No announcement yet.

Comparison NBA - Euroleague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to compare NBA-Euroleague directly,there is so much difference and so on!

It's similar to the NHL-KHL/european icehockey argument really. For the most part the US based teams will always be 'bigger'. Better infrastructure and more money and probably a better fan base. But at the same time the NBA without its european players would NOT be the NBA that it is today. People will always argue "why do the euro teams over pay for NBA players" well why not, they are hugely popular and will sell jerseys/fill seats but the main thing is 'why does the NBA take all the top european guys' Im pretty sure the yanks wouldn't care if every NBA team was all american if they had enough good players to work it that way.

Bit of a rant, just my thoughts
    VEF RIGA

Comment

Nowitzky, Parker and Gasol would never dominate in Europe as in NBA (as Bodiroga, Kukoc, Navarro and Teodosic did) . the times are changing...

Comment

Originally posted by souly View Post
        Nowitzky, Parker and Gasol would never dominate in Europe as in NBA (as Bodiroga, Kukoc, Navarro and Teodosic did) . the times are changing...
        What makes you say that?
        Gasol was the MVP of Copa del Rey and the ACB finals the season before heading to the NBA. He was also in Euroleague's second team. Who knows what he could have achieved if he had stayed in Europe...
        Nowitzki helped Würzburg get to the German 1st division for the first time before going to Dallas. He was regarded as the best German player that year.
        Look at Parker's stats this year with Villeurbanne in Pro A. He also had 34 + 5 + 5 in his single Eurocup game.
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

How can you say that after AK-47 went bananas in the Euroleague?
          47-70
          76-58

Comment

i agree. think that 100 europeans can play overseas now...

Comment

stats, stats, stats. they are really super players - they should played in ex Yu league. that's the biggest compliment for them. they are now one of the finest 10 European players ever, but in Europe...
              they would never be legends as Drazen, Kukoc or Bodiroga.
              today it's much easier for Europeans in the NBA. they come aged 20 and get 30-35 minutes.
              if you love stats, than what would you say that Drazen (1985-1986) averaged 43pts in Euroleague and had average PR of 61 !!!
              when he finally got in the NBA - he played 12!!! minutes per game in his first season (Nowitzky got 23, Gasoul 32, Parker 30)...

Comment

Originally posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
                Euroleague teams playing their entire rosters and bench players major minutes - as much more in fact more than the NBA teams.

So apparently the NBA teams take the games as serious or more than the European teams. Oh and the Lakers wanted to win the game against Barca BADLY. Jackson was fuming and enraged when they lost.

They were playing their starters in the 4th quarter of the game and yet "they did not take the game seriously". Right.........

When the NBA wins the games "count as proof that the NBA is superior". When the Euroleague wins "the NBA didn't try".

When Team USA wins it is "proof that they are superior". When Team USA loses it is because "they did not try".

Like I said, the NBA only fans are all a joke.
                Same exact logic MLS fans use when they talk about how the Kansas City Wizards beat Manchester United. Exhibition games don't mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff23 View Post
                  Same exact logic MLS fans use when they talk about how the Kansas City Wizards beat Manchester United. Exhibition games don't mean anything.
                  so you're basically saying that there's no way to compare the teams since they only face eachother in exhibition games.

Ignoring the fact that you're comparing FOOTBALL with BASKETBALL. In football, the "strong" team has youth academies and can field a lineup of 17 year olds. In basketball, the "strong" team just has a 15 man roster, the same guys that play in the NBA. Therefore, your argument is invalid.

This quote is one of the few times I agree with the member named FIBA Europe Basket.
                  When the NBA wins the games "count as proof that the NBA is superior". When the Euroleague wins "the NBA didn't try".

When Team USA wins it is "proof that they are superior". When Team USA loses it is because "they did not try".
                  Spot on.

Comment

GOOD TEAMS

stars:

kobe, james, dirk, wade, paul... vs. diamantidis, navarro, krstic....

role players:

metta world peace(i just had to put this guy), terry, sefolosha...v.s bramos, kaimakoglu, sada

scrubs:
                    green, mahinmi... vs. artsur, carraretto....

Bad teams:
                    Love, Wall,...vs. Simon, Varda...
                    Rindour, McGee....vs, Masic, Muric...
                    Pekovic, Vesely...vs. Rothbart, Babic

there is your comparison. besides few exceptions that just confirm the rule, NBA is still ahed of Euroleague. Of corse it's not difrence it was in 70is or early 80is , but NBA is still ahed of Euroleague
                    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

nonsense...
                      kobe is really good, CP; Howard and Lebron too, but Teodosić is better than 90% players in this list...

Originally posted by Alyosha12 View Post
                      Why does every damn thread about the NBA have to turn out into a NBA vs. Euroleague thread?

Anyway i agree. What separates the NBA with the Euroleague are the 2-3 top guys on most NBA teams. Players 4-9 are interchangeable with Euroleagues best players. Btw it is not me who thought that up, but Iseah Tomas. He said so in an interview. Players 10-14 are usually not good enough for the best European leagues. Ofcourse it depends on the situation the player is in. Some NBA player on one NBA team doesn't sniff the floor yet is good enough to be a contributer on another. Nobody will tell me that Splitter is not NBA starter material. Just like some Euro player is not good enough for one team but is an NBA talent. Ben Wallece comes to mind, when he played in Italy's second division.

Anyway IMO these are NBA players who have no counterpart in Europe:
                      Garnett, Kevin
                      Pierce, Paul
                      Rondo, Rajon* (not sure about this one though)
                      Williams, Deron* (although he is in Europe atm)
                      Anthony, Carmelo
                      Stoudemire, Amar'e
                      Iguodala, Andre* (am not sure)
                      Deng, Luol
                      Boozer, Carlos
                      Rose, Derrick
                      Jamison, Antawn
                      Granger, Danny
                      Bosh, Chris
                      James, LeBron
                      Wade, Dwyane
                      Arenas, Gilbert* (if he starts playing like Agent 9 again)
                      Howard, Dwight
                      Butler, Caron
                      Nowitzki, Dirk
                      Chandler, Tyson
                      Scola, Luis
                      Gasol, Marc
                      Gay, Rudy
                      Randolph, Zach
                      Okafor, Emeka
                      Paul, Chris
                      West, David
                      Duncan, Tim
                      Ginóbili, Manu
                      Parker, Tony
                      Beasley, Michael
                      Love, Kevin
                      Aldridge, LaMarcus
                      Roy, Brandon (only if he were Roy before the knee problems)
                      Wallace, Gerald
                      Durant, Kevin
                      Westbrook, Russell
                      Jefferson, Al
                      Kirilenko, Andrei
                      Millsap, Paul
                      Ellis, Monta
                      Gordon, Eric
                      Artest, Ron
                      Griffin, Blake
                      Bryant, Kobe
                      Bynum, Andrew
                      Gasol, Pau
                      Nash, Steve
                      Evans, Tyreke

OK so these are 50 players better then any player playing in Europe (as far as talent is concerned). But again, and this is the crucial part and i will put it in bold. Other players not mentioned (a few were simply forgotten ofc.) , the players who are 3rd-7th players on a given NBA team are good enough to be the go to guys on any or most Euroleague, Eurocup, ACB etc. team. They would be playing instead of guys like JCN, Langford, DD, McCalabb, FSE, Huertas, Teodosic etc. The players mentioned above however have no counterpart, and if they came over to play on Euroleague teams, the Euroleague would be a more talented and a beter league then the NBA.

Comment

It is still NBA >>> Euroleague.

But the difference is getting smaller and smaller.I don't know if this is top that european basketball can come close,time will tell...however,I swear i can find in my town,in Croatia,some bigger natural talents than,for example,LeBron James,Dwight Howard,or i don't know who.The system of education,and making players,makes the difference.

Comment

There are two problems I think that's stopping Euroleague from closing the gap more on the NBA.

1: Keeping talent. Rubio being the latest, so long as the best European talent looks to the NBA I can't see Euroleague ever being a true equal.

2: The level of the lower level Euroleague teams. While the championship contenders impress, I'm not sure if I would say the teams eliminated in the round of 24 have improved much at all. That's the biggest difference, while teams like the Wizards and my Pistons suck in the NBA, they could give the contenders of Euroleague a good game. I don't think I could say the same for EL's bottom dwellers.
                          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                            There are two problems I think that's stopping Euroleague from closing the gap more on the NBA.

1: Keeping talent. Rubio being the latest, so long as the best European talent looks to the NBA I can't see Euroleague ever being a true equal.

2: The level of the lower level Euroleague teams. While the championship contenders impress, I'm not sure if I would say the teams eliminated in the round of 24 have improved much at all. That's the biggest difference, while teams like the Wizards and my Pistons suck in the NBA, they could give the contenders of Euroleague a good game. I don't think I could say the same for EL's bottom dwellers.
                            I think the second is a consequence of the your first point. If, let's say, all that top european talent had stayed in Europe, the lower tier of EL teams would be better.

Comment

I just can't imagine a Euroleague team like CSKA even had a remote chance to be in a playoff if they play under NBA rules. Krstic will look like a scrub again and AK 47 will be a role player again. Maybe if they play under FIBA rule where teams can play full zone and can congested the lane but when there is a defensive 3 second and so much space, they will get blown. Sorry NBA is about playing a grown man defense and one on one matchup. Kirilenko can hang but I can't expect the same with the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by zuti_gripe View Post
                                It is still NBA >>> Euroleague.

But the difference is getting smaller and smaller.I don't know if this is top that european basketball can come close,time will tell...however,I swear i can find in my town,in Croatia,some bigger natural talents than,for example,LeBron James,Dwight Howard,or i don't know who.The system of education,and making players,makes the difference.
                                Really, if they have all those talents that you swear, I'm pretty sure NBA will be all over it. Just because those homegrown talent look like spectacular against the weaker competition, does not mean they can do it on the another level. How about seeing those talent in Euroleague level before you talk about Lebron and Dwight Howard of the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information