Orlando Magic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Magic Thread

This is my second thread. Feel free to post your comments and reactions Orlando Magic Fans!
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Official Roster of Orlando Magic 2010-2011 Season.

Roster

Magic Roster

2010-11 Roster NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS 35 Malik Allen F 6-10 255 06/27/1978 Villanova 9 33 Ryan Anderson F 6-10 240 05/06/1988 California 2 30 Brandon Bass F 6-8 250 04/30/1985 Louisiana State 5 15 Vince Carter F-G 6-6 220 01/26/1977 North Carolina 12 25 Chris Duhon G 6-1 190 08/31/1982 Duke 6 13 Marcin Gortat F-C 6-11 240 02/17/1984 Lodz, Poland 3 12 Dwight Howard C 6-11 265 12/08/1985 SW Atlanta Christian Academy (GA) 6 9 Rashard Lewis F 6-10 230 08/08/1979 Alief Elsik HS (TX) 12 14 Jameer Nelson G 6-0 190 02/09/1982 Saint Joseph's 6 21 Daniel Orton C 6-10 255 08/06/1990 Kentucky R 20 Mickael Pietrus G-F 6-6 215 02/07/1982 Les Abymes, Guadeloupe 7 7 J.J. Redick G 6-4 190 06/24/1984 Duke 4 5 Quentin Richardson G-F 6-6 228 04/13/1980 DePaul 10 24 Stanley Robinson F 6-9 210 07/14/1988 Connecticut R 44 Jason Williams G 6-1 180 11/18/1975 Florida 11
    HEAD COACH
    Stan Van Gundy (College - SUNY-Brockport)

ASSISTANT COACH(ES)
    Brendan Malone (College - Iona)
    Patrick Ewing (College - Georgetown)
    Steve Clifford (College - Maine-Farmington)
    Bob Beyer (College - Alfred)
    Ahmad Ajami (College - Texas Christian)

STRENGTH-AND-CONDITIONING COACH
    Joe Rogowski (College - DePauw)

ATHLETIC TRAINER
    Keon Weise (College - Maryland)

C - Captain
    ** - Unsigned Draft Pick
    (FA) - Free Agent
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

The Orlando Magic are cautious against their South East Division Rivals, the Miami Heat. They signed Quentin Richardson as a replacement for Matt Barnes and signed point guard Chris Duhon as back-up for Nelson.

Some recent stories:

*veteran point guard Jason Williams have undergone arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. He will be out for 4-6 weeks.

*Orlando Magic Head Coach Stan Van Gundy has revealed that Brandon Bass will start at PF and Rashard Lewis will play more his natural position of SF.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

News feed from NBA.Com.

Denton: Lewis Preparing For Possible Position Change

By John Denton
        September 30, 2010

ORLANDO – Over the past three seasons with Rashard Lewis manning the power forward position, the Orlando Magic have compiled a dazzling 170-76 regular-season record while capturing the franchise’s first playoff series victory in 12 years (2008), reaching the NBA Finals (2009) and getting back to the Eastern Conference Finals (2010).

What is missing from that resume, of course, is the championship that the Magic and Lewis covet so dearly. So even in the face of almost unprecedented success for the franchise, the Magic are seriously contemplating a position change for Lewis from power forward to small forward.

Small forward is familiar territory for Lewis, who spent the first nine years of his career in Seattle playing on the wing. But in Orlando, head coach Stan Van Gundy to some degree revolutionized the ``stretch four’’ position, using a front line player to predominantly shoot 3-pointers and leave the middle of the floor open for Dwight Howard.

But Van Gundy’s biggest regret following last spring’s defeat to Boston was that the Magic hadn’t worked enough in practices and games on switching Lewis to small forward in order to get more size on the floor. Doing just that has become the top priority of this preseason to better prepare Orlando for future playoff battles against the big frontlines of the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs.

``It depends on the matchup that night. If we’re playing a big team it’s probably best for me to play (small forward) and against a small team that runs up and down, I’ll probably move to (power forward),’’ Lewis said. ``If I had a choice, it’s about how we’ll win ballgames and if that’s me playing (power forward) then I’ll play (power forward). Individually, it would help me playing (small forward). But we have a lot of talent on this team. Brandon (Bass) is a strong player and Ryan (Anderson) has been working hard this summer. Being able to do both is the key.’’

Bass worked on film study and closely with assistant coach Patrick Ewing to become a better defender at power forward, and Anderson re-shaped his body in an attempt to be quicker and stronger. Either could start at power forward and center Marcin Gortat could also see time there because of his defensive and rebounding prowess.

But Van Gundy admitted on Thursday that he’s still somewhat leery about changing a formula (i.e. Lewis at power forward) that’s brought so much success to the Magic. The likelihood is that Lewis will start at power forward with newcomer Quentin Richardson getting the nod at small forward. While Van Gundy said he wants no part of a revolving starting lineup, he does want to the flexibility to change styles during games and against particular foes.

``I’m not sure where we’ll play (Lewis) the most, but I want to be ready to play him at either spot. I’m not, by any means, saying that he’s moving to (small forward),’’ Van Gundy said. ``If I had to guess right now I’d say he’s going to start at (power forward). But we want to be prepared to play him in other spots and last year we weren’t prepared to do that. I’m not going to make that mistake again.’’

Lewis, who signed a six-year, $118 million free-agent contract with the Magic in 2007, made the transition from small forward to power forward look easily. He’s made 614 3-pointers the past three seasons – easily the most in the NBA – burning teams that dared to leave him to double-team Howard inside.

Defensively, is where the major adjustment came. He’s has the height of a power forward (6-10), but hardly the bulk (230 pounds). He’s had to bang inside against Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki and Zach Randolph, and held his own defensively for the most part.

``It was an adjustment being a skinny guy banging down low,’’ Lewis said with a chuckle. ``Playing nine years at the three, I was comfortable and great at it. But coming to Orlando, I thought I did a good job adjusting to it. We had success, but three is my natural position.’’

Similarly, the switch back to the small forward will be a breeze on the offensive end of the floor for Lewis, who worked this summer on becoming more agile and a better ball-handler. It’s having to chase the likes of LeBron James, Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony and Danny Granger around screens and over the countless number of pick-and-roll plays that gives Lewis the greatest pause.

``I don’t want to say I can do it,’’ Lewis said. ``It’s going to be a work in progress. It’s going to take some time. Nothing happens overnight. And that’s why it’s good to be in camp and try it during the preseason and see how it works out.’’

Added Van Gundy: ``The concern with him playing (small forward) is never at the offensive end. But it’s whether he can guard the threes on the move in this league. It’s a different set of expectations.’’

Lewis and Van Gundy said the driving force behind the potential position switch is the nagging feeling of what might have been last spring against Boston in the Eastern Conference Finals. The Celtics used Garnett, a defensive ace, to constantly smother Lewis and effectively take him out of the series. What little success Lewis did have was when he played small forward and he was able to score over Pierce in the post.

Lewis said he can’t help but wonder what might have happened had he played small forward full time in that series. And he’s willing to make the switch now if it will put the Magic in position to win the championship he so dearly wants.

``We probably would have done better if I did play the three, but we didn’t do it because coach didn’t want to experiment in the middle of the playoffs,’’ Lewis said of the Celtics series. ``That’s why this year we’re going to get experience with both. The key is being able to do both.’’

John Denton writes for OrlandoMagic.com. E-mail him at jd41898@aol.com.

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

^^ Starting at PF and playing PF for most of the playoffs has lead Lewis to some of the lowest offensive production of his career. He did had bit of success against the Charlotte Bobcats and Atlanta Hawks on each respective series. Against the Boston Celtics, he was punished by Kevin Garnett on the paint.

It will be interesting if Lewis will regain his wing ability of which made him one of the better forwards on the West when he was still playing for the defunct Seattle Supersonics.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Where ever Jason Williams goes i go. So yeah, go Magic!

(This is the first time in my career i'll be cheering for my man as a 3rd string point guard--- this is what you call being a dedicated fan. And yes, look at my avatar.)

The Eastern Conference goes through Boston (still way a lot tougher) and Miami (stars, stars and stars bring you places) though... So unless a) Vince Carter shows a bit of heart and youth and b) Rashard Lewis shows a bit of brain and energy i think the Magic have a puncher's chance against the giants of the East.
            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

you guys have to seriously stop these corny titles

fear the deer , bully them up , Play the right way!

how 'bout JUST: "Orlando Magic 2010-2011 Thread"

I mean, what cheesy title's next
              'Houston Rocketing to the moon" or
              "Denver eat all the other teams like chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce"

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

i couldn't agree more

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

The Magic are still a tough team. It's too bad they lost Turkoglu. That hurt a lot. Vince Carter is not the same player. Turkoglu could direct the team much better than Carter. Still, Carter can be a dangerous player.

We don't know how good Miami will be until they start the season. Miami can put Big Z on Howard, but Big Z can't play all game. My guess is that Orlando will finish second in the East, behind Boston.
                  "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                    well, a lot of people could argue that Carter had a better year than Hedo, anyway. Thus, overpaying Hedo, whose production is going downhill as expected, for the sake of the team's chemistry made sense at the time, especially for someone in his 30's.
                    And a lot of people could argue too (mostly Magic fans) that later in the year Carter disappeared for stretches--- something Turkoglu did not do when he was with the Magic as he was clutch in the playoffs many times during his Orlando stint.

i can't still forget a pair of missed freethrows by Vince in the series against Boston. Very anti-clutch really.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                      And a lot of people could argue too (mostly Magic fans) that later in the year Carter disappeared for stretches--- something Turkoglu did not do when he was with the Magic as he was clutch in the playoffs many times during his Orlando stint.

i can't still forget a pair of missed freethrows by Vince in the series against Boston. Very anti-clutch really.
                      I think you guys hit on the difference between Vince and Turkoglu IMO- Vince is a better player overall but when it comes crunch time he usually doesn't play up to expectations.

I see the Magic as the clear 2nd best team in the East and probably the 2nd best team in the NBA with the Heat being 1st and Lakers 3rd.

Comment

Orlando Magic rookie center, Daniel Orton will miss the entire pre-season scheduled games due to ailing knees.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

The Orlando Magic have exercised the third year option on the contract of forward Ryan Anderson for the 2011-2012 season.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

We're just giving some emphasis of the team's style of play, motto and their tradition. Lol.

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

Orlando Magic 2010-2011 Alternate Away Jersey

What do you think?

Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information