Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From prfu.com

Kicking Off the New Year 01/11/2011

Our Philippines Rugby community spans the entire globe and I would firstly like to take this opportunity to wish everyone, wherever you are, a very happy and successful 2011.

The outstanding achievements of all our national teams in 2010 certainly caught the attention of local and international press. You can read about them in Ruck and Maul with highlights including:
    • Men’s A5N Div II Champions
    • Men’s ARFU 7s Bowl Finalists (Shanghai & Borneo)
    • Men’s U20 A5N Div II Champions
    • Women’s International 15s debut with win
    • Women’s 7s Div B Winners on debut (Guangzhou)

On the local front we have seen an expansion at both the junior and senior levels. Thanks to the generosity of our benefactors, sponsorships were also at an all time high. There has also been a concerted effort to increase the involvement of national Filipinos at the player, coach and Board level. We received glowing feedback from the International Rugby Board (IRB), the Asian Rugby Football Union (ARFU) and the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) regarding our rugby programs.

The growth of Philippines Rugby in the international arena has not gone unnoticed. In fact, at the IRB General Congress in Dublin, the PRFU were put forward as the model nation of how to develop rugby. The bulk of the praise here of course goes to our General Manager, Matthew Cullen. With his relentless efforts, the PRFU are a well respected rugby nation being a full member of the IRB. Along with his small team of employees and helpers, the PRFU will no doubt continue its rise on the local and international stage.

Wallabies National Head Coach, Robbie Deans, is fond of saying, “rugby is a simple game; all you need are a few volunteers”. I guess what he’s trying to say is that, for our game to flourish what we need are people dedicated to the task at hand. From a playing perspective, we need players who are willing to give it everything they’ve got and from a management perspective we need people who will promote our game at all levels of society.

In 2011, apart from winning every single game possible, I would like us all to focus on just one thing; LET’S TALK MORE RUGBY!! Whether you are a national player or a volunteer helping with a junior team, we can all play our part in promoting this great game of ours.

How can we do this you ask? Well here are a few tips:

• If you know the rules, volunteer to coach
    • If you are organised, start a local club
    • If you are a player, bring new friends to training
    • If you can’t play, volunteer to referee
    • If you are a coach, learn more about the game
    • If you are a fan, watch more and talk more rugby
    • If you have the financial means, sponsor a team
    • If you live overseas, find Filipino players in your area

My dream would be to see a fully developed school, university and club competition within a few years. We all have the chance to build a sustainable rugby future for the generations to come. What a great legacy that would be. Please give it some serious consideration and volunteer some of your precious time and efforts to the PRFU. “Rugby is a simple game; all you need are a few volunteers”.
    Can I just add a few parting words to our men and women who will represent us at the national level. This year, the competition for places within the team and the quality of our opposition will rise dramatically. This will help raise our standards both on and off the field. Wayne Bennett (arguably the greatest Rugby League coach) always inspired his players to achieve their true potential within the team and in their life outside sport. So train like you’ve never trained before, look after your studies, work, family and friends like never before. Your off-field efforts will translate to on-field successes.

Team sport is a school of virtue. When played in the right spirit it will teach us many life-lessons. Rugby is no exception. Let’s all talk more rugby this year to everyone around us. Let’s challenge ourselves to be the best person we can possibly be both on and off the field. Best wishes to everyone for 2011.
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by obama2008 View Post
      First Dragons Challenge match of 2011: Low Flying Dragons 10 Cebu Dragons 0
      by Cebu Dragons Rugby Club on Monday, 24 January 2011 at 16:51
      Low Flying Dragons 10 Cebu Dragons 0

The first Dragons Challenge match of 2011 was played in an absolute downpour at the Aboitiz Field Saturday night.

Whilst the conditions suited the bigger and heavier Low Flyers forwards, the Black Dragons never gave up, tackling like demons and making the Low Flyers fight for every inch of turf (or lake as it became).

From the kick off the Low Flyers tried to use their bigger forwards to drive up the pitch, however a combination of the wet ball and over ambitious passes in the conditions meant errors were made giving the Dragons the chance to attack.
      Again the conditions meant that the pace of the likes of skipper Noel Flowers and centre Lester Loma were somewhat nullified. They corrected this by resorting to such things as quick line-out throws and using the boot mainly from guest stand –off John Santos, whose clever kick and chase tactics forced the Low Flyers onto the back foot.

However the Low Flyers got their act together and started to dominate at scrum time through the father and son double act

of props Bob and Cam Booth aided by returning locks Geoff Thomas and Henri Lelorme. Although scrum - half Jerry Branzuela tried all his tricks to slow the Low Flyers momentum, the pressure told in the second half with centre Matt Aspegren finally breaking through to score the first try.

The Black Dragons tried to fight back again through the kick and chase of John Santos who was obstructed during his chase which resulted in a penalty 10 metres out from the Low Flyers line. Through resolute defence the Low Flyers held out and forced their way back down the other end of the park to camp on the Dragons 5 metre line.

The final score came from a 5 metre line-out which was unfortunately tapped back by the Dragons and not dealt with cleanly resulting in scrum-half Frenchman, Johan nipping through to touch down to make the end score 10-0.

However a fine match by both teams given the conditions at Lake Aboitiz and a very promising start to the Cebu club’s year.

article by Phil Mounsey
      I guess that guy got confused. John Santos there is actually referring to me, Jon Morales. Happened to be in Cebu for a business trip and asked flowers if they had a game.

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
        I guess that guy got confused. John Santos there is actually referring to me, Jon Morales. Happened to be in Cebu for a business trip and asked flowers if they had a game.
        hehehe I hope you had fun... rain and rugby is a great combination... I've seen a lot of great rugby played during the rain here in NZ.. the rain and the heat are additional weapons for the Volcanoes against visiting opponents during international matches here.. just like South Africa's Springboks using the high altitude in one of their stadiums.. New Zealand using the windy conditions in the capital..

sigpic

Comment

Rugby widens its reach
          THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco (The Philippine Star) Updated February 07, 2011 12:00 AM

2010 was the most successful year for the Philippine Rugby Football Union (PRFU). Not only has the Philippines ascended to the highest level of Asian rugby competition, it has also been able to send a women’s 7s team and a women’s 15s team to international competitions, where they have acquitted themselves very well.

From the 5th to 16th centuries, many local ball games were played in different parts of Europe. These games in the middle ages were called folk football, mob football or Shrovetide football. They were similar to fiesta or town festival games played here, wherein one community would invite its neighbors to friendly matches. In those days, however, there was no specific number of players or even a limit to the members of a team. Squads would simply fight to move an inflated pig’s bladder by any means necessary to pre-set markers at each end of town. In years to come, authorities – mostly based in bigger cities – would later attempt to prohibit such dangerous games.

The popular (albeit unproven) story about rugby union’s original centers on William Webb Ellis, who in 1823, “with fine disregard for the rules of football as played in his time at Rugby school, first took the ball in his arms and ran with it, thus originating the distinctive feature of the Rugby game”. This story, largely anecdotal, gained a life of its own throughout the United Kingdom to the point that the international committee named the Rugby World Cup the “William Webb Ellis Trophy”. All this, of course, took place before football (or soccer as it is more commonly known to those of us outside Europe) branched off into its different permutations.

Here in the Philippines, soccer was king in early Spanish times, as it was imported by our colonizers. Gradually, it infiltrated colleges and universities, until its peak in the 1950’s. Slowly, it waned in popularity until basketball, buoyed by television, became the country’s passion in the 1980’s. Rugby union was largely unknown, played by pockets of expats in different parts of Metro Manila. For the most part, it has been kept alive by independent groups like the Nomads and a few international schools. An international tournament is played in Angeles every year to benefit the street children of Bahay Bata, supported by the Rotary Club of Clark Centennial.

About two decades ago, rugby was becoming the sport of choice by Filipinos who had grown up in Commonwealth states. It was taught in their schools, and they benefited from being bigger than average. The initial Philippine teams were made mostly of foreigners, until, over the last few years, Fil-foreigners started expressing their nationalistic bent and suited up for the country. In the last few seasons, pure-blooded Filipinos have learned the game well enough to represent the country. In the last five years, the Philippines has climbed a notch every year until in 2010, we made it to Level One in Asia,

“Rugby is a sport where Filipinos have done well, and can be among the world’s best,” explains Matt Cullen, national coach and program head of the PRFU. “The last few years alone have shown how much progress we can make if we set our minds to it and get the support.”

With the Southeast Asian games this year, the PRFU is looking at a very busy year, along with the other international and invitational events already slated starting this month.

“The Philippines Rugby Football Union are gearing up for another exciting year of developing the sport of Rugby Union here in the Philippines and attending several Asian Championships in 2011,” Cullen elaborates. “This will culminate with the SEA Games in Indonesia in November. The last time the Philippines played Rugby 7s at SEA Games events, we won the silver medal in Thailand in 2007 and the gold medal in the Philippines in 2005.”

The National Women’s 7s team has also been invited to compete in the world-renowned Hong Kong 7s international tournament this running March 24 and 25. But the campaigns begin in earnest as the Philippine national developmental team takes on Sabah Regional in Kota Kinabalu.

After the Hong Kong 7s, the Philippine national men’s team challenges Hong Kong at the Rizal Memorial Stadium on April 14 and 16. Then, the most important tournament follows, as the men join the Asian 5 Nations (A5N) Division 1 Championship in Seoul, South Korea. Korea, Malaysia and Singapore make up the tough field.

What makes rugby exciting is that there’s a lot of action, it’s a physical game, and strategy is just as important as physical preparation. In one’ year’s time, we’ve been able to form a competitive women’s team, though the men are undeniably reaping the rewards of having years of experience behind them. For this year, our women’s teams will gain experience against their rivals in this part of the world. Invitational tournament will also be of great help, since many club teams from other Southeast Asian countries usually count national players among their members. Perhaps, the only thing we may need on the women’s sides is a little more size, since taller players often end up playing volleyball or basketball.

With the help of a few more sponsors, rugby union will have a strong, stable future. We already have the material, the players just need a little more nurturing and experience.
          Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

From gmanews.tv.

Pinoy street kids to be part of PHL Volcanoes Rugby Union Squad. http://www.gmanews.tv/video/73825/24...ine-rugby-team

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

Philippines Bow to Sabah in a Tough, Physical Encounter
              The Philippine National Development traveled to Kota Kinabalu to play their first ever International Rugby 15s match against the Sabah Regional Representative team. This was always going to be a close, hard game and it became very obvious on arrival at the Kota Kinabalu Hostel,where both teams were staying, that Sabah were out to win the game on their home soil. A majority of the Sabah Team have already played International Matches for the Malaysian Mens' team and they entered the game with both a size and experience advantage over the Philippine Team which had 12 players playing their first ever International game.

The game certainly had all the intensity that you would expect of an International Rugby Match and both teams held nothing back as they smashed into the first 20 minutes with some fierce tackles being made from both sides. The Philippines were led by some seasoned campaigners with Noel Flowers Jon Morales, Chris Hettel, Kit Guerra, John Odulio, David Carman and Daniel Melrose having all played for a Filipino Team in past games. These players certainly led the less experienced newcomers with passion and skill.

After 18 minutes, the Philippines were able to pin the Sabah Team in their own 22 meter zone. With John Odulio having a strong game in the second row and winning all his lineouts, the ball went wide to David Carman and he decided to take his opponent on the outside, David immediately outclassed his opposition and ran in to score the opening try of the game, this was converted by the Philippine Team Captain John Morales to take the lead 7 - 0.

It wasn't long before the Sabah Team fought back and the Philippines Fullback, Noel "Daisy" Flowers, pulled off two try saving tackles to stop the Sabah boys from crossing the line in the second 20 minute period. Throughout this period, Sabah had the field advantage and the Philippines made some crucial errors in their quarter to put themselves under pressure, this directly led to Sabah swooping on a dropped pass and they scored just before halftime to take the score to 7 - 5.

The Sabah team came out firing in the third period and quickly scored to take a 12 - 7 lead and they started to use their size advantage in the forwards to control possession. Unfortunately for the Philippines, Kit Guerra had to leave the field with an ankle injury and he was replaced by Warren Carman who was playing his first game for the Philippines with his older brother David. At this point, the Philippines' two 17 year old forwards on the field, Daniel Melrose and Warren Carman, proved their worth as they showed a huge amount of courage and heart; playing in a heated contest with much bigger and more experienced men all around them.

Comment

Originally posted by dxjayrock2008 View Post
                Pinoy street kids to be part of PHL Volcanoes Rugby Union Squad. http://www.gmanews.tv/video/73825/24...ine-rugby-team

hehehehe...these street kids are accustom to it already...
                they are doing "rugby" since "12". i always see them in the streets with these!...
                they literally live and breate "rugby"
                i am 100% confident that this endevour will succeed!...

THIS IS A VERY GOOD PROPOSAL!!!
                Last edited by kikomatsing; 03-03-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Some quick notes I have on the Volcanos...got all the scoring stats from what I found online in an excel sheet and plan on keeping it up in hte future...

International test matches:
                  First test match: 20 May 2006 vs. Guam, W 18-14
                  Record: 8-2
                  PF-PA: 311-105
                  Tries For-Against: 42-12
                  Won last 6 matches overall
                  Leading scorer: FB/FH Oliver Saunders 72 pts (4 tries, 14 cons, 8 pens)
                  Most tries: W Matthew Saunders, 8
                  First points: Try by L Dean Nelson, vs. Guam 20 May 2006, 14th minute
                  Most caps: I do not have complete information on appearances made
                  Captains:
                  Romain Barberis, 4 game (2006-07)
                  Michael Letts, 6 games (2008-present)

If anyone wants my excel sheet, PM an email to me and I'll gladly send what I have.
                  My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                  1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                  1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                  1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                  1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                  1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                  1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                  1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Hong Kong Sevens is right around the corner!

Play begins Friday March 25 starting with the womens matches.
                    Here is the womens schedule:

Debut teams include Russia, Chinese Taipei, and the Philippines!

Mens:
                    Cathay/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens is the iconic sports and entertainment event in the city. 3 days of action, entertainment and electric energy.

Disappointed the Philippines mens 7s didn't get an invite, but there is stiff competition and this tournament has a lot more points up for grab in the world series.

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Philippine Rugby Football Union (PRFU)
                      Phil Women's 7s Team beats Chinese Taipei 24-10, claims 9th spot overall in their first outing at the HK Women's Sevens 2011. Good effort ladies, we're all proud of you!!!
                      v. Netherlands 0-56
                      v. France 0-66
                      v. China 0-53
                      v. Hong Kong 7-47

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• how do i go to Merville's Nomads field? Test matches will be held there on the 16th!
                        you know why I am happy

Comment

• PRFU.com
                          Philippines to host IRB-sanctioned Test Match vs. Hong Kong
                          04/04/2011
                          In preparation for their respective Asian 5 Nations bids, the national Men's 15s teams of Hong Kong and the Philippines will face each other in an IRB-sanctioned test match on Saturday, April 16 at the Nomad Sports Club, Paranaque City.

PRFU Consultant, Matt Cullen said, "This is the team's chance to step up their game for the Philippines' upcoming debut in Division 1 of the Asian 5 Nations in June 2011. Being able to compete against Hong Kong, which is in the Premier Division of the A5N, will definitely bring many positives to our team's training. We plan to take full advantage of this opportunity."

The teams will play a trial match on Thursday, April 14 at the International School Manila. The main match on Saturday will be preceded by a trial game by the Philippine National Under16s Team.
                          Attached Files

Statistics Wish List:

Comment

• Originally posted by usausa View Post
                            PRFU.com
                            Philippines to host IRB-sanctioned Test Match vs. Hong Kong
                            04/04/2011
                            In preparation for their respective Asian 5 Nations bids, the national Men's 15s teams of Hong Kong and the Philippines will face each other in an IRB-sanctioned test match on Saturday, April 16 at the Nomad Sports Club, Paranaque City.

PRFU Consultant, Matt Cullen said, "This is the team's chance to step up their game for the Philippines' upcoming debut in Division 1 of the Asian 5 Nations in June 2011. Being able to compete against Hong Kong, which is in the Premier Division of the A5N, will definitely bring many positives to our team's training. We plan to take full advantage of this opportunity."

The teams will play a trial match on Thursday, April 14 at the International School Manila. The main match on Saturday will be preceded by a trial game by the Philippine National Under16s Team.

Go Volcanoes! Show 'em whatchagot!

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• From prfu.com

PRFU names Under-18 squad to compete in the ARFU Asian Rugby U-18 Division 1 Championship
                              04/11/2011

On Saturday, 9 April, the PRFU announced the players who will comprise the team that will compete in the ARFU Asian Rugby Under-18 Division 1 Championship in Taiwan on April 14 and 17.

Complete list of team members and coaching staff are as follows:

Arlan Parry
                              Colin O'Brien
                              Daniel Melrose - Captain
                              Fergus Mitra
                              Gio Orbos
                              Hyung Jun Kim
                              Isaac Olson
                              Jake Batuhan
                              Joshua Herrmann
                              Joshua Lee
                              Kevin Koh
                              Krysten Gandhi
                              Kyle Sutherland
                              Micah Liu
                              Paul Lee
                              Ross Barnaby Mcleod
                              Ryan Paul Stewart
                              Scott Lee Sandaga
                              Warren Carman
                              Yusuke Fukuyama
                              Zach Taylor
                              Merick Magdaraog

Coaching Staff:
                              Evans Atandi - Head Coach
                              Marcus Skeen - Asst. Coach
                              Steve Melrose - Team Manager
                              Sarah Mcleod - Asst. Team Manager
                              Rico Barin - Physiotherapist
                              Todd Stewart - Asst. Physiotherapist

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

• PH squads qualify for Asian Rugby Division 1

abs-cbnNEWS.com
                                Posted at 04/11/2011 6:40 PM | Updated as of 04/11/2011 6:40 PM

Members of the Philippine Under-18 Rugby Team due to compete in the Asian 5 Nations Division I Championship. MANILA, Philippines – The country’s Men’s and Under-18 (U-18) rugby squads qualified for the HSBC Asian 5 Nations Division I Championship.
                                The Philippine U-18 team is set to compete against rugby squads from Korea, Singapore and Malaysia in Chinese Taipei this Wednesday.
                                The U-18 squad is made up of:
                                • · Issac Olson
                                • · Joshua Lee
                                • · Yuske Fukayama
                                • · Gio Orbos
                                • · Warren Carman
                                • · Zach Taylor
                                • · Joshua Harmann
                                • · Daniel Melrose
                                • · Krysten Gandhi
                                • · Jake Batuhan
                                • · Paul Lee
                                • · Micah Liu
                                • · Ryan Paul Stewart
                                • · Scot Samwill
                                • · Lee Sandaga
                                • · Merick Robyn Magaraog
                                • · Colin O'Brien
                                • · Ross Barnaby McLeod
                                • · Kyle Sutherland
                                • · Micah Z. Liu

They will be coached by Marcus Skeen, Evans Atandi and Matt Cullen.
                                The Philippine Men’s rugby team, on the other hand, Filipino squad is due battle their Division 1 counterparts in May.
                                The Men’s rugby team won a Division 1 qualification after defeating regional powerhouse, India last year.
                                Division 1 is just a level below the main category of the HSBC Asian 5 Nations.
                                Asian 5 Nations is an annual international rugby union competition held between the top five Asian national rugby sides, namely, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates.
                                Rugby union is a full contact team sport similar to American football.
                                It is played with an oval-shaped ball on a field up to 100 meters long and 70 meters with H-shaped goal posts on each goal line. -- With a report from Boyet Sison, ANC

Road To Rio 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information