No announcement yet.

Philippine National Teams - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirs any history about the Mediatrix Telecom team who gave us our worst finish in Asian club basketball???

“I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
    -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• It did not help tha BAP had so much pride that time. WE all knew how difficult to have an agreement with the major stakeholders. So voila BAP do the crazy thing instead of fielding the Cebuana lhuiller training team in some tournaments they tried to send the mediocre teams to send "THE MESSAGE AMONGS THE CASUAL FANS" that we are sending weak teams in FIBA sanctioned tournaments.. but the politics in the sport take advantage of it and put bad light on BAP leadership that led to their demise..
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• How about the past national teams (youth team edition) that baptized us the likes of Jason Castro, Ogie Menor, Shaq Tganas, James Martinez, Dylan Ababou et al.

Comment

• NO one will ever forget Dyanamite Danny during his injury-free days
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by odnid View Post
            NO one will ever forget Dyanamite Danny during his injury-free days
            But at that time (pre ankle injury) he didn't really play at real tournament at all,, I don't count the euro pocket tourney as a real one

Comment

• another what if scenario:

1998 Centenial team lost to China by small margin (8-12 only)

what if we join the 1999 ABC Championship(qualifier for 2000 sydney olympics)

We have the injury free Danny Siegle, a monster in Asi, a behemoth in Andy, Prime Menk, Prime Kenneth, capable Gs i Jeff, Johnny et al

C- EJ Feihl, Andy Seigle, Marlou Aquino
              PF - Eric Menk, Alvin Patrimonio, Danny Ildefonso
              SF - Danny Seigle, Vergel Meneses
              SG - Kenneth Duremdes, Jeffrey Cariaso, Allan Caidic
              PG - Johnny Abbarientos, Olsen Racela
              #parasabayan
              #GoGilas

Comment

• The 1999 team would also include Earl Alvarado and Rob Parker since they were still deemed legit back then.

Here's your revised lineup:

C - A. Seigle, Aquino, Taulava
                PF - Menk, Alvarado
                SF - Parker, D. Seigle
                SG - Duremdes, Meneses, Caidic
                PG - Abarrientos, Racela

Comment

• You think Jay this line-up is good enough to win the 99ABC edition?

As far as I know, Rob is legit fil am, while Alvarado is not.

Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                  The 1999 team would also include Earl Alvarado and Rob Parker since they were still deemed legit back then.

Here's your revised lineup:

C - A. Seigle, Aquino, Taulava
                  PF - Menk, Alvarado
                  SF - Parker, D. Seigle
                  SG - Duremdes, Meneses, Caidic
                  PG - Abarrientos, Racela
                  #parasabayan
                  #GoGilas

Comment

• Originally posted by ricodgame View Post
                    You think Jay this line-up is good enough to win the 99ABC edition?

As far as I know, Rob is legit fil am, while Alvarado is not.
                    Rob wasn't legit. Not an ounce of Filipino blood in his system.

Yes, it would be a strong contender. We could probably beat South Korea anytime with this lineup. China will remain to be formidable with their triple tower around but we can compete.

Comment

• Well It's only both Mengke and Wang we'll contend with along with Hu Weidong. Yao's coming out party is the 2001 edition.

I'll take Patrimonio, Lastimosa in over Parker and Alvarado. (I forgot to include Asi in my Prev line up) and we still have Benjie and Limpot! sayang!

Aquino
                      Asi
                      Danny Seigle
                      Kenneth
                      Johnny A

panalo!
                      #parasabayan
                      #GoGilas

Comment

• if Hawkins did not get injured in the middle of the 1998 PBA season, limpot or EJ feihl would not have been part of the final 12 for the 1998 Centennial team.

If the PBA allow its player to participate in the 1999 ABC and Tim cone is still the coach, it would be Danny siegle and ASi Taulava for limpot and feihl.

“Hindi ko na inaano ‘yun (mapasama sa pool) eh,” Santos said. “Kung susumahin mo ang buhay naming mga player, ‘san ba talaga ang first priority namin, ‘di ba? Ang first priority ko, dahil dito ko nakuha lahat ng kagandahan ng buhay ko at para sa pamilya ko, ang San Miguel. Alam naman ng lahat ‘yun. Ito ang dapat kong paglingkuran.”

Comment

Well It's only both Mengke and Wang we'll contend with along with Hu Weidong. Yao's coming out party is the 2001 edition.

I'll take Patrimonio, Lastimosa in over Parker and Alvarado. (I forgot to include Asi in my Prev line up) and we still have Benjie and Limpot! sayang!

Aquino
                          Asi
                          Danny Seigle
                          Kenneth
                          Johnny A

panalo!
                          yao ming was part of the 1999 team and played in the 2000 olympics games.

Comment

• Originally posted by neo View Post
                            yao ming was part of the 1999 team and played in the 2000 olympics games.
                            what i am saying, it was only the 2 who are the integral part of the team. Yao's coming out party is 2001.
                            #parasabayan
                            #GoGilas

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                              Rob wasn't legit. Not an ounce of Filipino blood in his system.

Yes, it would be a strong contender. We could probably beat South Korea anytime with this lineup. China will remain to be formidable with their triple tower around but we can compete.
                              the 1999 saw the return of hur jae for d korean team but this team was not as good as their 1997 team who won the abc title and beat china in d semis or d 2002 team that beat china in d finals for d gold.

so yes i agree that with such roster, we could have been a contender provided we have adequate practice and a good coach who could handle all those egos (especially of d fil-shams).

but we could have had a better shot in 1995 if only we reinforced the 1994 asiad team with paras, asaytino, balingit, meneses, limpot and/or espino joining abarientos, agustin, caidic, codinera, patrimonio, evangelista and/or duremdes.

1996 was the last time that asia has 2 representatives so a silver finish behind china would have been enough.

Comment

what i am saying, it was only the 2 who are the integral part of the team. Yao's coming out party is 2001.
                                yao was already the starting center in 2000, and if im not mistaken even in 1999. in 2000, it was a twin tower combo of yao and wang with mengkee backstopping yao at center.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information