Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philippine PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by st_ang3r View Post
    Right now there is ABL as fallback. i'm with the team managers side on this issue.
    but I don't see the ABL shelling out that much money for a aging veteran (the ABL is not that lucrative to begin with right?), same with the CBA, come to think of it, if you're a CBA team with funds at your disposal, I would rather spend it on a NBA cast-off than Eric Menk or Asi Taulava

Sad to say, the PBA teams have the upper hand in negotiations,

Comment

• Originally posted by Cryotek View Post
      Barroca will be indeed the star player involved here...he has the 1 championship ring, two finals appearances and he's only a rookie, unlike Vanlandingham and Ross!
      I think ross is the better player at this point though..it's a stretch to call barocca a "star"...unless you follow that up with chansingero or something.hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
        I think ross is the better player at this point though..it's a stretch to call barocca a "star"...unless you follow that up with chansingero or something.hehe
        Ross is just like an upgraded Artadi...if only Barroca has played 20-30mins per game last season for Bmeg, I guess he'll playing for ROY honor.
        Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

Comment

Barroca will be indeed the star player involved here...he has the 1 championship ring, two finals appearances and he's only a rookie, unlike Vanlandingham and Ross!
          San Mig could afford to let go of Barroca as there are news they have signed-up Chris Pacana who last played with the ABL's KL Westport Dragons.
          LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
          Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
            San Mig could afford to let go of Barroca as there are news they have signed-up Chris Pacana who last played with the ABL's KL Westport Dragons.
            And before the draft, coach Tim said in the news, that he would like to get a wing player type of a player - Vanlandingham might be the answer to his wish!
            Not only does God play dice, but sometimes he throws the dice where we can’t see them.

Comment

Ross is just like an upgraded Artadi...if only Barroca has played 20-30mins per game last season for Bmeg, I guess he'll playing for ROY honor.
              what i noticed about ross..he can be a complete player if he shoots his jumpshots and 3 pointers...he is great on defense, rebounding and passing (assists) if he can just get those shots far away from the basket he will be star trust me.. just saying my inputs..

Comment

• Originally posted by Huwebes View Post
                what i noticed about ross..he can be a complete player if he shoots his jumpshots and 3 pointers...he is great on defense, rebounding and passing (assists) if he can just get those shots far away from the basket he will be star trust me.. just saying my inputs..
                Topex, Artadi and Ross...all have the same qualities-- speedy, hustle, good on defense but lack of jumpshots and 3 pointers plus low in FT %!

Comment

• Originally posted by drhouse View Post
                  The really tragic part is that extremely few know to start up a good business to make the good pay during their first five years useful. They wanted to look like stars with star SUVs and condos, and the eventual career failure from having champagne tastes on a beer budget really hurt afterwards. This is the Philippines, and superstar salaries here are worth less than ten percent of superstars in the NBA.
                  This could be likened to superstar boxers like Tyson who have such lavish lifestyles and astronomic cost of living that they never think that their income generating capabilities would diminish very soon. That's why you can see boxers fighting way beyond their shelf life.
                  Not all PBA players but some, can be attributed to lack of foresight about how their income is tied to their athletic ability and skills that is at risk every time they play in the court (like Eugene Tejada). I am not sure if PBA or PBA Players union have a program like the NBA where rookies are taught how to handle their finances and on and off court demeanor to prepare for the future. The program ideally should be available on an ongoing basis to all players not only rookies.

At the end of the day, PBA is entertainment and a business. If you are barely contributing or worse glued to the bench when you're age is mid 30ish and have a big salary, chances are your ROI to your team is very low and you can consider your job at risk and should not be surprised if you team managers make "barat" your salary. They are just doing their job and sad to say, they are not charitable institutions.
                  Last edited by pinoybug; 09-03-2012, 03:02 PM.
                  See things not as they are but as what they could be

Comment

• Although I love Asi to death for being so unselfish and being a true Filipino as shown by his enthusiasm to play for the national team even though he is way beyond his years and he is aching all over. I know he deserves a graceful exit and that is all I pray for him. I hope they find a win win situation.
                    See things not as they are but as what they could be

Comment

• Originally posted by CoJ View Post
                      but I don't see the ABL shelling out that much money for a aging veteran (the ABL is not that lucrative to begin with right?), same with the CBA, come to think of it, if you're a CBA team with funds at your disposal, I would rather spend it on a NBA cast-off than Eric Menk or Asi Taulava

Sad to say, the PBA teams have the upper hand in negotiations,
                      Well unlike Marcus Douthit, Asi Taulava is being considered to play as a "Asian Import", the same classification when Zaid and Islam Abbas and Sam Daghlas, Michael Madanly of Syria, Lee Hsueh-lin, Lin Chih-chieh and Chen Shin-an of Chinese-Taipei, etc played at the CBA.

In the CBA, the bottom 5 teams are allowed to sign-up one Asian Import in addition to the normal 2 Foreign Imports per team.

Naturalized players' Marcus Douthit of the Philippines and Jackson Vroman of Lebanon are not considered for the "Asian Import" classification. Matt Frieje who also used to play at the CBA as a Foreign Import is also not considered by the CBA authorities as "Asian".

Sheryl Reyes who represents both Asi and Eric Menk is actually scheduled for a trip to Mainland China.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                      THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

And before the draft, coach Tim said in the news, that he would like to get a wing player type of a player - Vanlandingham might be the answer to his wish!
                        Val Acuna failed to live-up to the expectations as a the next great outside shooter out of UE.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                        THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

from a basketball insider perspective,

the problem why Chris Ross is being shopped around is not with regards to his talent its more to him not being able to connect with the ordinary "masang" basketball fan.

in the end this is still business.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                          THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
                            from a basketball insider perspective,

the problem why Chris Ross is being shopped around is not with regards to his talent its more to him not being able to connect with the ordinary "masang" basketball fan.

in the end this is still business.
                            well said sir unlike barroca who on the first look parang player lang nA nkikita mo sa mga baranggay court... he he he if you know what i mean...

Comment

• Originally posted by pinoybug View Post
                              This could be likened to superstar boxers like Tyson who have such lavish lifestyles and astronomic cost of living that they never think that their income generating capabilities would diminish very soon. That's why you can see boxers fighting way beyond their shelf life.
                              Not all PBA players but some, can be attributed to lack of foresight about how their income is tied to their athletic ability and skills that is at risk every time they play in the court (like Eugene Tejada). I am not sure if PBA or PBA Players union have a program like the NBA where rookies are taught how to handle their finances and on and off court demeanor to prepare for the future. The program ideally should be available on an ongoing basis to all players not only rookies.

At the end of the day, PBA is entertainment and a business. If you are barely contributing or worse glued to the bench when you're age is mid 30ish and have a big salary, chances are your ROI to your team is very low and you can consider your job at risk and should not be surprised if you team managers make "barat" your salary. They are just doing their job and sad to say, they are not charitable institutions.
                              Before the PBA has such a program wherein the rookie draftees were supposed to attend seminars. I remember one good seminar was conducted by the wife of Danny Ildefonso who shared how she was able to save the earnings out of Danny's basketball contract and invest it in buying a number of Condominium Units. Those units are rented-out to foreign imports and newly arrived Fil-foreign players, but instead of the players the Ildefonsos only deal directly to the PBA Team which pays the lease for the corresponding player. However the young players are disinterested in attending said seminars and that would have PBA renting Hotel Conference Rooms that's empty except for the speaker which they have paid, so the PBA stop doing said activity.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                              THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

well said sir unlike barroca who on the first look parang player lang nA nkikita mo sa mga baranggay court... he he he if you know what i mean...
                                But Mark Barroca has more fans than Chris Ross had when he was still with the Purefoods franchise. Don't let the looks fool you but Mark has his own Fans Club within the BMeg Planet they even treat his wife, Russel Alinea like a Queen.

I want to tell you I am not amused with your comments, as those are uncalled for insults about the player. I want you to know a lot of the players are close friends of mine. I do not like you demeaning any player and making it look like a joke.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information