Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweden national team

Jerebko Returns And Dreams Of EuroBasket

Jonas Jerebko is dreaming of leading Sweden into their first EuroBasket in a decade after returning to action in their final warm-up game before the Division B campaign gets under way.

The Detroit Pistons star returned to a hero's welcome as a crowd of 2445 came out to watch Sweden's final warm-up game against Estonia.

And the forward did not disappoint as he collected 20 points and eight rebounds in an 84-66 victory.

"It was really fun," Jerebko said. "I feel okay in my legs, maybe a little more tired than I thought I would be, but it's okay for the first game.

"I got better in the second half and feel great. I think my stats line looks better than I thought it would do, but I can do better. I was still a bit rusty."

Estonia jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but after Sweden coach Brad Dean called an early time-out, the hosts improved considerably.

Inspired by a pair of steals from Jerebko, they came roaring back with a 13-2 run, going ahead on a basket from Anton Saks. They were in the groove now and led 41-32 by half-time as Estonia could not find a way back.

The win will give them plenty of confidence going into their Division B opener against Belarus on Sunday, and Jerebko is already dreaming of EuroBasket 2013.

With the upcoming changes to the format of EuroBasket qualifying - which will scrap the divisional system and open the door to more teams - he believes the time is right for Sweden to play in a EuroBasket for the first time since hosting it in 2003.

The changes mean that this month's Division B campaign is about securing a good ranking to earn a better spot in the new-look qualification system, as promotion is now irrelevant.

And Jerebko is out to do all he can for his country.

"It would be really fun if we manage to get (to a EuroBasket)" he said.

"I both hope and believe that we have a chance to qualify for the EuroBasket. The goal must be to win all our games this summer and next summer."

At 23, Jerebko is still among the youngest on the Sweden squad, but his huge talent and wide experience for one of his years makes him a natural leader.

"Every year I have played outside Sweden I have grown more as a player," he said. "I will try to take on a leadership role, both for Sweden and Detroit. I'm not a rookie any more and must take responsibility."

However, Jerebko does not want to hog the limelight.

"I do not want any glory if we make it," he said. "It will be a team effort."

Will we see Sweden in Eurobasket soon?
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

hmmm gud luck for sweden!!
    sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

Jerebko won't play with Sweden this summer.
      Eighteen months after torn Achilles', Jerebko said he's "disappointed" that he won't be able to represent Sweden, but needs to focus on an offseason training regimen.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

Swedish NT Preliminary Roster (2013 Eurobasket)
        Link: http://iof1.idrottonline.se/SvenskaB...truppentillEM/

Challe Barton (PG, 1.91, 1992) – Oregon State (NCAA)
        Tobias Borg (PG, 1.83, 1993) – Södertälje Kings
        Ludvig Håkanson (PG, 1.87, 1996) – FC Barcelona B (ESP)
        Olivier Ilunga (PG, 1.85, 1984) – 08 Stockholm Human Rights
        Thomas Massamba (PG, 1.83, 1985) – PBK Academic Sofia (BUL)
        Jonathan Person (PG, 1.92, 1993) – 08 Stockholm Human Rights / Oettinger Rockets Gotha (GER)
        Kenny Grant Jr. (G, 1.88, 1982) – SLUC Nancy (FRA)
        Mikael Lindqvist (SG, 1.93, 1983) – Norrköping Dolphins
        Martin Pahlmblad (SG, 1.93, 1986) – Södertälje Kings
        Dino Pita (SG, 1.92, 1988) – Södertälje Kings
        Chris Czerapowicz (SG/SF, 1.99, 1991) – Davidson College (NCAA)
        Anton Gaddefors (SG/SF, 2.00, 1989) – Sundsvall Dragons
        Johan Jeansson (SG/SF, 1.97, 1985) – Uppsala Basket
        Erik Rush (SG/SF, 1.97, 1988) – Pallacanestro Varese (ITA)
        Jeffery Taylor (SG/SF, 2.01, 1989) – Charlotte Bobcats (NBA)
        Viktor Gaddefors (SF, 2.01, 1992) – Virtus Bolonha (ITA)
        Alex Lindqvist (SF, 2.03, 1991) – Södertälje Kings
        Anton Saks (SF, 2.00, 1989) – Norrköping Dolphins
        Jonas Jerebko (F, 2.08, 1987) – Detroit Pistons (NBA)
        Oluoma Nnamaka (F, 2.00, 1978) – Uppsala Basket
        Brice Massamba (PF/C, 2.08, 1988) – KK Brod (CRO) / Étoile sportive du Sahel (TUN)
        Jonathan Skjöldebrand (PF/C, 2.04, 1983) – Hapoel Tel-Aviv (ISR)
        Joakim Kjellbom (C, 2.14, 1979) – BC Armia Tbilisi (GEO) / Norrköping Dolphins
        Andreas Schreiber (C, 2.06, 1987) – Sundsvall Dragons / Vendée Challans Basket (FRA) / Plymouth Raiders (GBR)

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information