No announcement yet.

2012 PBA Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Tiu is a smart guy, he already knew what he is entering to. The question is, who gave the "promise" to him....

you will not see this guy making holes in some pba teams bench LOL
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
      Chris Tiu is a smart guy, he already knew what he is entering to. The question is, who gave the "promise" to him....
      noli eala? SMC has 5 picks in the 1st round...

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Ticket View Post
        noli eala? SMC has 5 picks in the 1st round...
        Meralco has a card upon their sleeves.. Fajardo Abueva and Hodge are locked in 1,2,3 before Tiu came

Comment

• but who would want to invest in a player who will be in it just for 2 years?

i wonder how his contract going to be...
          You've got to have it to win it

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
            Chris Tiu is a smart guy, he already knew what he is entering to. The question is, who gave the "promise" to him....

you will not see this guy making holes in some pba teams bench LOL
            of course not, he indeed can play..question is, is he worth a first round pick in a deep draft?

Comment

• yep because he had a conference or two in the pba already..and yes he has that base...

Come on mamon the elite teams already are loaded with players.. you don't expect the others to join the mix soon in this draft

and with these draft we called so deep mistakes maybe will have not much on impact between the mid rounds.. no one would pick dave marcelo in the first round..LOL

Comment

• Chris Tiu will certainly go to Meralco.
                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• First an admission of mistake: i was wrong to call Tiu a person/player who isn't competitive enough. With this decision, that perspective changes a lot. So despite the challenges of juggling business and showbiz, he decides to add pro basketball to the mix; despite the fact that he won't even need a PBA max contract/rookie contract to survive he decides to apply for the draft, and, this i feel is the most important, despite the unpredictability of his "future" in the PBA (meaning where he gets consistent minutes, with a heavily defined role), he decides to go on with it and throw his name into the hat. All of which are signs that point to a rather passionate (as per the interviews too) and competitive athlete. Excited to see him play finally in the pro league.

As mentioned by many already, Tiu's value is more than basketball so teams will have to take that into consideration-- however, for basketball reasons and relative to the depth of this draft, Tiu's true basketball value could be lower than his actual pick. If we consider skills only, i feel he deserves to be in the first round but NOT earlier than the 5th pick. That said let's take a look at the teams that COULD possibly use him (both for basketball reasons and otherwise):

1. PETRON BLAZE BOOSTERS - Fajardo
                  No way Tiu gets drafted this high since the projected #1 pick is a 7 footer. You don't pass up on this kind of talent. At all. (If somehow my San Miguel botches this pick, i am going to shift allegiance to the Air 21 Express...)

2. ALASKA ACES -
                  With Trillo at the helm, i can't discount the possibility that they are going to do something stupid (something like drafting Tiu this early) but common sense says they have to pick the BPA here... and BPA is not Tiu.

3. PETRON BLAZE BOOSTERS
                  This is where it gets interesting. Since SMB got the their prospect already why not throw a curveball and draft Tiu here? They could draft him then trade him to GIN or BMEG in the future? Maybe even hold on to Tiu if Toroman gets the head coach stint? Get Tiu for future NT reasons since Toroman will be there if it happens?

4. MERALCO BOLTS - As mentioned by reamilly, probably the luckier team with the Tiu decision. If one of the first three teams get Tiu, then Abueva/Ellis/Hodge will be available. If they want Tiu at this spot it wouldn't be too bad since they need some sort of stability in the Meralco backcourt-- plus of course, this team direly needs a face for their franchise.

Perfect for MVP too: The Younghusbands playing for Meralco in the local football league and now, Chris Tiu playing for Meralco in basketball.

How's that as your endorsers for a much-maligned product.

5. BARAKO BULL ENERGY - Say, 1-2-3-4 goes BPA, how would Tiu feel going to a franchise without much direction? Though on-court, he's definitely going to be used because of the ageing backcourt... Will the Tiu fans actually support/watch Barako games though?

6. BRGY. GINEBRA SAN MIGUEL - Cortez/Caguioa/Helterbrand are all old. Tiu would fit in nicely methinks because of they need a bit of youth. The popularity of Ginebra combined with the brand of Tiu could be an explosive mix as well...

7. RAIN OR SHINE ELASTOPAINTERS - Tiu with Yeng Guiao? He'll most likely replace Tang in the rotation; maybe cut into Arana's minutes. Sliding from PG/SG at 6 feet (5'11") would be Yeng's style too.

9. BMEG LLAMADOS - Triangle needs high IQ players. Cone would want a Tiu type to replace any (or all!) of Barroca, Urbiztondo-- small sometimes inept PGs.

10. POWERADE TIGERS (from TALK n Text) - Why not. It's a "new" franchise. Reunion with Casio too...
                  If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• i get it now, tiu=tebow...

Comment

• The Chris Tiu story is bannered all over today. Interesting especially coming from an extremely popular guy who potentially may be the face of the PBA after James Yap.

Here's the thing - there's no way Tiu would have gone into the draft if he wouldn't be drafted high. To be blunt, he already found a team for himself and has negotiated for his drafting. That means either Petron or Meralco would get him. Petron, of course, would secure his services at #3 while Meralco won't pass up on him at #4 if he's still available.

My best guess is that Tiu will go to the Blaze Boosters. Tiu's relationship with Toroman is like a father-son thing, and I can't see any personality in the PBA who has influence on Tiu other than Toro. And if Toro will handle PBB next season, then the timing is just perfect. On the other hand, if I speculated wrongly and PBB ends up getting someone else, expect the Bolts to get him. Tiu also has an outstanding relationship with MVP and it would be ideal to see him play for the businessman in the same way that he played for him at Ateneo and SMART-Gilas.

Hence, I can't see Tiu dropping down at #5 in the draft. He'll be at #3 or #4.

Comment

• Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
                        i get it now, tiu=tebow...
                        That's an unfair comparison to Tiu. Tebow's talent as a quarterback does NOT equate to Tiu's skill as a basketballl guard. Tiu actually is very effective compared to Tebow who will not last in the NFL because of his weaknesses. It's just that this draft is very, very deep.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                          The Chris Tiu story is bannered all over today. Interesting especially coming from an extremely popular guy who potentially may be the face of the PBA after James Yap.

Here's the thing - there's no way Tiu would have gone into the draft if he wouldn't be drafted high. To be blunt, he already found a team for himself and has negotiated for his drafting. That means either Petron or Meralco would get him. Petron, of course, would secure his services at #3 while Meralco won't pass up on him at #4 if he's still available.

My best guess is that Tiu will go to the Blaze Boosters. Tiu's relationship with Toroman is like a father-son thing, and I can't see any personality in the PBA who has influence on Tiu other than Toro. And if Toro will handle PBB next season, then the timing is just perfect. On the other hand, if I speculated wrongly and PBB ends up getting someone else, expect the Bolts to get him. Tiu also has an outstanding relationship with MVP and it would be ideal to see him play for the businessman in the same way that he played for him at Ateneo and SMART-Gilas.

Hence, I can't see Tiu dropping down at #5 in the draft. He'll be at #3 or #4.
                          Which also means the teams picking below them would have to thank Tiu for declaring because it gave them a good problem to have-- quality players just got bumped.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Originally posted by lovejones View Post
                            how can fajardo apply for the draft when he hasn't played a single d league game in his life? as per existing rules, a prospective pba player must play in the d-league first.

furthermore, junmar obviously can't take the jv casio, lassiter, lutz, baracael route of foregoing the d-league and joing the pba right away because he hasn't played for the national team. the abl is not a national team stint because it is a commercial league.

good luck with that eala. with the way you neatly handled smc's participation in the national team pool, i can see the mvp bloc exhausting all means to block his entry.

what goes around, comes around
                            junmar fajardo is eligible to the PBA draft because he is not a fil-am or fil-foreigner who is required to play in the d-league, i think, for 2 years to become eligible in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                              Which also means the teams picking below them would have to thank Tiu for declaring because it gave them a good problem to have-- quality players just got bumped.
                              Thats what i'm hoping for....

Comment

• my mock draft 1.0

1. Petron - Junemar Fajardo. no doubt he'll be the number 1 pick over all. SMB ABL did good job on fajardo at ABL. he can provide inside presence that PBB miss. They don't have post offense, with addition of fajardo will help it.

2. Alaska - Cliff Hodge. a workhorse. can provide anything. need another help for thoss at front court. Baracael will slide at 3 and make Espinas a back up at 4. Alaska is loaded at guard position so with this pick can upgrade the front court.

3. Petron - Aldrich Ramos. will certainly trade this player within SMC probably with B-Meg, additional big man for B-meg side or with rumor danny seigle's return to Petron might shift Ramos to barako bull side via trade.

4. Meralco - Chris Tiu. Can provide steady presence at PG. they need a leadership at back court. Meralco needs a PG that can set plays for his team. Mercado can slide to SG. he'll be more suitable at 2 spot. he's a tweener guard. Ross will be relegated to off the bench role to provide energy coming off the bench.

5. Barako Bull Energy - Calvin Abueva. well as we see in NCAA, abueva can do it all in terms of rebounding, scoring and dishing assist. Coach baculi is tough minded coach. IMO perfect coach to coach abueva. With Seigle's possible return to PBB and possible addition Ramos to BBE, can certainly help BEE franchise next season/

6. BGK - Chris Ellis. when i see Chris Ellis is like the upgraded version of arwind santos with better ball handling. can play SF/PF for BGK. with the possible retirement of Menk, they need a young big man at their team. With this pick, the frontcourt of Maierhoffer and ellis will provide problems to other teams. They Have veterans Bigs like mamaril, kerby and hatfield to help them. It will be exciting to watch BGK next season.

7. Rain Or Shine - Dave marcelo. As evident in game 5 when beau belga thrown out they don't have replacement for him. With Addition of Marcelo will certainly help it. Can provide Toughness and heft at front. He's perfect 4-5 man for coach yeng.

8. BGK - Yousef Taha. Exclamation point! BGK needs to get young at front court. with this addition, Taha is perfect investment. Can provide post presence that only Kerby provides at times. with addition of Taha it will add another threat at post game for BGK.

9. B-Meg - Vic Manuel. Scoring Machine in D-League/PBL. he's former MVP for nothing. can provide scoring at 3 spot for B-meg side. He'll share the 3 spot with Intal. Manuel will add depth at scoring for B-Meg side.

10. Global Sports Batang Pier - Kelly Nabong. Can provide inside presence for this team. he can provide scoring, rebound and on defensive side. can certrainly help alongside with Al-Hussaini at frontcourt.

2nd round

11. Air 21 Express - JR Buensuceso. with coach pumaren's system, JR is perfect fit. They need an impact player on their team. JR can certainly provide that. It makes air21's game faster with his addition.

12. Alaska Aces - Jason Deutchman. a good back up for Sonny Thoss.

13. Barako Bull Energy - Alex Mallari. An upgraded version of Gabe Norwood. Fierce. alongside with potential draftee Abueva and Ramos, BEE will be tough to beat.

14. Meralco Bolts - Ronald Pascual. A shooter. Meralco needs one more shooter and Pascual can provide that. Can provide scoring as well off the bench.

15. PBB - Trade this pick..

16. Global Sports Batang Pier - Keith Jensen. He'll be perfect partner for Sean Anthony. A good rebounder himself. Can score outside as well. it will be a good start for Romero Franchise with Jensen and Nabong.

17. Rain Or Shine - Mark Jeffries. good pick for ROS if they got this guy. he'e very coachable and he's aggressive. Added banger for ROS team.

18. BGK - AJ Mandani. Need another good back up to Cortez. JJ will soon announce his retirement anytime soon. He'll be a good pick

19. B-Meg - JR Cawaling. Former gilas main stay. good back up to james yap. he'll compete minutes to other good players on his position.

20. TNT - Jan Colina. Good replacement for Ali peek. Peek will soon announce retirement. Colina can take peek slot. Good back up to RDO or to Japeth Aguilar.
                                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information