This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Modis View Post
    Nice to see new countries getting their first points. Basketball rankings stretched to 92 from 85 Also so because United States didin't participate in the FIBA Americas championship this year they lost -40. Italy by their standards is so underperforming. No medal since 2004 and no real achievements since then. Missed two world cups also = the reason to why they are so low.
    Correct. Italy is SO MUCH higher than their rank.
    Originally posted by gideon
    Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• It seems the site has been updated already.

The official website of FIBA, the International Basketball Federation, and the governing body of Basketball. FIBA organises the most famous and prestigious international basketball competitions including the FIBA Basketball World Cup, the FIBA World Championship for Women and the FIBA 3x3 World Tour. The website features live and on demand videos, basketball news, over 70,00 players profile and thousands of teams profiles, schedules and statistics of all FIBA Events as well as results and statistics from over 80 national basketball leagues.

The rankings I have posted above are a bit off than the actual updated rankings. Rankings now stretch up to 91 instead of 92.
      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• This rankings are silly and meaningless if used to try to judge the quality of teams at this point in time.
        Italy at 35 is arguably better than 80% of the teams ranked ahead of them.
        The European teams ranked in the 30s and 40s are better than the Africa, Asia and Oceania teams ranked in the teens.

It is I guess merely a reflection of the points a country has accumulated in the last 8 years during their participation in the WCs and Olympics (and to a lesser extent regional championships). Not represented in this is the relative weakness of teams from geographic region to region - the ease some counties have qualifying for the big events because of weaker competition.

Knock the Asian and African teams down 20 spots and the European teams up the same amount and you may have something closer to reality.

I mean, where would you put your money on a game between BoH (#54) and China (#14) or Iran (#17) or Angola (#15)? I'd go BoH - and even if it is questionable outcome this is a ~40 spot ranking difference.

Let alone Italy, Latvia, Czech, Poland, Belgium, Macedonia, Ukraine etc.

I gather we all know this - I am concerned somewhat that they use this ranking to distribute teams in three qualification tournaments and we end up with some very uneven distribution of teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post

I gather we all know this - I am concerned somewhat that they use this ranking to distribute teams in three qualification tournaments and we end up with some very uneven distribution of teams.
          They didn't use it before, so I can hardly believe they'll do it now. I guess FIBA themselves realises that it sucks

Comment

• How about the Elo ratings? Or the one used by FIFA?

I know Elo is good, but I also heard that in some upsets, the higher-tier team ends up gaining points instead of losing a huge amount of points when losing to a lower-tier team.

What I liked about the FIFA rankings is that they include friendly matches in the rankings, not just the WC, qualifiers, or some other major FIFA events.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
              I mean, where would you put your money on a game between BoH (#54) and China (#14) or Iran (#17) or Angola (#15)? I'd go BoH - and even if it is questionable outcome this is a ~40 spot ranking difference.
              They could have a rating system say if you beat a high ranking team say #5 and you are #40, then your rank would jump much higher than say if you beat a #38 team. And if you are #5 and lose to a team #40 you would drop much further than say if you lose to a #9 etc..

Comment

• Originally posted by bballcrazy View Post
                They could have a rating system say if you beat a high ranking team say #5 and you are #40, then your rank would jump much higher than say if you beat a #38 team. And if you are #5 and lose to a team #40 you would drop much further than say if you lose to a #9 etc..
                Very much like the Elo rating, but highly unlikely the way FIBA's ranking system is laid out.

The current system only measures the teams' consistency in making ranked FIBA tournaments, so you rank higher if you consistently win continental and world championship games. A lower-ranked EU team can easily beat a higher-ranked Asian team, but that's all for nothing if that EU team can't consistently rank high in Eurobasket. Heck, even then unranked teams Estonia, the Netherlands, and Iceland beat a then unprepared Philippine team, and that says a lot about the FIBA rankings.

Maybe they should try emulating FIFA's ranking system or use the Elo ratings. The former requires FIBA to include friendlies into account, while the Elo requires backtracking all the way back to FIBA's very first tournaments.

Yes, the current system is highly flawed, but it's the best they can make up atm.

Comment

• Current rankings with points guaranteed after semis
                  1 = 1 USA - 950
                  2 = 2 Spain - 590
                  6 + 3 Serbia - 553 (#2 if they win and Spain looses)
                  5 -- 4 France - 444
                  3 -- 5 Lithuania - 442
                  4 -- 6 Argentina - 360
                  9 + 7 Brasil - 323
                  8 -- 8 Turkey - 281
                  7 -- 9 Russia - 255
                  11 + 10 Australia - 234 (#8 if they win bronze)
                  12 + 11 Croatia - 184
                  13 + 12 Slovenia - 163
                  10 -- 13 Greece - 155
                  14 = 14 China - 131.2
                  22 + 15 Venezuela - 115.4
                  25 + 16 Nigeria - 106.2
                  The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuDux View Post
                    Current rankings with points guaranteed after semis
                    1 = 1 USA - 950
                    2 = 2 Spain - 590
                    6 + 3 Serbia - 553 (#2 if they win and Spain looses)
                    5 -- 4 France - 444
                    3 -- 5 Lithuania - 442
                    4 -- 6 Argentina - 360
                    9 + 7 Brasil - 323
                    8 -- 8 Turkey - 281
                    7 -- 9 Russia - 255
                    11 + 10 Australia - 234 (#8 if they win bronze)
                    12 + 11 Croatia - 184
                    13 + 12 Slovenia - 163
                    10 -- 13 Greece - 155
                    14 = 14 China - 131.2
                    22 + 15 Venezuela - 115.4
                    25 + 16 Nigeria - 106.2

Obviously some rankings are more than a joke.
                    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
                      Obviously some rankings are more than a joke.
                      The current ranking system does not measure actual team strength (friendlies and other non-bearing competitions do not count here). It merely measures how consistently the teams make it to the major FIBA international tournaments. Even if the Philippines went 0-3 vs the Netherlands, Estonia, and Iceland last year, if these teams couldn't make it to the EC, the WC, and the OG on a consistent basis, they will still rank much lower than objectively weaker Asian teams. The key to FIBA World Rankings is NOT actual team strength, but rather consistency within 2 Olympic cycles.

The weights for Asia (0.3), Africa (0.2), and Oceania (0.1) are pretty screwed up. Now that Oceania will be merged with Asia, it has now become more or less balanced because the merged Asia-Pacific zone (AUS, NZ) would be stronger than Africa (Nigeria, Senegal?) in terms of the strongest teams in the zone. While strong African teams are capable of upsetting European and Americas teams, the rest of the African teams have been historically beaten by Asian teams of similar level on a consistent basis. (e.g. the Philippines' unbroken winning streak vs African teams in official tournaments, Angola has beaten them in a friendly leading to the 2014 WC)

The question then would be about how are the points going to be balanced to take into account the fact that the strongest teams in Asia (excluding AUS and NZ) would be hard-pressed to beat the strongest African teams while lesser Asian teams are able to beat lesser African teams consistently, at least historically, we won't know until the 2019 WC what happens now when lesser Asian teams meet lesser African teams.

To me the best ranking system for is the Elo, but you have to count from the very beginning of international basketball to accurately measure historical team strengths. Also, some quirks could happen like during upsets when the winning underdog team actually lost points while the heavily favored team actually gained points despite the upset.

Next is the FIFA ranking system, which does include friendlies in the rankings, but has its own set of problems. For instance, the Philippine football team on one stretch last year went up to #1 in SEA without participating in a single official game (except maybe friendlies), which caused quite an uproar because other SEA teams like Malaysia and Thailand are objectively stronger than the Philippines in football yet they are ranked lower despite participating in more games than the Philippines did in that stretch.

Comment

• FIBA Ranking updated, good move to Venezuela from 22 to 15 with a +7 same with the addition of several new pieces we have to keep improving:

Ranking FIBA 2016.jpg

Comment

• Last 20 years (FIBA scoring system)
                          1. USA 2194 11. ITA 531 21. NGR 222 31. JPN 76 41. ALG 40
                          2. ESP 1560 12. TUR 477 22. VEN 220 32. PAN 75 42. UKR 39
                          3. SRB 1357 13. CHN 438 23. MEX 146 33. ISR 72 43. FIN 36
                          4. ARG 1282 14. GER 385 24. IRI 128 34. LAT 69 44. TPE 33
                          5. LTU 987 15. PUR 370 25. DOM 126 35. GBR 69 45. MKD 33
                          6. FRA 805 16. ANG 313 26. KOR 101 36. PHI 47 46. CZE 32
                          7. RUS 718 17. CRO 311 27. LIB 96 37. JOR 46 47. CIV 31
                          8. GRE 673 18. SLO 310 28. URU 94 38. QAT 45 48. BIH 29
                          9. AUS 553 19. NZL 309 29. TUN 92 39. ISV 43 49. POL 28
                          0. BRA 549 20. CAN 283 30. SEN 78 40. EGY 42 50. CUB 22
                          The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

• 1. Usa - 819,6
                            2. Spain - 693,2
                            3. Serbia - 641
                            4. France - 634,9
                            5. Argentina - 615,5
                            6. Lithuania - 615,4
                            7. Slovenia - 512,6
                            8. Croatia - 499,5
                            9. Australia - 470,4
                            10.brazil - 466,2
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Dacho88Nk; 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• I find that the calculation of the classification is much more difficult than before ...
                              I hope there will be other explanations than on this: http://www.fiba.basketball/documents...men/howitworks

Otherwise the ranking seems to me rather good compared to some sports
                              Gold medal at 2016 olympics prediction game

Comment

• Knew they would have to have a new ranking system now that their will be qualifying games. Seems vastly more complicated, but it should probably be more accurate going forward.
                                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information