No announcement yet.

Philippine National Teams - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This 1993 SEAG National team really surprised a lot of people. It was not expected to win the championship due to this team not being the cream of the crop of Philippine amateur basketball then. What I remember was Capt. Ball Onchie de la Cruz and coach Tembong Melencio being congratulated by then Philippine President Fidel V. Ramos via cell phone during the on-court championship celebration.

For UP observers, this tournament saw the emergence of a very different, much improved Poch Juinio. Poch Juinio and Chot Tanquincen would not have been a part of this team had there not been an uprising in the Philippine team camp. They were not even the stars in their respective collegiate teams.

The once tentative Juinio was now playing an instrumental role to the success of the teams he was playing for (UP among them) after his stint in the SEAG.

I believe Poch Juinio would not have the longevity he had in the PBA had he not come under the tutelage of the late great Tembong Melencio.

Comment

• thats the original dream team of philippine basketball

Comment

• Remembering the 1990 RP National Team

It was 1990; I’m a third grader, with a schedule of 7:00 AM on my first subject in the morning. It’s so hard for me to get up very early in the morning because I joined my dad and uncles watching the Asian Games in PTV- 4 back then. At a very young age, I was hooked up watching my favorite players like Samboy Lim and Hector Calma playing for the National squad.

Is this the best national squad ever assembled? For me YES, because, number one, I didn’t have the opportunity to watch the Caloy Loyzaga era, which is the best era in Philippine basketball history. Secondly, this national team is the only squad (I think) that has the best record ever (in terms of rankings with other Asian Teams during that time), winning the Silver medal. And thirdly, this is the only National Team which composes of 90 percent PINOY (Jaworski (Polish) and Loyzaga (Australian citizen?), I don’t know with Paras).

Let’s take a look at their lineup:

1990 Men's Basketball Team: (Thanks to Mr. Jay P. Mercado)

Hector Calma
        Ronnie Magsanoc
        Samboy Lim
        Allan Caidic
        Yves Dignadice
        Ramon Fernandez
        Benjie Paras
        Zaldy Realubit
        Chito Loyzaga
        Rey Cuenco
        Dante Gonzalgo
        Alvin Patrimonio

Coach: Robert Jaworski

This is a kind of line up which is loaded with offensive weapons (Lim. Caidic, Fernandez, Paras) and defensive arsenals (Loyzaga, Cuenco,Gonzalgo, Realubit). The balance in the team is very evident and they don’t need any naturalized import to play for them.

The team is relatively a small line-up, I think our Center is standing 6-6 only, but this is a fast lineup. Their speed is their main weapon, with their court generals, Hector Calma and Ronnie Magsanoc, you can never discount speed. Aside from that, we have snipers in the persons of Allan Caidic and Chito Loyzaga. And the suffocating defense that they can employ in every opposing team.

Coach Sonny Jaworski assembled the team in which every position in the line-up is capable on both offense and defense.

How I wish Sonny Jaworski is still very much involved in the PBA and Philippine Basketball, he may not be the best X’s and O’s type of coach, but he can bring out the best of every player as far as talent is concern.

It was 1990; I’m a third grader, with a schedule of 7:00 AM on my first subject in the morning. It’s so hard for me to get up very earl...

Comment

• 1993 PHI SEAG Team

The Philippine team that played in the 1993 SEA Games is one of my favorite teams of all time.

It was composed of the second-tier amateur standouts and had to be beefed up by former pros Onchie de la Cruz and Harmon Codiñera. And because of the rag-tag composition of that team, they won in an underwhelming fashion. The scores, I recall were close. The Philippine team didn't blow out their opponents as it was wont to do in this regional tournament.

It even lost its penultimate game against Thailand.

Bethune Tanquincen was the point guard of that rag-tag team. Poch Juinio who wasn't that heralded as a UP Fighting Maroon center, emerged as a force in the shaded lane. As a whole, you could see that while the team was not as talented as previous and later Philippine teams, it played with a lot of spunk and heart.

One of the tragedies of that team was that its head coach, Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio would die a few months after in a brawl in Pasay City.

But it still ranks as one of my favorite Philippine teams of all-time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
            The Philippine team that played in the 1993 SEA Games is one of my favorite teams of all time.

It was composed of the second-tier amateur standouts and had to be beefed up by former pros Onchie de la Cruz and Harmon Codiñera. And because of the rag-tag composition of that team, they won in an underwhelming fashion. The scores, I recall were close. The Philippine team didn't blow out their opponents as it was wont to do in this regional tournament.

It even lost its penultimate game against Thailand.

Bethune Tanquincen was the point guard of that rag-tag team. Poch Juinio who wasn't that heralded as a UP Fighting Maroon center, emerged as a force in the shaded lane. As a whole, you could see that while the team was not as talented as previous and later Philippine teams, it played with a lot of spunk and heart.

One of the tragedies of that team was that its head coach, Rogelio "Tembong" Melencio would die a few months after in a brawl in Pasay City.

But it still ranks as one of my favorite Philippine teams of all-time.
            Jumbo Cruz, a key reserve in the 1993-1995 Red Warriors teams, also played in this SEAG squad.

of course we all know that Marlou, Espino and Duremdes instigated a revolt against Tembong.
            I'm back. Don't ask why. Just be glad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Servinio View Post
              1984 PHILIPPINE JUNIOR NT
              Jerome CUETO
              Alfonso SOLIS
              Reynaldo CUENCO
              Manuel MARQUEZ
              Juanito GUZMAN
              Ludovico VALENCIANO
              Romeo ANG
              Ricardo CUI
              Cresencio AMPALAYO
              Avelino LIM
              Yves DIGNADICE
              Anthony MENDOZA
              Coach: Larry ALBANO
              Man! I remember this ...Samboy though extremely talented ....still was an upstart in a sense that he was still unpolished both in offense and defense. The guy was a human highlight film. The first Doc J of Pinas. Ron jacobs was courting him to play for NCC together with Ampalayo , Anthony mendoza . Prior to the tournament , they organised 2 exhibition games between the 82 youth squad vs the 84 and the existing national team NCC vs the 84 youth squad ! At that time ,there was a little rivalry between larry Albano and jacobs. Both were very succesfull coaches then and you could also say Philippine basketball wasnt spared with politics even then.

Those 2 games were one of the greatest games ive ever watched entertainment wise. Jeff moore and the whole NCC team was like god to me then. They were very popular because 2 years prior to that...The 82 youth game led by super guard Hector Calama put us back into the limelight when they defeated the mighty China. While the 84 squad which until now is ( my opinion) is perhaps the greatest convergence of talent as far as the youth team is concerned. The likes of Ampalayo whom was already playing commercial ball in Davao at the young age of 17! ( taga cebu dumadayo sa davao), Romy Ang, Cui, Anthony Mendoza,totoy Marquez, the high leaping Jerome Cueto and of course Samboy could compete with any team at that time.

The games were held at the historic Rizal ( i miss the heat and those big fans there). Man, Samboy Lim put on a show. He blocked Jeff moores shot and made those patented midair shots ( bastusan ). During warmups, his repertoire of dunks were unseen at that time in Filipino basketaball history. The atmopsphere was electrifying so to speak. That was also the first time i saw samboy live! Of course, that youth team wasnt succesful in retaining the crown ( korea yata site). But almost all of the players went on to become succesfull. Man, what ill do to go back for a day.

Comment

• NCC game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO6PxKdcf9s
                Thank you smart gilas!!!

Comment

• 1987 Men's Basketball Team:

Bong Alvarez
                  Nelson Asaytono
                  Glenn Capacio
                  Jerry Codinera
                  Joey Guanio
                  Jojo Lastimosa
                  Ronnie Magsanoc
                  Joey Mendoza
                  Benjie Paras
                  Alvin Patrimonio
                  Dindo Pumaren
                  Zaldy Realubit

Coach: Joe Lipa

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                    1987 Men's Basketball Team:

Bong Alvarez
                    Nelson Asaytono
                    Glenn Capacio
                    Jerry Codinera
                    Joey Guanio
                    Jojo Lastimosa
                    Ronnie Magsanoc
                    Joey Mendoza
                    Benjie Paras
                    Alvin Patrimonio
                    Dindo Pumaren
                    Zaldy Realubit

Coach: Joe Lipa
                    Joshua Villapando later replaced Joey Mendoza after the 1987 Southeast Asian Games in Jakarta in time for the 1987 ABC Men's Championship in Bangkok.
                    Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                    Servinio's Blog of Sports
                    Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                    Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                    Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

Joshua Villapando later replaced Joey Mendoza after the 1987 Southeast Asian Games in Jakarta in time for the 1987 ABC Men's Championship in Bangkok.
                      Thanks Anthony. It was a fleeting moment for Mendoza - his own 15 minutes of fame. But he was a major stalwart for the Fighting Maroons and helped the cause of the team when it won its last UAAP championship in 1986. Mendoza also was a critical player for Phillips Sardines when they won a PABL championship in 1987 or 1988...

Comment

Thanks Anthony. It was a fleeting moment for Mendoza - his own 15 minutes of fame. But he was a major stalwart for the Fighting Maroons and helped the cause of the team when it won its last UAAP championship in 1986. Mendoza also was a critical player for Phillips Sardines when they won a PABL championship in 1987 or 1988...
                        Captain Ball pa for those who were fortunate to be there in 1986. Brother Jonas was also a member of that once in a lifetime team!

Comment

• If that is your lineup for a national team you will be destined really for a final 4 appearance
                          To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                          1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Joey Mendoza was the only member of this team who failed to turn professional -- usually, being a member of the national team guarantees a ticket to the PBA albeit with varying levels of success.
                            Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                            Servinio's Blog of Sports
                            Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                            Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                            Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

And I recall it was Tanduay that sponsored the 1987 ABC team. I watched one of that team's tune-up games and saw Joshua Villapando shooting free throws, and emblazoned on his uniform was the trademark "Tanduay".

At that time there were already rumors that Tanduay, the PBA team wa disbanding, and I thought if that were the case why was it sponsoring the amateur national basketball team.

It turned out to be true when later on it sold its PBA franchise to Purefoods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Percival O. Flores View Post
                                And I recall it was Tanduay that sponsored the 1987 ABC team. I watched one of that team's tune-up games and saw Joshua Villapando shooting free throws, and emblazoned on his uniform was the trademark "Tanduay".

At that time there were already rumors that Tanduay, the PBA team wa disbanding, and I thought if that were the case why was it sponsoring the amateur national basketball team.

It turned out to be true when later on it sold its PBA franchise to Purefoods.
                                A business blackeye occurred in late 1987 when a couple of Tanduay drinkers died allegedly owing to the liquor. This caused a major backlash in terms of sales as revenues collapsed and almost put the Elizaldes to bankruptcy. This forced the hand of Elizalde right hand man Pepito Del Gallego to disband the Tanduay Rhum team in the PBA.
                                LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                                Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information