X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
    imagine what Puerto Rico might do with this roster:
    Lose to Antigua?

Why would Arroyo start over Barea? It was clear last summer that he provides zero marginal value to their team.
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Id start Barea against european teams, Lakers showed you why. He would probably kill any team that likes the halfcourt game.

Croatia
      Russia
      Spain
      Turkey

Just to name a few. I cant imagine him starting against Argentina, Greece, USA or Brazil though. Scary things would happen.
      Originally posted by J-Mart
      the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
      sigpic

Comment

Their best roster is:

Barea - Clemente
        Arroyo - Diaz - Dalmau
        Vassallo - Lee
        Sanchez - Balkman
        Ramos - Santiago - Narvaez

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
          Why would Arroyo start over Barea? It was clear last summer that he provides zero marginal value to their team.
          I think I explained it very well on my previews post
          ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xristos View Post
            Their best roster is:

Barea - Clemente
            Arroyo - Diaz - Dalmau
            Vassallo - Lee
            Sanchez - Balkman
            We have to much talent to let Arroyo take over the SG position, just cant happen.

I would like to see Vassallo starting at SG, and bringing someone like Alex Galindo or a young Edwin Ubiles to fill up the spot at SF. Replace Narvaez with Santiago and Dalmau with Clemente, add Arroyo to the pg and Peavy to the PF's and it goes something like this

Barea - Arroyo - Clemente
            Vassallo - Diaz(though I would much rather have Huertas or Holland for size)
            Galindo - Ubiles(Lee is old)
            Balkman - Peavy - Sanchez
            Ramos - Narvaez

Starting lineup is designed similarly to Dallas, with size make up for Barea's lack of size. Bench has Arroyo to make up for the backcourts lack of experience, and good rebounders in Narvaez and Peavy. Clemente would replace preferably Barea should anything go wrong while Sanchez is there if three point offense is needed.
            the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xristos View Post
              Their best roster is:

Barea - Clemente
              Arroyo - Diaz - Dalmau
              Vassallo - Lee
              Sanchez - Balkman
              Nathan Peavy is better than both Balkman and Sanchez.

Comment

The thing folks have to understand about is a major difference in the FIBA game, from the NBA, that is the lack of the defensive 3-seconds rule. Barea has and will have a more difficult time getting to the rim in FIBA than he does in the NBA because in FIBA there is almost always a big man waiting at the rim for him.

In the NBA, defenders have to scramble more to leave their man and help out against Barea, giving him more time to get to the rim when he drives the ball.

As a result, I think Arroyo still starts at point guard. Barea can play the 2, either as a starter or off bench in 3-man rotation with Arroyo and Ayuso (ideally IMO). PR is not great defensively with any of their guards, so playing Barea and Barea together is not a great loss defensively.

Many will disagree but Arroyo is still a better offensive player in FIBA because he can shoot mid range off the dribble better than Barea. Barea is much better at getting all the way to the rim than Arroyo, but is less effective at it in FIBA because of what I explained above.

PR will still need Arroyo's offensive creativity to stay in games. I think the losses in the games he missed last summer shows his value to the team. You can't write him off yet.

The coaches have to be smart and not let Barea's success lead them to just turn the team over to him. Being the 7th man and doing all those great things Barea did is a lot less challenging than being the focal point or the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Waneko View Post
                  The thing folks have to understand about is a major difference in the FIBA game, from the NBA, that is the lack of the defensive 3-seconds rule. Barea has and will have a more difficult time getting to the rim in FIBA than he does in the NBA because in FIBA there is almost always a big man waiting at the rim for him.

In the NBA, defenders have to scramble more to leave their man and help out against Barea, giving him more time to get to the rim when he drives the ball.

As a result, I think Arroyo still starts at point guard. Barea can play the 2, either as a starter or off bench in 3-man rotation with Arroyo and Ayuso (ideally IMO). PR is not great defensively with any of their guards, so playing Barea and Barea together is not a great loss defensively.

Many will disagree but Arroyo is still a better offensive player in FIBA because he can shoot mid range off the dribble better than Barea. Barea is much better at getting all the way to the rim than Arroyo, but is less effective at it in FIBA because of what I explained above.

PR will still need Arroyo's offensive creativity to stay in games. I think the losses in the games he missed last summer shows his value to the team. You can't write him off yet.

The coaches have to be smart and not let Barea's success lead them to just turn the team over to him. Being the 7th man and doing all those great things Barea did is a lot less challenging than being the focal point or the man.
                  I agree with this, especially with the red. Playing two Barea's will not affect us much defensively and will greatly increase our offense.

What worries me though is that Arroyo has slowed down a bit. As good as he was for us in past tournaments, his level of play has slowed down since 2008.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Waneko View Post

Excellent points. Before reading this, I probably would have said that Barea is way better, but you make a great point about the FIBA lane being much tougher to get to. You're absolutely right.
                    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

• Shabazz Napier

what about Shabazz Napier playing internatonal?

Comment

• Originally posted by alicea View Post
                        what about Shabazz Napier playing internatonal?
                        I don't know much about him. Is he from PR? If so, is he really able to compete with the guards that PR has right now?
                        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

• Originally posted by Waneko View Post

]
                          Ayuso was banned for 7 year from the Puerto rican National team
                          and Michael Rosario (no los robaron) is better than Ayuso anyway.
                          ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!, ABUSADOR !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ciscorlie Horford View Post
                            Ayuso was banned for 7 year from the Puerto rican National team
                            and Michael Rosario (no los robaron) is better than Ayuso anyway.
                            7-year ban? I don't think that's the case. I don't know about Rosario being better, but in any case they need Ayuso's 3-point shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waneko View Post
                              7-year ban? I don't think that's the case. I don't know about Rosario being better, but in any case they need Ayuso's 3-point shooting.
                              Rosario doesnt have Ayuso's sharpshooting, but overall is more athletically gifted than Ayuso.

Im not sure about his defense so I would rather he develop into a pg so our lack of defense remains in that position.
                              sigpic

Comment

• We need three point from Ayuso?, "masas" fanatics, go ahead and put Mojica, Pellot, Buster in the national team too.
                                Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                                16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                                Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                                8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information