Philippine National Teams - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apgarciakmp View Post
    Hi Nardy, Do you have any clippings/pictures of BeerHausen 1984?
    Just in case you'll be interested, the Greatest Games on Pinoy Extreme cable tv will be showing a 1984 AFC game between Beer Hausen and Gilbey's Gin this May. Watch out for this...

Comment

• Comment

• Could have been .....

Comment

• A portal of daily newspapers covering Philippine news headlines, business, lifestyle, advertisement, sports and entertainment. Also delivers Manila and Cebu news.

Remembering Danny Warren
          SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star Updated April 27, 2011 12:00 AM 0 comment to this post

Long before PBA cager Paul Artadi earned the moniker “Kid Lightning,” there was a 5-5 point guard who was known as “Speed Lightning” dazzling fans with his blinding quickness on the court.

Danny Warren was a mainstay of the Philippine squad that won the gold medal at the 10th Far Eastern Games in Manila in May 1934. As “Speed Lightning,” he worked his way to the national team leaving defenders biting the dust of his tracks from stints with the fabled Vandals club in Sampaloc and the UP varsity. Warren was described by writers as “fleet-footed” and “agile.”

Warren was 23 when he played alongside Ambrosio Padilla, Herr Silva, Franco Marquicias and Amador Obordo on the Philippine quintet in 1934. The countries that participated in the 10th Far Eastern Games were China, Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), Japan and the host country. The 1934 edition turned out to be the last Far Eastern Games which were subsequently cancelled because of political unrest and wars. The Far Eastern Games later resurfaced as the quadrennial Asian Games in 1951.

Warren was in line to suit up for the Philippines at the 1936 Berlin Olympics when disaster struck. During a tune-up game, Warren injured his knee on a bad fall after elevating for a lay-up shot.

“While the team was leaving for Berlin, he was still recuperating in the hospital,” said Warren’s son Jing. “It was truly one of the saddest moments of his life.” If not for the injury, Warren would’ve played on the Philippine squad that placed fifth in Berlin, the highest finish ever by an Asian country in Olympic basketball. The Philippines, coached by Chito Calvo, beat Mexico, 32-30, Estonia, 39-22, Italy, 32-14 and Uruguay, 32-23 and lost only to eventual gold medalist US, 56-23. Because of a quirk in the classification system, the Philippines could end up no higher than fifth despite a 4-1 record. One of its victims, Mexico, claimed the bronze medal in an ironic twist.

It was the first basketball competition in Olympic history and the games were played outdoors on a dirt court. In the gold medal game, the US defeated Canada, 19-8, under pouring rain with over 1,000 spectators drenched to the bone. No seats were available so the spectators stood the entire game.

The Philippine team was made up of Padilla, Obordo, Marquicias, Charlie Borck, Jacinto Ciria Cruz, Primitivo Martinez, Jess Marzan, Bibiano Ouano, John Worrel and Fortunato Yambao. Warren would’ve been in the historic lineup.

Basketball was always close to Warren’s heart. He did the rounds in the commercial leagues, playing for the Lions, Apo Cement, All-Filipino and the Manila Stock Exchange. And in the 1950s, he coached Jose Rizal College in the NCAA.

But Warren knew that basketball had its limitations as a career. That’s why he earned a civil engineering degree at UP and a commerce degree at Jose Rizal. In 1939, he became a CPA.

Warren was married to Amparo Limcaco. They had five children – Daniel, Jr. (deceased), David (deceased), Amelia (64, an ophthalmologist), Jing (61) and Joy (57). Jing, an investment banker who worked several years as an expatriate in Indonesia, is now a member of the La Salle Board of Trustees, chairman of the Lasallian Institute for the Environment and a former president of the La Salle Alumni Association.

Warren, the 10th child of 12, was the chief auditor of Shell Philippines and previously worked as an accountant at Universal Trading, the Metropolitan Water District, Aldanese, Cortes and Co., Marsman Trading, CIA Maritima and Naric. His father Mariano was the son of a British migrant Charles Warren and mother Belen Paterno came from a big clan that included former Sen. Vicente Paterno.

On April 17, 1961, 10 days short of his 50th birthday, Warren died suddenly of a massive heart attack. “After playing ping-pong with us, his children, he took his shower to get ready for a dinner engagement out,” said Jing. “We all heard a loud thump and my mother rushed up to the bathroom. She told us she saw a big lump in his chest and just rubbed around it vigorously. He was then rushed to the hospital but was dead on arrival. It was only long after he died that I learned there is this enlarged heart condition common among athletes.”

Today, Warren would’ve turned 100. His children and relatives are gathering for dinner to celebrate his birthday at Bugsy’s Sports Bar and Bistro in Burgos Circle at the Fort tonight. Jing’s sons Mig and Bugs own the bar-bistro chain whose first outlet is in Julia Vargas, Ortigas Center, and second in Salcedo Village. Bugsy’s has been consistently in Tatler Philippines’ top bars list since its first year of operations. Bugsy’s serves mostly American food including the top favorite Buffalo Tenders, Angus steak and lamb chops. It has become the hangout of choice of young professionals in the area.

“My father was a very simple man who spoke little and was subdued,” said Jing. “My mother was a devoted housewife. My parents had such a wonderful loving relationship that not once did I witness any argument between them. My father actually enrolled at Jose Rizal to pursue the love of his life and take up accounting, too, after finishing at UP. They both graduated from Jose Rizal in 1938. To me, my father was the greatest. And he continues to inspire me to this day.”

Warren’s story as an athlete, professional and family man is just as inspiring to everyone else.
          inu sya, Kidlat na galing sa Kalangitan.
          Sinu sya, Matatag na punongkahoy sa bagyo
          Ikaw na galing sa langit
          Pumukaw ng kadiliman
          Banayad na hanging bumabalot sa daigdig
          Magpakilala ka.

Sinu sya, tularan natin sya,
          Magaling syang Pulis, Matapang na Pulis
          Kahanga-hanga, bilib lahat..
          Ng tao sa kanya.

Shaider,

Sya ay si shaider.. idolo ng mga tao.
          Alagad ng batas..

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
            1960 Men's Basketball Team:

Kurt Bachmann
            Geronimo Cruz
            Alfonso Marquez
            Edgardo Pacheco
            Carlos Badion
            Emilio Achacoso
            Narciso Bernardo
            Edgardo Ocampo
            Constancio Ortiz
            Cristobal Ramas
            Edgardo Roque
            Roberto Yburan

Coach: Arturo “Luli” Rius
            I read from an old article in the 1960s that Bonnie Carbonell, Eduardo "Eddie" Lim and Nicholas "Tata" Carranceja were part of the this team.

We swept the 1st ABC (now FIBA-Asia) in 1960 and defeated China twice (one in the eliminations and the Finals).

After the success of the 1st ABC, coach Arturo "Luli" Rius was unanimously voted to coach the RP Team to the 1960 Rome Olympics beating the likes of Fely Fajardo for the head coaching position.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamalsampson View Post
              Could have been .....

Ron Jacobs listed just 8 in his 1984 Dream Team and boasted this lineup would dominate the Asian region if the pros were allowed to play:

C Ramon Fernandez
              F Abe King
              F Bogs Adornado
              G Ricky Brown
              G Francis Arnaiz

and reserves
              C Abet Guidaben
              F Philip Cezar
              G Bobby Jaworski

i would probably inject these to complete the line-up

G Atoy Co
              C- Manny Victorino
              F/C - Yoyoy Villamin
              G - the young Hector Calma, a pure point guard to supplement Jawo / Brown in PG duties

Comment

Anybody else who can provide the three remaining players of that hastily-formed 1993 RP Men's Team that won the gold in the Singapore SEAG? There's so much to be proud of this team, as despite the lack of quality players that played for this team, still won the gold medal despite the odds.

1993 RP Men's Basketball Team:
                (for the SEA Games)

Siot Tanquincen
                Poch Juinio
                Rodney Santos
                Mike Orquillas
                Cris Bade
                Onchie Dela Cruz
                Harmon Codinera
                Gilbert Castillo
                Richie Melencio
                ????
                ????
                ????

Coach: Rogelio Melencio

Add Peter Naron

Comment

Anybody else who can provide the three remaining players of that hastily-formed 1993 RP Men's Team that won the gold in the Singapore SEAG? There's so much to be proud of this team, as despite the lack of quality players that played for this team, still won the gold medal despite the odds.

1993 RP Men's Basketball Team:
                  (for the SEA Games)

Siot Tanquincen
                  Poch Juinio
                  Rodney Santos
                  Mike Orquillas
                  Cris Bade
                  Onchie Dela Cruz
                  Harmon Codinera
                  Gilbert Castillo
                  Richie Melencio
                  ????
                  ????
                  ????

Coach: Rogelio Melencio
                  If you give me a week or so, I'll search and see what I can dig up.
                  My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                  1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                  1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                  1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                  1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                  1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                  1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                  1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
                    Add Peter Naron
                    and add jason webb. he i think or i remember the starting PG of the team
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                      and add jason webb. he i think or i remember the starting PG of the team
                      i dont think jason webb was part of the 1993 team...he was part of the 1995 team...

Comment

• Here's what I got to dig up

Originally posted by usausa View Post
                        If you give me a week or so, I'll search and see what I can dig up.
                        The roster I have found based on newspaper reports (no particular order here):
                        Peter Naron
                        Eric Gascon
                        Michael Orquillas
                        Angelo David
                        Edward Juinio
                        John Rodney Santos
                        Gilbert Castillo
                        Bethune Tanquincen
                        Onchie Dela Cruz
                        Cris Bade
                        Harmon Codinera
                        Ramon Singson
                        Coach: Tembong Melencio

Results of the team:
                        June 14, 1993
                        RP-Singapore 70-64 (29-29)
                        RP: Naron 21, Gascon 12, Orquillas 11, David 10, Juinio 6, Santos 4, Castillo 4, Tanquincen 2, Dela Cruz 0, Bade 0, Codinera 0
                        Singapore: Lee 21, Sim 20, Poh 8, Chia 7, Tan 4, Wei 4

June 15, 1993
                        RP-Malaysia 92-76 (44-38)
                        RP: Orquillas 27, Bade 20, Singson 14, David 9, Santos 8, Castillo 6, Gascon 3, Tangquincen 2, Dela Cruz 0, Codinera 0 (89)
                        Malaysia: Tan 25, Chin 19, Loo 16, Wong 9, Chen 6, Te 1

June 16, 1993
                        RP-Indonesia 77-75 OT (66-66 FT; ??)
                        No scoring report found.

June 17, 1993
                        RP-Thailand 62-73 (37-46)
                        RP: Orquillas 16, Naron 9, Singson 9, Santos 8, Tanquincen 5, Castillo 5, Junio 4, Gascon 4, Bade 2, Codinera 0
                        Thailand: Phairotepeeraphaisan 20, Niemphumpung 18, Homla Or 11, Teeralerttpanit 11, Junegmongkong 6, Sangkajaroen 5, Hvandee 2

June 18, 1993 -Gold Medal Game
                        RP-Thailand 71-66 (38-40)
                        RP: Naron 25, Juinio 11, Orquillas 9, Bade 8, Santos 8, Tanquincen 6, Singson 4, Gascon 0
                        Thailand: Teeralerttpanit 20, Junegmongkong 15, Niemphumpung 12, Phairotepeeraphaisan 12, Saichon 5, Homla Or 0 (64)

Round Robin Standings
                        Philippines 3-1 (bt. Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, lost to Thailand)
                        Thailand 3-1(bt. Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines lost Malaysia)
                        Malaysia 3-1 (bt. Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, lost Philippines)
                        Indonesia 1-3 (bt. Singapore, lost to Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia)
                        Singapore 0-4 (lost to Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia)

3rd Place Game:
                        Indonesia 84-79 Malaysia

Gold Medal Game:
                        Philippines 71-66

Here are added up scorers for the Philippines (missing Indonesia game, and 3 vs. Malaysia)
                        Michael Orquillas 63
                        Peter Naron 55
                        Cris Bade 30
                        John Rodney Santos 28
                        Ramon Singson 27
                        Edward Juinio 21
                        Eric Gascon 19
                        Angelo David 19
                        Gilbert Castillo 15
                        Bethune Tanquincen 15
                        Onchie Dela Cruz 0
                        Harmon Codinera 0

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Thanks USA.

Although I distinctly remember Richie Melencio as being part of that team. We all know Richie as the son of the national team coach, Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio and I recall that Melencio appointed his son to be part of this team. Not really a case of nepotism as Richie was more than capable of holding his own back then.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a time when the BAP was struggling to get the top players of the PBL. Guys like Marlou Aquino, Noli Locsin, Boybits Victoria, Rey Evangelista, among others would have been virtual shoo-ins for this lineup but they weren't included. Instead, a ragtag team formed by Melencio and headed by two ex-pros in Onchie Dela Cruz and Harmon Codinera came about...

Comment

Thanks USA.

Although I distinctly remember Richie Melencio as being part of that team. We all know Richie as the son of the national team coach, Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio and I recall that Melencio appointed his son to be part of this team. Not really a case of nepotism as Richie was more than capable of holding his own back then.

If I'm not mistaken, this was a time when the BAP was struggling to get the top players of the PBL. Guys like Marlou Aquino, Noli Locsin, Boybits Victoria, Rey Evangelista, among others would have been virtual shoo-ins for this lineup but they weren't included. Instead, a ragtag team formed by Melencio and headed by two ex-pros in Onchie Dela Cruz and Harmon Codinera came about...
                            Some of those players you mentioned, specifically Marlou, revolted.
                            I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

Thanks USA.

Yeah, I'll look at little earlier in the archives for Richie. The roster I posted was based off of the scorers table published after each game.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Originally posted by usausa View Post

June 18, 1993 -Gold Medal Game
                                RP-Thailand 71-66 (38-40)
                                RP: Naron 25, Juinio 11, Orquillas 9, Bade 8, Santos 8, Tanquincen 6, Singson 4, Gascon 0
                                Thailand: Teeralerttpanit 20, Junegmongkong 15, Niemphumpung 12, Phairotepeeraphaisan 12, Saichon 5, Homla Or 0 (64)

Round Robin Standings
                                Philippines 3-1 (bt. Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, lost to Thailand)
                                i distinctly remember Peter Naron, hit a twisting, "contortionistic" jumper at the corner to break the backs of the Thais at the closing seconds to guarantee the gold. The Thais seemed to gave up after that shot as it knocked the wind off their sail, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information