Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korea fight back to win Shanghai Sevens

(IRB.COM) Sunday 28 August 2011

Korea's Kim Gwong Min dives over to score the winning try in the final against Hong Kong in sudden death extra time at the Shanghai Sevens

Korea fought back from a surprising pool loss against Philippines on day one to capture their third consecutive Shanghai Sevens title after edging Hong Kong 22-17 with a try in sudden-death extra time.
    Kim Gwong Min scored the winning try to complete a hat-trick in the final and also claim the title of Most Valuable Player.
    In winning the Shanghai title, Korea take an early lead from runners-up Hong Kong in the 2011 HSBC Asian Sevens Series.
    “Our performance improved after day one and we had a good review after losing to the Philippines. We were able to come back and defeat China in front of their home crowd and reach the final where we had as good a chance as Hong Kong," said Korea captain Yoon Tae-Il.
    "It is fair to say that Hong Kong was the in-form team of the tournament but we looked across in the second half and when we were exhausted we could see they were exhausted too. It gave us the lift to come back.”
    Korea also enters the history books as the first tournament winners of the new HSBC Asian Sevens Series, launched this year. It was also the first win for Korea in the Yuanshen Stadium in Shanghai, which hosted the event for the first time in 2011.
    “I don't know what the secret is for us in Shanghai to win three in a row,” added Yoon.
    “We feel really comfortable playing here after our success of the last two years. Maybe it is because they have very good kimchi in China just like we make in Korea! Whatever the reason, I am very happy to lead the team to success and to defend our title.”
    Having looked the team to beat for much of the tournament, Hong Kong National Coach Dai Rees was philosophical after the final: “It is disappointing of course to lose in extra time but I am pleased with the way we were able to gel as a team and to reach the final in the first tournament of the season - we will use this loss as motivation as we prepare for Borneo.
    "The good thing is that the new lads fitted into the squad very well and there is now great depth in our squad and some fierce competition for places in Borneo.”
    Japan beat Kazakhstan 26-7 to take third place overall, while China took the Plate, beating Malaysia 31-7.
    In the women's tournament, China beat reigning Asian Games Sevens champions Kazakhstan 19-10 to take the title.
    The next event in the HSBC Asian Sevens Series is the Borneo Sevens in Kota Kinabalu, East Malaysia on 24-25 September where Hong Kong are the reigning champions.
    Further Series events will be held in Bangkok, Thailand and Goa, India in November 2011.
    Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

• Philippine Rugby Football Union (PRFU)

Great news! U14s Jr Volcanoes just beat HK select 60-0!!! Good job boys, keep it up!
      Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

• our new recruit for our NATIONAL RUGBY TEAM!...

ITS MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES!
        378755_224427867643237_201871806565510_565839_1818387037_n.jpg

Comment

• The Philippine Rugby Football Union are proud to announce that the Philippine National Men’s 7s Rugby team has received its invitation from the International Rugby Board to compete in the world’s largest rugby sevens tournament, the Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens.

2198781.jpg
          Scheduled on March 23-25, 2012 at the Hong Kong Stadium (capacity 40,000) the Hong Kong 7s is a by-invitation-only tournament attended by the top sevens teams in the world like New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and England. It is considered the premier leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series played in Australia, Dubai, South Africa, New Zealand, USA, Japan, Scotland and England. Sevens Rugby, which plays seven men per team on the field, is a faster, more exciting version of Rugby Union which plays 15 men per side.

It was the Philippine Volcanoes’ Silver-medal winning performance at the Borneo 7s held in September 2011, which merited the invitation to this prestigious tournament. Ranked 7th in a field of 12 teams, the Volcanoes, led by Men’s 7s Captain, Jake Letts, guided by National, Coach Matt Cullen and Assistant, Noel Flowers, surprised everyone by beating their highly-regarded rivals one by one, finishing second only to Asia’s number one-ranked Japan.

“This invitation to the Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens marks a milestone in the history of the Union” says PRFU President, Alvin San Diego. “It’s a testament to the hard work of our players, coaches and supporters and more importantly, proof that Filipinos can excel in the sport of Rugby.”

you know why I am happy

Comment

• Originally posted by kgi View Post
            our new recruit for our NATIONAL RUGBY TEAM!...

ITS MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3750[/ATTACH]
            Ahahaha.
            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

• Nice to see ya'll are still keeping up. Our pool for HK7s has been announced (just quickly browsed the thread so didn't see if it's already been posted). We have Spain, Canada, and Zimbabwe in our pool. The format of HK7s is changed this year with the 24 teams being broken down into 2 tiers: the 12 core countries and 12 second tier nations (Volcanoes among them). The top 3 from the second tier will be granted core country status and automatically qualify for every World Series 7s event next year (Las Vegas, Auckland, Adelaide, Dubai, etc.,).

We're also hosting the A5N div 1 tournament this year and this year it's a round robin tournament rather than the knockout format of last year, so we'll be playing 3 matches on home soil (and hopefully televised on broadcast tv) in April. Tickets are likely only going to be 50 pesos for entry for all of the matches (PRFU wanted it to be free but PSC said we had to sell tickets for purposes of stadium entry control so we're setting it as cheap as possible).

Look for the A5N expanded squad (35 players) to be released today. That team will be cut down to 24 players that will compete in the tournament.

also usausa saw in another thread you play for North Quincy? I grew up in Quincy Center. Went to BC High, that's where I started playing rugby and I was captain of the very first eagles team to win New Englands. My best friend still lives in North and I drop by every time I go back to the States to visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by madman View Post
                also usausa saw in another thread you play for North Quincy? I grew up in Quincy Center. Went to BC High, that's where I started playing rugby and I was captain of the very first eagles team to win New Englands. My best friend still lives in North and I drop by every time I go back to the States to visit.
                Yes, played for the first teams at NQ. Started play in 2009, I graduated in 2010. Have great respect for BC High program, always get great numbers, play with grat intensity, discipline, and skill. I think last year NQ went up to practice with BC High (B's most likely). I don't know if you are aware now that there is a state run rugby organization. There has been a state tournament te past two years. BC High first participated last year, lost to St. John's Prep in the Division 1 Cup final 12-10. They beat Bishop Hendricken (RI) 38-14 and Lincoln-Sudbury 20-0. It's a one day tournament, played 10 minute halves I believe. Rugby is big on the South Shore/Southern Mass now, schools like Scituate, Brookline, Milton all have teams now among many others.
                My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

• the lads has just lost against Canada and Spain, the score line wasn't bad. Tough luck on them, we'll get a W on the Zimbabweans tomorrow
                  you know why I am happy

Comment

• oh man we lost to PREP?!

damn unlucky for us (Volcanoes) that we had Canada and Spain in our group, they ended up finishing 1 and 2 in the tier and qualifying for core country status for next years seven world series. Watched it streaming (wasn't selected) and we looked competitive, even in the canada game where the scoreline was lopsided (they killed us on restarts, their kicker was hanging kicks up that landed right on the ten). Zimbabwe beat us in a heartbreaker on the final play . Our national team definitely has the quality to compete at that level though and we should get back there next year.

Comment

• Philippines beats Singapore 37 : 20 in their 1st game of the Division 1 asian 5 nations championship last april15... next games: taiwan (april 18) then Sri Lanka (april 21)

Philippines moves up 10 places from 72 now 62 in IRB rankings..

The official site of World Rugby the governing body of Rugby Union with news, tournaments, fixtures, results, world rugby rankings, statistics, video, the Laws of the game, governance and contacts.

The Volcanoes are the National Rugby Team of the Philippines

Achievements:

MEN's 15s
                      Division 1 Asian 5 Nations 2011
                      CHAMPIONS Div 2 Asian 5 Nations 2010
                      CHAMPIONS Div 3 Asian 5 Nations 2009
                      CHAMPIONS Div 4 Asian 5 Nations 2008

MEN's 7s
                      SILVER Borneo 7s Asian 7s Series 2011
                      SILVER South East Asian Games 2007
                      GOLD South East Asian Games 2005

MEN's UNDER 20s
                      CHAMPIONS Div 2 Asian Jr Rugby 2010
                      CHAMPIONS Div 2 Asian Jr Rugby 2009

WOMEN's 7s
                      WINNERS Asian Women's 7s Div B 2010

Comment

• Hi sir Madman, when did we get our rankings?
                        you know why I am happy

Comment

• Boys are off to Moscow, 2013 Rugby World Cup 7's

Only six years after fielding their first sevens team in international competition, the Philippines makes history by qualifying for the Rugby World Cup Sevens.

Entering the World Cup qualifying tournament ranked 7th after the three Asian ranking tournaments (6th, considering that Chinese Taipei did not participate in Singapore) the boys from the Philippines fancied their chances to live the dream of securing a Rugby World Cup Sevens spot.

The Philippines first game was against Guam and our nearby "cousins" had not been on the Asian circuit for a couple of years. They were to be reckoned with though as they had narrowly missed out on qualifying for the HK Sevens in 2010, and although they had been blitzed by Hong Kong in the first game of the tournament, they did manage to score a try against the tournament favourites.

you know why I am happy

Comment

• match day against Japan tomorrow, im not expecting a win but an upset ill be very nice for the lads out there. We haven't met Japan in any 15's competition (while Korea in Div 1 and HK in a friendly have been our past opponents) so I'd say our chances are not in anyway bright.
                            you know why I am happy

Comment

• Filipino Rugby stars Chris Everingham and Andrew Wolff organized an event called "Amazing Pinoy Fun Run" held last May 25 at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig. READ MORE.
                              Servinio's FACEBOOK Fan Club
                              Servinio's Blog of Sports
                              Servinio's Official YouTube channel
                              Servinio's Official TWITTER account
                              Servinio's Official Instagram account

Comment

• is there a tv sched for rwc 7's?
                                you know why I am happy

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information