Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Comparison NBA - Euroleague

  1. #1

    Default Comparison NBA - Euroleague

    Is there a great difference between the NBA and the Euroleague? If we take the best 15 players of the Euroleague and we put them in the NBA, could they make it to the playoffs? For example, a team with:
    C: Nesterovic, Schortsanitis, Tomic
    PF: Lorbek, Batiste, Freeland
    SF: Mickeal, Siskauskas, San Emeterio
    SG: Navarro, Spanoulis, Diamantidis
    PG: Teodosic, Huertas, Rubio
    I think they could reach the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, but not in the Western Conference.
    What do you think?
    Greetings

  2. #2
    Senior Member Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,134
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    The closest team to the one above was Toronto in 2007/08 season I guess.

    Bosh/Nesterovic/Brezec
    Bargnani/Garbajosa/Baston/Humphries
    A. Parker/Kapono/Graham
    Delfino/Moon
    Calderon/TJ Ford/Dixon

    They had a 41-41 record, and they made the playoffs. (Exit at the 1st round, by 1-4)

    So, it looks possible but I wouldn't bet.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    2,653
    Country: United States

    Default

    Provided they had the full allotment of pre-season, and training to get used to each other and NBA differences then yes I could see them as a playoff team. But I don't see much further than that. Also who would be coaching such a team?
    Dtown facts: roots for...

    Detroit Pistons: We'll be good again...someday

    Michigan Wolverines: Hail to the victors valiant.

    USA Basketball: It's not koolaid it's 19 Olympic and World cup titles.

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  4. #4
    SunOverHStreet
    Guest

    Default

    This kinda reminds me of a Groundhog day. But, what the hell...

    C: Marić, Sofo
    PF: Teletović, Stonerook, Gist
    SF: San Emeterio, Mickeal, Vesely (Pocius)
    SG: Navarro, Perkins (Diamantidis)
    PG: Langford, McCalebb (Teodosić)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    A team with no player to create his own shot on a constant basis would at best case grab the 8th eastern conference place,even that is doubtful.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunOverHStreet View Post
    This kinda reminds me of a Groundhog day. But, what the hell...

    C: Marić, Sofo
    PF: Teletović, Stonerook, Gist
    SF: San Emeterio, Mickeal, Vesely (Pocius)
    SG: Navarro, Perkins (Diamantidis)
    PG: Langford, McCalebb (Teodosić)
    this team looks worse than this season's Cavs

  7. #7
    Senior Member Victorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,328
    Country: Netherlands

    Default

    If you would take all the talent in Europe/Euroleague you could assemble a few NBA teams. i.e imo a mix of the best players of Olympiakos and Panathinaikos would be an NBA team.

    C: Nesterovic, Maric, Batiste
    PF: Bourousis, Fotsis, Tsartsaris
    SF: Sato, Vasilopoulos (Keselj)
    SG: Spanoulos, Nicholas
    PG: Diamantidis, Teodosic, Papaloukas

    Coach: Ivkovic, Obradivic

    A combination between Barca and Caja or Real would make the NBA as well. Actually Barca in itself would be an NBA team.

    I don't know if these teams would make it in the play-offs though. The game is quite different in the NBA. I do not necessarily mean a higher level (which it is), but I mostly refer to the style of play.
    Last edited by Victorious; 03-01-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

  8. #8
    Administrator mvblair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    11,247

    Default

    Yes, if you took the top players in the EL and carved out a few NBA teams, they would make the play-offs.

    Such EL teams would be much better than the Clevelands, New Jerseys, Washingtons, Minnesotas, Sacramentos, and Golden States of the NBA.

    Remember, in the NBA, more teams go to the play-offs than don't. If Indiana, Philadelphia, and Portland can go to the play-offs, an "All EL Team" could, too.

    Depending on the rules and home court, they could give a few teams a "run for their money."
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

  9. #9
    SunOverHStreet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    this team looks worse than this season's Cavs
    Yeah, you're right... But, add some steroids, maybe a little bit of cocaine, some amphetamines and baaam... Philly. At least.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Ampretamines,Cocaine and Steroids are banned substances in NBA.

  11. #11
    SunOverHStreet
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Ampretamines,Cocaine and Steroids are banned substances in NBA.
    Damn! No playoffs for me...

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    The level of overrating of the NBA is so ridiculous. The NBA is 9-5 against the Euroleague with mixed rules and mixed refs. 9-5.

    Barca beat the Lakers rather easily with mixed rules and refs.

    Anyone that thinks the NBA is somehow superior to the Euroleague is cannot be taken seriously.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
    The level of overrating of the NBA is so ridiculous. The NBA is 9-5 against the Euroleague with mixed rules and mixed refs. 9-5.

    Barca beat the Lakers rather easily with mixed rules and refs.

    Anyone that thinks the NBA is somehow superior to the Euroleague is cannot be taken seriously.
    They were preseason games.Euro teams took so serious those games..

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Euroleague teams playing their entire rosters and bench players major minutes - as much more in fact more than the NBA teams.

    So apparently the NBA teams take the games as serious or more than the European teams. Oh and the Lakers wanted to win the game against Barca BADLY. Jackson was fuming and enraged when they lost.

    They were playing their starters in the 4th quarter of the game and yet "they did not take the game seriously". Right.........

    When the NBA wins the games "count as proof that the NBA is superior". When the Euroleague wins "the NBA didn't try".

    When Team USA wins it is "proof that they are superior". When Team USA loses it is because "they did not try".

    Like I said, the NBA only fans are all a joke.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    2,653
    Country: United States

    Default

    The Lakers also got blown out by the Timberwolves the game before, I'm sure the T-wolves are the superior team as well

    Anyway bringing up mixed rules in this topic is pointless, because it's about how the above European team would do by NBA rules not the reverse. Traditionally Euroopean teams have struggled under the rule differences.
    Dtown facts: roots for...

    Detroit Pistons: We'll be good again...someday

    Michigan Wolverines: Hail to the victors valiant.

    USA Basketball: It's not koolaid it's 19 Olympic and World cup titles.

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    61
    Country: Aaland

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuisBrosso View Post
    Is there a great difference between the NBA and the Euroleague? If we take the best 15 players of the Euroleague and we put them in the NBA, could they make it to the playoffs? For example, a team with:
    C: Nesterovic, Schortsanitis, Tomic
    PF: Lorbek, Batiste, Freeland
    SF: Mickeal, Siskauskas, San Emeterio
    SG: Navarro, Spanoulis, Diamantidis
    PG: Teodosic, Huertas, Rubio
    I think they could reach the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, but not in the Western Conference.
    What do you think?
    Greetings
    this team is way off the best in Europe, but with coach as Obradovic or Ivkovic they would win 50+ in both east or west
    Jugoplastika, Cibona or Partizan from late 80's would be amongst best ever teams even in the NBA

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    106
    Country: Slovenia

    Default

    I don't know where to ask my question so I'll ask it here I am arguing with some folks , that there are some players who aren't playing in the Nba and are in the top 100 players in the world. They claim that all the current 100 top players play in Nba I say that there are some players who are in Europe and belong in this 100 best in the world(well at least Teodošič)and lock out doesn't count.Sorry for my English , thanks for the answers.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Alvertis4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    436
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andz View Post
    I don't know where to ask my question so I'll ask it here I am arguing with some folks , that there are some players who aren't playing in the Nba and are in the top 100 players in the world. They claim that all the current 100 top players play in Nba I say that there are some players who are in Europe and belong in this 100 best in the world(well at least Teodošič)and lock out doesn't count.Sorry for my English , thanks for the answers.
    lol typical NBA fanboys... NBA has the top 40 players imo. Then it get's really one dimensional and Europe has overall better players than most NBA guys till 100.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvertis4 View Post
    lol typical NBA fanboys... NBA has the top 40 players imo. Then it get's really one dimensional and Europe has overall better players than most NBA guys till 100.
    Oh yeah then how come Langdon and Baby Shaq can't even make the cut on an NBA team and they were top Euro players. I am sure there are a lot Euro players who can play in the NBA but few can make a difference and most are afterthoughts. Case in point, Childress was like all Euro league second team but with Phoenix Suns, he was barely playing with the 2nd team. If you do the math can you can tell me that after taking out the top 40 NBA players are you sure that top 60 players in Europe are better overall than the 41-100 players right now in the NBA.

  20. #20
    Senior Member KWSN-Men's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Oh yeah then how come Langdon and Baby Shaq can't even make the cut on an NBA team and they were top Euro players. I am sure there are a lot Euro players who can play in the NBA but few can make a difference and most are afterthoughts. Case in point, Childress was like all Euro league second team but with Phoenix Suns, he was barely playing with the 2nd team. If you do the math can you can tell me that after taking out the top 40 NBA players are you sure that top 60 players in Europe are better overall than the 41-100 players right now in the NBA.
    Childress was a bust in Europe and when he got back in the NBA he was much worse than he used to be, playing with the Hawks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •