Comparison NBA - Euroleague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuisBrosso View Post
    Is there a great difference between the NBA and the Euroleague? If we take the best 15 players of the Euroleague and we put them in the NBA, could they make it to the playoffs? For example, a team with:
    C: Nesterovic, Schortsanitis, Tomic
    PF: Lorbek, Batiste, Freeland
    SF: Mickeal, Siskauskas, San Emeterio
    SG: Navarro, Spanoulis, Diamantidis
    PG: Teodosic, Huertas, Rubio
    I think they could reach the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, but not in the Western Conference.
    What do you think?
    Greetings
    this team is way off the best in Europe, but with coach as Obradovic or Ivkovic they would win 50+ in both east or west
    Jugoplastika, Cibona or Partizan from late 80's would be amongst best ever teams even in the NBA

Comment

I don't know where to ask my question so I'll ask it here I am arguing with some folks , that there are some players who aren't playing in the Nba and are in the top 100 players in the world. They claim that all the current 100 top players play in Nba I say that there are some players who are in Europe and belong in this 100 best in the world(well at least Teodošič)and lock out doesn't count.Sorry for my English , thanks for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by andz View Post
        I don't know where to ask my question so I'll ask it here I am arguing with some folks , that there are some players who aren't playing in the Nba and are in the top 100 players in the world. They claim that all the current 100 top players play in Nba I say that there are some players who are in Europe and belong in this 100 best in the world(well at least Teodošič)and lock out doesn't count.Sorry for my English , thanks for the answers.
        lol typical NBA fanboys... NBA has the top 40 players imo. Then it get's really one dimensional and Europe has overall better players than most NBA guys till 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvertis4 View Post
          lol typical NBA fanboys... NBA has the top 40 players imo. Then it get's really one dimensional and Europe has overall better players than most NBA guys till 100.
          Oh yeah then how come Langdon and Baby Shaq can't even make the cut on an NBA team and they were top Euro players. I am sure there are a lot Euro players who can play in the NBA but few can make a difference and most are afterthoughts. Case in point, Childress was like all Euro league second team but with Phoenix Suns, he was barely playing with the 2nd team. If you do the math can you can tell me that after taking out the top 40 NBA players are you sure that top 60 players in Europe are better overall than the 41-100 players right now in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
            Oh yeah then how come Langdon and Baby Shaq can't even make the cut on an NBA team and they were top Euro players. I am sure there are a lot Euro players who can play in the NBA but few can make a difference and most are afterthoughts. Case in point, Childress was like all Euro league second team but with Phoenix Suns, he was barely playing with the 2nd team. If you do the math can you can tell me that after taking out the top 40 NBA players are you sure that top 60 players in Europe are better overall than the 41-100 players right now in the NBA.
            Childress was a bust in Europe and when he got back in the NBA he was much worse than he used to be, playing with the Hawks.

Comment

Originally posted by KWSN-Men View Post
              Childress was a bust in Europe and when he got back in the NBA he was much worse than he used to be, playing with the Hawks.
              Bust? SMH.

How can you be a bust when you average 15 points and 5 rebounds and named to all Euroleague 2nd Team. You can lie but stats can not.

Maybe he struggled in his first year trying to adapt to the system but putting up those numbers in a strong team in his 2nd season, that's far from a bust unless your expectation was he is Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
                If you do the math can you can tell me that after taking out the top 40 NBA players are you sure that top 60 players in Europe are better overall than the 41-100 players right now in the NBA.
                what math do I need to do? Name me 60 NBA players that are not top 40 quality that are heads & shoulders better than at least 35 players in Europe and I'll take what I said back.

Comment

what math do I need to do? Name me 60 NBA players that are not top 40 quality that are heads & shoulders better than at least 35 players in Europe and I'll take what I said back.
                  You're really changing your story. Before you were saying Euro players are "better" than 40-100, now you are backing up and only saying Euro players "aren't head and shoulders worse"

Going to back to your original claim, there are plenty of non-top 40 NBA players who aren't worse than Euroleague players e.g. Scola, Kirilenko, Batum, Gortat, Splitter, Fernandez, Krstic, M. Gasol, Gallinari, Deng, Noah, Bargnani, Ilyasova, Kaman, Pekovic, Dragic, just to name some players you might recognize.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkoMVP View Post
                    You're really changing your story. Before you were saying Euro players are "better" than 40-100, now you are backing up and only saying Euro players "aren't head and shoulders worse"

Going to back to your original claim, there are plenty of non-top 40 NBA players who aren't worse than Euroleague players e.g. Scola, Kirilenko, Batum, Gortat, Splitter, Fernandez, Krstic, M. Gasol, Gallinari, Deng, Noah, Bargnani, Ilyasova, Kaman, Pekovic, Dragic, just to name some players you might recognize.
                    I was gonna name some of them but you beat me to it.

Anyway here are some players that rank outside 100 that people here might be familiar with.

120. De Juan Blair . Plying in Euro right now . 23 points and 11 rebounds first game.

134. Thabo Sefolosha - last played at Biella average 12 points 7 rebounds 2 steals

139 Mehmet Okur -played at Efes average 12 points and 7 rebounds.

142 Rudy Fernandez - played at DKV Joventut averaged 21 points

148. Jose Calderon - played at Tau Viloria averaged 13 points 3 assist 1.5 steal

149 Gary Neal - played at Benetton Treviso averaged 19 points 4 reb 2.1 steal

150 Leandro Barbosa - average 16 points 3 Rebs in 2010 FIBA.

153 Hedo Turkolu -

154 Omer Asik

158. Omri Casspi

161. Boris Diaw

166. Mickael Pietrus

174. Andres Biedrins

174 Josh Childress - average 16 points 5 rebounds at Olympiakos. Named to All Euroleague 2nd team

183. Rodrigue Beaubois-

186 Beno Udrih

197. Andres Nociani

199. Linas Kleiza - Euroleague top scorer. Named to all Euroleague First Team.

200. Carlos Delfino

201. Goran Dragic

206. Jonas Jerebko

218. Zaza Pachulia

226. Tiago Splitter - ha been named to Euroleague team 3 times.

228. Marco Belinelli

235. Ersan Ilyasova

248. Pena Stojakovic

306. Timofey Mozgov

310. Krylo Fesenko

315. Vladimir Radmanovic

329. Carlos Arroyo

336. Ian Mahinmi

348. Kosta Koufos

361. Semih Erden

370. Franciso Elson

373. Johan Petro

395. Nikola Pekovic

414. Pops Mensah-Bonsu

416. Alex Ajinca

423. Sasha Pavlovic

Comment

Why does every damn thread about the NBA have to turn out into a NBA vs. Euroleague thread?

Anyway i agree. What separates the NBA with the Euroleague are the 2-3 top guys on most NBA teams. Players 4-9 are interchangeable with Euroleagues best players. Btw it is not me who thought that up, but Iseah Tomas. He said so in an interview. Players 10-14 are usually not good enough for the best European leagues. Ofcourse it depends on the situation the player is in. Some NBA player on one NBA team doesn't sniff the floor yet is good enough to be a contributer on another. Nobody will tell me that Splitter is not NBA starter material. Just like some Euro player is not good enough for one team but is an NBA talent. Ben Wallece comes to mind, when he played in Italy's second division.

Anyway IMO these are NBA players who have no counterpart in Europe:
                      Garnett, Kevin
                      Pierce, Paul
                      Rondo, Rajon* (not sure about this one though)
                      Williams, Deron* (although he is in Europe atm)
                      Anthony, Carmelo
                      Stoudemire, Amar'e
                      Iguodala, Andre* (am not sure)
                      Deng, Luol
                      Boozer, Carlos
                      Rose, Derrick
                      Jamison, Antawn
                      Granger, Danny
                      Bosh, Chris
                      James, LeBron
                      Wade, Dwyane
                      Arenas, Gilbert* (if he starts playing like Agent 9 again)
                      Howard, Dwight
                      Butler, Caron
                      Nowitzki, Dirk
                      Chandler, Tyson
                      Scola, Luis
                      Gasol, Marc
                      Gay, Rudy
                      Randolph, Zach
                      Okafor, Emeka
                      Paul, Chris
                      West, David
                      Duncan, Tim
                      Ginóbili, Manu
                      Parker, Tony
                      Beasley, Michael
                      Love, Kevin
                      Aldridge, LaMarcus
                      Roy, Brandon (only if he were Roy before the knee problems)
                      Wallace, Gerald
                      Durant, Kevin
                      Westbrook, Russell
                      Jefferson, Al
                      Kirilenko, Andrei
                      Millsap, Paul
                      Ellis, Monta
                      Gordon, Eric
                      Artest, Ron
                      Griffin, Blake
                      Bryant, Kobe
                      Bynum, Andrew
                      Gasol, Pau
                      Nash, Steve
                      Evans, Tyreke

OK so these are 50 players better then any player playing in Europe (as far as talent is concerned). But again, and this is the crucial part and i will put it in bold. Other players not mentioned (a few were simply forgotten ofc.) , the players who are 3rd-7th players on a given NBA team are good enough to be the go to guys on any or most Euroleague, Eurocup, ACB etc. team. They would be playing instead of guys like JCN, Langford, DD, McCalabb, FSE, Huertas, Teodosic etc. The players mentioned above however have no counterpart, and if they came over to play on Euroleague teams, the Euroleague would be a more talented and a beter league then the NBA.
                      My homage to The heroes:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFlzU14Ivs

Comment

Also i will give another example to make my point clearer:

If you put Kobe, Pau, Bynum and Pau on lets say Barca. And you have a team of:
                        Huertas
                        Kobe
                        Pete Mickael/Artes
                        Pau
                        Bynum
                        Lorbek
                        JCN
                        Vazquez
                        Perovic
                        N'Dong
                        Eidson
                        Ingles
                        Sada

Do you honestly believe that team is not better then:

Artest
                        Barnes
                        Pau
                        Bynum
                        Kobe
                        Fisher
                        Brown
                        Ebanks
                        Odom
                        Walotn

If you do you are simply deluded.

Another example

A team of

Wade
                        LeBron
                        Bosh
                        McCalebb
                        Anderen
                        Lavrinovic
                        Summers
                        Kaukenas
                        Zisis
                        Moss
                        Stonrook
                        etc.

VS.

The super 3 friends
                        and the rest of Miam's sorry ass supporting cast.

If you really believe that Miami of 2010/2011 season would win, you probablly haven't seen more then 3 Euroleague games.
                        My homage to The heroes:

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12 View Post
                          Anyway IMO these are NBA players who have no counterpart in Europe:
                          Garnett, Kevin
                          Pierce, Paul
                          Rondo, Rajon* (not sure about this one though)
                          Williams, Deron* (although he is in Europe atm)
                          Anthony, Carmelo
                          Stoudemire, Amar'e
                          Iguodala, Andre* (am not sure)
                          Deng, Luol
                          Boozer, Carlos
                          Rose, Derrick
                          Jamison, Antawn
                          Granger, Danny
                          Bosh, Chris
                          James, LeBron
                          Wade, Dwyane
                          Arenas, Gilbert* (if he starts playing like Agent 9 again)
                          Howard, Dwight
                          Butler, Caron
                          Nowitzki, Dirk
                          Chandler, Tyson
                          Scola, Luis
                          Gasol, Marc
                          Gay, Rudy
                          Randolph, Zach
                          Okafor, Emeka
                          Paul, Chris
                          West, David
                          Duncan, Tim
                          Ginóbili, Manu
                          Parker, Tony
                          Beasley, Michael
                          Love, Kevin
                          Aldridge, LaMarcus
                          Roy, Brandon (only if he were Roy before the knee problems)
                          Wallace, Gerald
                          Durant, Kevin
                          Westbrook, Russell
                          Jefferson, Al
                          Kirilenko, Andrei
                          Millsap, Paul
                          Ellis, Monta
                          Gordon, Eric
                          Artest, Ron
                          Griffin, Blake
                          Bryant, Kobe
                          Bynum, Andrew
                          Gasol, Pau
                          Nash, Steve
                          Evans, Tyreke

OK so these are 50 players
                          i know this is just your opinion but the thing is I can make a list of 50 other players thaht IMO are betetr than half of those 50 you have there, and some one esle cna write down 50 otehr different names that he think are the best ins their opinion.

My point is it is not just 50 players that reparate the Euroleague with the NBA when a los of Americans play as import in the euroleage and do phenomenal there nad this players have never stepped a foot on an NBA court, and yes some of those are in fact nba caliber player that have never had the chacen to play there for different bad turns of fate and bad luck but other are just no that good to be nba player and yet they are at the very least stablished players some are super stars in the European Leagues or the Euroleague itself. Also a lot of Europeans that were the 10th or 14th man in an nba rotation are super star in the NBA.

Look at josh childress for example he didn't have a great carrer in europe even though he did have a good one (despite it being a little dissappoting) but he does not even come off the bench in the NBA. there are some player in the NBA that I woudl agree should be in the nba becuase they simply have no talent nad they were lucky thahta tey played for this or that coach or this or that University/College or thimply becuase they were danm tall, and this player would not make an Euroleague roster but if you are honest and objective we can all agree that those are very rare an special cases that you do not see very often in the NBA even though they happen every once in a while.

SO i woudl not say that what separated teh Euroleague and the nab is just the top 2-3 player from every team, in fact i don't think that what separate teh NBA and euroleague is relate to or cause by the nba, at least not directly, I think thata what separate the NBA nad teh Euroleague is the NCAA. And the government financed state of the art facilities that most universities there vae in order to for quite frankly te greatest pool of talent that any other conuntry can have a pool of talent so big that that have of the player in most professional leagues are a byproduct of it. A pool of talnet so big that it has made almost impossible t get to the NBA and demand from the players the greatest of sacrifes to get to the top because the distance to the top is so so so so so so so so long!

to the point that the gap between some one who is consider a top 5 player in the nba a someone who is a top 100 is so huge but that if you take that top 100 top 150 nba player to an european legaue he might be the best palyer there.

The one thing I do give to euroleageu is that some player that have teh chacne and talent to be in teh nba decide to stay in their countries for confort reasons and becuase it is more financially beneficial for them
                          ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
                            i know this is just your opinion but the thing is I can make a list of 50 other players thaht IMO are betetr than half of those 50 you have there, and some one esle cna write down 50 otehr different names that he think are the best ins their opinion.

My point is it is not just 50 players that reparate the Euroleague with the NBA when a los of Americans play as import in the euroleage and do phenomenal there nad this players have never stepped a foot on an NBA court, and yes some of those are in fact nba caliber player that have never had the chacen to play there for different bad turns of fate and bad luck but other are just no that good to be nba player and yet they are at the very least stablished players some are super stars in the European Leagues or the Euroleague itself. Also a lot of Europeans that were the 10th or 14th man in an nba rotation are super star in the NBA.

Look at josh childress for example he didn't have a great carrer in europe even though he did have a good one (despite it being a little dissappoting) but he does not even come off the bench in the NBA. there are some player in the NBA that I woudl agree should be in the nba becuase they simply have no talent nad they were lucky thahta tey played for this or that coach or this or that University/College or thimply becuase they were danm tall, and this player would not make an Euroleague roster but if you are honest and objective we can all agree that those are very rare an special cases that you do not see very often in the NBA even though they happen every once in a while.

SO i woudl not say that what separated teh Euroleague and the nab is just the top 2-3 player from every team, in fact i don't think that what separate teh NBA and euroleague is relate to or cause by the nba, at least not directly, I think thata what separate the NBA nad teh Euroleague is the NCAA. And the government financed state of the art facilities that most universities there vae in order to for quite frankly te greatest pool of talent that any other conuntry can have a pool of talent so big that that have of the player in most professional leagues are a byproduct of it. A pool of talnet so big that it has made almost impossible t get to the NBA and demand from the players the greatest of sacrifes to get to the top because the distance to the top is so so so so so so so so long!

to the point that the gap between some one who is consider a top 5 player in the nba a someone who is a top 100 is so huge but that if you take that top 100 top 150 nba player to an european legaue he might be the best palyer there.

The one thing I do give to euroleageu is that some player that have teh chacne and talent to be in teh nba decide to stay in their countries for confort reasons and becuase it is more financially beneficial for them
                            @ the bolded part

If you really can find 50 players who are better then half of the players i mentioned i will take your point. Go ahead i would really like to see you try.

You like to mention Childress as a bench wormer in the NBA yet in the season when he made the jump to the Euroleague he averaged almost 12pts and 5rbs per game. The year before he averaged 13 and and 6. Now do you really believe Chidlress is a bench wormer in the NBA? Seriously? He was in a bad situation in PHX because he had to compete with Carter, Richardson and Dudley for minutes. On a team like the Bucks for ecample he would be a starter and average probably identical numbers to his EL numbers or his Atlanta days numbers (buth were very similar).

On the other hand you have a player like Anthony Carter. In his last EL season he averaged 15 7 3. He was 30 at the time. In his next 2 NBA seasons he averaged 12.5 4 2 at age 32, which is well past his prime. He was almost just as good in the NBA as he was in the EL.

JCN in his first NBA season averaged 11 and 2. In his prior EL season he averaged 16 and 2. Not much better, considering his was the 3rd option in Memphis and theclear cut first option in Barca.

Scola in his last EL season averaged 15 and 6. This year with the Rockets in the same role he averaged 18 and 8.

But lets not only look at the premier players. Lets look at a guy like Dragic.

In his last season in Olimpija he averaged 9 3 3. In his last NBA season he averaged 7.5 2.5 2.5 in 10 less minutes of playing. So again not much worse.

And to the second bolded part. A top 100-150 NBA player is a regular rotation player. Which means he is a player 3-8 on any given NBA team. And yes exactly most 3rd or forth NBA options would be great EL players just as i said. They would be 1st and second options on EL teams.

My point is that players 3-8 on an NBA team = players 1 through 5 on most EL teams. 3rd options on NBA teams are Elite EL players (mostly) and 8th men in an NBA rotation are EL starter calibre players.

Believe me there have been many many many more 10th 11th 12th NBA players who tried to play in Europe and failed because they simply were not good enough, then there have been NBA players who didn't make it in the NBA and became stars in Europe.
                            My homage to The heroes:

Comment

Originally posted by Alyosha12 View Post
                              @ the bolded part

If you really can find 50 players who are better then half of the players i mentioned i will take your point. Go ahead i would really like to see you try.

You like to mention Childress as a bench wormer in the NBA yet in the season when he made the jump to the Euroleague he averaged almost 12pts and 5rbs per game. The year before he averaged 13 and and 6. Now do you really believe Chidlress is a bench wormer in the NBA? Seriously? He was in a bad situation in PHX because he had to compete with Carter, Richardson and Dudley for minutes. On a team like the Bucks for ecample he would be a starter and average probably identical numbers to his EL numbers or his Atlanta days numbers (buth were very similar).

On the other hand you have a player like Anthony Carter. In his last EL season he averaged 15 7 3. He was 30 at the time. In his next 2 NBA seasons he averaged 12.5 4 2 at age 32, which is well past his prime. He was almost just as good in the NBA as he was in the EL.

JCN in his first NBA season averaged 11 and 2. In his prior EL season he averaged 16 and 2. Not much better, considering his was the 3rd option in Memphis and theclear cut first option in Barca.

Scola in his last EL season averaged 15 and 6. This year with the Rockets in the same role he averaged 18 and 8.

But lets not only look at the premier players. Lets look at a guy like Dragic.

In his last season in Olimpija he averaged 9 3 3. In his last NBA season he averaged 7.5 2.5 2.5 in 10 less minutes of playing. So again not much worse.

And to the second bolded part. A top 100-150 NBA player is a regular rotation player. Which means he is a player 3-8 on any given NBA team. And yes exactly most 3rd or forth NBA options would be great EL players just as i said. They would be 1st and second options on EL teams.

My point is that players 3-8 on an NBA team = players 1 through 5 on most EL teams. 3rd options on NBA teams are Elite EL players (mostly) and 8th men in an NBA rotation are EL starter calibre players.

Believe me there have been many many many more 10th 11th 12th NBA players who tried to play in Europe and failed because they simply were not good enough, then there have been NBA players who didn't make it in the NBA and became stars in Europe.
                              you just repeated whay i said
                              ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
                                you just repeated whay i said
                                Yeah but you are missing the crucial point. JCN is a 3rd option on a good NBA team and a second on a bad. However some 3rd NBA option is on the same level as JCN, 4th NBA option is on the same level as 2nd in the EL 5th NBA option is 3rd EL option etc. That means that the difference in quality between the NBA and the EL is in the 1st and 2nd option on NBA teams and nothing else.

So my question to you is if you take all the 60 odd best NBA players and transplant them on EL teams, and leave NBA rosters without their star, all star and superstar players. Which league would be better. The EL or the NBA?
                                My homage to The heroes:

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information