Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comparison NBA - Euroleague

It is still NBA >>> Euroleague.

But the difference is getting smaller and smaller.I don't know if this is top that european basketball can come close,time will tell...however,I swear i can find in my town,in Croatia,some bigger natural talents than,for example,LeBron James,Dwight Howard,or i don't know who.The system of education,and making players,makes the difference.

There are two problems I think that's stopping Euroleague from closing the gap more on the NBA.

1: Keeping talent. Rubio being the latest, so long as the best European talent looks to the NBA I can't see Euroleague ever being a true equal.

2: The level of the lower level Euroleague teams. While the championship contenders impress, I'm not sure if I would say the teams eliminated in the round of 24 have improved much at all. That's the biggest difference, while teams like the Wizards and my Pistons suck in the NBA, they could give the contenders of Euroleague a good game. I don't think I could say the same for EL's bottom dwellers.
    Dtown facts: roots for...

Detroit Pistons: We'll be good again...someday

Michigan Wolverines: Hail to the victors valiant.

USA Basketball: It's not koolaid it's 19 Olympic and World cup titles.

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    There are two problems I think that's stopping Euroleague from closing the gap more on the NBA.

1: Keeping talent. Rubio being the latest, so long as the best European talent looks to the NBA I can't see Euroleague ever being a true equal.

2: The level of the lower level Euroleague teams. While the championship contenders impress, I'm not sure if I would say the teams eliminated in the round of 24 have improved much at all. That's the biggest difference, while teams like the Wizards and my Pistons suck in the NBA, they could give the contenders of Euroleague a good game. I don't think I could say the same for EL's bottom dwellers.
    I think the second is a consequence of the your first point. If, let's say, all that top european talent had stayed in Europe, the lower tier of EL teams would be better.

I just can't imagine a Euroleague team like CSKA even had a remote chance to be in a playoff if they play under NBA rules. Krstic will look like a scrub again and AK 47 will be a role player again. Maybe if they play under FIBA rule where teams can play full zone and can congested the lane but when there is a defensive 3 second and so much space, they will get blown. Sorry NBA is about playing a grown man defense and one on one matchup. Kirilenko can hang but I can't expect the same with the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by zuti_gripe View Post
    It is still NBA >>> Euroleague.

But the difference is getting smaller and smaller.I don't know if this is top that european basketball can come close,time will tell...however,I swear i can find in my town,in Croatia,some bigger natural talents than,for example,LeBron James,Dwight Howard,or i don't know who.The system of education,and making players,makes the difference.
    Really, if they have all those talents that you swear, I'm pretty sure NBA will be all over it. Just because those homegrown talent look like spectacular against the weaker competition, does not mean they can do it on the another level. How about seeing those talent in Euroleague level before you talk about Lebron and Dwight Howard of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Really, if they have all those talents that you swear, I'm pretty sure NBA will be all over it. Just because those homegrown talent look like spectacular against the weaker competition, does not mean they can do it on the another level. How about seeing those talent in Euroleague level before you talk about Lebron and Dwight Howard of the world.
    Sorry,you misunderstood it.I say,I know a man,living in Zagreb,for example,which now has 40,or so,but never got an opportunity for a pro career,because of lack of money,and support from family.He was a talented shooting guard,and I bet that he can still beat some of Croatian pro players(regardless of how weak our league is).Of course,I won't compare now top NBA players here,neither average ones.What's my point,you never know when you might see a natural talent with physical abilities,height,coordination,athleticism,that can be turned with a systematic work into a top player,maybe even better than some NBA players.Remember Josip Sesar,Croatian shooting guard?Well,I can only say,that we could have seen miracles from him.Why didn't we,ask the educational system of Croatian clubs,as well as himself,because he later liked more caffee bars than training. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXQYoQkyH3M

here,yet another reminder of what I am talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0o9CfZrxEY

There is one another big Croatian talent,Dario Šarić.I'm afraid that this rotten Croatian basketball system will ruin him too,and that the federation will only make some fast money,and turn him into an incomplete player,like it did to numerous players before.But,this is already an offtopic,so I apologize.

Ettore Messina saw the light

Dismantling anti NBA stereotypes one by one.

I have to admit that before coming over here I, like many fellow Europeans, wrongly believed that we were much better shooters as compared to NBA guys. The truth is shooting percentages here are mostly the result of outstanding athleticism and savvy of the defenders. Otherwise, if you give an average player an open shot, he’ll hit it with the same consistency as your European guy.
    Finally, there’s no avoiding the fact that we’re going through a special season in terms of importance of every single game. You know this common European perception that regular season NBA games sometimes lack intensity with players sleepwalking through the first two or three quarters? Well, you don’t see anything like that in a 66-game season. Every game is important. Every loss can affect your chances of making playoffs or getting a high enough seed for a long postseason run. And with the Lakers having a new head coach, new staff and new system, there’s no time for complacency. Everybody realizes we need to have a good season. I haven’t seen a single game so far where the intensity level wasn’t at its max from minute one, and one can assume it’ll only get tougher and more intense as we approach the end of the regular season and the start of the play-offs.
    whole article about his experience as a Lakers assistant here.
    http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/messina/286988.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alvertis4 View Post
    lol typical NBA fanboys... NBA has the top 40 players imo. Then it get's really one dimensional and Europe has overall better players than most NBA guys till 100.
    This makes absolutely no sense. If Europe/NBA is THAT close when it comes to non-allstars then Europe should producing many more dominant players than they do currently. There should be insane players breaking away from the majority.

Players raise their level based on how good the rest of league is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123