Sacramento Kings Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guards, Guards and more Guards

After six summer league games, the Kings are still looking for guards to invite to training camp.

In the midst of developing rookie centers DeMarcus Cousins and Hassan Whiteside, and monitoring veteran forwards Omri Casspi and Donté Greene, the Kings looked for a guard or two to stand out.

"I think that nobody stood out as kicking down the door of opportunity," Kings head coach Paul Westphal said. "Let's put it that way."

The group of guards included Donald Sloan, who signed a non-guaranteed, one-year contract before summer league. It also featured Sylven Landesberg, Tyrese Rice, Devan Downey and Ryan Thompson, the younger brother of Kings forward Jason Thompson.

The Kings would like to add another point guard and another player with outside shooting ability.

Each had good moments, but none blew away the competition. Kings summer league coach Mario Elie said he liked how the players responded, knowing they weren't the focus of summer league.

"We're going to get back as a coaching staff in September and see who to bring in," Elie said. "A lot of evaluating, but I love my guys."

Westphal watched each game and said with a chuckle, "Nobody's really a threat to be (a) starter alongside Tyreke (Evans) from the group."

Westphal said statistics wouldn't be the deciding factor as to whether any of the players return for training camp.

"I think all of them had an opportunity to show what they can do," Westphal said. "And you understand that sometimes shots go and sometimes they don't. But we look for things like quickness and court awareness and form and confidence."
    Sacramentobee

Westphal has a keen eye and a discerning one. Assistant Coaches Shareef Abdur Rahim and Mario Elie gave good remarks for R.Thompson, Rice and Landesberg but apparently Westphal was hardly pleased, unlike last year when Evans was playing.

My choice would be:

Tyrese Rice
    Rajon Rondo mold of player, but has better 3pt shooting out of Boston U.

Sylven Landesberg
    An aggressive SG, always looking to slash but lacks the athleticism that Kevin Martin had nor the shooting that Francisco Garcia brings. Still, his upside is good.

Ryan Thompson
    Defensive Guard. 6'6 220 like that of the physique of Xavier Henry. Limited on the offensive end but is very physical on defense.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

It was a sign and trade. Center/Forward Jon Brockman was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Darnell Jackson.

I will be missing Brockman's hustle and blue collar work ethic. In exchange we have a 6'9 Shooting Forward that has a soft touch on the perimeter and often he can drain that wide open three.
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
        It was a sign and trade. Center/Forward Jon Brockman was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Darnell Jackson.

I will be missing Brockman's hustle and blue collar work ethic. In exchange we have a 6'9 Shooting Forward that has a soft touch on the perimeter and often he can drain that wide open three.
        maybe they want to address their problem at the wing by getting jackson, the 4/5 position is pretty loaded with thompson, landry, dalembert with 2 rookies in cousins and whiteside.. they only have casspi, garcia and greene plus evans at the wing prior to the arrival of jackson..but i am disappointed that they were not able to fish a point guard..felton goes to nyk and ridnour landed to minesotta..they only have udrih at the point sometimes evans..
        ""failure is not the end but just the beginning of a victorious journey..just keep on dreaming and we will be back on the olympics''''

Comment

Originally posted by mayfel View Post
          maybe they want to address their problem at the wing by getting jackson, the 4/5 position is pretty loaded with thompson, landry, dalembert with 2 rookies in cousins and whiteside.. they only have casspi, garcia and greene plus evans at the wing prior to the arrival of jackson..but i am disappointed that they were not able to fish a point guard..felton goes to nyk and ridnour landed to minesotta..they only have udrih at the point sometimes evans..
          At the wing, Casspi and Greene are sufficient and Darnell Jackson is not much of a wing man as he lacks the mobility and dribbling skills needed. The Kings were not active on free agency this summer as the Maloofs, Westphal and Petrie has confident in Udrih, Garcia and Evans on the PG spot but Tyrese Rice could be the pure point the Kings are looking for.

The Kings made no move on free agency as next year, it is decision time for several players regarding their contracts.
          Sacramento Kings

Comment

wright to sign with the kings

""failure is not the end but just the beginning of a victorious journey..just keep on dreaming and we will be back on the olympics''''

Comment

wright and pooh jeter joined sacramento

Comment

Antoine Wright signing came as a surprise.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Starting line-up next season could be:

Thompson
                  Cousins
                  Casspi
                  Evans
                  Udrih
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

Thompson
                    Cousins
                    Casspi
                    Evans
                    Udrih
                    i would assume that's the starting line-up as well... What will decide this is if indeed Cousins is NBA-ready. i like the fact that he can slide to PF-C at ease and will put Landry as the primary big off the bench.

Evans at 2 is something i question though. On offense he can be effective at it but defensively he gets abused by pure SGs--- which is what happened entire year long last season...
                    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                      Evans at 2 is something i question though. On offense he can be effective at it but defensively he gets abused by pure SGs--- which is what happened entire year long last season...
                      The only player that fit that description is JJ Redick

Evans was not a total patsy against the NBA premiere SG's of Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson and John Salmons and middle tier SG's of the NBA like JJ Redick or James Harden. On the contrary, he abused a lot of big names.

I can only think of one game where Tyreke Evans was overwhelmed by a pure SG and that was against Kobe Bryant who scored 39 points against the Kings on late December; second of four meetings on the regular season by the Kings -Lakers. But on regular season game 3, Tyreke Evans had 22 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists while Kobe had 26 points.

Evans also fared well against Michael Redd and Manu Ginobili, able to sustain his 20-5-5 performance.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

The only player that fit that description is JJ Redick

Evans was not a total patsy against the NBA premiere SG's of Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson and John Salmons and middle tier SG's of the NBA like JJ Redick or James Harden. On the contrary, he abused a lot of big names.

I can only think of one game where Tyreke Evans was overwhelmed by a pure SG and that was against Kobe Bryant who scored 39 points against the Kings on late December; second of four meetings on the regular season by the Kings -Lakers. But on regular season game 3, Tyreke Evans had 22 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists while Kobe had 26 points.

Evans also fared well against Michael Redd and Manu Ginobili, able to sustain his 20-5-5 performance.
                        BUT in the long-run you are asking too much from him. Not only will he carry the team offensively but will be a primary defender on the other team's premier perimeter player as well. Sure he can do it but you got to give him help (signing a defensive wing player with a three point shot should do the trick)
                        If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                          BUT in the long-run you are asking too much from him. Not only will he carry the team offensively but will be a primary defender on the other team's premier perimeter player as well. Sure he can do it but you got to give him help (signing a defensive wing player with a three point shot should do the trick)
                          Definitely we are asking so much from him as he is the franchise player and he will need to sustain the offensive and defensive load if he wants to be at par with his rookie-laden categorists of Oscar Robertson.

We came close to dealing Demarcus Cousins and Samuel Dalembert for Tayshaun Prince. Prince would have fit the bill of a wing defender and 3 point range shooter. But, Petrie after much thinking, shot the trade down and instead is focusing on Donte Greene on developing him into a defensive SF at 6'11. It was clear when Petrie asked Greene to focus on defense during the summer league.

If Greene cannot develop into that product, Tyreke Evans would just pick up the slack and hope that team defense will hold.
                          Last edited by CKR13; 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Thompson
                            Cousins
                            Casspi
                            Evans
                            Udrih
                            i think thompson and cousins will be coming of the bench so the first five will be

c dalembert
                            f landry
                            f casspi
                            g evans
                            g udrih

Comment

i think thompson and cousins will be coming of the bench so the first five will be

c dalembert
                              f landry
                              f casspi
                              g evans
                              g udrih
                              I agree. and I think this lineup is better to start the season with Cousins taking over the starting C position by year's end.

Comment

c dalembert
                                f landry
                                f casspi
                                g evans
                                g udrih
                                There is a chance that Carl Landry will start but Samuel Dalembert? I don't think so. If Dalembert can return to his 05 form of shot-blocking, man to man paint defense and defensive rebounding maybe but I doubt it. I'd rather have Jason Thompson starting as Thompson is agile and nimble and was effective on Paul Westphal's Forward-Dive and High-Pick-and-Roll offensive sets late last season.
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information