FIBA World Championship 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA World Championship 2018

What countries you think should bid to host it?

Which country should get it?

Well 2010 was staged in Turkey and 2014 is going to be staged also in Europe(Spain) 2006 went to Asia (Japan) so that leaves Americas and Oceania as the continet that at least deserves more consideration...

From what I have heard Puerto Rico is preparing to submit a bid... It would be really cool if we get to host it, and I think we a a decent shot... We have some of the venues (Coliseo de Puerto Rico 19k seats, Roberto Clemente 13k seats, Juan Pachin Veces Auditorium 11k seats, Manuel Iguina Coliseum 10k seast...)

Well by 2018 europe will have hosted the last two, so a change of pace would be good.

China's always a possibility, Puerto Rico would be interesting, as would Argentina, or Brazil. Aside from them maybe Australia but after those Five I can't think of anyone I'd like to see have it.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Australia would be nice.
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
        Australia would be nice.
        i agree

Comment

i agree
          I am not so popular with threads except for the NBA

Comment

iTS really great if Australia will host the 2018 WC
            they have different cities like

Melbourne,Sydney,Canberra,Darwin,and Perth
            sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
              Well by 2018 europe will have hosted the last two, so a change of pace would be good.

China's always a possibility, Puerto Rico would be interesting, as would Argentina, or Brazil. Aside from them maybe Australia but after those Five I can't think of anyone I'd like to see have it.
              How about the US? They haven't hosted the tournament since 2002. It would be nice if Team USA won in front of their home crowd.
              GILAS WISHLIST:
              6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                How about the US? They haven't hosted the tournament since 2002. It would be nice if Team USA won in front of their home crowd.
                The general public doesn't care about the World Championships here, you'd risk disastrous attendance like in 2002 to bring it back.

Now the US is fantastic place to hold the olympics, but the WC is a probable non starter.
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                  The general public doesn't care about the World Championships here, you'd risk disastrous attendance like in 2002 to bring it back.

Now the US is fantastic place to hold the olympics, but the WC is a probable non starter.
                  It could work in the US, but it would have to be in a large, diverse market with a lot of foreign nationals or US citizens with national/ethnic ties to somewhere else. Miami, New York City, Boston or Chicago would be ideal candidates.

Secondarily, sports-happy, western US cities like Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake City or Portland, where the NBA is the only game in town or is very prominent, would also make good candidates if the championship is promoted and marketed right.

Having said that, much of what you said I agree with. The US public is largely disinterested in anything envolving international competition unless it's a mega-event like the Olympics. Who knows, maybe things will change in eight years, but I won't be crossing my fingers. Plus, I kinda like the challenge of the US being the "road team" (at least in Europe). The 2010 squad wasn't the best USNT but at least they earned their medals by going through the gauntlet.
                  Last edited by Federoy; 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                    I could work in the US, but it would have to be in a large, diverse market with a lot of foreign nationals or US citizens with national/ethnic ties to somewhere else. .
                    last time I heard that MLB decided to held the World Classic in Miami and we are talking about a city where Cubans outnumber Americans and there was not even a soul in any of the Cuban games.

That said, half of the U.S. population does't even know there is a Basketball Wold Championship, and out of the other half, one third either doesn't give a rat's ass or think that it is a joke, so why bother having the WC here.

if we do get to host the event, then I just hope no genius come along this time around with the great idea of having the championship some where in Mississippi, in a High School gym.

I think only Boston and maybe Chicago have a chance of not screwing this up. and forget about Miami, Miami is basically an autonomous Hispanic City-state that has little connection to America, people in Miami don't like American sports with the expectation of Football (and baseball because of the Cubans, but Cubans don't go to the games anyway because the don't have that habit since there are no professional sports in Cuba) the rest of the people here in Miami only talk about soccer and even that sport has failed in the City. New York is a city where there are always way too many things happening there, so Attendance might be an issue there believe it or not, However, New Yorkers are suckers for Basketball so who knows maybe the WC could actually work there with the right marketing strategy, but if that ever happens and the Knicks are in charge of running the circus, then forgetaboutit !!!!
                    Last edited by Lewis; 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Purely from a rotation standpoint, I'd say somewhere in Latin America or Oceania. Puerto Rico would be my pick.

Comment

Originally posted by MinuteWaltZ View Post
                        Purely from a rotation standpoint, I'd say somewhere in Latin America or Oceania. Puerto Rico would be my pick.
                        I'd say Canada, they never get to host anything. Puerto Rico has hosted every possible event other than the WC. Brazil would also be pretty cool, as long as they don't do it in Rio

Comment

Canada host the 1994 Fiba World Championship and Puerto Rico hosted the 1974 Fiba World Championship. What I have heard the World Cup in Puerto Rico in 1974 was a sucess. It will be fun if Puerto Rico host the World Cup in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketstar47 View Post
                            iTS really great if Australia will host the 2018 WC
                            they have different cities like

Melbourne,Sydney,Canberra,Darwin,and Perth
                            Australia's priority must the 2022 FIFA World Cup bid. I'd like to see some Middle East countries like Qatar or UAE bidding. In South America, Argentina and Brazil are always good options.
                            https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
                              Australia's priority must the 2022 FIFA World Cup bid. I'd like to see some Middle East countries like Qatar or UAE bidding. In South America, Argentina and Brazil are always good options.
                              Qatar is also bidding really seriously for the FIFA 2022 World Cup. UAE and Qatar r way more interested in hosting anything FIFA related rather than FIBA related

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information