrow-minded or evil as some Chinese media portray him to be.
    I think too that Guo is a nice young man, but could this be a case of growing pains leading to frustration? I mean, the spat between Guo and Donewald seemed to be the last straw. Though I think Donewald will not take this incident as a personal grudge to drop Guo. He seems more wiser than that.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

I kinda miss Sun Yue's Cheetah vest from ADIDAS. He wore it during their trip to Australia. Now he's just having fun.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

NIKE Lunar Hyperdunk China Edition

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Up next for China is the 2012 FIBA Stankovic Continental Champions' Cup.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

An interview with Pete Philo, Team China's scout, from this month. He didn't talk about Team China, but an interesting read.

Philo is currently in Caracas according to his twitter.
            aim low, score high

Comment

Promotional photoshoot for the team.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

2012 FIBA Stankovic Continental Champions' Cup

July 6 (Friday)
                19:30 pm China vs Tunisia
                21:30 pm Russia vs Australia

July 7 (Saturday)
                16:00 pm Tunisia vs Russia
                19:30 pm Australia vs China

July 8 (Sunday)
                16:00 pm Tunisia vs Australia
                19:30 pm China vs Russia

July 10 (Tuesday)
                19:30 pm 3rd/4th Placement
                21:30 pm Championship

I'm rooting for China, especially against the Australian Boomers squad. Payback from the YouYi Games.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Not the real Boomers. Australia "B" or "emerging Boomers" as they call it. Russia is composed of a bunch of university students. Stankovic Cup nowadays is just like any other 4-team tourneys in China, except they use non-Chinese referees since it's still FIBA-sanctioned.

China won the first game against Tunisia (their "A" team, minus their star Salah Mejri, who's in the U.S. preparing for the NBA summer league with the Knicks) 85-54. Wang Shipeng, Wang Zhelin and Chen Jianghua DND due to minor injuries. Yi Jianlian led the way with 22, Ding had 16, Sun with 10. Haven't watched it yet, but heard Guo played well. Tunisia was paced by Marouan Kechrid with 12.

Been watching the 6 games against ex-Yu "B" or "C" or "D" squads, some thoughts:

1) Some Serbian players probably wanted to rape the Chinese referee daughters. Bad joke, but point is we always have this problem, not much to say about that. Just like with any other thing in China, refs need to be more professional, that's it.

2) In one of the games, Donewald played a lineup that will make some Filipino fans jealous with rage: PG Sun Yue 206, SG Yi Li 203, SF Zhou Peng 209, PF Wang Zhelin 214, C Zhang Zhaoxu 221. They played close to 1 quarter and did very well I thought.

3) Chen Jianghua playing very well. Looks like he finally found his groove in the NT after all these years. If I'm right and they also keep Guo (now most Chinese media are predicting Guo is on the verge of exit, but I see it differently as I've been saying all along) we will have a competitive backcourt, probably the best this decade except for the relative lack of experience.

4) Wang Zhelin is China's best prospect since Yi Jianlian and deserves a spot in London if he recovers.

5) The ex-Yu bigs are pretty good as always but they have no answers for Yi Jianlian and Wang Zhizhi. Olympics will be different.

6) Biggest problems that still remain are defensive rebounds and perimeter defense. Pick and roll defense is improving with the zone, but still needs to focus more on screens and cuts.

7) Offensively this team is the best in 3 years, as they should. Our bench are more comfortable shooting the ball, such as Ding and Zhou, no longer will we have a bench that will lose by 40 or 60 to Turkey. Maybe 20 or 30 on a bad day...

Found a video from one of the games. Three monster dunks in 3 consecutive possessions (Yi Jianlian actually had 2 other dunks in that game), Olympics won't be this easy though. The point is, Yi can still jump and ball after a year wasted, but I'd rather he not shoot so many fadeaway jumpers from far. Donewald should tell him what his role is.

Last edited by sinobball; 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM.
                  aim low, score high

Comment

China beating Tunisia the other day 85-54, in the continental cup openers. Yi Jianlian with a double double of 22 points and 10 rebounds.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

Belated happy birthday to Wang Zhizhi. Solid fundamentals goes a long way. This could be his last Olympic stint.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Yummy Cake.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

China 2012 Olympic Team

Yi Jianlian
                          Wang Zhizhi
                          Zhu Fangyu
                          Wang Shipeng
                          Sun Yue
                          Ding Jinhui
                          Guo Ailun
                          Chen Jianghua
                          Liu Wei
                          Zhou Peng
                          Yi Li
                          Zhang Zhaoxu

Zhang Bo , Wang Zhelin and Su Wei were the last cuts.

EDIT:

Last edited by CKR13; 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

I'm not too familiar with Chinese bball, but if I'm not wrong they are goin't with only 4 "bigs" ? That might be the problem in such group if it's so

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              I'm not too familiar with Chinese bball, but if I'm not wrong they are goin't with only 4 "bigs" ? That might be the problem in such group if it's so
                              We only have 3, Ding Jinhui isn't a big, he's only like 204 or so. It might be a problem, it might not be. We will see. But this should tell you how China would play. I like it this way.

CKR13, what did I say about Guo? (who BTW in the CBA cannot get minutes behind 2 Chinese players, Zhang Qingpeng and Yang Ming) I was wrong about Wang Zhelin though, but I understand the decision. Wang has promise, but isn't ready. He'll get his chance in 2016.

China just won its first Stankovic Cup, an event held in China annually since 2005. Ten straight impressive wins against not-so-impressive teams, how much can this translate to the Olympics? Not sure, we will see. I have already given my take on the team, now there are only 3 words: Bring it on. As most people have penciled China as finishing winless, we can only overachieve.

Next up 2 games in Poland against Polish NT right before London. Bob Donewald has said he will stop coaching China NT after the Olympics, and no matter how that turn out, he will be missed. Now he has always been extremely lucky, getting into 2nd round in 2010 WBC thanks to other teams (damn we miss Puerto Rico!!!), winning 2010 Asian Games at home by edging Qatar, Iran and Korea in 3 straight extremely close knockout games, winning 2011 FIBA-Asia at home by 1 pt after an early Iran exit, but when everything is said and done, the team won't be here without him. It's been a rough 3 post-Yao years, but every year we see progress, more system, more confidence, more fight, and, better players. And finally we have 12 guys who all can contribute in London. When Wang Shipeng is our worst player (I think he is right now, he never really recovered from that injury last summer against Australia) we are in good hands.

So thank you Donewald, will miss your tantrums, no matter how London turns out.

Edit: if anyone is interested, some highlights from recent China games:
                              Looking for a place to stay when visiting your favorite basketball games? Check out the list of top basketball arenas and nearby hotels recommended by FIBA.TV.

Looking for a place to stay when visiting your favorite basketball games? Check out the list of top basketball arenas and nearby hotels recommended by FIBA.TV.

Last edited by sinobball; 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM.
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Guo Ailun's inclusion surprised me, but I welcomed it. Donewald wants three point guards for stability. Liu Wei is still the best point guard for running the team, but this will be a positive experience for Guo and the matured Chen Jianghua.

I thought Wang Zhelin will be included as I predicted earlier to add another bigman for experience and utility purposes. Though Wang will have more chances in the future.
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information