Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving the 2nd Olympic Slot for Asia Now: yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
    Don't really know if I could agree in this.If I were Philippines,I'd prefer one hundred times to win the Asian championship rather than competing in a group with Europe's and America's powerhouses and having to make to the next round.Frankly,I don't see again Asian teams advancing to the knockout stage.Everything will be determined if you are able to win against same level teams from Africa and America.I could see the Asians making it to the Olympics just based on their performances at the group stage.
    I hope FIBA will be wise enough to bring back classification games for this not to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      I hope FIBA will be wise enough to bring back classification games for this not to happen
      I'm pretty sure FIBA will bring the classification games back, just probably for the top 8 or top 16 though. For everything else, well, there's the win-loss record and the Goal Point Average.
      Originally posted by gideon
      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
        I'm pretty sure FIBA will bring the classification games back, just probably for the top 8 or top 16 though. For everything else, well, there's the win-loss record and the Goal Point Average.
        If few Asian teams will have the same record, would you like that your Olympic ticket would be decided by points difference? Especially imagine if Philippines will be grouped with USA.
        IMO it'd be just plain wrong. All that clssification games meant nothing before, final standings were made just for that useless FIBA ranking, but now the stakes will be waaaay higher

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post

Imagine Europeans complaining while being out at 1/4 and China with the rest of Asia counting the - point differential from the group stage.

Jokes aside,it'd suck to see us trying to make it to the top-4 teams from Europe,which means that with one or the other way you'll need to be at least at the semis to have a guaranteed place,while Asians and Africans(they're more competitive imo) will play 24-32 classification games against each other for Olympic spots
          1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Yes, it's evident that Asian teams are improving, as shown in the FIBA 2010 World Champs. Considering this progress, granting Asia an additional slot in the Olympics seems reasonable, especially given Asia's representation and competitiveness in global basketball.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information