Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3rd ASEAN Basketball League Season 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    i have no doubts that the quality of basketball will improve. By 2050 maybe?

Come on now, how many games will say the Philippine Patriots win over Air 21, practically the worst team in the league, in 10 games? (The college team Ateneo San Beda was an exaggeration, maybe it's a toss up considering there are 2 imports)
    Well, if you ask me, four or five; even six. The only way to find out empirically is to actually let them play (or a computer simulation might suffice). What really kicks me is that FIBA Asia will send the ABL champ automatically to the Champions Cup when there is a stronger league in SEA. The playoff might determine who the best team in SEA is, same as the WABL does for West Asia. Big clubs like Al-Riyadi, Mahram, etc. play in both the WABL and in their domestic leagues. The Champions Cup is a great opportunity for the PBA to expose its players to a different level and style of competition. It begs the question - given that the talent gap between the ABL and the PBA is HUGE, are PBA ballclubs averse to playing official title games outside of the PBA (don't they have continental ambitions)? You might know the answer hehehe.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by mangangalakal View Post
    Well, if you ask me, four or five; even six. The only way to find out empirically is to actually let them play (or a computer simulation might suffice). What really kicks me is that FIBA Asia will send the ABL champ automatically to the Champions Cup when there is a stronger league in SEA. The playoff might determine who the best team in SEA is, same as the WABL does for West Asia. Big clubs like Al-Riyadi, Mahram, etc. play in both the WABL and in their domestic leagues. The Champions Cup is a great opportunity for the PBA to expose its players to a different level and style of competition. It begs the question - given that the talent gap between the ABL and the PBA is HUGE, are PBA ballclubs averse to playing official title games outside of the PBA (don't they have continental ambitions)? You might know the answer hehehe.
    "What's in it for me?" that probably is PBA's thinking. Profit goes to where? For smaller leagues this builds prestige. But to a point (and to a fault) the PBA doesn't need that anymore because they are selling anyway.

i am with you, i want the best ball clubs go against each others throats. But at the end of the day, it's all about the ca$h
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Asia should have a league for the best teams like in Europe they have the EL and Europa Cup.

check out this week's edition of Sports Illustrated Magazine, the fledgling basketball league got a little "airtime" or "papertime" when they profile Kobe's dad. Bangkok Cobra's coach Joe "Jellybean" Bryant. They have some choice words for Bangkok too :-)

Warriors Strengthen Squad With New Local Players

The Indonesia Warriors strengthened their squad for the upcoming playoffs this week with the inclusion of two local players, Arki Dikania Wisnu and Christian Ronaldo Sitepu.

According to the league’s rules under “Entries”, while the transfer deadline for their imports is before the teams play their 16th game of the season, teams who have registered only seven to nine local players in their 16-man roster for the season will be allowed to register a maximum of two additional local players before the last game of the regular season which, in the Warriors case, is this Sunday’s match against the JobStreet.com Singapore Slingers at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Both Arki and Dodo (Sitepu) are familiar faces in the Indonesian basketball scene as they both are both part of the NBL Indonesia Satria Muda team which has recently won the championship. Arki averaged 13.8 points per game in the NBL season and won two awards, Rookie of The Year and Sixth Man of the Year.The 6'2'' guard also has experience playing in The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) division III with Baruch College.

Dodo is a promising young player and has the biggest upside of any players in Indonesia. The 6’8’’ forward can help Warriors in rebounding the ball and he’s also a great defender. Dodo is part of the Indonesia National Team in the 2011 South East Asian Game. Dodo had a break-out performance in the 26th FIBA Asia Championship at Wuhan, China, where he was the leading scorer of the Indonesia National team with 14 points per game.

“Dodo will provide defense and rebounding, Arki gives us shooting and additional ball handling” Said Warriors' Head Coach Todd Purves.

Their inclusion in the squad will be a major lift to the Warriors, who will have to face either the San Miguel Beermen or the AirAsia Philippine Patriots in the playoffs.

sitepu and wisnu were invisible in game 1, only 2 pts combined. Pringle is the heart of IW right now. becuase of Patriots' thin frontline Thomas and Pringle are having their way inside. Miller should shoot better in game 2.
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
    -Margaret Mead

Sitepu is my senior in Junior High..

i hope a Cebu (Philippines) based team would enter the league soon,
    anyway, im new in this forum so bear with me,

I'm wondering why there's no talk about ABL in this forum lately. There are so many interesting things happened. We are now at game 3 of the Finals. There will be a new ABL champion!

Its do or die on saturday

indonesia vs san miguel beermen

go go go go smb!

Indonesia Warriors wins, congratulations. A Filipino team loses again in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by makotosing View Post
    Slingers Sign 16 Year Old "Wonderkid" Delvin Goh to a seven-month contract...
    Saw him play at the FIBA/NBA Asia BWB Camp and was somewhat impressed. He also seems to be putting up good all-around #'s in the ongoing SE Asia U16 championship. Definitely a big prospect for Singapore.
    aim low, score high

Filipino players and imports are responsible to win for Indonesia Warriors.
    ================================================== =========================================

Great season opener for San Miguel beermen beating former champion Indonesia Warriors 64-53

also Slingers beating Slammers 56-50
    NEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234