Greek A1 2011-12 news and scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek A1 2011-12 news and scores

Its all over the media here that Oly and Pao both applied to play in NLB league in "near future"....

Would Greek federation allow it.. what would other Greek clubs say?

Originally posted by Cibos View Post
    Its all over the media here that Oly and Pao both applied to play in NLB league in "near future"....

Would Greek federation allow it.. what would other Greek clubs say?
    http://www.sport24.gr/Basket/EuropeB...s.1180536.html
    In this article it is said that the Adriatic league has been pressing the two teams to participate next year.

The Greek administration has been promoting last year the idea of a "Mediterranean league", so I assume that they wouldn't be too thrilled with the 2 major players playing in another league. However, this mediterranean league is just an idea for the moment and if I were Pao or Oly, I would go for something tangible that involves more competition and gate receipts/sponsors...

Comment

Why compete in a league that is largely filled with no-name teams? Obviously, so that the League and its clubs make money off two big European teams.

Both teams should stick with the majors (Euroleague)

Comment

Originally posted by Kalashnikov View Post
        http://www.sport24.gr/Basket/EuropeB...s.1180536.html
        In this article it is said that the Adriatic league has been pressing the two teams to participate next year.
        It's been reported here that the league was approached by your clubs. EFES also expressed desire to participate so we might even have something close to the full blown Med league one day. All Balkans league would be ace.

Originally posted by plato-ny View Post
        Why compete in a league that is largely filled with no-name teams? Obviously, so that the League and its clubs make money off two big European teams.

Both teams should stick with the majors (Euroleague)
        NLB is based as domestic league. They'd play it instead of Greek league and together with Euroleague.

Partizan, Cibona, Maccabi, Olimpija etc.. all no name teams? Apart from Oly and PAO no one from Greek league would be even close to the top. PAOK and Aris would at best be midtable.

I think that only viable option for entire region (Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Israel..) is full season of such "super" domestic league. Our domestic markets are simply too small to support such clubs (title aspirations) on long term basis. Wouldn't you rather see Euroleague team EVERY week than i don't know.. Iraklis, Panellinios, Ikaros?

Comment

what Olympiacos and Pao would earn if joining adriatic is 4 more competitive games a season against Partizan and maybe Olympia.They'd steamroll over the likes of Sirokee,KK Zagreb,Cibona,Buducnoct just like they steamroll over the rest greek teams(not taking into consideration the budget cuts,that would close the gap between them and the rest,but this also applies to the greek league.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
            what Olympiacos and Pao would earn if joining adriatic is 4 more competitive games a season against Partizan and maybe Olympia.They'd steamroll over the likes of Sirokee,KK Zagreb,Cibona,Buducnoct just like they steamroll over the rest greek teams(not taking into consideration the budget cuts,that would close the gap between them and the rest,but this also applies to the greek league.)
            Cedevita would easily finish behind Oly and Pao in Greek league.. they were third in Eurocup last season and they are pumping lots of cash into the club.

Games against Partizan, Olimpija, Cedevita, Maccabi are 8 more good games than what you have in your league now.

You really think that Oly and PAO will be able to continue to be competative on European level with the level of money that Greek league generates?

Such leagues are the future of Euro basketball.. regardless of if we want it or not.

Comment

Panelinios was 4th in eurocup in 2009-10 season and did not win a single game against them in 7 tries during the same season.Maccabi is playing on a wild card,we'll see if they continue in the future.Adriatic league is stronger but not by much

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                Panelinios was 4th in eurocup in 2009-10 season and did not win a single game against them in 7 tries during the same season.Maccabi is playing on a wild card,we'll see if they continue in the future.Adriatic league is stronger but not by much
                Not wild card.. they signed long term contract.

Anyway.. it doesn't need to be Adriatic League.. it can be some newly formed league as well... i just for the financial sake of clubs from the region to bring all this to even higher level. Dunno in which way are Greek fans thinking, but i think that you guys aren't happy with the current situation either.

Comment

Maybe instead of the Mediterranean League, maybe they are just trying to turn the Adriatic into it. Instead of making a whole new league, maybe they will just enlarge the Adriatic. It makes more sense financially and logistically.

Adriatic League, becomes full eastern Mediterranean League. You already have the same basic teams involved, that were supposed to be trying for the Med league, except the Mideast clubs. But doing the league with just European side clubs (and Israel) makes more sense.

I mean you had Cyprus league champs, Akademik, Efes, Panellinios, Aris, PAOK, Galatsaray, Besiktas, Fener, Olympiacos, PAO, Partizan, Hapoel Jerusalem, and Maccabi - these were all the clubs that were rumored to be interested in the Med league.

So, maybe just expanding the Adriatic is what they finally decided on.

ex Yugoslav states

1. Olimpija
                  2. Partizan
                  3. Krka
                  4. Cedevita
                  5. Zagreb
                  6. Cibona
                  7. Split
                  8. Budocnost
                  9. Hemofarm
                  10. Red Star
                  11. Zadar
                  12. Igokea
                  13. Radnicki
                  14. Siroki

Greece

15. Panathinaikos
                  16. Olympiacos
                  17. Aris
                  18. PAOK
                  19. Panellinios

Turkey

20. Galatasaray
                  21. Besiktas
                  22. Efes
                  23. Fenerbahce

Israel

24. Maccabi
                  25. Hapoel Jerusalem

Bulgaria

26. Akademik

Czech Republic

27. CEZ Nymburk

Cyprus

28. league champs

I can see something like this being feasible. 14 Adriatic clubs, plus the 14 others from the rumored Med league, clubs from Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Israel, Turkey, and throw in Nymburk.

It makes sense. You could divide up into two separate divisions of 14 teams each. By each year you could rotate teams within the divisions, so as to have all the big clubs getting to play each other.

With home and home that would be a 26 game schedule. Then you could take the top 2 clubs from each division and go to a final four or something like that. It's like a 26-28 game season.

With a 26-28 game season in Adriatic (or maybe this would be the rumored Med league).........all the teams could still play in their domestic cups and even if they wanted to, they could drop into the playoffs of their domestic leagues.

I know the Israeli league said they would not do this, but let's get real here, after a couple seasons without Maccabi they will agree to it. You could have PAO and Olympiacos just start the Greek League at the semifinals for example, like how Partizan already does in the Serbian League.

It is very doable. It would be basically like an eastern Euroleague. Personally, I would love if something like this happened. This seems doable fairly quickly, if PAO and Olympiacos join. If they want to make it all work, they can, as I said, just change the name from Adriatic Basketball Association, to Mediterranean Basketball Association.

Comment

Originally posted by Cibos View Post
                    Partizan, Cibona, Maccabi, Olimpija etc.. all no name teams? Apart from Oly and PAO no one from Greek league would be even close to the top. PAOK and Aris would at best be midtable.

I think that only viable option for entire region (Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Israel..) is full season of such "super" domestic league. Our domestic markets are simply too small to support such clubs (title aspirations) on long term basis. Wouldn't you rather see Euroleague team EVERY week than i don't know.. Iraklis, Panellinios, Ikaros?
                    For starters, Israel should not be part of Adriatic League for geographic reasons.

Except for Partizan and Olympija, how many teams in the Adriatic League have made the Euroleague Final Four in the past 13 years. Zero. Oly and Pao have been regular Final Four and Final participants in the last 17 years.

The other Greek teams outside of Oly and Pao have not been strong in recent years but the topic was about whether or not those 2 should join the Adriatic League and not the other Greek teams. Also, teams like Paok and Aris have had better Euro runs than most Adriatic League teams in recent years.

Comment

is there any site with rosters for greek teams? thx lot

Comment

Where cand I find a 2011/12 Esake Schedule??

Comment

The National Committee for Professional Sports has given a certificate to participate in the next championship only to Panathinaikos, Aris, Ikaros and Rethumno.

The rest either didn't "have time" to submit their envelopes or their envelopes were not complete.

Comment

I know this isnt right thread but, do you have photos of Sofo's wedding? Heard he got married last night but I couldnt find photos on the net.

Maccabi Tel Aviv

EUROLEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS - 1977 & 1981 & 2001 & 2004 & 2005 & 2014
                            Intercontinental Cup - 1980
                            Adriatic League Championship - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by [M-120] View Post
                              I know this isnt right thread but, do you have photos of Sofo's wedding? Heard he got married last night but I couldnt find photos on the net.
                              OT:

Congrats Sofo!

What I would like to see are pics of the buffet and what Sofo had to eat

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information