View Poll Results: Do gays have rights?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they do

    11 27.50%
  • I don't think so

    4 10.00%
  • To deny that is to deny human rights

    22 55.00%
  • I don't read books, but this is perversion

    3 7.50%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 163

Thread: Gay and lesbian rights

  1. #1

    Default Gay and lesbian rights

    I'm starting this thread mainly because currently Lithuania is facing that period when gay rights are being public issue. In particular, this Saturday it had to be the day when gay parade would occur for the first time in Lithuania. However, our Procurator General announced that "the kinds from children house is going to attack gay parade" and therefore this parade might be canceled. To put short, the majority of Lithuanian society is against gay rights. I would even say, the antagonism would remind Middle Ages. So, I'm interested how interbasket would go, for or against gay rights?

    Basically, I think to deny gay rights is to deny your freedom of speech. And I don't want to let any man- intellectual or an idiot- to take my basic rights away.

    PS: I tried to put a poll, but it took too long, surprisingly...

    The flick from the future...

  2. #2
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,172
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    I'm for legitimate rights, whatever they might be. Gay and lesbian rights and often rightfully compared to those of women, blacks in certain countries and indigenous people. In fact much of those rights have their roots in previous struggles for freedom, emancipation and such.

    I'll ad a poll, tell me what the options are Straight forward
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  3. #3
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    What are gay rights? Sucking a d!ck privately at home and having an open legal marriage are quite different from a legal perspective, I must say.

    Let's make the poll anonymous, because this is a very controversial topic.

    Also, it's interesting to see the geography of opinions on this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ri...y_or_territory
    aim low, score high

  4. #4
    Senior Member pohani komarac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,030
    Country: Croatia

    Default

    they can fuck, married or whatever if they wannt...but no adopting chilldren
    Romeo Travis @RomeTrav

    I said coach why we practice so much. He said God will bless us after all this hard work. How can I argue with that !
    Romeo Travis about Zadar coach Ante Nazor

  5. #5

    Default

    Do gays have rights?

    Yes they do

    I don't think so

    To deny that is to deny human rights

    I don't read books, but this is perversion

    The flick from the future...

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Do gays have rights?

    Yes they do

    I don't think so

    To deny that is to deny human rights

    I don't read books, but this is perversion
    1=3, 2=4?

    Also you are not specific on what rights you are talking about. The rights to go to school, play basketball vs. "homosexual acts" vs. marriage vs. adoption. Not the same
    aim low, score high

  7. #7
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,172
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    What are gay rights? Sucking a d!ck privately at home and having an open legal marriage are quite different from a legal perspective, I must say.
    Gay rights are the same as those of women, blacks, etc., i.e. not to be discriminated on the basis of what they are (in this case sexual preference). And that alone covers a whole lot of topics.
    About marriage I know many gays who are against it. Historically it has always been a heterossexual institution and it was made that way. Many gays see it as something that does not concern them at all. It's as if some people wanted the devil to rule the Catholic Church. I mean, the Church is about Jesus, so what's the point of reverting it? It's a highly debatable issue, but not all gays are for things like marriage, adoption, etc.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    1=3, 2=4?

    Also you are not specific on what rights you are talking about. The rights to go to school, play basketball vs. "homosexual acts" vs. marriage vs. adoption. Not the same
    Well, if we would specify gay rights by all possible mean we would have to make about 20 or maybe more statements. As for the poll, let's just concentrate on generality- for or against gays rights generally?

    The flick from the future...

  9. #9
    Senior Member pohani komarac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,030
    Country: Croatia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Gay rights are the same as those of women, blacks, etc., i.e. not to be discriminated on the basis of what they are (in this case sexual preference). And that alone covers a whole lot of topics.
    About marriage I know many gays who are against it. Historically it has always been a heterossexual institution and it was made that way. Many gays see it as something that does not concern them at all. It's as if some people wanted the devil to rule the Catholic Church. I mean, the Church is about Jesus, so what's the point of reverting it? It's a highly debatable issue, but not all gays are for things like marriage, adoption, etc.
    the surley can marrige by law, but law shouldn't force church's to marridge them. that's on churc's. churchs are independent institution and have their own right to decide who and what they will acept. it's like me saying it is my own human right to play for lakers, and they need to bring law so i can play for them, it doesn't matter i'm not good for them

    and no adoption, it's sick, paitfull for kids and totaly against biology. to sticks or two holes can't make baybe
    Romeo Travis @RomeTrav

    I said coach why we practice so much. He said God will bless us after all this hard work. How can I argue with that !
    Romeo Travis about Zadar coach Ante Nazor

  10. #10
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    As for the poll, let's just concentrate on generality- for or against gays rights generally?
    Well with the way your poll is set up it is really hard to vote "no". Because the statement "Gays have no rights" implies that they should be persecuted and incriminated. Don't you see that?
    aim low, score high

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Well with the way your poll is set up it is really hard to vote "no". Because the statement "Gays have no rights" implies that they should be persecuted and incriminated. Don't you see that?
    No, I don't see that. And I don't understand how you see that. Will you explain that?

    If to put it short, gay rights means free choice of your sexual life and the right not to be discriminated of a choice to have sexual relation with the member of the same sex.

    The flick from the future...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    and no adoption, it's sick, paitfull for kids and totaly against biology. to sticks or two holes can't make baybe
    The right of adoption I would intend to call complementary right, having in mind that gays should deal with other issues first in many countries like fear to be discriminated if they would announce their homosexuality in public.
    Than, when society is tolerant enough for gay rights, adoption could be discussed. Such complicated question would occur like- is true that in nature among animals every single case ratify the idea that "mom and dad" raise their descendants? Is true than in history of humans there was always mom and dad raising their children, or was it also only mom, or only dad? Would it be painful (by any means) for kids to grow in the gay family if he lives in the society where gay families are naturally tolerated? And so on and on....

    The flick from the future...

  13. #13
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    the right not to be discriminated of a choice
    Let me put it this way. For example, in countries like the US, smokers are discriminated against a lot. Lots of workplaces make it clear they don't hire smokers. Lots of apartments make it clear they don't rent to smokers. Would you say smokers have no rights in the US?

    I get your point I think, but my point is everything is relative, and not always black-and-white like your question seems to suggest.
    aim low, score high

  14. #14
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,172
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Let me put it this way. For example, in countries like the US, smokers are discriminated against a lot. Lots of workplaces make it clear they don't hire smokers. Lots of apartments make it clear they don't rent to smokers. Would you say smokers have no rights in the US?

    I get your point I think, but my point is everything is relative, and not always black-and-white like your question seems to suggest.
    Smoking damages health and not only of those who smoke. Homossexuality damages nothing. Open homossexuality does not propagate more homossexuality. 99% of gays come from "normal" heterossexual families.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Let me put it this way. For example, in countries like the US, smokers are discriminated against a lot. Lots of workplaces make it clear they don't hire smokers. Lots of apartments make it clear they don't rent to smokers. Would you say smokers have no rights in the US?

    I get your point I think, but my point is everything is relative, and not always black-and-white like your question seems to suggest.
    You asked and I gave you precise description of what is gay rights, and you can vote according to that description if you need. If you think that gay rights should be bound in the sense of such questions as "can they show their penis in the pub, or only do their perversion in the dark room?" than I think you are wrong.

    The flick from the future...

  16. #16
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    99% of gays come from "normal" heterossexual families.
    Well this is obvious, because gays don't have children unless they adapt, duh.

    Also, "Homossexuality damages nothing", this is a very subjective statement, both from a social standpoint and from a medical standpoint.
    aim low, score high

  17. #17
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,172
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Well this is obvious, because gays don't have children unless they adapt, duh.
    Therefore you prove my point. Homossexuality is natural. A child living with two men does not turn homossexual because of that. Got it? Duh?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    Also, "Homossexuality damages nothing", this is a very subjective statement, both from a social standpoint and from a medical standpoint.
    Itself it does not. But of course it damages considering the oppression it suffers. Many gays end up suiciding or living a repressed life. In that sense homossexuality damages, but the problem is outside homossexuality, not within it.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  18. #18
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    A child living with two men does not turn homossexual because of that.
    This is not the same fact as the one you previously stated. You see your logic fallacy? In fact I believe the opposite is true, a child living with two men has a HIGHER frequency of turning gay.

    Just for the record, I'm not a homophobe. I view gay people like smokers: I associate with them but I support placing limitation on their activities. Therefore my previous points.
    aim low, score high

  19. #19
    Administrator rikhardur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    21,172
    Country: Portugal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinobball View Post
    This is not the same fact as the one you previously stated. You see your logic fallacy? In fact I believe the opposite is true, a child living with two men has a HIGHER frequency of turning gay.
    Yes, it's the same fact. By 99% of gays coming out from heterossexual families, living with two men or women does not increase that chance per se. Of course if people feel more at ease with their sexuality, they'll come out of the closet more and not marry a women and live a double life forever, for instance. If more people feel encouraged to denounce rapes, for example, it may appear that more rapes are happening, but no, the fact is they were there all along, but no-one knew about them. The same applies to homossexuality - it would not grow per se. It's not contagious you know? (I know you know, just teasing )

    I'm interested in knowing what you meant with the "medical standpoint" stuff.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

  20. #20
    Senior Member sinobball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Yes, it's the same fact. By 99% of gays coming out from heterossexual families, living with two men or women does not increase that chance per se.
    No it's not. Do this simple math. There are 99000010 families with children in town, only 10 gay families (assuming each family = 1 child). 100 of the children became gay, one from a gay family, therefore 99% of gays coming out from heterossexual families.
    But the probability of turning gay from a straight family = 99/99000000 = 1/1000000
    The probability of turning gay from a gay family = 1/10 = much higher chance
    Of course this is a hypothetical situation, but just to illustrate your logic fallacy
    aim low, score high

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •