David Stern: NBA eyeing Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Stern: NBA eyeing Brazil

PARIS -- David Stern is promising Brazilian fans they will soon have the chance to watch NBA players in action in their own country.

The NBA commissioner said during a news conference Wednesday that preseason games will be held in Brazil "likely prior to the 2014 World Cup", when Brazil will organize the showcase soccer tournament.

"My backup position is prior to the Olympics," Stern said of the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro. "We are well aware of the World Cup and Olympic expectations. And we expect to be following up on that opportunity relatively shortly."

Stern was speaking ahead of a preseason game between the New York Knicks and the Minnesota Timberwolves in Paris. He also said the NBA would soon open an office in Brazil.
    Link

This would help basketball to regain popularity. I see it with good eyes.
    Last edited by ¹²³; 10-07-2010, 09:17 PM.

It'll be silly for him to ignore a growing large economy like Brazil. There are so many Brazilians in the NBA now that Splitter has joined. (And in WNBA too).
    aim low, score high

Comment

Brazil is a big market, and looks like it took some time for Stern to realise that. Maybe he was waiting for things to calm down and stabilise in there. Now it's he right time, that's true. I agree, it'll help to promote basketball and help grow the interest, which is the only piece still missing in Brazilian basketball imo. I wonder when will the same happen in India.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

The World Cup starts on June 13th
        So either this news is bullshit or he's planning to have pre-season games during or right after the NBA Finals
        THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL View Post
          The World Cup starts on June 13th
          So either this news is bullshit or he's planning to have pre-season games during or right after the NBA Finals
          I think "prior to 2014 WC" means 2013, 2012, or 2011. I think.
          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
            Brazil is a big market, and looks like it took some time for Stern to realise that. Maybe he was waiting for things to calm down and stabilise in there. Now it's he right time, that's true. I agree, it'll help to promote basketball and help grow the interest, which is the only piece still missing in Brazilian basketball imo. I wonder when will the same happen in India.
            Brazil has a basketball tradition, India does not. But I'm sure the NBA will start to consider India as soon as their GDP per capita will at least be near 10.000 dollars.
            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
              Basketball Tradition

then why are the Arenas always empty
              Of course they have tradition. From way behind (you should know). Tradition does not translate necessarily into widespread popularity. Especially when you have the strongest football in the world.
              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
              Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                Basketball Tradition

then why are the Arenas always empty
                Soccer arenas are empty most of the times here. So it's not just basketball, people here only go to the games when it's the finals or a very important game.

And saying brazil don't have tradition in basketball is just stupid.
                Last edited by asdzas; 10-08-2010, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Hopefully we get to see something like NBA Brazil Games or Regular Season / Pre-season Games in Brazil.
                  Sacramento Kings
                  HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Brazilian´s arena when it really matters:

Franca´s Arena:

Brasília´s Arena:

Flamengo´s Arena:

PanAm2007

Comment

Brazil for sure has a great history when it comes to basketball ever since the 1930's.

But some of you guys do have a point when it comes to the fans not going to support their team.

I'll just take the second round game of the WC 2010 in Turkey between Argentina and Brazil as an example since I was there and watched the game.

The amount of Argentinian fans in the stadium was much more than the Brazilian fans even though they were both cheering really hard for their teams.

Is it because basketball is more popular in Argentina?
                      It could be just slightly a bit more, but I do admit that the Argentinians have crazier fans

The funny thing is most of the Argentinian fans were wearing Maradona and other soccer Argentinian NT t -shirts/jerseys and when I asked one of them why aren't they wearing anything basketball related they simply replied that in Argentina it's so difficult to find the bball national jersey.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Argentina had a string of great international results and this really helped basketball popularity in their country. Brazil can't even qualify for the Olympics for 3 straight editions.

Comment

It's a logical move any way you look at it: big market, growing economy, a few NBA players, big arenas...

Originally posted by Khalid80 View Post
                          The funny thing is most of the Argentinian fans were wearing Maradona and other soccer Argentinian NT t -shirts/jerseys and when I asked one of them why aren't they wearing anything basketball related they simply replied that in Argentina it's so difficult to find the bball national jersey.
                          That is correct... Li Ning doesn't exist in Argentina it's actually a bit easier to find the old 2006 model made by Topper.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information