Jun 29 Czech Republic 53 Japan 47
    Jun 29 Turkey 72 Argentina 58
    Jun 29 France 80 South Korea 63

5th to 8th Place

Jun 30 Japan 79 South Korea 51
    Jun 30 Canada 58 Argentina 41

5th to 6th Place

Jul 1 Canada 71 Japan 63
    Last edited by Kings; 07-09-2012, 03:27 AM.

Originally posted by Kings View Post

FIBA Africa:Tunisia and Nigeria
    Perhaps a little premature here.

40-29 Tunisia at the moment...

edit: Definitely premature. Tunisia is your new champion of Africa, and Angola is off to this tournament.
    Last edited by Dtown; 08-28-2011, 05:11 PM.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
      Perhaps a little premature here.

40-29 Tunisia at the moment...

edit: Definitely premature. Tunisia is your new champion of Africa, and Angola is off to this tournament.
      lololol.

Angola got a tough road now...theyre going to have to beat at least 1 or 2 solid American and Euro sides to make it.
      My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
      1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
      1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
      1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
      1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
      1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
      1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
      1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

I like the fact that a new team (from Africa) actually made it to the Olympics.

Comment

It's a long shot, but I hope that the Philippines makes it this year. It will be very difficult since only one slot is guaranteed for the Fiba Asia Champions, then only 2 slots for the #2 & 3 on the qualifying tournament. They should change slot allocations in the future. The mere size of Asia, the # of teams plus the fact that Asian teams have made noticeable improvements in recent years should earn us more slots in the world stage.

China may have dominated the Asian basketball scene for a long time but this is no longer the case. Other Asian teams are competitive at almost the same level and can dethrone China anytime. The list includes: Iran, South Korea, Lebanon, Philippines, Jordan, Qatar, Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by 2log View Post
            They should change slot allocations in the future. The mere size of Asia, the # of teams plus the fact that Asian teams have made noticeable improvements in recent years should earn us more slots in the world stage.
            How come is that? Asian teams won only 3 games outta 20 in last WC (2 against African teams, 1 vs Canada), where lot of teams of Europe or Americas even played without their key players...
            In 2008 Olympics Iran lost all games heavily, only China managed to grab 2 wins with Yao and home crowd. In additional qualifiers before Olympics Asian teams lost all 4 games, few of them huuuge.

Somehow I miss that improvement We'll see how your teams will do in next year's qualifiers, if any of them will manage to qualify - it'll be a decent prove, but so far, sorry, you get what you've deserved

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
              How come is that? Asian teams won only 3 games outta 20 in last WC (2 against African teams, 1 vs Canada), where lot of teams of Europe or Americas even played without their key players...
              In 2008 Olympics Iran lost all games heavily, only China managed to grab 2 wins with Yao and home crowd. In additional qualifiers before Olympics Asian teams lost all 4 games, few of them huuuge.

Somehow I miss that improvement We'll see how your teams will do in next year's qualifiers, if any of them will manage to qualify - it'll be a decent prove, but so far, sorry, you get what you've deserved
              I meant not to take any slots away from other continental groupings but to at least increase the slot to 2 for the top finishers of FIBA Asia Championships. Europe deserves the # of slots and wild card it gets for the WC and Olympics as it is the most competitive zone. The Americas aside from USA has about 2 or 3 teams that can vie for the top spot but is not as competitive as EuroBasket.

Asia has seen a boost for basketball in the past decade as before, China and maybe South Korea dominate the rest of the field, but now, there are at least 5 more teams that can seriously contend for the top spot. It may not be as big as an improvement to compete toe to toe with the top Euro teams but if you follow Asian basketball, you'll notice the big change. Giving us more chances to play on the world stage against better opponents would further help that development and growth of the sport in the biggest and most populated region. Allowing only 1 guaranteed slot from the Asian Championships and 2 for the qualifying tournament doesn't help.

Comment

Venezuela is a win away from getting here. Today they play Uruguay.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2log View Post
                  I meant not to take any slots away from other continental groupings but to at least increase the slot to 2 for the top finishers of FIBA Asia Championships. Europe deserves the # of slots and wild card it gets for the WC and Olympics as it is the most competitive zone. The Americas aside from USA has about 2 or 3 teams that can vie for the top spot but is not as competitive as EuroBasket.

Asia has seen a boost for basketball in the past decade as before, China and maybe South Korea dominate the rest of the field, but now, there are at least 5 more teams that can seriously contend for the top spot. It may not be as big as an improvement to compete toe to toe with the top Euro teams but if you follow Asian basketball, you'll notice the big change. Giving us more chances to play on the world stage against better opponents would further help that development and growth of the sport in the biggest and most populated region. Allowing only 1 guaranteed slot from the Asian Championships and 2 for the qualifying tournament doesn't help.
                  You see, there's no place for more. Europe gets only 2 direct places in Olympics, so 1 for Asia is all you can expect.
                  Btw, regarding groin' bball in continent, well it probably grown a bit throughout decade, you should know it better of course, but personally, I'm not sure if it's because China looks waaay worse without Yao or some other countries really made a step forward, hopefully they did, would like to see your continent more competitive on international scene

Comment

Venezuela is in...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                      You see, there's no place for more. Europe gets only 2 direct places in Olympics, so 1 for Asia is all you can expect.
                      Btw, regarding groin' bball in continent, well it probably grown a bit throughout decade, you should know it better of course, but personally, I'm not sure if it's because China looks waaay worse without Yao or some other countries really made a step forward, hopefully they did, would like to see your continent more competitive on international scene
                      Well, I do understand that. It's more of a wishful thinking. We only have 1 guaranteed slot. But the sad thing is we only have 2 more for the qualifying tournament. If we do not qualify directly I hope we get to the qualifying tournament. Basketball has improved a lot specially for the middle eastern teams, a lot of countries have step up as medal contenders. Well, it probably helped that China has weakened recently (or if that's what their leading others to believe, we'll know next week in the Asian Championships).

Comment

Re:

Any ideas on where the games will be played?

Comment

I read at the top Republic Puerto Rico, that will be awesome, I hope someday that becomes true.

Comment

Originally posted by Quylac View Post
                            Any ideas on where the games will be played?
                            Candidates so far: Venezuela, Puerto-Rico and Lithuania. I guess France, Russia or Spain will join also if they'll fail to qualify directly, don't know how is situation with venues in Macedonia. Greece shouldn't get it 2nd time in a row.
                            The main issue for us might be money, as it was told - Greece paid 3mln euros 4 years ago for the rights to organize the event.
                            However, probably this time it will be in Americas, but I still have a small hope

Comment

I hope Puerto Rico gets it in the interest of fairness, and they put on an a very entertaining FIBA Americas a couple years ago.
                              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information