Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All things NASA, ESA, universe and alien life

Default All things NASA, ESA, universe and alien life

A planet with a bipolar sun was discovered a few days ago by NASA. There's a scene in Star Wars with Skywalker enjoying the a bipolar sunset.

A citizen in Vancouver happened to catch this on film today:

Could human-made technology stem such an accelaration in airspace? Not that we know of by all accounts. Naturally, it may be a prank as well.
    Last edited by Sitting Bull; 09-20-2011 at 04:54 PM.

All i have to say is:

Any links to any official (CNN/BBC) news article about it?

“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.” -Scottie Pippen

How about the comet that is supposedly going to collide with the earth on December 21, 2012 ?

There's also the talk about comet ELEnin on September 26, 2011 causing a disaster on Earth as well
    Last edited by Khalid80; 09-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
    A planet with a bipolar sun was discovered a few days ago by NASA. There's a scene in Star Wars with Skywalker enjoying the a bipolar sunset.
    I posted this news in OT section a few days ago, as I think it's fascinating, and it looks legit.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/sc...=3&ref=science

However, I'm highly skeptical about all those ufo/alien stuff.

Most of the phenomena described as UFOs are explained by science and attributed to atmospherical conditions. One of the examples is the ball lightning.
    Also since UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, how can the remaining unexplained part be attributed to alien life if the objects are UFOs?
    Apart from this, alien life is already a reality, the question remaining is if there is intelligent life as we know it outside Earth. Here the concept of intelligence (and also life) comes into place and is very difficult to define.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Apart from this, alien life is already a reality, the question remaining is if there is intelligent life as we know it outside Earth. Here the concept of intelligence (and also life) comes into place and is very difficult to define.
    Absolutely. Was aiming at that.

A way to breakdown intelligent life could be very simplified, can it travel in the straposphere by own craft?

There are also hints about past civilizations populating planet Mars. Very interesting if official NASA footage is valid.

A 7planet solar system, maybe the lesser ones do not count

Most earthlike planet found, gliese 581d
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ke-planet.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379256,00.asp

Found more, cant re-find atm

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Apart from this, alien life is already a reality, the question remaining is if there is intelligent life as we know it outside Earth.
    This is new to me, Rik. By reality, do you mean it's been shown/proven? Can you please elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
    A planet with a bipolar sun was discovered a few days ago by NASA.
    Really bipolar? So this sun has issues, stemming from childhood or adolescence up bringing, was the sun having an Oedipus Complex?

What medication are they prescribing to this sun Prozac or Praxil, maybe Mirapex?

NASA is this a nationwide therapy company, where doctors buy in a franchise to treat patients?
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    This is new to me, Rik. By reality, do you mean it's been shown/proven? Can you please elaborate on this?
    Dude i study biology and this is one of the most famous theories of the beginning of life called "Panspermia"
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
    It's says that the first organism came to the earth from a meteorit of the space
    BARÇA O MUERTE

Kwijibo, biology is a great science, I hope you enjoy it.

However, my question was different. I know about the panspermia theory, and I admit that existence of alien life forms are possible, yes, but this is just a statistical estimation. As far as i know, no solid proof has been found so far to call neither panspermia theory nor alien life forms a reality. Maybe I've missed, that's why I'm asking.

Kwijibo, biology is a great science, I hope you enjoy it.

However, my question was different. I know about the panspermia theory, and I admit that existence of alien life forms are possible, yes, but this is just a statistical estimation. As far as i know, no solid proof has been found so far to call neither panspermia theory nor alien life forms a reality. Maybe I've missed, that's why I'm asking.
    In antartida & australia some scientis found a meteorit from the space with microorganism. Another scientists did an experiment in the moon with microorganism Streptococcus mitis in 1967 and then in the earth they revived
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcus_mitis
    BARÇA O MUERTE

Well maybe I exaggerated writing "reality", but there are proofs pointing in that direction. And it's actually also related to what Kwijibo mentioned.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...urns-moon.html
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...58-501465.html

Also, there is evidence of bacteria living in extreme environments and feeding on toxic elements and so, so life is not that precarious.
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Kwijibo View Post
    Dude i study biology and this is one of the most famous theories of the beginning of life called "Panspermia"
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
    It's says that the first organism came to the earth from a meteorit of the space
    According to a "less excotic" academic theory, life arose on Earth through random natural processes ~3 billion years ago. If we deny that this theory is good enough, we have 2 alternatives:

A. Life appeared on another planet "through random natural processes" and it was distributed on earth through celestial objects.
    Does this theory explains anything?
    What would William of Ockham (Occam's razor) think about that?

B. Life was created on the Earth or on any other planet ("..and it was distributed on earth through celestial objects" or aliens)
    Does this notion make any sense ? I hope it doesn't.

Paspermia theory would have reasons to exist ONLY if the scientists had deduced that life could not have been arisen on Earth, but this is not the case.

Overall, Panspermia theory explains nothing at all.

PS Actually, we have no proof or indication of alien life. But since we presume that there are numerous planets with conditions similar to Earth (which is not necessary per se), we have reasons to believe that life is a common phenomenon in the universe, as long as we believe that life can appear through randomness under the proper conditions.
    I accept PAO is more succesful team that Barcelona

Well. if there is really life outside the earth, I think that would be wonderful. I'm looking forward to meet them soon.

I think we are on the same page with Adon here, at all points. The life's emergence, whether it was on earth or somewhere else is already amazing, and panspermia theory still has to explain how the life started in space.

please correct me if I'm wrong but one immensely interesting fact about earth life is that, from the one-cell microorganisms to dinosaurs, from deep-sea dwelling sulfur-metabolizing creatures to fungi, all life forms have the same carbon-based structures (proteins, nucleotides, etc), moderately differentiating in arrangement. This is a very strong proof as to its singular origins.

If we are thinking of a life form, totally independent from earth, an alternative could be silicone-based (just one-row below carbon in the periodic table, with similar properties), but polysilicon structures are said to be less flexible and variable wrt to carbon ones, greatly limiting its chances for a life-base.

Other non-biological life forms might be present, but it's up to everybody's imagination until any proof is provided.

Let's also not forget that humans (intelligent life) only had the chance to appear because some asteroid killed the dinosaurs and the result was a mass extinction... It is sort of by chance that we exist.
    Artificial Nature

Watch 6min and 39sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

Most importent picture even taken by humanity.

Our sun is jus of bilion and bilions stars in our galaxy, and in univers exist bilion and bilion of galaxys with bilion and bilion of stars.

Just in our galaxy chances are 100% that we have life on other planets, I'm not talking about intelligent life but about some sort of organism.

90% chances that intelligent life exist in our galaxy.

Our galaxu is just one of bilion and bilion and bilion galaxys so intelligent life exist with out a doubt.

I have to make religious people disappointed, but no, god didint create univers. Univers did create us.

If we are thinking of a life form, totally independent from earth, an alternative could be silicone-based (just one-row below carbon in the periodic table, with similar properties), but polysilicon structures are said to be less flexible and variable wrt to carbon ones, greatly limiting its chances for a life-base.

Other non-biological life forms might be present, but it's up to everybody's imagination until any proof is provided.
    When (if) the human race starts the exploration of other planets I'm sure that we will meet entities at the borderline of our current definition of life.
    For example the silicon-based life you've mentioned, probably it would be a mineral-like creature (its respiration would produce glass) and its metabolism would be very slow (considering that Si is less chemically active than C). Its life-cycle could last for millennia or even more.

An astronaut on Mars pass by a (seemingly) rock formation which is in fact thousands of generations of this silicon based creature (3 bilion years ago, there was only a small pebble in this location). The creature(s?) doesn't feel the human presence, because carbon-based life is very fast for it. The creature doesn't have any need for fast reactions. It will react only to extreme climatological or geological changes and the adjustments it would make, could take centuries to be completed.

The astronaut decides to take some samples for this rock- and it hurts deadly the sole colony of this species on Mars . The lab examines the samples and there is an obvious complexity in this "rock". In addition, the crystal structure of this entity can absorb external energy (minimizing its entropy) and perhaps the scientists can even observe the (very slow) process of structural reproduction- if the creature is still functioning after the sampling.

It's very possible that it would be considered to be a strange mineral rather than a living creature. The creature is kept as an exhibit on a self in Smithsonian. It realizes -after a decade- that something goes wrong.

(epilogue)
    The scientists-accidentally- keep the sample in optimal conditions. The creature survives. After 500 years the creature has moved 15cm, it's touching the glass of the shelf and it has started to absorb it. Just because of the observation skills and the curiosity of a young scientist who works in the Smithsonian, the scientists understand their mistake. The rock is the first alien.
    UN grands an asteroid to the creature (as a compensation) to live happily ever after and the species survives. Alas, Mars has been colonized by then and there is no place for the creature on its planet of origin.
    I accept PAO is more succesful team that Barcelona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast