No announcement yet.

Sacramento Kings Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyreke Evans is not over-weight despite what the NBA Draft Express Team have claimed.

Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• Head coach Paul Westphal is also among the nominees for the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2012.

Former Suns Nominated for Hall of Fame
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Rookies Jimmer Fredette and Isaiah Thomas on the Goon Squad Classic Charity Exhibition Game that was organized by Donte Greene.

Sacramento Kings

Comment

• The corporate partner of the Sacramento Kings, Power Balance, have filed for bankruptcy.

Earlier this year, Power Balance signed a five year deal to have the right to be the primary label of the ARCO Arena, in which is now known as the Power Balance Pavilion.

In response, the Sacramento Kings Organization have released a Press Release Statement:

"We maintain close communications with Power Balance and are aware of their decision to file for voluntary protection available to them through the courts," the statement read. "They have been good partners since day one and are, understandably, taking steps to put the company in a position to continue innovation in the performance technology sector. They have assured us of their commitment to the Sacramento Kings and the surrounding community and we expect to continue our productive partnership through this process and into the future."
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

• A bit of a good news from the recent declaration of bankruptcy by the Power Balance LLC. The Kings Home Arena, Power Balance Pavilion will keep its namesake.
            Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Footages from the Goon Squad Classic (Tyreke, Jimmer & Donte)

EDIT:

Pictures from the Goon Squad Classic Game
              Last edited by CKR13; 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM.
              Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Star Tyreke Evans has signed with Italy's Virtus Roma. The contract has an out-clause on which Evans will return to the Kings when the lockout is resolved.

Italian team signs Kings' Tyreke Evans
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Evans signing in Europe took me by surprise but I look upon it with delight. For one, this is a learning curve for Evans where a change of basketball paradigm from the NBA into Europe will benefit Evans I believe.

I am most curious on how Evans will fare and how will his game adjust in European basketball. Lately, Evans has been touring the country and playing in various exhibition games while working out.

Playing for subsequently for Virtus Roma would be the best avenue to test if Evans has progressed with his jumpshot, on which he has been working hard on it during the summer and the duration of the lockout. The lanes are clogged and the defense is more on a team effort rather than the man to man in the NBA.

That scenario also will be a challenge for Evans wherein he has the dribbling skills to navigate on traffic and finish inside or under the basket with his array of shots. In the NBA, Evans can finish in traffic using his deceptive speed, upper body strength and handles that leads to a nifty creative shot that varies in percentage.

Overall, I will be watching games if Evans does play. He can learn in Europe the art of moving without the basketball instead of standing around and waiting for teammates to feed him the ball.

I would like for Evans to learn on the art of navigating the offense off-ball where he will learn the art of cutting for high percentage finishes and the art of catch-and-shoot.

Learning those facets on his game will improve his offensive efficiency overall. In the NBA, Evans waits most of the time for the feed so he can create via the isolation.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

• With the Owners and the Players reaching a Tentative Deal, the first order of business for the Sacramento Kings are:
                    • Re-sign Marcus Thornton.
                    • Sign the rookies Jimmer Fredette, Tyler Honeycutt and Isaiah Thomas Jr.
                    • Re-sign Samuel Dalembert to lighter contract if possible.
                    Sacramento Kings

Comment

• There is a high probability of Marcus Thornton will re-sign with the Sacramento Kings.

How The New CBA Helps The Kings Retain Marcus Thornton
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Since Dalembert is looking likely not to come back, the Kings may have to tap the unproven sophomore, Whiteside as a back-up center.

Meaning, the likes of Thompson and Cousins may see significant floor time at C.

Or we could go after free agent centers like Marc Gasol.
                        Sacramento Kings

Comment

• I expect the CBA to be ratified and the Kings would have to address player free agency issues.

Restricted: Marcus Thornton

Unrestricted: Samuel Dalembert, Marquis Daniels, Darnell Jackson, Pooh Jeter

It is expected that the Kings are interested in re-signing Marcus Thornton as Thornton was quite a steal from the New Orleans Hornets when Carl Landry was dealt. Thornton provided the much needed firepower that the Kings lacked prior to his arrival. The Kings last season had fourth quarter scoring meltdowns last season, with Evans hobbled by plantar fasciitis and the Kings lacking a Go-to-Guy that could score given the situation. Thornton provided that.

For Dalembert, his departure could be imminent and expected as the Kings are currently not talking about offering a fresh contract to him. Dalembert had good games in production for the Kings last season. Had double-doubles on both wins and losses; had an emerging cohesion with Demarcus Cousins; where both men were proving to be a force to be reckoned with inside.

If the Kings do not acquire a solid rebounding center, they will lose the inside presence that Dalembert provided on his one season stay. My preference is for the Kings to pursue atleast Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan.

If the Kings do not bring in an inside presence; Demarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson and sophomore Hassan Whiteside will see minutes at the center spot.

Marquis Daniels will not be brought back as he was acquired from the Celtics in order to adhere to the league's payroll minimum threshold. Darnell Jackson was a complimentary player to be signed as the Kings were intentionally keeping their payroll to a league low. Eugene "Pooh" Jeter would also not be brought back as rookie Jimmer Fredette and Isaiah Thomas Jr. would surely need playing time for development.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Sacramento Kings General Manager Geoff Petrie stated in an interview with ESPN Radio that he has made contact with the agents of Restricted Free Agent Marcus Thornton and Unrestricted Free Agent Samuel Dalembert.

Petrie said that the Kings are also expected to not use the Amnesty Clause.
                            Sacramento Kings

Comment

• The Sacramento Kings front office lead by General Manager Geoff Petrie has been working hard and double time as the NBA is back to business.

Petrie back working the phones

The Kings have been working the phones today, reaching out to the agents for their own free agents (Marcus Thornton, Samuel Dalembert), representatives for other players and talking with teams about trade possibilities.

Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie spoke with the media today about the Kings prospects in free agency. He said the team has $16-17 million to spend to reach the minimum salary level and another $8-9 million on top of that before the team would be at the salary cap.

That the Kings reached out to Thornton and Dalembert is no surprise. The Kings played their best when Thornton arrived in a trade from New Orleans in February, right around the time Dalembert began to play his best basketball of the season.

So the Kings could re-sign Thornton, Dalembert and still trade players to either upgrade the roster or create future cap space, or as Petrie put it: "Talent for talent or talent for salary cap issues."

You can expect the Kings to be active in pursuing players. The team has been anticipating this offseason, when they knew they'd have more salary cap space than any other team, as its chance to make big improvements and get closer to becoming a competitor in the Western Conference again.

Petrie said the Kings would not use the amnesty clause on any of the current Kings for financial relief. That is no surprise considering the Kings are so far under the cap.

As for bidding on players who are available via the amnesty clause, Petrie is taking the wait-and-see approach.

"I don't know," Petrie said. "I know who they are yet. And the system for how that's going to work hasn't been completely defined yet."

In more news:

*Petrie said Pete Carril would not be on the coaching staff this season. Carril serving as an advisor is still a possibility, but the travel that comes with coaching was too much for the 81 year-old coach.

"Coachie" was already not traveling on all trips last season, skipping the longer, multi-city stops.

*Petrie and coach Paul Westphal both discussed the hiring of Keith Smart as an assistant coach. Both said they were impressed with the job Smart did coaching the Warriors last season even though he was not retained.

"I was really impressed with the job he did last year," Westphal said. "Everyone that talks about him gives him the highest grades for his knowledge, work ethic and as a person."

While some teams weren't committing to hiring assistants during the lockout Westphal said "the commitment based on hiring him was worth it."

Westphal also discussed adding Bobby Jackson to the coaching staff.

"I just think it's a natural progression for him," Westphal said. "He's certainly at the stage of his life where he's ready to move into coaching. He's got the credentials, enthusiasm."

Jackson has worked in the Kings front office the previous two seasons since retiring from the NBA.

Jackson has been around the players and was a teammate of some of them.

"He's just a perfect fit in so many ways," Westphal said. "He does know our players and they respect he could probably still kick their butts."

Westphal's staff lasts season included Mario Elie, Truck Robinson and Otis Hughley and had more defined roles in that Robinson primarily worked with the post players. Only Jim

Eyen returns from last season.

Westphal said the titles aren't necessary this season.

"We'll divide the responsibility in an appropriate way," Westphal said. "All of our coaches can work with everybody."

*Scott Wissel joins the Kings as an advance scout. Wissel last worked for the Los Angeles Clippers. He's also worked for the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers, the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies, Milwaukee Bucks, and Kings.

Wissel replaces Bubba Burrage, who took a job with the Phoenix Suns.

*Petrie said another assistant coach could be added but adding a coach is not imminent.

*The Kings facility will be open to players Thursday but only Francisco Garcia and Hassan Whiteside are in town. Sounds like most players will be begin arriving this weekend and be in Sacramento in time for training camp Dec. 9.
                              -Sacramento Bee
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Firstly, I'd like to say I've always been and always will be a die-hard Kings fan! I bleed purple.

Next, I agree that Evans' deal with Roma will improve his game and it's a chance for him to get back on his form before the season starts on the 25th. I hope he has worked hard on his jumpshot over the summer, and if he has, the NBA might be taken by storm. Also, I hope Marcus Thornton will stay for us, and if he does, we'll have a great backcourt trio in Thornton, Evans, and Fredette. I actually wuld like to see us not resign Dalembert simply because we're clogged with bigmen that're younger than Samuel and have much more potental. If Cousins and Thompson get a good feel for each other, then they'll turn out to be a great pair of bigmen. Now, the possibilty of getting someone like Marc Gasol is definitely interesting but I don't see it happening because we're a small market town with a bad record the last few years. The trade for J.J. Hickson wasn't bad, but I think we could've gotten more out of Casspi if we traded another team. But acquiring Hickson wasn't bad at all. I'd also like to say this: Salmons being on our team is not a good fit and if he ballogs . . . With all this being said, here's how I'd like to see our starting five and bench to be -

PG - Thornton
                                SG - Evans
                                SF - Hickson
                                PF - Thompson
                                C - Cousins

BENCH:

Garcia
                                Fredette
                                Whiteside
                                Greene
                                Honeycut
                                Thomas
                                Salmons

Now, I hope Hickson can play at the three (I haven't seen him much so I really don't know...) because if he can't, then that'll leave two bigmen on the bench (Thompson being a very productive one in my eyes) and it would move Salmons, most likely, to the starting five.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information